Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm done with the oban 14 and I really enjoyed it, but I still lean towards the yamazaki as my favorite so far. What should I try next? Budget is $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Aberlour Abunadh

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Google Butt posted:

I'm done with the oban 14 and I really enjoyed it, but I still lean towards the yamazaki as my favorite so far. What should I try next? Budget is $100.

Glenlivet Nadurra 16

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Glenlivet Nadurra 16

I'll try that next time, just picked up a bottle of the Abelour..

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Google Butt posted:

I'll try that next time, just picked up a bottle of the Abelour..

Holy poo poo is this stuff rich, wow.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Google Butt posted:

Holy poo poo is this stuff rich, wow.

Which batch did you get? Lot of people saying the 49 is better than the 50.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Nill posted:

Which batch did you get? Lot of people saying the 49 is better than the 50.

This is the 50, 59.6% abv.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I can't get enough of Laphroaig QC. I'm fortunate in that I enjoy both peaty and sherries whisky, but both of them together, drat.

It's been ridiculously hot here so I started making some cocktails with some cheaper bourbon that I won't drink neat. Whisky Sour and a Bourbon Sidecar were great, anything else I should try?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Armed Neutrality posted:

I can't get enough of Laphroaig QC. I'm fortunate in that I enjoy both peaty and sherries whisky, but both of them together, drat.

It's been ridiculously hot here so I started making some cocktails with some cheaper bourbon that I won't drink neat. Whisky Sour and a Bourbon Sidecar were great, anything else I should try?

Old fashioned or manhattan - both are pretty easy to make - although at least the former is definitely better when using a mid-range bourbon than a cheap one.

I love Laphroaig QC too - it's definitely my favorite so far out of 25 or so different scotches I've tried
The smoke and the creamyness make it great, plus it's on the lower end of the cost spectrum

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Armed Neutrality posted:

Mint julep. One of the best hot-weather cocktails there is.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I need to try a mint julep at a non-lovely bar. The last one was godawful.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need a recommendation, of an American whiskey or bourbon, something in the "nicer" range, probably around $60-$100 or so, to drink neat.

~MY GIRLFRIEND~ is from a country which was previously under communist rule during the USSR. Her parents live in a small town in eastern Europe and don't speak english, but her dad apparently really likes American whiskey (which is/was difficult or impossible to find there).

They want to meet me, so we're going to fly in to visit them. Given that this is the first time I've visited them and I can't actually communicate in any meaningful way, I've decided that I'm going to bring her dad a bottle of American whiskey, and I need some recommendations of what to get.

I was thinking like Angels Envy or maybe Buffalo Trace reserve (since that's what I usually drink), but am looking for other suggestions as well. Imagine what you would want if you were from the Eastern Bloc, didn't have access to any American whiskey, and are meeting the guy who's sleeping with your daughter for the first time.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 25, 2015

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I need a recommendation, of an American whiskey or bourbon, something in the "nicer" range, probably around $60-$100 or so, to drink neat.

~MY GIRLFRIEND~ is from a country which was previously under communist rule during the USSR. Her parents live in a small town in eastern Europe and don't speak english, but her dad apparently really likes American whiskey (which is/was difficult or impossible to find there).

They want to meet me, so we're going to fly in to visit them. Given that this is the first time I've visited them and I can't actually communicate in any meaningful way, I've decided that I'm going to bring her dad a bottle of American whiskey, and I need some recommendations of what to get.

I was thinking like Angels Envy or maybe Buffalo Trace reserve (since that's what I usually drink), but am looking for other suggestions as well. Imagine what you would want if you were from the Eastern Bloc, didn't have access to any American whiskey, and are meeting the guy who's sleeping with your daughter for the first time.

Does he like his whisky strong? Willett rye of any age is one of my favorites, and it typically in the 50-60 price range or more depending where you live.

For smoother offerings in bourbon, I'm not the best person to ask. Willett pot still bourbon is good, and makes a great gift because of the beautiful bottle, shaped like a copper pot still.
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/willetts-pot-still-single-barrel-whisky/

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Elijah Craig dog. No need to go expensive. Or Blantons

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you gently caress up a mint julep? It's crushed ice, a little sugar, bourbon, and mint.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We didn't go back to that bar. Their standard pours were double, but their general standards were poor.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Bookers, Stagg Jr. or Blantons.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus posted:

How do you gently caress up a mint julep? It's crushed ice, a little sugar, bourbon, and mint.

Oh right, I just remembered that video on how to gently caress up a mint julep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk57WmewiRA&t=79s

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Armed Neutrality posted:

one of my go-to summer drinks is the Whiskey Smash. quarter half a lemon, muddle with mint and some sugar (or simple syrup), add 2 oz of bourbon, shake.

if your yard is like mine, it's also good for keeping the mint from overtaking the flowerbed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Imagine what you would want if you were from the Eastern Bloc,

WT Rare Breed, Bakers, Four Roses Single Barrel, Woodford Double Oaked or maybe their latest Master Collection; take something good.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh right, I just remembered that video on how to gently caress up a mint julep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk57WmewiRA&t=79s

There is so much wrong with that drink :wtc:. That thing looks like an abomination that tries to combine a whiskey sour (lemon->lime) and mint julep before converting into a highball by adding Sprite (though IBA does list a highball glass for juleps). I might need to figure out if there are any decent bourbon based highballs that aren't that thing since I am more likely to sip on those during the summer.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 26, 2015

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Mr. Glass posted:

one of my go-to summer drinks is the Whiskey Smash. quarter half a lemon, muddle with mint and some sugar (or simple syrup), add 2 oz of bourbon, shake.

if your yard is like mine, it's also good for keeping the mint from overtaking the flowerbed.

