Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Also was the CGI/de-aging used for the opening scene with Michael Douglas REALLY good or am I just easily impressed?

Well, I've actually never seen a Michael Douglas film before this and I spent the whole movie thinking they had aged him up for the bulk of Ant-Man, if that tells you anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jivjov posted:

Well, I've actually never seen a Michael Douglas film before this

If you're not joking you should remedy this, because Douglas has been in some amazing films.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

If you're not joking you should remedy this, because Douglas has been in some amazing films.

That's what I've been hearing. recommend me a starting point, if you'd be so kind.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

The last movie I saw him in was Behind the Candelabra where he played Liberace and the makeup effects were really good in that too, I like that Douglas is a guy who isn't afraid to look completely different for a role.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

jivjov posted:

That's what I've been hearing. recommend me a starting point, if you'd be so kind.

Falling Down and The Game are good starters. Wall Street is probably his most iconic movie but I never really liked it

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

He's pretty great in 'The Ghost and the Darkness', as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jivjov posted:

Check out The Game, it's one of my favorites (directed by David Fincher!). As already noted, Falling Down is also quite good. Check out War of the Roses too for some dark comedy, and then just for kicks/something lighter check out the romantic (action) comedies Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile, which features the same trio of Douglas/Kathleen Turner and Danny DeVito.

Wall Street is a tour-de-force from Douglas but it wasn't a movie that I particularly enjoyed watching. Often overlooked is The Ghost and the Darkness, which co-stars Val Kilmer of all people and is a guilty pleasure of mine. There's also Basic Instinct but that is a movie that comes with a lot of baggage, and one I don't think has aged all that well (better than Disclosure though!).

Edit: Traffic and Wonder Boys are also pretty good ones, the latter in particular is a lot of fun while the former is pretty heavy stuff.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 26, 2015

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The de-aging was a lot more impressive than the much higher budgeted TERMINATOR: GENYSIS, which still had that TRON 2 thing going on for me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Jerusalem posted:

Check out The Game, it's one of my favorites (directed by David Fincher!). As already noted, Falling Down is also quite good. Check out War of the Roses too for some dark comedy, and then just for kicks/something lighter check out the romantic (action) comedies Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile, which features the same trio of Douglas/Kathleen Turner and Danny DeVito.

Wall Street is a tour-de-force from Douglas but it wasn't a movie that I particularly enjoyed watching. Often overlooked is The Ghost and the Darkness, which co-stars Val Kilmer of all people and is a guilty pleasure of mine. There's also Basic Instinct but that is a movie that comes with a lot of baggage, and one I don't think has aged all that well (better than Disclosure though!).

Edit: Traffic and Wonder Boys are also pretty good ones, the latter in particular is a lot of fun while the former is pretty heavy stuff.

All of this is good advice. Michael Douglas is a great actor, and if somebody has managed to not see any of the above they should rectify that immediately.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yah, Michael Douglas (and his father Kirk) are goddamn legends and royalty. Romancing the Stone is awesome, esp. if you like Indiana Jones.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I think I'm gonna go watch Romancing the Stone again because of this derail :woop:

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

WarLocke posted:

I think I'm gonna go watch Romancing the Stone again because of this derail :woop:

I was thinking the same thing

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What's funny is that Romancing the Stone was one of my mother's favorite movies, and I know that I was in the room for at least one viewing of it...so I have seen a prior Michael Douglas film...I just have no real memory of it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Vintersorg posted:

Yah, Michael Douglas (and his father Kirk) are goddamn legends and royalty. Romancing the Stone is awesome, esp. if you like Indiana Jones.

Kirk is still around too, or was a few months ago anyway. Not doing well though :/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRyTISNDkkM

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

jivjov posted:

Well, I've actually never seen a Michael Douglas film before this and I spent the whole movie thinking they had aged him up for the bulk of Ant-Man, if that tells you anything.

Jivjov please watch something other than a comic book movie.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

TheJoker138 posted:

It's pretty similar tonally to Guardians.

Its nice that Scott had to earn Hope and Hank's respect, whereas Starlord was just like "you're my best friend in the universe, cartoon rat I met yesterday" for no reason.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Its nice that Scott had to earn Hope and Hank's respect, whereas Starlord was just like "you're my best friend in the universe, cartoon rat I met yesterday" for no reason.

You wouldn't want him as a best friend? He comes with a plant!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I saw it yesterday

Shrinking/expanding random objects will never get old :)

Irish Joe posted:

Starlord making quick friends with whatever weird space oddity is completely in his character tho

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Why is Falcon a member of the Avengers, again? Didn't he basically steal the falcon suit from the army? Ditto with War Machine. Or are the new Avengers part of the US Army?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Why is Falcon a member of the Avengers, again? Didn't he basically steal the falcon suit from the army? Ditto with War Machine. Or are the new Avengers part of the US Army?

You should watch Age of Ultron

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Jivjov please watch something other than a comic book movie.

