Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Oxxidation posted:

So in the game's second act when you're gathering allies, what does Djikstra tell you if you successfully recovered the key and location of his vault? I imagine he still tells you to gently caress off, but more nicely.

He apparently sends two guys for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cat Witcher did nothing wrong :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's kind of funny that all the best loot in this game seems to be from the random stashes around the world. The story always builds it up like you are going to get some awesome item for doing a quest and they always end up being shittier than 90% of what's in my inventory.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

JetsGuy posted:

There's a few steps of reaction levels between "be a doormat" and "kill everyone", methinks.
Sure, but you're a witcher. How exactly do you get money from villagers besides saying "you owe me for what I did, now pay up"? if they refuse, you, what, repeat it again? Rob them? The local lord won't do poo poo, and there's a good chance he'll believe the villagers if there is anything resembling a hearing or trial or whatever. In both Swamp Thing and Black Pearl, Geralt threatens them if they don't pay up, too. They just go "well of course I'm going to pay, you're a goddamned Witcher who can probably kill me with your mind" instead of trying to pitchfork you.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 26, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

JetsGuy posted:

There's a few steps of reaction levels between "be a doormat" and "kill everyone", methinks.

The ability to think of them probably disappears once you've been stabbed, methinks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. Plus Geralt has firsthand experience with the suck that is getting pitchforked.

On top of that, you have to wonder about the villagers being able to arrange the setup without talking about it. "Get the Witcher to the barn and occupy him while randomboy hits him with a pitchfork" has a lot of moving parts that would fall apart pretty easily...unless they had it planned out beforehand. Running down the rest of the village after fighting through the trap was pretty nasty though, but after fighting a tough murderbeast, getting cheated, set up, and pitchforked I'd probably be "gently caress these guys and their families" too.

We need an emote for "That's The Witcher!" for lovely ambiguous situations like :xcom:

It's not ambiguous at all. That type of poo poo is "being a Witcher 101". And also, when you act like that guy did, you are endangering all other Witchers as well by lending credence to the idea that Witchers are psychotic murdering butchers. Putting that guy down is exactly the type of "self policing" that is required within the Witcher subculture.

Some of the ambiguous situations that I've agonized over the most are when you simply have a choice to tell people their loved ones have been killed, or not. I almost always opt to give closure, but it's really interesting that the game gives you this choice.

Also, I'm not a big fan of Lambert, but he is hilarious. I love when he makes fun of Geralt for his "badass one-liners" like "Killing Monsters..."

For how good this game looks, any time someone eats or drinks in a cutscene looks loving terrible. Like, why did they put those scenes in, see what they looked like, and then not completely scrap them? They were pretty good about having the passing of items back and forth be out of frame, which is conspicuous, but doesn't actually look bad.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Getting cheated out of your pay is a fact of life for witchers. If Geralt murdered a village every time someone stiffed him there'd be no one left on the whole continent.

Yeah, but villagers attempting to murder you isn't. In this medieval setting, it's not really unreasonable for a person whose trade is killing to threaten his contractor when he's cheated as that's his only bargaining chip. You have to remember that the piles of cash you get in game aren't actually representative of how witchers generally live (i.e. destitute).

Also, if Geralt killed every witcher who has murdered a village, there'd be no witchers left, including himself.

Snak posted:

It's not ambiguous at all. That type of poo poo is "being a Witcher 101". And also, when you act like that guy did, you are endangering all other Witchers as well by lending credence to the idea that Witchers are psychotic murdering butchers. Putting that guy down is exactly the type of "self policing" that is required within the Witcher subculture.

Fear and hate of witchers isn't born of evil on the witchers' part, but on basic, illogical revulsion to difference (i.e. racism). Ultimately, the massacre in this quest is a result of the villagers' hate of witchers. The villagers didn't try to kill the witcher because "oh no he's threatening us whatever will we do" but because "he's subhuman trash who's being difficult, no one will miss him." It's hard to see if you've played this game but not the first, but witchers are really hated. Like the sort of hate that inspires a mob to march into a fort and kill scores of people because of some pamphlets (wonder why Kaer Morhen is so empty?). Self policing amongst the "witcher subculture" (lmao) isn't going to alleviate the hatred of witchers aside from speeding along their extinction.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 26, 2015

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Oxxidation posted:

So in the game's second act when you're gathering allies, what does Djikstra tell you if you successfully recovered the key and location of his vault? I imagine he still tells you to gently caress off, but more nicely.