Yes, this too. (I planted my mint in a buried flowerpot, keeps it under control for the most part)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

kirtar posted:

There is so much wrong with that drink :wtc:. That thing looks like an abomination that tries to combine a whiskey sour (lemon->lime) and mint julep before converting into a highball by adding Sprite (though IBA does a highball glass for juleps). I might need to figure out if there are any decent bourbon based highballs that aren't that thing since I am more likely to sip on those during the summer.

A mint julep as a highball sounds like it'd be pretty good too, but I'd just add more seltzer to do that

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Booyah- posted:

Does he like his whisky strong? Willett rye of any age is one of my favorites, and it typically in the 50-60 price range or more depending where you live.

For smoother offerings in bourbon, I'm not the best person to ask. Willett pot still bourbon is good, and makes a great gift because of the beautiful bottle, shaped like a copper pot still.
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/willetts-pot-still-single-barrel-whisky/

I second this. Haven't tried the Rye, but the Single Barrel Reserve was drat impressive.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Old fashioned or manhattan

only true answer

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sadly, it seems like every bartender, sans chris mcmillan, completely messes the drink up.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Very easily; the old fashioneded is even easier and people still mess than up about 7 times out of 10.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

PRADA SLUT posted:

The thing with American whiskey is that it's basically all in that price range, but the good stuff is simply hard to find. Assuming you won't be able to find the 'good' stuff, i'll list some stuff a notch below that you should be able to come across fairly easily:
garrison brothers, 1870 original batch, four roses single barrel, stranahans, old medley, stagg jr

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Any quick recommendations for something <£40 for sipping?

I love Laphroaig, especially quarter cask, but wanted to try something new. I'm making my way through some Highland Park 12 and finding it a bit boring and sort of sweet.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

2DCAT posted:

Sadly, it seems like every bartender, sans chris mcmillan, completely messes the drink up.
I think maybe next time I go to the good bar in town(tm), I'll ask for one. I generally ask for obscure stuff, but I guess it's worth asking for something normal done right too.

Has anyone had a gin mint julep? According to wikipedia, that used to be a thing. It sounds like it could be good.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Think I'm gonna make a whiskey sour tonight with this aberlour a'bundah. You guys think I should dilute it considering it's cask strength?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Think I'm gonna make a whiskey sour tonight with this aberlour a'bundah. You guys think I should dilute it considering it's cask strength?

this is a joke right

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank

Google Butt posted:

I agree that whiskey sours are delicious but the worst you should do to abundah is put ice cubes in it.
Use jim beam man.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

This is the only bottle I have on hand and I don't think one whiskey sour is going to hurt :D

Relax dudes.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Google Butt posted:

This is the only bottle I have on hand and I don't think one whiskey sour is going to hurt :D

Relax dudes.

It's your booze, dude. Experiment and enjoy!

(Just dry-shake it if you're using egg-white. I tried that for the first time last night, and it was a heck of an improvement)

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Google Butt posted:

You want to dilute the whiskey (with water?) first, and then dilute it further by adding lemon juice? Hmm.... I mean, if you think that sounds like a good idea... then who am i to say otherwise ;)

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey
I've just returned from a week in the Scottish highlands.

I only managed to fit in 1 distillery tour which was the Dalwhinnie, because it wasn't too far from where we were staying. I've drank it before, about 16 years ago but it isn't a favourite of mine.

I did manage to fit in a bottle of Tomatin and a bottle of Big Peat.

The Big Peat is a blend of Islay malts, supposedly to give a concentrated smoky, peaty flavour. It smells better than it tastes. It doesn't quite measure up to the peatiness of a Lagavulin or even a Talisker but was nice for a blended.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

2DCAT posted:

You want to dilute the whiskey (with water?) first, and then dilute it further by adding lemon juice? Hmm.... I mean, if you think that sounds like a good idea... then who am i to say otherwise ;)

Shaking it with ice should be dilution enough, although a 60% it's going to be one hell of a Sour. Give us a report once the buzz wears off.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Shaking it with ice should be dilution enough, although a 60% it's going to be one hell of a Sour. Give us a report once the buzz wears off.

Yes, sorry I wasn't being more clear, but that's exactly what I was getting at. Between the lemon juice and the ice, you're already diluting the whiskey. At either rate, using an $80, good tasting, cask strength whisk(e)y for a cocktail is a bit odd. You can pick up a $20 BIB rittenhouse rye or a $20 BIB JTS Brown or BIB old fitz and it'll be just as good. It just seems like extreme overkill for a decent cask strength whisk(e)y.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Sludge_McBain posted:

I only managed to fit in 1 distillery tour which was the Dalwhinnie, because it wasn't too far from where we were staying. I've drank it before, about 16 years ago but it isn't a favourite of mine.

The Big Peat is a blend of Islay malts, supposedly to give a concentrated smoky, peaty flavour. It smells better than it tastes. It doesn't quite measure up to the peatiness of a Lagavulin or even a Talisker but was nice for a blended.

How was the distillery tour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sludge_McBain posted:

For a cheap bottle I find the Tomatin to be pretty nice, especially because I do not enjoy a lot of peat.

Had a friend over this weekend who ordered us a round of Gentleman Jack at the bar and I've got to say I quite enjoyed it. It has an interesting profile and some flavors in there that I can't quite pin down, almost a slight mint vibe going that was pretty pleasant.

We had an anniversary party this weekend and were left with Redbreast 12, Auchentoshan, Angels Envy and a Balvenie 18 as gifts. I am in good booze for a while :dance: