Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

What's the equivalent of pointing your wiimote down with the mouse What do you need to do with the mouse to approximate the instructions "point your wiimote down"? I tried pointing the mouse cursor pretty much everywhere on the screen, including the toolbar, and the game simply won't recognize what I'm trying to do.

The mouse corresponds to the IR bar, which is used for accurate pointing. Pointing the wiimote down would be using the accelerometer controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ryoshi posted:

Thanks for the link! Sorry if this is super obvious, only scanned the page for a second (on my phone at the moment) - is this specifically for Bluetooth connections or will it work for USB as well?

You can also try Better DS3. Works for BT and USB (which is how I used to use it).

Uses the Motion in Joy backend, but without going online.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

site posted:

You can also try Better DS3. Works for BT and USB (which is how I used to use it).

Without obviously going online.

The MotionInJoy driver comes from the same people who thought system privileges for a control panel with Internet ads was a good idea. Because of how it's built, this means whatever cryptoware/evidence planters/password skimmers/other garbage is in Internet ads these days (because not even Google does due diligence screening ad submissions before circulating them) ALSO gets system privileges. The implications are obvious and staggering, and I shouldn't have to explain why the driver would be suspect even if you never pulled the front-end off the host that the driver came from.

They can go gently caress themselves and you should be ashamed of yourself for giving them the time of day.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 5, 2015

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

site posted:

It's just better to use the xinput stuff instead of dealing with 'just the backend' of a rootkit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kild posted:

It's just better to use the xinput stuff instead of dealing with 'just the backend' of a rootkit.

You are right and I should say my gaming computer isn't hooked up to the net so I didn't have to worry about it (although I would like to know if there is actually anything confirmed going on in the background when using BetterDS3 and not just your guy's not unfounded paranoia).

However,

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Without obviously going online.

The MotionInJoy driver comes from the same people who thought system privileges for a control panel with Internet ads was a good idea. Because of how it's built, this means whatever cryptoware/evidence planters/password skimmers/other garbage is in Internet ads these days (because not even Google does due diligence screening ad submissions before circulating them) ALSO gets system privileges. The implications are obvious and staggering, and I shouldn't have to explain why the driver would be suspect even if you never pulled the front-end off the host that the driver came from.

They can go gently caress themselves and you should be ashamed of yourself for giving them the time of day.

This is just :laffo:

Don't get so bent outta shape over it dude.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Suspicious Dish posted:

The mouse corresponds to the IR bar, which is used for accurate pointing. Pointing the wiimote down would be using the accelerometer controls.
I don't actually know what any of these (besides mouse) mean :)

In this case, we're talking about Fast Draw Showdown. The mouse moves the aiming reticule around, and can be used to fire and reload. However, before the duel starts, you're supposed to "holster" your gun by pointing the wiimote down - something I can't quite manage to get the game to register.

What an accelerometer, and how do I control it to point down?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

site posted:

You are right and I should say my gaming computer isn't hooked up to the net so I didn't have to worry about it (although I would like to know if there is actually anything confirmed going on in the background when using BetterDS3 and not just your guy's not unfounded paranoia).

1) How does having a game computer not on the Internet even work anymore?

2) I wonder if you realize how abnormal having a home Windows machine be not on the Internet is these days. It kind of puts a damper in how fit you are to recommend things to people.

Are you going to recommend they pull their computers off the Internet next?

3) It doesn't matter if there's a confirmed security risk in software if you already know the people who wrote it deal in poor faith (and if the MotionInJoy front-end isn't poor faith, nothing is). MotionInJoy's authors have unapologetically dealt in hazardous software before, therefore all of their software is presumed hazardous. The onus is now on you to prove the driver without the front-end is safe - or to admit your error and take back your recommendation.

And BetterDS3 is useless without MotionInJoy's driver, so it gets to be tarred with the same brush as MotionInJoy's authors. BetterDS3's authors are in the clear, but that only applies to software they write that isn't dependent on other people's dodgy software to work.

quote:

Don't get so bent outta shape over it dude.

Because you recommending a driver with rootkits, regardless of any alleged mitigation strategy, deserves a pass (or even a gentle 'are you sure that's wise') for ... any reason ever?

