Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MrBims posted:

You really have to ask?

Is there some new right wing insane reason or is it just the normal irrational hatred though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Is there some new right wing insane reason or is it just the normal irrational hatred though?

They've got some "undercover video" with a doctor discussing the donation of tissue for medical research over lunch. Apparently him being nonchalant and eating while discussing disposal of what's left after an abortion is going to be a big issue amongst Republicans.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The medical director of planned parenthood in LA was caught on tape joking about wanting to buy a Lamborghini with the money made from selling the organs of aborted fetuses.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Miltank posted:

The medical director of planned parenthood in LA was caught on tape joking about wanting to buy a Lamborghini with the money made from selling the organs of aborted fetuses.

Ban all commerce and research with human tissue.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It'll be the standard stuff ("Planned Parenthood was founded by a Eugenicist!"), mixed with the assertions supported by the recent (edited) sting videos ("Planned Parenthood is a FARM FOR BABY ORGANS!"). The underlying critique in all of it being that PP is somehow coercing or tricking women into having abortions against their will or without fully informed consent.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

In a hypothetical general election match-up between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, white registered voters were split 50-46 according to a new poll from CNN/ORC. Fifty to 46, with a margin of error of 4 -- meaning that it's essentially a tie.

Oh, and it was Trump with the 50 percent.

:swoon:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/07/27/trying-to-understand-donald-trumps-electoral-appeal-part-324/?v=4

I'm not sure if the author of that article realizes this, but getting 50% of the white vote would actually be a horrible result for the Republicans. (For comparison's sake, Romney won 59% of the white vote in 2012.)

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

quote:

In a hypothetical general election match-up between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, white registered voters were split 50-46 according to a new poll from CNN/ORC. Fifty to 46, with a margin of error of 4 -- meaning that it's essentially a tie.

Oh, and it was Trump with the 50 percent.
:swoon:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/07/27/trying-to-understand-donald-trumps-electoral-appeal-part-324/?v=4
:aaaaa:

DaveWoo posted:

I'm not sure if the author of that article realizes this, but getting 50% of the white vote would actually be a horrible result for the Republicans. (For comparison's sake, Romney won 59% of the white vote in 2012.)
This is quite chilling.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

DaveWoo posted:

Just don't mention this to the Republicans! I want to see a blowout landslide in my lifetime.

I mean 50% is still a horrific amount for Trump but it's nowhere near enough to win anything national. Also blah blah polls this far out. But any poll that can be spun into Trump's favour in the GOP clown car accident is excellent news.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 27, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Antti posted:

Just don't mention this to the Republicans! I want to see a blowout landslide in my lifetime.

I mean 50% is still a horrific amount for Trump but it's nowhere near enough to win anything national. Also blah blah polls this far out. But any poll that can be spun into Trump's favour in the GOP clown car accident is excellent news.

It's horrific, but like DaveWoo said, it's definitely a trend in the right direction. If it's only just half of white folk that are Republican, they don't stand a chance in hell, especially with them using foghorns in lieu of dogwhistles and straight up calling Latinos rapists.

1964 here we come :getin:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wasn't expecting him to comment at all. What is that Napoleon said, that you shouldn't interfere with your enemies when they are busy destroying themselves?

Huck is a pretty minor candidate, Obama is just trying to make sure everyone hears about his comments while at the same time tying them to all Republicans. And since Republicans must reflexively disagree with Obama on everything they'll probably all start calling the deal the second holocaust from now on.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
How much of the population does 50% of white people represent?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
About 30% just off the top of my head.

E: like 36.5%

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Full Battle Rattle posted:

How much of the population does 50% of white people represent?

~39%.

You'd need to break it down better than that though and adjust for voter participation rates. Women vote more often than men etc.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
No Democrat has won a majority of the white vote in the last 5 decades, that article is incredibly torqued.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HappyHippo posted:

Huck is a pretty minor candidate, Obama is just trying to make sure everyone hears about his comments while at the same time tying them to all Republicans. And since Republicans must reflexively disagree with Obama on everything they'll probably all start calling the deal the second holocaust from now on.

Yeah, Obama has the rare luxury of being able to get Republicans to double down on gently caress ups by simply calling it a gently caress up. Signalling that the still fringe usage of language linking the deal to the Holocaust and the death of Jesus is dumb, simply ensures that it becomes more popular among Republicans.

Still waiting on the Obamas to talk about how much they love breathing.

