Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

In Training posted:

I could be wrong but I thought DQ games have always sold poorly in the states.

I thought the last mainline game we got did pretty good. I remember *gasp* seeing actual ads for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

It sold just over a million copies which is pretty nuts for a handheld exclusive JRPG. Of course, the distribution and advertising were handled by Nintendo, not Square Enix.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The 3DS version is 3D on the top screen, 2D pixel art on the touch screen. Mega cool.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kgmb_k3q5U

EDIT:

I'll probably like it, but oh god is those two styles of game competing with each other are going to be hell on my eyes.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ImpAtom posted:

It actually has proven to be a success recently actually.

Licensed tie-ins show an interest in the IP which is actually fairly significant. People are more likely to buy something based off an IP they like than based off gameplay in a vacuum. It is one of the reasons the Dynasty Warriors games have done well and why we're getting the anime spinoffs.

At this point Dragon Quest fans would probably buy anything if it helped them get the other games. It's still kind of a lovely thing to do when they most likely knew the remake of 8, a proven success already, was coming when they made that statement. Why not do a test with that?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Because it's not a test but rather a way to convince desperate fans to buy it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

At this point Dragon Quest fans would probably buy anything if it helped them get the other games. It's still kind of a lovely thing to do when they most likely knew the remake of 8, a proven success already, was coming when they made that statement. Why not do a test with that?

Here is a post from an alternate universe.

"Why didn't they push Dragon Quest Heroes instead? It's a new game on actual consoles and it would show there is interest in the franchise and maybe even attract new fans.. Instead they just ignored it and are pushing everything on their low-quality handheld port of Dragon Quest 8 instead. I bet they'll blame fans when it doesn't sell that well."

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Looking forward to DQ11 hell yes, DQ8 is a fav. I also liked those DS ports.

That said, I wonder what they'll do to spice it up and innovate. I'm sure they have some cool ideas.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

That said, I wonder what they'll do to spice it up and innovate. I'm sure they have some cool ideas.

Well....you can jump in dq11.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Skeezy posted:

Well....you can jump in dq11.
Hope I can jump on townspeople's heads for comedic effect or something sweet like that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

The games have barely changed since 4, it will be dragon quest again and really gorgeous. I'm excited.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

quote:

This isn’t just a cosmetic quirk: If you use the 3DS’ analog joystick, the game will display all its messages on the top screen and the battles with enemies will feature 3-D graphics. But if you use the old-school D-pad instead, the game’s messages will appear on the bottom, pixelated screen, and the battles will feature classic 2-D sprite illustrations instead.

This is kind of BLOWING MY MIND.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

That owns so hard.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

In Training posted:

The games have barely changed since 4, it will be dragon quest again and really gorgeous. I'm excited.
Sure, but that's what we got with DQ8 ten years ago. Different stokes I guess, but that would probably mean I'd enjoy DQ11 now less than DQ8 then. That said, who's to say they aren't doing anything new? Even storywise maybe.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fancy Hat! posted:

Holy poo poo

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

That quote's from this Wired article, BTW:
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/dragon-quest-xi-ps4-nx-3ds/

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a bad person and have only played DQ1 and 8. I want to at least play 5 before Heroes comes out later in the year... my question is do I use the PS2 DQ translation, or DW? Do they still translate things differently these days, or all all games DQ style? I just want to pick the version that will be familiar to Heroes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All Dragon Quests since 8, including spinoffs and remakes, and even including remakes of games that already had previous official translations, use the modern style.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

I'm a bad person and have only played DQ1 and 8. I want to at least play 5 before Heroes comes out later in the year... my question is do I use the PS2 DQ translation, or DW? Do they still translate things differently these days, or all all games DQ style? I just want to pick the version that will be familiar to Heroes.

Just get the DS game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Skeezy posted:

Just get the DS game.

Or the mobile version, which is a good port.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DS versions of IV, V and VI are fantastic.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Plus the mobile port doesn't have weird price issues do to low stocks.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks all for the input. I played the mobile version of DQ1 and it was ok I guess, but my issue is I ended up playing a ton of it with no volume due to the types of places I would play a mobile game (train, bed before sleep), so I don't really want to miss out on that whole aspect of the game. And if I am going to sit down and make a point to play a mobile game, I would rather play them with real controls and a real screen.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh man, if they could somehow work dynamic soundtracks depending on which control option you use, that'd be amazing. Imagine going from a symphony in 3D mode, to chiptunes in 2D mode.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

abagofcheetos posted:

Thanks all for the input. I played the mobile version of DQ1 and it was ok I guess, but my issue is I ended up playing a ton of it with no volume due to the types of places I would play a mobile game (train, bed before sleep), so I don't really want to miss out on that whole aspect of the game. And if I am going to sit down and make a point to play a mobile game, I would rather play them with real controls and a real screen.

I'll take Note 4 screen over 3DS anytime :P. Throw in a controller and you are good to go. That said, yeah, DS ports are really good. Alternatively... you could buy DS game and emulate it on the phone.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The 3DS version is 3D on the top screen, 2D pixel art on the touch screen. Mega cool.

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kgmb_k3q5U

EDIT:

Regular 3DS or New 3DS? Not that it'll probably ever come here.

DrManiac posted:

I thought the last mainline game we got did pretty good. I remember *gasp* seeing actual ads for it.

