Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives has been filming in Atlanta this week. I know they've been to Fox Bros and The General Muir. I've heard they also went to Wisteria and one or two others place that I can't recall at this moment. Episode(s) may air in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I know they went to the Highlander once, but that was years ago. I still go there from time to time. I want to try their kimchi and crawfish eggrolls if they still have them.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Homegrown is the place I couldn't recall for the Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
venutolo will surely be excited: http://www.whatnowatlanta.com/2015/05/11/the-general-muir-to-expand-add-bakeshop-in-neighboring-space/
:krad:

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Buford Hwy news:

1. Gu's Bistro on closed down! They're focused on the Krog Market dumpling place now. That market has some serious seating issues though... I'm not sure why the Buford hwy location had to close, as it was always super slammed with customers.
2. That A-Priori restaurant is getting bad reviews on Yelp. The owner is replying to the bad reviews. The responses are hysterical! "Nerve Cell Damage" was quoted in one. Check out the 1 star reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/a-priori-seafood-atlanta
All the 5 star reviews are obviously friends of the owner. Kinda sad.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my god how can I eat here AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE

omment from Elena B. of A-Priori Seafood
Business Owner
5/10/2015 Elaine,
Never have I imagined there are such creative people with such unbelievable imagination like yourself! It requires a great artistry indeed to compose as despicable story as this.
Although it's a mystery to me why somebody else's review influence your own one,
I have to thank you for trying to raise our spirits by your cordial wishes and hopes regarding our restaurant!

There's always something wrong, it's a big world, you are not in paradise, just in case you didn't know or forgot. It is quite possible, your beautiful mind is so busy thinking of points where to start complaining on this and that. Hmm, too many nerve cells damaging you are, seafood IS healthy but not that powerful to restore them. Please, take care.

Sometimes things go in an erroneous course, have you ever found yourself in such a condition or at least imagined that? There's a beneficial part of it though: you become stronger, more flexible, more experienced. That's how you learn, that's how you succeed. You whether let circumstances dominate you, or you choose to dominate them. The latter option is what my team and I accept.

Well, A-PRIORI is not a tiny restaurant but is it really "huge"? I don't know what it's like in your perception but I wouldn't say so. The smaller you are, the bigger the place you are at is. Is that the reason you and your friends attacked your meals right away? Oh you said you were crazy-starving. Despite the "fact" concerning food quality you mentioned, you guys literally devoured your dishes like ravenous cowhands who haven't seen the inside of a bowl since Christmas, and here it is July. You like eating "terrible" dinner, don't you?

One of definitions of the word "disaster" is "absolute failure". Absolute failure is when nothing , NOTHING, zero, nada was satisfying. The "ok" and "like" parts contradict what you say. Or you are confused yourself, or you do not know how to express yourself properly. Choose your words carefully. It's a disappointment when you don't understand people, the situation they are in and tolerance is just a word for you, but when you are not understood and seem not self-confident, that is even more distressing.

I feel like I'm your life - teacher doing linguistics, business school and well-breeding, but i want you to know that a server doesn't do cooking. It's not a server's fault if the food is coming out slowly. And a server doesn't hang out, he or she waits. And i don't know where you are from and if they have there advanced robot servers who don't move or whatever you think hanging out is. Anyways, let me remind you that during one of the 2 hours of your experience you and your friends (party of 10) were getting together. I have no idea of what you expected us to do during that time.

So sorry you had to wait for so long. We were far from not worrying to piss you off. That's why we apologized, honestly explained the situation and gave you a discount.

Any business has its ups and downs. If we have hit the bottom this time let's see how high we are going to bounce. But first of all, you should come down.

I'm sorry but your mean tone can only be outclassed by your poor manners.
All the best,
A-PRIORI Seafood
Like · Reply · Just now

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Reminds me of that Top Chef episode where the owners were so confrontational and delusional and the restaurant in such disarray that even Gordon Ramsay thought they were too big assholes to work with.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Amy's Baking Company, or are you thinking of something/somewhere else?

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003

Landrobot posted:

Buford Hwy news:

1. Gu's Bistro on closed down! They're focused on the Krog Market dumpling place now. That market has some serious seating issues though... I'm not sure why the Buford hwy location had to close, as it was always super slammed with customers.
I've heard mixed reviews on the Krog St market place though. It makes sense when your clientele changes from people willing to go over to Buford highway to people to the Krog at market type.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

luvs2Bgraded posted:

I've heard mixed reviews on the Krog St market place though. It makes sense when your clientele changes from people willing to go over to Buford highway to people to the Krog at market type.

