Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Big freestanding items to good tolerances are expensive.

Fortunately, disk sanders are relatively easy to build if you have a decent motor. I can't find plans offhand, but if you watch this http://www.ibuildit.ca/disk-sander-1.html or these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TArwSUQ-bp8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZkBWcE7sD0 you can probably get a decent idea of how. If you're prepared to drive it direct it's even easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

My plan for a disc sander is a big aluminum offcut disc like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110859626019?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
and then the 2hp harbor freight 1700 rpm motor and a bushing with a fairly wide flange to bolt it to. Nice and easy, but big and cheap.

Get everything bolted together and stable, spin it up and true it up with coarse sandpaper on a block and a rest. I plan on building a heavy base out of MDF and keeping it as a fixed 90 degree table.

That ebay store has some 18" discs too, but they're thick as hell and it's not worth the potential for either huge gyroscopic problems lifting your entire homemade disc sander off the bench, or paying to have it milled down to a more reasonable 1/2" or so. I'll just deal with the tragedy of having to build a cheap 14" sander.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 16, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hypnolobster posted:

My plan for a disc sander is a big aluminum offcut disc like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110859626019?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
and then the 2hp harbor freight 1700 rpm motor and a bushing with a fairly wide flange to bolt it to. Nice and easy, but big and cheap.

Hmm, I have a nice 1HP 3500RPM motor I got from a neighbor's garage for free because he thought it didn't work, I may be with you on this one.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've got a couple other projects I have to get to this weekend like putting up OSB sheathing in the shop, painting and building a drat assembly table, but right after that I'll post some pictures of how my disc sander build goes. I've got everything purchased already.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Definitely do that, I'd much rather learn from your mistakes than my own. :haw:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
With Amazon's Prime Day yesterday I grabbed the 12V max Makita drill, driver, and 3.325" circular saw for $109. I just use these for around the house, not for trade, so I was going to get HF's 12V impact driver to match the drill that I have, but this deal was good enough to grab. I'll give the HF drill to my younger brother that's finally moving out on his own. After a good 4 years, that HF drill is still in good working order. I'm sure it's not as powerful as Milwaukee or Makita or Bosch, but it was putting in a ton of 3" deck screws without too much trouble a few months ago.

Ideally I wanted Milwaukee's brushless set for the tool selection, but that just meant I probably would have bought more tools than what I really needed just to have them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm wondering about compressors, i want to buy a bigger older model some day, good deals for quality swedish made compressors seem to popup now and then. But I am worried about safety and the potential of explosions. Now I know about hydro-testing it regularly to avoid that, and draining it regularly. But what if it happens anyway?

I'd like to prepare for that eventuality, but is it even possible? My plan is to store the compressor outside my garage, but under the roof in the car port, way in the corner where it'd be best protected.It's the commonly done thing here to keep them outside.

Would it help to like put it behind a brick wall of it's own to contain the tank, and direct the pressure release upwards? Digging it down a bit even could help I guess as the tank is usually on the bottom.

I know I am overthinking things and it's a very very slight risk, but still I'm worried as gently caress that it might explode and hurt the kids if they're on the yard playing, not me so much. I'd still worry about this with a new compressor, crappy near junk level poo poo that most modern machinery in my price range seem to be. So I'd rather buy older industrial quality for less money.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Compressor chat:

Has anyone replaced the pressure switch on one of the Porter Cable 6 gallon pancake compressors before? Mine's not turning off and is popping the safety valve, and this seems to be the most likely culprit. The compressor unit seems like a pain in the rear end to service since it's basically a plastic monolith attached to the top of the tank, but it clearly can be done since parts are for sale online for it. I'm annoyed because it's only about 5 years old, and hasn't seen tons of use.

Tool storage:

Now that I've got a workbench set up in my new house, I need a tool chest. I used to have a beautiful craftsman one, but I don't want to spend that much cash right now. I was looking at this husky one, and it's surprisingly solid for $100 (on-line price is higher, weirdly): http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-26-in-6-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Rolling-Tool-Cabinet-Set-Black-C-296BF16/203420937. I could eventually see needing a middle set of drawers, but for now, I think that would do just fine.

Are there any brands/types to avoid? I know that I want something with ball bearing sliders, since the ones without (like the low-end craftsman ones) are just horrid and feel like they want to drop all of my tools on my toes, but there's a ton of price variability in what is basically a metal chest of drawers. I don't need a closet-sized one for mechanics' tools, just for home stuff, and it's going to sit in one spot in my basement.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

stealie72 posted:

Compressor chat:

Has anyone replaced the pressure switch on one of the Porter Cable 6 gallon pancake compressors before? Mine's not turning off and is popping the safety valve, and this seems to be the most likely culprit. The compressor unit seems like a pain in the rear end to service since it's basically a plastic monolith attached to the top of the tank, but it clearly can be done since parts are for sale online for it. I'm annoyed because it's only about 5 years old, and hasn't seen tons of use.