I do, frequently. I just managed to miss one guy completely

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

WarLocke posted:

You should watch Age of Ultron

To be fair he doesn't do anything in Ultron

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

effectual posted:

Kirk is still around too, or was a few months ago anyway. Not doing well though :/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRyTISNDkkM

I'd say that's doing pretty effin' well for 98 years old. He has problems speaking for obvious reasons but clearly his mind's still working fine, that's pretty much the best you can hope for at that kinda age.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ravel posted:

To be fair he doesn't do anything in Ultron

Yeah but the end explains why he was hanging around an Avengers base in Ant-man

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't think AoU addresses the question of whether Rhodes is still in the Air Force and, if so, what that means for him being in the Avengers.

In regards to Falcon, his flight suit was messed up in Winter Soldier, and I think his new one looks a little different, so it's presumably Stark tech. Sort of cheap not to give him a real suit, though. He's on the same team as War Machine and gets the version without armor or weapons.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't think AoU addresses the question of whether Rhodes is still in the Air Force and, if so, what that means for him being in the Avengers.

In regards to Falcon, his flight suit was messed up in Winter Soldier, and I think his new one looks a little different, so it's presumably Stark tech. Sort of cheap not to give him a real suit, though. He's on the same team as War Machine and gets the version without armor or weapons.

Wings look cooler though.

And why should I have to watch a different movie to understand what a guy is doing in this movie?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

effectual posted:

And why should I have to [reference] a different [piece of media] to understand what a guy is doing in this [piece of media]?

Welcome to comics!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

effectual posted:

And why should I have to watch a different movie to understand what a guy is doing in this movie?

The only reason there's any confusion about what he's doing there is because you saw a different movie. Specifically, you saw the one that came two episodes before this one, but not the one directly between them.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

effectual posted:

If you hadn't watched another movie (Winter Soldier) you wouldn't care or notice who he was and he would just be a character.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

effectual posted:

Because the Marvel movies are very obviously serialized and none of them are totally stand alone. Yes, this is not the way movies have traditionally worked, but it is working just fine for them, and is one of those things that you are going to just have to accept.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

effectual posted:

You don't need to. All you need to know is There is an old Stark/Shield lab, that has a macguffin that Pym/Lang need to complete the heist. They go there. They expect an old warehouse, they see it's been upgraded and is currently in use. There's a dude there defending that newer base(doesn't even matter who that dude is really in reference to the plot of the movie.) Lang manages to disable the dude defending the base, gets the macguffin and gets away.

Literally nothing about the Falcon other than he's the defender of that upgraded base matters. Then at the end the Falcon is looking for information on the shrinky guy.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I liked the movie, the humor was a bit hit and miss at times. Loved the gag of Luis being super into art and culture, but for instance the 'B&R always finds out' joke fell kinda flat. I think the movie's tone probably shifted a lot with the director change, and along with the need to connect it to the greater Marvel universe dragged it down a bit.

I did like how it stuck to being a heist movie mostly, and Scott's powers were nicely realized. You can see how he'd be a useful superhero even against major villains.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

davidspackage posted:

I liked the movie, the humor was a bit hit and miss at times. Loved the gag of Luis being super into art and culture, but for instance the 'B&R always finds out' joke fell kinda flat. I think the movie's tone probably shifted a lot with the director change, and along with the need to connect it to the greater Marvel universe dragged it down a bit.

I did like how it stuck to being a heist movie mostly, and Scott's powers were nicely realized. You can see how he'd be a useful superhero even against major villains.

According to Marvel in a couple of interviews, the main changes from the directors were the opening scene of Pym leaving SHIELD, the Avengers building/Falcon fight, and greatly expanding Hope as a character when she was little more than a cameo in the original version.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 27, 2015

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cythereal posted:

According to Marvel in a couple of interviews, the main changes from the directors were the opening scene of Pym leaving SHIELD, the Avengers building/Falcon fight, and greatly expanding Hope as a character when she was little more than a cameo in the original version.

I'm inclined to say that less Hope would've been a good thing. Lilly and Douglas don't really have any chemistry.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

I'm inclined to say that less Hope would've been a good thing. Lilly and Douglas don't really have any chemistry.

Hope felt like a totally superfluous character

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Ramagamma posted:

Hope felt like a totally superfluous character

Once someone (in this thread) pointed out she was the superior ant-person, I don't know how to feel about the movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Red posted:

Once someone (in this thread) pointed out she was the superior ant-person, I don't know how to feel about the movie.

How do we even know that, we never saw her in the suit? She sure sounds confident though, which is weird since daddy would've never let her near a suit after what happened to her mom. Also Paul Rudd even admits in the movie he's the antman because he's expendable.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

effectual posted:

How do we even know that, we never saw her in the suit? She sure sounds confident though, which is weird since daddy would've never let her near a suit after what happened to her mom. Also Paul Rudd even admits in the movie he's the antman because he's expendable.

The table scene where she seemingly-effortlessly makes a whole swarm of ants dump suger in tea while also totally covering the light implies that she has a lot more control than Scott does.

And she's the one who teaches him to fight, so she's better at that too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

effectual posted:

He got the suit because he's expendable, but that doesn't make him the most qualified.

Hope and Hank taught him everything he'd need to know - all he brought to the table was his expertise in theft. Then, it turned out he was a perfect Ant-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Hope is there because these movies need grumpy moms to frown and scold their jokester male counterpart/child.

• Locked thread