I am both. krog st. sucks.

the prices are horrible, portion sizes don't make sense (what used to be a smallish $6 appetizer of liu jiang tofu is now a $14 entree portion of the same, without rice, vegetables, or anything else included) - the dumplings are good but nothing special...

my wife and I made an attempt at a Gu's dinner last week and split 4 different things. We got 6 dumplings, liu jiang tofu, a green bean entree (just green beans, nothing else), 2 fried spring rolls, and then paid extra for plain white rice, and our bill was about $55-65 after tip.

for a self-service food stall

our 2 drinks were another 20 from hop city.

$75-85 to sit in a noisey food court and eat a distant haunting of Gu's that we would have had spent $35-50 on total, with a much better variety of dishes, etc at the buford location...

gently caress naw bro.

I mean even our pretty indulgent meals at Craft Izakaya (which I think is overpriced) have all averaged ~85 after tip, and that's for full service, same amount of drink, more and higher quality variety of poo poo, I dunno... I hope Gu's dumplings gets their poo poo right - and obviously they're printing money for the moment, but I'm sad about the whole thing.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Reminds me of that Top Chef episode where the owners were so confrontational and delusional and the restaurant in such disarray that even Gordon Ramsay thought they were too big assholes to work with.

fun fact, that basically happened at the spot where Victory is in Inman Park, when it was Park's Edge

http://www.kitchennightmaresblog.com/2012/06/us-season-5-parks-edge.html

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Krog is the easiest place to get cheddar waffles with sorghum and bacon on a Saturday from Little Tart. I drink Moonlight Drive milk stout from Hop City while I eat them. Sometimes, I get some incredibly meaty but very expensive ribs from GC across from Jeni's and have a happy dipping time. I can't think of better ribs that I can bike to. It's like $14 for a dense half-rack, though? I made the mistake of waiting 25 minutes for some limp panfried dumplings from Gu's that were okay but expensive and not satisfying. It's like a side. I don't feel like I'm spending my money right at Superica / Cockentrice / Craft Izakaya, so I can count the times I've been to them combined on one hand.

Greg Best was bar-tending for Eat Me Yakitori (in a Kimono!) at someone's loft near Arizona Lofts and he was saying they're populating a new place in Krog near Jeni's and I got the impression he thought Holeman & Finch had blown past its original idea and he wanted to take it back to its roots. He learnt me real quick about rentable kitchenspaces / shares in ATL if I have a big order of things to make, that was cool. He also spanks mint / basil instead of muddling it.

I don't really eat out in ATL anymore. FITNESS.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives episodes with Atlanta stuff in them start airing this week.

Tri-Continent Cuisine
7/31
"And in Atlanta, the folksy joint stacking mega meat into serious sandwiches."
Folk Art

From Biscuits to Brisket
8/7
"In Atlanta, the down-home joint cooking up righteous chicken and biscuits and house-cured lox. Across town, the twin-brother team firing up Southern grub like brisket burger and chicken-fried ribs."
Buttermilk Kitchen (?) and Fox Bros

Homeland Favorites
8/14
"And in Atlanta, the Southern spot serving up their spin on shrimp and grits, plus legit biscuits and gravy."
Wrecking Bar (?)

Beef It Up
8/28
"In Atlanta, the Jewish deli putting out a fish specialty alongside killer pastrami hash."
The General Muir

Titles and description pulled from the DDD site. The dates are assuming that the shows air in the order they are listed on the site as of this writing, and air every Friday uninterrupted. The restaurants with the "(?)" are my best guess.

The place that now occupies the old Gu's space, Good Luck Gourmet, is pretty good. Yet Tuh on BuHi is super hard to find, but I really enjoyed it. Mamak is dope. This has been your Buford Highway food update.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 1, 2015

kontona
May 3, 2003

venutolo posted:

The place that now occupies the old Gu's space, Good Luck Gourmet, is pretty good. Yet Tuh on BuHi is super hard to find, but I really enjoyed it. Mamak is dope. This has been your Buford Highway food update.

kinda related, your instagram pics showed up in my feed and thought it was pretty hilarious.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kontona posted:

kinda related, your instagram pics showed up in my feed and thought it was pretty hilarious.

Please follow and like so I can be the Kim Kardashian of dumb food Instagramming and sell acne treatments. Thanks.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

The Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives episodes with Atlanta stuff in them start airing this week.

Tri-Continent Cuisine
7/31
"And in Atlanta, the folksy joint stacking mega meat into serious sandwiches."
Folk Art

From Biscuits to Brisket
8/7
"In Atlanta, the down-home joint cooking up righteous chicken and biscuits and house-cured lox. Across town, the twin-brother team firing up Southern grub like brisket burger and chicken-fried ribs."
Buttermilk Kitchen (?) and Fox Bros

Homeland Favorites
8/14
"And in Atlanta, the Southern spot serving up their spin on shrimp and grits, plus legit biscuits and gravy."
Wrecking Bar (?)

