Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Look at your chart, mandatory minimums were enacted in the 80's before the precipitous increase. Not saying they caused it, the problem with mandatory minimums is that the only thing they succeed at is longer prison terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Irish Joe posted:

Above: How mandatory minimums "just makes things worse."

I guess Marijuana is a gateway drug. TO VIOLENCE.

Then again, if mandatory minimums are so great at lowering violent crime, it of course having absolutely nothing to do with other, more reasonable, factors, why aren't they working as well against drug use?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Irish Joe posted:

Above: How mandatory minimums "just makes things worse."

Not pictured: statistics for non-violent offences as specifically discussed in the segment.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
The crime rate has dropped in every major city, in every state, and in almost every country over the last 30 years. There is no policy that caused it to happen and it is the subject of a lot of debate as to how/why it fell off so consistently and quickly across the board. There's an interesting theory that it has to due with leaded gasoline being phased out causing significantly lower levels of lead in the atmosphere. Either way it doesn't have a god drat thing to do with mandatory minimums.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gyges posted:

Then again, if mandatory minimums are so great at lowering violent crime, it of course having absolutely nothing to do with other, more reasonable, factors, why aren't they working as well against drug use?

Let's see if I still have

ah yeah there it is.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Huh, looks like there might be actual progress to scale back mandatory minimum sentencing laws at the federal level. Still pretty early in the whole process, but good news if it pans out.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

Isn't it, though? Ott, the guy who got life without parole for a drug offense, was carrying around a gun during the commission of his felonies. What was the gun for, if not to enact violence upon another human being?

Its easy to downplay your local marijuana dealer as just a normal high school/college kid trying to make some extra cash; a kid with no violent intention and a bright future ahead of him. While that may be true in a tiny handful of circumstances, it ignores the fact that he's not operating in a bubble. He got his supply from someone, who got their supply from someone else, and so on and so forth. In short, every sale he makes helps to fund violent gangs and cartels that provide the supply and carve out territories for "harmless" dealers to work in. By establishing mandatory minimums, you make that part time job a lot less appealing to kids with bright futures. When the penalty goes from a slap on the wrist misdemeanor to a felony with jailtime, good people are a lot less willing to take the risk. Suddenly, local dealers aren't your next door neighbor or classmate, but lifelong criminals. So when they get nabbed and sentenced under mandatory minimum guidelines, a criminal who would have contributed nothing but violence and misery upon society is put behind bars for a very long time. That, my friends, is a net plus to society and why mandatory minimums work. Yes, it is regrettable that some dolphins might get caught up in our tuna nets, but when you can walk down the street without getting shot, you'll know it was worth it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Irish Joe is hiliarous when you just read the first and last sentence of his paragraphs

Irish Joe posted:

Isn't it, though? What was the gun for, if not to enact violence upon another human being?

Its easy to downplay your local marijuana dealer as just a normal high school/college kid trying to make some extra cash; a kid with no violent intention and a bright future ahead of him. Yes, it is regrettable that some dolphins might get caught up in our tuna nets, but when you can walk down the street without getting shot, you'll know it was worth it.

What dumb thing was in the middle? Who knows, who cares!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

From gateway drugs to dolphin by-catch, that's our Joe!

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I for one was glad to hear about this because I HAD NO loving IDEA IT WAS THIS BAD. Which pretty much sums up everything I hear from this show. Yes, I know about bail bonds, nuclear silos, wasted food, but I didn't realize how bad they were until they point it out. So yes, segments like that are important because I am sure that not everyone is well versed in all the hosed up poo poo that America does.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Irish Joe posted:

Isn't it, though? Ott, the guy who got life without parole for a drug offense, was carrying around a gun during the commission of his felonies. What was the gun for, if not to enact violence upon another human being?

So...if any firearm possession implies intent for violence, heavy gun control laws are the answer?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Well obviously if you have a gun you're intending to commit violence. Which is why if you get pulled over for a traffic violation and you've got a gun in the car your state's version of 10/20/Life kicks in.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I for one was glad to hear about this because I HAD NO loving IDEA IT WAS THIS BAD. Which pretty much sums up everything I hear from this show. Yes, I know about bail bonds, nuclear silos, wasted food, but I didn't realize how bad they were until they point it out. So yes, segments like that are important because I am sure that not everyone is well versed in all the hosed up poo poo that America does.

Did I miss an episode? Was there one on nuclear silos?

e: maybe I missed it? I remember space geckos but they brought them back a bunch. Alright season 1 episode 12 lets do this

oh gently caress you hbo go what the gently caress is this arbitrary cutoff bullshit?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 28, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gyges posted:

Well obviously if you have a gun you're intending to commit violence. Which is why if you get pulled over for a traffic violation and you've got a gun in the car your state's version of 10/20/Life kicks in.

Unironically this.

Ban guns.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Krinkle posted:

Did I miss an episode? Was there one on nuclear silos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1ya-yF35g

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The crime rate has dropped in every major city, in every state, and in almost every country over the last 30 years. There is no policy that caused it to happen and it is the subject of a lot of debate as to how/why it fell off so consistently and quickly across the board. There's an interesting theory that it has to due with leaded gasoline being phased out causing significantly lower levels of lead in the atmosphere. Either way it doesn't have a god drat thing to do with mandatory minimums.