That's because Nintendo was pushing DQIX pretty hard here in the US, while SE hasn't advertised a DQ game in the states since... DQ1?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

I'm the same way. The DS versions + headphones are awesome.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

In Training posted:

I'm the same way. The DS versions + headphones are awesome.

I was actually referring to the PS2 version :v:, but I would take DS over the mobile one too just for the sake of a controller.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
DQMSL it out now. However it looks like it might just be a SEA launch, as I'm not seeing it anywhere in the US store. On the upside, the SEA client in the Thai store is in English (with a smattering of Engrish) so it's playable.

Anyone looking to give it a try feel free to use my reference code: QPvTbRMF

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQMSL it out now. However it looks like it might just be a SEA launch, as I'm not seeing it anywhere in the US store. On the upside, the SEA client in the Thai store is in English (with a smattering of Engrish) so it's playable.

Is this a phone game or what? How does this work.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dragon Quest Monster Super Light, and yes, it's a phone game. It looks to me mega-streamlined DQM-style combat overlaid on top of the usual PAD-esque mobile/social junk.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Skeezy posted:

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about either version of DQXI coming out in the States. Square Enix already said that the future of the series here depends on sales of DQ Heroes so we'll see what happens. Also if we do get XI I don't think we'll get the 3DS version at all.

Aren't there more 3DS than PS4s in the Americas? Would make more sense to release the version that would potentially have more demand.

Man I'm not feeling the main character in this game. Too Trunks, and I prefer my DQ heroes to be Gohans.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Calaveron posted:

Aren't there more 3DS than PS4s in the Americas? Would make more sense to release the version that would potentially have more demand.

Man I'm not feeling the main character in this game. Too Trunks, and I prefer my DQ heroes to be Gohans.

Sony sold more PS4s worldwide last quarter than every single other console combined, including handhelds. I'm pretty sure if a version comes out of Japan it will the be PS4 one.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wasted time rolling for an A ranked monster and I knew this was likely going to happen but I still had hope. I hate Squeenix.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

abagofcheetos posted:

Sony sold more PS4s worldwide last quarter than every single other console combined, including handhelds. I'm pretty sure if a version comes out of Japan it will the be PS4 one.

To add to that, the 3DS is in steep decline in the US and the PS4 is taking off. Userbase doesn't mean anything if people aren't buying software for it any longer.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Your name really works for this.

E: Guaranteed B+ rank monster my rear end, got 2 C ranks. Otherwise this is actually really good for a phone game.

Deki fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 30, 2015

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is there an easy location or method to get it or is a bunch of vpn fuckery required

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Deki posted:

Your name really works for this.

E: Guaranteed B+ rank monster my rear end, got 2 C ranks. Otherwise this is actually really good for a phone game.

I was pretty amused when the little NPC guy introduced himself.

Yashichi posted:

Is there an easy location or method to get it or is a bunch of vpn fuckery required

For iOS you just go in to the thai appstore and make an account with no credit card details and I guess some generic Thai town/postal code info. There's no VPN or any other crap to mess with. No idea about android. I use used one of my extra and rarely touched gmail accounts to make a thai iOS account. Though for anyone who can read Japanese it's probably still better to play the Japanese version since it'll likely be further ahead in content plus Japan showers mobile gamers with free stuff in general.

e: I have to say the S rank you could get from the prereg is pretty underwhelming. While he gets Increase and Flame Breath he has terrible hp/mp growth and his defense growth isn't that great. At level 17 he has negligible defense compared to the lvl 19 C rank dragon pup you get, and the dragon pup has about 50% more atk/def (but weaker skills). I wish I'd looked up their abilities first because maybe the Icikiller A rank guy would've been a better choice.

Though I used a free REM pull and got a B-rank Mandragore whose also kinda lackluster so far. hits 2x per round.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 30, 2015

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Yeah, I'm not even remotely impressed with my higher rank monsters so far, I think you're expected to fuse a bunch of stuff into them to make them worthwhile mid/endgame. My MVPs are the stackslime the tutorial has you make and an angelslime, which has been a staple of every one of my DQM parties since joker 2.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Right now I'm running the tyrant, dragon pup, mandragore, healer, and the free S rank slime. The Tyrant's def buff is nice at times but holy gently caress he has 47 hp at level 18. He has almost 80 defense but that doesn't mean much when an enemy that might be level 10 can hit him with Zam and potentially kill him. I just don't get it. Maybe Necrosaro spoiled me rotten (he did) but this guy is a terrible S rank unit it seems though I'm not sure who I'd replace him with. If I had a full dragon party his 15% def buff could be worthwhile but I might be better off dropping him for the S rank slime as a leader with healer/slime stack/dragon pup/mandragore as my other units. I wonder if the referral S rank is decent or not. It's some slime tank looking thing?

Apparently if you do a 10 batch pull of the REM then all 10 units are supposed to be B rank or better. You get 30 gems just for taking part in the pvp stuff once a day so at least that's a slow trickle of free gems. Also I don't know if it's an event thing or what, but after I used my free REM pull I checked this morning and I get another free pull in about 60 hours. If you get a free summon every 3 days that'll be pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

So is this not out in the US store or do I need a weird link to find it, because search is turning up nothin'