Beef It Up
8/21
"In Atlanta, the Jewish deli putting out a fish specialty alongside killer pastrami hash."
The General Muir

Titles and description pulled from the DDD site. The dates are assuming that the shows air in the order they are listed on the site as of this writing, and air every Friday uninterrupted. The restaurants with the "(?)" are my best guess.

lol those blurbs

shoot me now

mamak is on my go-to list, drove by and picked up a menu a few months ago and have been meaning to make the trek for a weeknight dinner.

I can't remember if I've given le fat a shout, but I've been 4 or 5 times now and it's pretty solid. last word I've given a few chances, can't get into it. kind of in a new-restaurant rut though, been eating a lot of the same recently.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I'm trying Fox Brothers for the first time tomorrow. Anyone got recommended favorites?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Senior Funkenstien posted:

I'm trying Fox Brothers for the first time tomorrow. Anyone got recommended favorites?

The "burger".

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

venutolo posted:

The "burger".

I was actually eyeing that on the menu. I guess thats what I'll get then. Any outstanding sides?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Senior Funkenstien posted:

I was actually eyeing that on the menu. I guess thats what I'll get then. Any outstanding sides?

None of their sides stand out to me (I have very mixed feelings on the place as a whole). My favorite is probably the fried okra. If it interests you, it might be worthwhile to order one of the sides that are particular to Fox Bros (or at least not served elsewhere around town), like the Fox-a-roni or Frito pie.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

venutolo posted:

None of their sides stand out to me (I have very mixed feelings on the place as a whole). My favorite is probably the fried okra. If it interests you, it might be worthwhile to order one of the sides that are particular to Fox Bros (or at least not served elsewhere around town), like the Fox-a-roni or Frito pie.

Thanks! I appreciate the input. I saw a lot of sides I want to try so maybe I'll do the frito pie and brunswick stew. Brunswick stew at least to me can make or break a bbq place.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I recall that they at least used to have some nifty Brisket Cheese Fries probably worth taking a crack at depending on how hungry you are versus the rest of the meal.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
That job was put on hold for next week so I still have time to figure it out. Was in downtown today and had some pizza at Mama Mias. That was a pretty good pizza.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
twent to mamak last night, finally!

I have to admit I was a bit overwhelmed and overly excited by the litany of dishes that I've only ever seen before in singapore. this restaurant - on paper at least - is probably my asian culinary wet dream.

that said, we ordered our favorites from our time in singapore and indonesia, and they fell ever so slightly flat. but in comparison to the 200% authentic, died in the wool dishes we had in the region. so really, the place loving rocked.

the fishhead bee hoon was a bit light on salt and body, but otherwise great - my curry laksa was tasty, but without some distant amazingness that the dish exuded at whatever hawker center I originally tasted it at. satay was executed perfectly, but I wish the satay sauce had had a bit more oomph. roti was perfect, with a deliciously thin and spicy indianish curry.

the owner was really sweet - we noticed some folks had brought in beer, and happened to have some cold six packs in our car - so I chatted her up and she basically said alcohol wasn't sold by her business, and if she didn't see anything being consumed on her premises, there wouldn't be a problem. I brought in a few cans, and kept them out of view - so that was that, she seemed alright with it. she also seemed really happy that people were enthusiastic about the region's cuisine - so y'all should hit it up if it sounds interesting. we'll go back for sure, at least 10 or 20 times. mmmmmmm singapore food

ps, 2 appetizers and 2 entrees cost us like 32$, so that is also something to note.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 1, 2015

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Went to Le Fat. Enjoyed it. Ordered the crab noodles, but they weren't serving it for some kitchen reason. Really enjoyed the papaya salad. Glad I went.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if any of you come across a space intown/downtown that might be up for subleasing one night a month to a popup restaurant, y'all should let me know. I've asked a few places I eat at regularly but so far no luck.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I know Buford highway has quite a few south American restaurants that feature heaping plates of meat as their signature dishes. Which is the best of the bunch in this category?

Max PL
Apr 1, 2012
Red and green. Never been but a few
People have said its good value. Normally there is a groupon/living social deal for dinner + wine.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Max PL posted:

Red and green. Never been but a few
People have said its good value. Normally there is a groupon/living social deal for dinner + wine.