Scarlet.Crush completely and uniformly superseded it, has a clean track record, and is very well known among people who play PC games with PS3 controllers and actually use the Internet. So when you suggest someone use a backdoor because you can slap a board over it, you don't get the benefit of the doubt.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 6, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Xander77 posted:

I don't actually know what any of these (besides mouse) mean :)

In this case, we're talking about Fast Draw Showdown. The mouse moves the aiming reticule around, and can be used to fire and reload. However, before the duel starts, you're supposed to "holster" your gun by pointing the wiimote down - something I can't quite manage to get the game to register.

What an accelerometer, and how do I control it to point down?

Surely you must at least be familiar with the wii remote, the basic method of control wii games used. The IR bar was a censor bar with two IR receivers, the wii remote sent out an infrared light and the IR bar picked it up and triangulated where it was pointing for precise pointing controls. The mouse in dolphin is only used to simulate that aspect.

The wii remote also has an accelerometer, a device that basically detects motion in specific directions. In the dolphin controller config screen, there should be options for wii remote tilt controls. On my 360 controller, I like to set the tilt controls to my right joystick. The tilt down control should be what you need to do in order to virtually holster your weapon.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The sensor bar is actually just two sets of IR LEDs and the Wii mote did the receiving. It's a bit of a misnomer. You can just swap the sensor bar out for a pair of candles and it'll work just fine.
Except for the Wii U, which doesn't allow you to use the pointer if there's no sensor bar connected, not even when using the gamepad's IR LEDs.
:goonsay:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I actually knew that and got it mixed up when typing anyways. :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's time for the June Progress Report! This time: netplay improvements, ARMv7 support dies as AArch64 support comes to life, UI tools for fancy downsampling stuff for people with crazy GPUs, a massive performance boost specific to NSMB Wii, OSX fixes, and PAL games work better now.

Also on the topic of Dolphin, I got my hands on a Dolphinbar recently, and damned if it doesn't work a whole lot better than the other stuff I've tried (a wireless sensor bar and my lovely $5 bluetooth dongle that I use for my Dualshock 4). Throwing in my recommendation there!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Shame that they dropped ARMv7, since that effectively kills the Shield Tablet support

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

The Kins posted:

and PAL games work better now.

I'm very happy that this is finally fixed, it has annoyed me for a long time. And it was such a simple thing, too, once I realized what was happening!

It didn't help that every report of the issue was always brushed off as "well maybe the game doesn't support PAL60 then" or similar.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm very happy that this is finally fixed, it has annoyed me for a long time. And it was such a simple thing, too, once I realized what was happening!

It didn't help that every report of the issue was always brushed off as "well maybe the game doesn't support PAL60 then" or similar.

Thanks for all your hard work on fixing this!

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno where else to put this but I recently found an N64 emulator that has internet play for those who are interested, it works pretty well: http://pj64k.blogspot.com/

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Until it can play Pokemon Snap, it is a failure.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's just a version of Project 64. It's still kinda terrible, but Mario 64 Multiplayer works I guess.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I've searched around for this and haven't been able to find a good answer. What's a good CPU + GPU pairing to run more intensive Dolphin games (Xenoblade, Mario Galaxies) without lag at 3x internal resolution or 1080p with added AA?

e: This is probably a better question for the SH/SC parts picking thread!

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 19, 2015

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
Which bluetooth adapter and sensor bar should I use for Dolphin? I have a feeling Metroid Prime Trilogy is not going to work with a DS4.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Get the dolphin bar, it does both. It even lets you use Wiimote Pluses!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Heran Bago posted:

I've searched around for this and haven't been able to find a good answer. What's a good CPU + GPU pairing to run more intensive Dolphin games (Xenoblade, Mario Galaxies) without lag at 3x internal resolution or 1080p with added AA?

A haswell quad-core with a decent clockspeed + any midrange GPU.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Heran Bago posted:

Just about any recent unlocked Intel processor will suffice, I couldn't discern any difference in dolphin with my 4690k at 4.5ghz or 4.8. With GPU's however, the experience wasn't entirely smooth at those settings with a GeForce 760 and I had to disable AA. After upgrading to a 970 everything was perfect, so the sweet spot is probably somewhere between those two cards.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

But she kept dat ass.

ChaosArgate posted:

Get the dolphin bar, it does both. It even lets you use Wiimote Pluses!

Link?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Just about any recent unlocked Intel processor will suffice, I couldn't discern any difference in dolphin with my 4690k at 4.5ghz or 4.8. With GPU's however, the experience wasn't entirely smooth at those settings with a GeForce 760 and I had to disable AA. After upgrading to a 970 everything was perfect, so the sweet spot is probably somewhere between those two cards.

a 760 is more than good enough for 1080 + AA dude

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Hace posted:

a 760 is more than good enough for 1080 + AA dude

I forgot to mention I was running Xenoblade with a high-def texture pack (why would you play any other way?). Still saw noticeably better performance in Galaxies moving to a 970, nothing massive just the occasional judder ironed out. A mid-range card is certainly more than adequate but moving to a tier up did yield a smoother experience.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 26, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

My bad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZWEB74/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_V6gTvb0GED32H

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

I forgot to mention I was running Xenoblade with a high-def texture pack (why would you play any other way?). Still saw noticeably better performance in Galaxies moving to a 970, nothing massive just the occasional judder ironed out. A mid-range card is certainly more than adequate but moving to a tier up did yield a smoother experience.

I run Xenoblade with the high def texture packs with an i5-4570 and a 760 and it runs silky smooth. 760s are considered mid-range, right?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

ChaosArgate posted:

I run Xenoblade with the high def texture packs with an i5-4570 and a 760 and it runs silky smooth. 760s are considered mid-range, right?

Yup! And it's replacement (the 960) would run even smoother!

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

But she kept dat ass.
Thanks man.

Also, with these current specs: i7 4770k 3.5Ghz processor, MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB, and 16GB of Ram. Would I be able to record and play decently?

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

My bad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZWEB74/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_V6gTvb0GED32H

I was still getting smooth performance but certain areas (engaging in battle in certain places mostly, Aclamoth being the worst) would cause some stutter periodically, it bothered me enough to disable AA then everything was rock solid. I had the same experience with Dolphin and PCSX2 moving to a faster card, both fine before but noticeably more consistent after. I built this PC with emulation in mind assuming a 760 would enough, it was (not so much for PC games at 2560x1080) but I still regret not getting the 970 at the beginning because it did improve the experience enough.

Toxsyl posted:

Thanks man.

Also, with these current specs: i7 4770k 3.5Ghz processor, MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB, and 16GB of Ram. Would I be able to record and play decently?

Should be more than enough, can't speak for recording though.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 26, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Toxsyl posted:

Thanks man.

For recording you should be fine, just use something a program that's v. multithreaded to take advantage of your i7

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

But she kept dat ass.

Hace posted:

For recording you should be fine, just use something a program that's v. multithreaded to take advantage of your i7

Like Dxtory?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Probably should ask, what're your guys' thoughts on the Emulated CPU Clock Override feature? I tried it, and it felt reasonably alright on an A8-6600K/GTX 750 Ti SC combo. Not sure if it'd be any better if I deliberately went for some of the performance bits, like 4:3 res or something.

Also, why must this game have such a huge compromise in the loading stages? It's either 10 mins on Licensed by Nintendo or a black menu.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I had to rollback on the latest Dolphin (from 4.7 to 4.5) because of a constant clicking noise on the audio. What is that problem?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Does it happen on all games? What audio backend are you using?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Is there any way to improve the OGL frame pacing problems in windowed mode, and the slightly muted colors compared to D3D? D3D seems to getting more broken every month so I'd rather not use that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I have no idea what "frame pacing problems" are. Can you give an example of muted colors? I can think of a few reasons but a screenshot would help a lot.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
OGL windowed just doesn't seem nearly as smooth as D3D windowed, it even stutters intermittently! I might just over-sensitive to it, but it's definitely present.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Performance problems heavily depend on the game, your GPU/graphics card, and plenty of other factors. Not much we can say generally, without knowing the exact specifics.

widespread posted:

Also, why must this game have such a huge compromise in the loading stages? It's either 10 mins on Licensed by Nintendo or a black menu.

The game does stupidly slow thing where it pokes the license screens one pixel at a time and then reads back the value. It's fast on the Gamecube since it's all memory-mapped, but it's slow on actual GPUs for silly reasons. We recently added a new EFB poke implementation in OpenGL, so try that.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Suspicious Dish posted:

The game does stupidly slow thing where it pokes the license screens one pixel at a time and then reads back the value. It's fast on the Gamecube since it's all memory-mapped, but it's slow on actual GPUs for silly reasons. We recently added a new EFB poke implementation in OpenGL, so try that.

Okay, I take it it's in a new build? Because I'm on 4.0-7101 and I don't see it anywhere yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Are you sure you're using OpenGL? It was merged back at the end of May. https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/2357

• Locked thread