Tool storage:

Now that I've got a workbench set up in my new house, I need a tool chest. I used to have a beautiful craftsman one, but I don't want to spend that much cash right now. I was looking at this husky one, and it's surprisingly solid for $100 (on-line price is higher, weirdly): http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-26-in-6-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Rolling-Tool-Cabinet-Set-Black-C-296BF16/203420937. I could eventually see needing a middle set of drawers, but for now, I think that would do just fine.

Are there any brands/types to avoid? I know that I want something with ball bearing sliders, since the ones without (like the low-end craftsman ones) are just horrid and feel like they want to drop all of my tools on my toes, but there's a ton of price variability in what is basically a metal chest of drawers. I don't need a closet-sized one for mechanics' tools, just for home stuff, and it's going to sit in one spot in my basement.

Here is the review I used to settle on the HF one I got, and if you aren't in a huge rush they often offer coupons, I can't remember the exact amount but it's not an insignificant discount.

e: looking at the $390 price makes me think I got it for $330 if memory serves. I had also heard stories of particular stores not honoring copied/printed coupons, but it seemed like it was a per-store thing. Reasonable to call and check before pulling the trigger, in other words.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 27, 2015

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The Husky chests cannot be locked. I have two and the first time I tried to check if they were locked, the lock fingers at the back of the drawer turned out to be mushy cheese. I got such a good deal on a clearance though, that I said "gently caress it, this still holds stuff right?" and kept the bottom in the basement at home, and the mid holds my cheap loaner tools at work so my newbies don't have to go begging on my day off. If it's just for home use, they're decent for the price as long as you don't care about burglars or kids.

Having an "always open" pair of drawers is actually really nice in a shop, because people can leave things in there for me without leaving them in plain sight where a customer or salesperson could walk off with them.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 27, 2015

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So my wife's good friend is amazing and gave me some tools she had and did not need.

http://imgur.com/eYZ0AFr

The ryobi stuff has no batteries but is new. There is also a NIB planer. Should I pay the $50 for a battery and charger? I am most excited about the makita saw, still unused.

Bonus was this old B&D drill spitting sparks:
https://youtu.be/lwuDNUPVZkY

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

$50 for those tools is a hell of a deal. I don't see how you can go wrong.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looking for a chainsaw recommendation. I have an 18" poulan pro that's been fine for a lot of years but I need something with more oomph and hopefully a bit more reliable. A longer bar might be nice, but isn't required. How's Stihl these days? Has Husqvarna become the overpriced-home-depot-junk brand?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

Looking for a chainsaw recommendation. I have an 18" poulan pro that's been fine for a lot of years but I need something with more oomph and hopefully a bit more reliable. A longer bar might be nice, but isn't required. How's Stihl these days? Has Husqvarna become the overpriced-home-depot-junk brand?

Stihl still makes decent saws, as do Husqvarna. I've actually been happy with my Echo. Less power, but great warranty (if you buy from local dealer, not Home Depot or Lowes or whatever). I'm fond of the older saws, and have more than I care to admit. My favorite is my Husqvarna 261 that's actually a 262XP (swapped piston and muffler) 4.8HP instead of 3.8.

If you are a sane, normal homeowner, I'd seriously look at an Echo CS450.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, if I had my choice, I'd grab the circa 1980 Stihl out of my dad's garage, I'm just gun shy about the direction some brands seem to have taken in more recent years.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Cross-posting from AI: If anyone is interested, there's a sale at Zoro tools today,
20% off on your order of $200 or more
25% off on your order of $300 or more
Use promo code SUMMERSAVER
Valid until midnight CT on July 28, 2015

That means that the FLIR E4 will be $749. http://www.zoro.com/flir-thermal-imaging-camera-80-x-60-flir-e4/i/G5281245/

Loads of other stuff, free shipping, and only tax in selected states. I'm buying some knipex, panavise, Fluke, and other brands. They also sell echo saws... Just saying.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, if I had my choice, I'd grab the circa 1980 Stihl out of my dad's garage, I'm just gun shy about the direction some brands seem to have taken in more recent years.

How much are you looking to spend?

Stihl 044/MS440s have readily available parts and lots of people rebuild them. You can usually find one used for around $600 and rebuilt for a hundred or so more (but without a bar and chain). A bunch of people on eBay sell them.

I got mine broken and rebuilt it with an oversized piston kit. It's a work horse and honestly way too much fun to play with. It's got a lot of low end grunt, unlike many newer saws I've used.