It is a good value but if you've ever been to Fogo De Chao it's kinda lovely in comparison. I wish I had gone to Red and Green first.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Hmm. I didn't mean a churrasqueria. I mean't more like one of those places that has a giant grilled/bbq meat platter an entree option. A place like Sabores Del Plata.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Megasabin posted:

Hmm. I didn't mean a churrasqueria. I mean't more like one of those places that has a giant grilled/bbq meat platter an entree option. A place like Sabores Del Plata.

I've never seen a place like this on buford highway. let us know if you find a good one! looks interesting.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Ford Fry's newest venture, BEETLECAT is coming soon! :catdrugs:

http://www.fordfry.com/journal/2015/9/14/beetlecat-coming-to-inman-quarter-fall-2015

I have to admit, I like the name. and the theme. I don't want to like it either. :catstare:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol

are you even loving kidding

I think I have to just throw in the towel and respect ford fry for the ridiculous oval office he is. I was reading the other day in the business chronicle that he's in plans to open another Superica at the new Cobb Braves stadium.

he's a great restaurateur, knows his audience, and is giving Atlanta exactly what it wants - trendy overpriced restaurants catering to the lowest common denominator. :) :patriot:

he was around a lot (of course) at the JCT/georgia organics tomato fest, and I was really close to buying him a beer and trying to chat him up for a minute. but then I just thought it was would have been weird, and do I really want to chat up ford fry? but lord do I want to just sit down with him for 15 minutes and ask "whyyyyyyy????"

anyways, tried superica finally - it wasn't bad. just what you'd expect, boring yet decently executed food, steep prices, and lots of tarty girls and early to mid 30s Professional Whites having the trendy times of their foodie lives! I fit right in! :) :) :) I shalln't be returning!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Enthusiasts ruin everything.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Coredump posted:

Enthusiasts ruin everything.

Optimists also, apparently.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
alright, enough trolling out of me. content time.

I've been to steinbeck's in east lake/decatur a number of times, but never had their food. We got several things among our party, and they were all pretty solid and interesting. sliced shishito peppers with soy and black vinegar were excellent drinking snacks.

discovered "Aamar Indian Cuisine" on luckie street downtown. decent indian in zone 6 is hard to find. this place is takeout only, does delivery within a few miles, and the food was pretty solid. a little pricey for takeout, but still a decent weeknight option.

haven't had a chance to go to ponce city market yet, anyone try anything there?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

mindphlux posted:

alright, enough trolling out of me. content time.

I've been to steinbeck's in east lake/decatur a number of times, but never had their food. We got several things among our party, and they were all pretty solid and interesting. sliced shishito peppers with soy and black vinegar were excellent drinking snacks.

discovered "Aamar Indian Cuisine" on luckie street downtown. decent indian in zone 6 is hard to find. this place is takeout only, does delivery within a few miles, and the food was pretty solid. a little pricey for takeout, but still a decent weeknight option.

haven't had a chance to go to ponce city market yet, anyone try anything there?

What are your thoughts on Zyka and Panahar since you mention Indian food?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I was thinking about going to Ponce City Market this past weekend, but didn't get around to it. Maybe next weekend.

I haven't been to Steinbeck's in a couple years (it's just not convenient for me). The few times I went I was very satisfied by the food/price combo. If I lived in the neighborhood, I could see myself going there often.

I went back to Sobban this past weekend. I last went within a couple months of them being open, and my experience was awful. The service at the time was particularly bad. For whatever reason Sobban popped in my head this weekend and I really wanted to give it another go. I really enjoyed what I had there and I'm eager to go back. I've been particularly hooked on Korean food the last few months and just can't get enough. (Someone else go to Yet Tuh on BuHi)

Went to Venkman's. Menu would be appropriately described as "playful". I enjoyed what I had, but others might have found what I ordered to be too sweet. Definitely a place I'll revisit sometime in the next couple months to get a better idea of my thoughts on the place.

Been to Wagaya a few times and I'm happy it is within walking distance for me. I haven't yet been impressed by either their sushi or cooked dishes, but neither disappointed. Service has been pretty bad. I don't love the place, but I'm very happy to have decent Japanese within walking distance.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Coredump posted:

panahar is bangladeshi, you swine! Also, Steinbeck's has always been exactly what I expected (decent pub food) when I went there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Coredump posted:

I'm angry at zyka because I tried to go there Sunday at 3:05, and they apparently lock their doors between 3-5 pm for a kitchen break. Fair enough, but I could see people still ordering inside, taunting me. :( :( and then I had to go get my grease bomb at luqma INDO-PAK, and am still suffering the consequences.

Panahar is also a favorite, but on a weeknight finishing work at like 7:30, my gal and I's willingness to drive is like 3 miles tops, hence zone 6 Indian search. Both zyka and Panahar are miles better than anything around downtown afaik...