I'm paraphrasing here, "Kaer Morhen is beyond my influence, but I'll give you fat bag of crowns and we're even".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gobblecoque posted:

Also, if Geralt killed every witcher who has murdered a village, there'd be no witchers left, including himself.

As far as I know, the "canonical" Geralt has not murdered any villages. And the game doesn't let you attack (or injure in any way) innocent civilians, so I'm not sure how you managed to murder a village on your playthrough. I do vaguely recall an event a hundred+ hours ago where a village did turn on me and I did kill them all in self-defense, but they were all actively attacking me right up until they died. I did not chase them down as they fled and stab them in the back.

And yes, Geralt is actually a big softy, as Witchers go.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Still no way to check total play time on PS4? I've played a lot, but not a literal week of my short, lovely life.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Snak posted:

As far as I know, the "canonical" Geralt has not murdered any villages. And the game doesn't let you attack (or injure in any way) innocent civilians, so I'm not sure how you managed to murder a village on your playthrough. I do vaguely recall an event a hundred+ hours ago where a village did turn on me and I did kill them all in self-defense, but they were all actively attacking me right up until they died. I did not chase them down as they fled and stab them in the back.

So we're cool with the Cat dude's actions up until he kills the people fleeing?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ravenfood posted:

I think most people would agree that its more than complicated than just walk away and get cheated vs massacre every living thing in the village. Killing the assholes in the barn is ok, but murdering all the innocents in a blind rage is not ok. I would have been ok even if he simply barged into every home and robbed them blind but murdering defenseless people who did nothing bad other than live in the wrong village is just wrong.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

counterpoint: if he let them get away with it, it lends credence to the idea that Witchers are bitches who will work for free and not do anything about it when you decide to not pay them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

I mean, I think that's definitely what puts it out of a grey area. Also, the fact that this has happened before and, rather than wise up and be more careful, he seems to just keep "solving" the problem the same way is a good indicator that he's a serious danger, both to regular people and to witchers by proxy. I mean, we weren't there, we only have the hard evidence we found with our witcher senses and his description of events. The fact that he describes the murder of defenseless civilians as "getting carried away" is pretty big red flag. The fact that we're even having this argument is kind of blowing my mind.

Lawnie posted:

Still no way to check total play time on PS4? I've played a lot, but not a literal week of my short, lovely life.

As far as I know, there is not. The only way to get an accurate number would be to exit the app completely every time you stop playing. I assume it's impossible to retroactively fix it and find out how much you've played. Which is a shame, really. You would think that the PS4's amazingly implemented suspend feature wouldn't break logging how much you've played.

edit:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

counterpoint: if he let them get away with it, it lends credence to the idea that Witchers are bitches who will work for free and not do anything about it when you decide to not pay them.
Cat School account spotted.

edit2: I was thinking about this a little more... At first I was thinking "why don't Witchers have some kind of black book of people who have cheated Witchers in the past?" Well because witchers work alone. And why do Witchers work alone? I don't know the canon answer to this (I suspect it's because "lone badasses are awesome"), but I can think of several: Firstly, Witchers are rare. Only 3/10 boys survive the Trial of the Grasses. Witchers are phsyically capable of working alone. That's the purpose of their mutations and training. And finally, Witchers are already feared and hated, but considered a necesarry evil by most. They are supposed to remain neutral, and while they occasionally team up, they don't really function as a guild, even within schools. If Witchers were to be organized and coordinated, it would paint a giant target on them. They would be a huge threat to the balance of power and remaining "neutral" would be impossible.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 26, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

I mean, I think that's definitely what puts it out of a grey area. Also, the fact that this has happened before and, rather than wise up and be more careful, he seems to just keep "solving" the problem the same way is a good indicator that he's a serious danger, both to regular people and to witchers by proxy. I mean, we weren't there, we only have the hard evidence we found with our witcher senses and his description of events. The fact that he describes the murder of defenseless civilians as "getting carried away" is pretty big red flag. The fact that we're even having this argument is kind of blowing my mind.