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

sharkytm posted:

Cross-posting from AI: If anyone is interested, there's a sale at Zoro tools today,
20% off on your order of $200 or more
25% off on your order of $300 or more
Use promo code SUMMERSAVER
Valid until midnight CT on July 28, 2015

That means that the FLIR E4 will be $749. http://www.zoro.com/flir-thermal-imaging-camera-80-x-60-flir-e4/i/G5281245/

Loads of other stuff, free shipping, and only tax in selected states. I'm buying some knipex, panavise, Fluke, and other brands. They also sell echo saws... Just saying.

Thanks for this, I've been buying a lot of Wera and Knipex stuff lately and this site is a good place to get those brands. I guess I am on a bit of a German tool kick.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

DoktorVerderben posted:

Thanks for this, I've been buying a lot of Wera and Knipex stuff lately and this site is a good place to get those brands. I guess I am on a bit of a German tool kick.

No problem, spreading the love/pain. I only ended up with a $400 invoice, which is far less than the last 4-5 sales.

Just in case anyone reads this later, Zoro's price on Brady labeling supplies is the same as Amazon (MSRP), but the coupons apply. Ditto with Panavise.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

I did the E4 mod, and it's god damned amazing. Look in the thread they have on the EEblog, some guy came up with some photomanipulation software that reads the raw data, so you can take pics in greyscale, then add the skittles-puke rainbow gradients afterwards. He also got it so you can do tiled panoramas, he took a 3k*2k picture of an apartment building by taking 50ish individual photos and using the software to auto-stitch them all together.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I did the E4 mod, and it's god damned amazing. Look in the thread they have on the EEblog, some guy came up with some photomanipulation software that reads the raw data, so you can take pics in greyscale, then add the skittles-puke rainbow gradients afterwards. He also got it so you can do tiled panoramas, he took a 3k*2k picture of an apartment building by taking 50ish individual photos and using the software to auto-stitch them all together.

I've got an "E8" too. I've read the thread on eevBlog, it's very interesting.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Norton Gemini 10" abrasive wheels are $3.76 shipped on Amazon right now. Enjoy.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Mercury Ballistic posted:

So my wife's good friend is amazing and gave me some tools she had and did not need.

http://imgur.com/eYZ0AFr

The ryobi stuff has no batteries but is new. There is also a NIB planer. Should I pay the $50 for a battery and charger? I am most excited about the makita saw, still unused.

Bonus was this old B&D drill spitting sparks:
https://youtu.be/lwuDNUPVZkY

I'm a little late on this - but I have that Ryobi cordless circular saw, and I love it. I'd definitely say it's worth picking up a battery and charger for. I've really enjoyed all of the One+ tools that I've picked up, especially the screw gun. One of my batteries did go bad though (the other one has been just fine but the bad one was out of warranty).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Now I have (purchased) a proper router. Bosch GMF 1600 CE, can't wait for it to get here :dance:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

captainblastum posted:

I'm a little late on this - but I have that Ryobi cordless circular saw, and I love it. I'd definitely say it's worth picking up a battery and charger for. I've really enjoyed all of the One+ tools that I've picked up, especially the screw gun. One of my batteries did go bad though (the other one has been just fine but the bad one was out of warranty).

For Ryobi 18V you want to wait until Black Friday / X-mas for batteries, Home Depot does a 2 for 1 package sale on the high capacity ones, $99 for 2 of those monsters is a good deal.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

deimos posted:

For Ryobi 18V you want to wait until Black Friday / X-mas for batteries, Home Depot does a 2 for 1 package sale on the high capacity ones, $99 for 2 of those monsters is a good deal.

I got a 4-pack for christmas and 2 were bad (and I was buying it because one of my previous 2 was also bad). I almost wonder if my charger has a problem.

Otherwise I like Ryobi a lot, but that's been disappointing.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
If you're waiting till black Friday anyway, you may just want to pick up whatever tools the have on sale that come with batteries. My DeWalt collection has extra batteries and chargers because I picked up a black friday drill kit with two (or maybe one, i forget) batteries and a charger for $99, and a black friday impact driver for somewhere around $100 too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have a regular power drill and a circular saw from the Ryobi One+ line. I like them and I like the battery life on the megabattery you can get. So I want to stick with this for my portable tools. My question here is: what should I be looking at for portable vs not portable when I'm buying a tool. Should I get the portable miter saw because it's only 10 bucks more than the non-portable, or is that gonna be a bad time?