My favorite theory is the Donohue-Levitt hypothesis, which notes how the country-wide drop in crime rates coincides nicely with first generation born after Roe V. Wade reaching adulthood.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Paper Kaiju posted:

My favorite theory is the Donohue-Levitt hypothesis, which notes how the country-wide drop in crime rates coincides nicely with first generation born after Roe V. Wade reaching adulthood.

What's of note is that a lot of the interesting theories, like Roe v. Wade and the banning of leaded gasoline, happened around the same time. The 1970s fixed America, and I personally think the real prime mover of that fix was Jimi Hendrix becoming one with the Force and ushering in the era of the summer blockbuster.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Irish Joe: a guy who's literally never bought weed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Apropos of nothing;

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/tyler-creator-unleashes-fans-against-180440313.html

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Crime skyrocketed with the introduction of crack.

Crime has steadily been going down as the crack epidemic has been dealt with.

This is a pretty simple thing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I thought Lead Theory was interesting. Dunno how well it holds up.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Haha, goodamn I love that crazy bastard.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Michigan Supreme Court just ruled sentencing guidelines unconstitutional.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2015/07/29/state-supreme-court-rule-sentencing-guideline-unconstitutional/30857079/

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love how it was deemed unconstitutional not because of the injustice of being put in jail for longer than what the crime really deserves, but instead it being deemed unconstitutional because you couldn't lock someone up as long as you wanted to. Perfect right?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Irish Joe posted:

Haha, goodamn I love that crazy bastard.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that Irish Joe likes someone because they had their fans harass a woman that had nothing to do with something that happened to them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Veskit posted:

I love how it was deemed unconstitutional not because of the injustice of being put in jail for longer than what the crime really deserves, but instead it being deemed unconstitutional because you couldn't lock someone up as long as you wanted to. Perfect right?

Pfft, who put this 'cruel and unusual' thing here, must be a typo!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MizPiz posted:

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that Irish Joe likes someone because they had their fans harass a woman that had nothing to do with something that happened to them.

A woman who organized an online crusade against a person for the crime of performing music she didn't like (and therefore no one should be allowed to listen to it, according to her deranged mind) getting much deserved comeuppance when the person she targeted decided to fight back and use her own weapons of harassment against her. Its almost poetic.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

No no it was within the constitution. It would be unusual to not let a judge judge the case the way they want to and should totallllyyy be able to judge outside the confines of the law makes sense, iT MAKES 100% SENSE.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gaz-L posted:

Those silly founders left a lot of poo poo in the constitution they CLEARLY didn't mean to, there's that bit about cruel and unusual punishment, that other snippet about "A well regulated Militia".

They really needed an editor!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Irish Joe posted:

A woman who organized an online crusade against a person for the crime of performing music she didn't like (and therefore no one should be allowed to listen to it, according to her deranged mind) getting much deserved comeuppance when the person she targeted decided to fight back and use her own weapons of harassment against her. Its almost poetic.

I do not believe her weapons of harrasment included death and rape threats

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

bobkatt013 posted:

I do not believe her weapons of harrasment included death and rape threats

There's a weird class of free speech advocate that believes that the government shouldn't block any speech because the ~*~Free Market~*~ will self-censor or whatever, but then throw a fit when the free market starts in on something that they like. I'll never get it.

That being said,

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Freaquency posted:

There's a weird class of free speech advocate that believes that the government shouldn't block any speech because the ~*~Free Market~*~ will self-censor or whatever, but then throw a fit when the free market starts in on something that they like. I'll never get it.

That being said,

These are the same people that whine about people saying group x faces discrimination and then say that straight, white males are the "last acceptable targets" with a straight face. Trying to get them is a fool's errand.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Freaquency posted:

Doesn't the free market correction include both negative and positive responses to a stimulus, as well as any consequent response to the initial responses? Isn't that what people who advocate free speech want--honest, civilized and intellectual debate--rather than tyrannical entities (in this case, a shrill harpy on Twitter) declaring speech to be banned while the victims of their Orwellian declarations are unable to respond?

I know you see the world through a child's eyes and that's precious, but do try and understand that the world isn't as black and white as My Little Pony makes it seem.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I would have taken this bait if I thought you were actually interested in some form of discourse, but you showed your hand too early with the MLP bit. 2/10, see me after class.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe could never understand the complexity and nuance in the world of My Little Pony.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The pony show makes me chubbed.

so does bacon

i fat

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Come on, Joe, you're better at this than that. Try again but this time put in some actual effort.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Irish Joe posted:

Doesn't the free market correction include both negative and positive responses to a stimulus, as well as any consequent response to the initial responses? Isn't that what people who advocate free speech want--honest, civilized and intellectual debate--rather than tyrannical entities (in this case, a shrill harpy on Twitter) declaring speech to be banned while the victims of their Orwellian declarations are unable to respond?

I know you see the world through a child's eyes and that's precious, but do try and understand that the world isn't as black and white as My Little Pony makes it seem.

This is a spectacularly bad post, even for your standards.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 31, 2015

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Nemo posted:

It was a special called Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue and it featured further intervention cameos by Alf and Papa Smurf and Winnie the Pooh.

It was a formative moment of my childhood. I think that's when I first understood what pandering was.

I recognized what I was sure was the voice of ALF (AKA Gordon Shumway) during the bit played on Last Week Tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Freaquency posted:

You already know this but I enjoy explicitly saying this. They are fully aware of this supposed hypocrisy; they are willfully being disingenuous because an appeal to free speech is a cynical rhetorical strategy.

• Locked thread