DynamicSloth posted:

No Democrat has won a majority of the white vote in the last 5 decades, that article is incredibly torqued.

Not even Carter?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kalman posted:

Every single one of the characters in Watchmen is reprehensible. That's basically the point.

It's basically a treatise on the US' slide into paranoid imperialist hegemony (for all the wrong reasons) during the cold war. The heroic characters represent the various competing ideologies along this line of dialogue (including the indifference of the younger owl/specter who given't a single gently caress as long as they can just gently caress like sea weasels in the owlmobile) with the blue guy representing "the atom" as applied for peace and war being courted and fought over by everyone until it's used as an illusion by the accelerationist guy to kill millions in the hope of uniting humanity over the wreckage while he fucks off to Antarctica and grins at the news feed.

In short, yeah everyone is a bastard but they're not all outwardly evil.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Gyges posted:

Not even Carter?
Nope, 47-52. Bill Clinton was very close to even with the GOP in 1992, but only due to Perot. The split was bigger in 96 despite his overall better performance.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Jiving to the latest Talking Heads single.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

He is such a dipshit.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

"Check out my raps!"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

How do you do, fellow kids?

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

just laffin at those betrayed women

A page back, but yeah, what terrible visual design. The immediate message your eyes take away from this is "WOMEN BETRAYED" and then Ben Carson's guffawing face

e:

Yeah Rand because we spend soooo much on foreign aid.

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 27, 2015

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

Obama should have called out Bush's privatize Medicare comments, I'd love to have seen the cognitive dissonance.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

don Jaime posted:

Obama should have called out Bush's privatize Medicare comments, I'd love to have seen the cognitive dissonance.
"It's like privatizing social security all over again. I wonder who came up with that one?"

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

don Jaime posted:

Obama probably doesn't care if Medicare is privatized. Hell, if his own ACA is any indication, he loves him some privatized insurance.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Kalman posted:

Every single one of the characters in Watchmen is reprehensible. That's basically the point.

pfft, you only hate Ozymandias because he was right and you couldn't admit that he was :smug:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Antti posted:

Who has no Superman and instead Wolverine in his top five? It's like he's some filthy Canad- oh.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Superman is extremely lame.

Kal-El is an anchor baby! :freep:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Gyges posted:

Not even Carter?

Ford won the White vote 52-48

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Who was the last business mogul to become a president? Someone like trump where they actually worked for their money (in the sense that Trump works his family wealth) as opposed to someone like Bush who passively got money from his family wealth.

Did Kennedy even run anything worthwhile?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lastgirl posted:

pfft, you only hate Ozymandias because he was right and you couldn't admit that he was :smug:
The Soviet Union would have collapsed on its own were it not for his interference, its survival in that continuity is entirely his fault. Ozymandias: actually a communist.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

midnightclimax posted:

Jiving to the latest Talking Heads single.

As we get older, we stop making sense :shepface:

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Veskit posted:

Who was the last business mogul to become a president? Someone like trump where they actually worked for their money (in the sense that Trump works his family wealth) as opposed to someone like Bush who passively got money from his family wealth.

Carter was a pretty successful farmer, IIRC, and HW Bush made a lot of his money on his own although helped by his family connections. But I think you have to go back to Hoover to get a real self-made business mogul.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Veskit posted:

Did Kennedy even run anything worthwhile?

Warren G. Harding was a successful (and self-made) businessman before taking politics as his main occupation, does this count? Harry S. Truman also owned a business for a while, but wikipedia doesn't say if it was any success or not.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hey, I may have missed this, but has anybody confronted Trump about the last bit of bullshit Birtherism he came up with, I want to say right about the 2012 elections? Said he had tons of detectives who came up with amazing information in Hawaii, then *crickets*.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Der Kyhe posted:

Warren G. Harding was a successful (and self-made) businessman before taking politics as his main occupation, does this count? Harry S. Truman also owned a business for a while, but wikipedia doesn't say if it was any success or not.

Yeah but gently caress Warren Harding

loving Harding

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Superman is extremely lame.

Red Son. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Bob Ojeda posted:

Yeah but gently caress Warren Harding

loving Harding

Interestingly, Harding died a popular president but was later exposed as one of the worst.

Also interestingly, should Trump actually somehow win the general, he would be the first non-general/diplomat/sitting politician/veep to run your country.

Edit: considering from the previous position held to be elected to run your county, if my wikipedia is correct.

• Locked thread