Maybe all those people should have paid up. Yea let me try and cheat this roided out and mentally scarred up killer. This will surely end in my favor!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maybe all those people should have paid up. Yea let me try and cheat this roided out and mentally scarred up killer. This will surely end in my favor!
That we also basically treat like filth constantly.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Maybe he could have just shaken them down a bit instead of going batshit and killing everyone.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Snak posted:

Geralt pretty much wiped out the Vizima Outskirts in the first game.

The Sharmat posted:

Maybe he could have just shaken them down a bit instead of going batshit and killing everyone.

Getting a pitchfork in the side is probably a pretty good way of getting someone to go batshit. :v:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Gobblecoque posted:

Geralt pretty much wiped out the Vizima Outskirts in the first game.

The village attacked him in a giant mob. Not the same.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

He tried, then they pitchforked him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm stuck on A land far far away quest. I'm on the part where you are supposed to find the second ship, and when I go to Novigrad there is a huge yellow area that spans parts of two villages and island and an inlet. I can't find a drat thing or where I am supposed to go. There is a wrecked ship on the island but it doesn't appear to do anything. Anyone know what I am supposed to do here?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
If you don't pay your plumber for fixing your pipes he is obviously justified in killing you over it.

But if Ghostbusters can put a ghost back in your place if you don't pay up, it'd be beneficial to witchers to learn to disable monsters instead of just taking care of the problem permanently by default. But the possible negotiating tactics for Witchers all involve killing something or someone. Crossing a witcher is not too far off from stiffing the mob or a hired assassin and falls into similar lines of interactions.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Anyone who killed the Cat Witcher is a monster and should have their medallion revoked.

As far as I'm concerned you're allowed to murder or maim as many peasants as you can if the pitchfork is still literally hanging out of your back.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

Dont like it? One up the last crazy and buy me a new one, you seem like the type of person that spends 10bux on an avatar is is totally sane.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In the "A Tower out of Nowheres" quest, I really like how the tower's defense system is rift-gating in monsters to gently caress you up, like an alghoul, an elemental, a werewolf, and then finally... a cow.

Also if there isn't a Ras Alghoul pun anywhere in this game I will be disappointed.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

420 Gank Mid posted:

Dont like it? One up the last crazy and buy me a new one, you seem like the type of person that spends 10bux on an avatar is is totally sane.

I didn't realize it was bought for you by someone else. Usually that involves giant red text.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

I didn't realize it was bought for you by someone else. Usually that involves giant red text.

FYAD has lost their touch, if they come looking for it tell them to look in 2002

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
He should have just Axii'd the gently caress out of them for the money. That's what Geralt does whenever someone mouths off to him in my game :colbert:

Though that dumbass should have known they were going to shank him as soon as they were like "oh yeah, walk into this barn, we'll be right behind you."

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I found a favorite armor:

Too bad it has garbage stats but it's fashion that counts the most anyway.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Speaking of did they change the look of the griffin gear? The mastercrafted griffin looks like it has more gold and such

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So when are the large expansions planned for release?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

I found a favorite armor:

Too bad it has garbage stats but it's fashion that counts the most anyway.

Are you deliberately trying to make Geralt look like some albino fantasy version of TV-Ragnar Lodbrok?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Sharmat posted:

Are you deliberately trying to make Geralt look like some albino fantasy version of TV-Ragnar Lodbrok?
It's just a phase, dad.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also latest Witcher 3 mini-game - save on top of a mountain:

SSX to the bottom:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Verranicus posted:

So when are the large expansions planned for release?

Fall this year for the 1st smaller expansion, early next year for the longer 2nd one

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Lawnie posted:

I'd like to know this as well, the total play time in the character menu says I've played for 7 days so far which seems a little high to me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I wish there was a cosmetic slot for armor.

Also, I automatically side with witcherbros whenever I meet them. Racism goes both ways assholes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spite posted:

He should have just Axii'd the gently caress out of them for the money. That's what Geralt does whenever someone mouths off to him in my game :colbert:

Though that dumbass should have known they were going to shank him as soon as they were like "oh yeah, walk into this barn, we'll be right behind you."

I mean if he was a real dick, he would've used Axii to convince one of them to kill the rest. Like Lambert!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

I wish there was a cosmetic slot for armor.

Fashionbros. There are quite a few armour pieces I really like the look of but I'd sacrifice considerable bonus effects by wearing. A towel-only playthrough would be entertaining though.

I spent many, many hours completing quests and interacting with plebs while wearing the white wolf mask.