Also, how do I determine what tools are going to be good for me? I want to get into woodworking and I'm a total novice. What should I have at a minimum and why? What tools should I be getting bigger and more expensive vs saving money and getting what will get me by?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Get tools as you need them for projects. Pretty much the only thing that you're guaranteed to need is some kind of saw -- table saw, bandsaw, circular saw, hand saw, etc. Depends on how much of a hand-tools buff you are and how much circular blades scare you, pretty much. Plenty of other tools come in handy on lots of projects (e.g. routers, sanders, planers), but it's very easy to buy a tool because "oh, I'll totally use this" and then have it gather dust for a few years.

As for how much to spend, generally the upper-grade consumer / mid-tier contractor gear is what hits the sweet spot as far as cost vs. quality, but that's not universally true.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Good, that's exactly what I wanted to hear

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Buying used professional grade tooling (table saws, jointers, planers, bandsaws) is a good way to save money. It's a lot easier if you have someone to help you out, someone who knows what's good/bad. Sometimes you might have the deal of your life and not know it, or it might be an overpriced piece of junk.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Avoid things made in china is generally good advice, where possible.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

Buying used professional grade tooling (table saws, jointers, planers, bandsaws) is a good way to save money. It's a lot easier if you have someone to help you out, someone who knows what's good/bad. Sometimes you might have the deal of your life and not know it, or it might be an overpriced piece of junk.

The professional stuff can be huge, though, so keep the constraints of your workspace in mind. This is good to keep in mind when buying any power tool really: have a home for it prepared before you get it (unless it's one of those awesome time-limited deals that you can't pass up, of course).

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sylink posted:

That really doesn't work any more. The common wisdom in the '80's was avoid things made in Taiwan. I took one look at a Grizzly 8" jointer in 1984, and still have it.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Sylink posted:

Plenty of stuff made in China is excellent. It's all about the company ordering the stuff and their standards for quality control.

Don't buy cheap poo poo and expect it to work like professional grade machinery. It's cheap for a reason.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

King Hotpants posted:

Plenty of stuff made in China is excellent. It's all about the company ordering the stuff and their standards for quality control.

Don't buy cheap poo poo and expect it to work like professional grade machinery. It's cheap for a reason.

Pretty much this. The only difference between USA built stuff and crap build in China is the QA documents use moon-runes and the spec is probably converted to mm along the way.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Mr. Mambold posted:

That really doesn't work any more. The common wisdom in the '80's was avoid things made in Taiwan. I took one look at a Grizzly 8" jointer in 1984, and still have it.

Eh...the Taiwanese stuff of the 80s is better than most of todays Harbor Freight quality level but they were still cheap knock offs of better known tools (Delta, etc). I had an old Grizzly cabinet saw and a Taiwanese 14" bandsaw and they both were ok but both annoying and worth the extra money to me for something that wasn't so fiddly, cheaply made and poorly engineered

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

dwoloz posted:

Eh...the Taiwanese stuff of the 80s is better than most of todays Harbor Freight quality level but they were still cheap knock offs of better known tools (Delta, etc). I had an old Grizzly cabinet saw and a Taiwanese 14" bandsaw and they both were ok but both annoying and worth the extra money to me for something that wasn't so fiddly, cheaply made and poorly engineered

I never had that problem, but the only big shop tool of their I bought was the 8" jointer in 1984. I used it for 20 years, np, then got out of woodworking for a living. Fired it up last year, and a bearing was going bad. Tbf, I had tweaked it with a larger pulley on the motor so I'd get higher RPM's, smoother surfacing- I'm sure you know what I'm talking about- so that could well have been my fault. No regrets.
I'll replace the bearings one of these days. I bought a shitload of their shaper bits and router bits, nailers, no issues.
I turned a lumber yard owner friend on to them 25 years ago and he's still running their big shapers, 20" planer, table saws that he got then.
Ymmv.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My bro in law has been in Korea for the last 3 years with the Air Force. When they moved they sold the house, and he left behind a buuuuunch of tools in our inlaws garage for me to use. I just now learned that he had done so, because my mother in law couldn't find them in the garage. I did all the 5" trim in my house with a handsaw and miter box when I had a perfectly good Ryobi miter saw sitting there :negative:

I found this searching for a tile saw on Craigslist.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/tld/5149882362.html

quote:

7 inch wet tile saw is 6.5 A. This is in great condition. This is a wonderful saw to handle all of your work requirements. I look forward to becoming your friend. Your friend Bob. Please text 602-332-8056. Thank you and have a phenomenal day.
Anyone want to make a friend? :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
My dishwasher poo poo the bed through the floor, through a drop ceiling and onto a thin basement carpet. I scrambled and borrowed a 6 horsepower wet vac and pulled up a few gallons out of the carpet until nearly dry to the touch. While emptying the vac, I realized there was no filter inside. Did I just aerosolize a few gallons out the exhaust? Or does it not work that way?