Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
CHOOSE
This poll is closed.
Between the World and Me 28 36.84%
The Library at Mount Char 15 19.74%
The Moonstone 22 28.95%
The Dinosaur Lords 11 14.47%
Total: 60 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
First round was here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732757

Ok, here''s the second-round poll options for next month's book of the month. Vote early, vote often! You can vote for more than one book if you want: this is first and foremost and interest check. You can vote for a book you've already read if you want. As always, though, please only vote if you plan on actually participating in the discussion if that book is selected.

If you do vote, vote for what *you* want to read and talk about.

Doesn't have to be a witty or brilliant comment or anything, "this book was too loving long" or whatever is fine, just please if you vote for a book think of it as making some minimal commitment. I use these polls as an interest check, so don't click if you aren't interested. Thanks!

Only votes in the actual poll count; votes made by posting won't be counted..

1) Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

http://www.amazon.com/Between-World-Me-Ta-Nehisi-Coates/dp/0812993543

quote:

An Amazon Best Book of July 2015: Readers of his work in The Atlantic and elsewhere know Ta-Nehisi Coates for his thoughtful and influential writing on race in America. Written as a series of letters to his teenaged son, his new memoir, Between the World and Me, walks us through the course of his life, from the tough neighborhoods of Baltimore in his youth, to Howard University—which Coates dubs “The Mecca” for its revelatory community of black students and teachers—to the broader Meccas of New York and Paris. Coates describes his observations and the evolution of his thinking on race, from Malcolm X to his conclusion that race itself is a fabrication, elemental to the concept of American (white) exceptionalism. Ferguson, Trayvon Martin, and South Carolina are not bumps on the road of progress and harmony, but the results of a systemized, ubiquitous threat to “black bodies” in the form of slavery, police brutality, and mass incarceration. Coates is direct and, as usual, uncommonly insightful and original. There are no wasted words. This is a powerful and exceptional book.--Jon Foro

Coates is a brilliant writer and he's probably the most biting critic on American racial issues who still manages to speak to mainstream audiences. This is the one to pick if you want us to use the book to launch broad political discussions.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/07/the-toxic-world-view-of-ta-nehisi-coates-120512.html#.VbGmurNVhBc (by The National Review's Rich Lowry!)

Paper With Lines posted:

I'm about a third of the way through the Coates book. IMO, most people could read it in an afternoon. I'm a very slow reader and it took about an hour and a half to get a third of the way though it.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Between the World and Me you group of absolute children

2) The Library at Mount Char

http://www.amazon.com/The-Library-at-Mount-Char/dp/0553418602

quote:

Not exactly literary, but how about The Library at Mount Char? It got a bit of a buzz in the fantasy and horror threads: basically it's modern fantasy that starts off weirdly nonsensical, becomes a page-turner thrillerthingamajig around the midway point and ends on a pretty crazy note while being very enjoyable all the way through. I'd think it's a good summer read.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731408#post447974072

This comes highly recommended and looks like a great entry if we want to do more urban fantasy, but it's a little off the beaten track it seems, despite lots of great reviews. I knocked this out a day or two ago and while I'm not sure it rises to the level of "literary", it's well-written and engages the brain more than the average pulp fantasy novel does. With this one, we're staying in our comfort zone, but expanding it a little.

RndmCnflct posted:

Also the Library at Mount Char was the best thing I've read in a long time. Someone said earlier that it's American Gods done right, that's the vibe I got and and I completely agree.

3) The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

quote:

The Moonstone (1868) by Wilkie Collins is a 19th-century British epistolary novel, generally considered the first detective novel in the English language. The story was originally serialised in Charles Dickens' magazine All the Year Round. The Moonstone and The Woman in White are considered Wilkie Collins' best novels. Besides creating many of the ground rules of the detective novel, The Moonstone also reflected Collins' enlightened social attitudes in his treatment of the servants in the novel. Collins adapted The Moonstone for the stage in 1877, but the production was performed for only two months. . . . .

Rachel Verinder, a young English woman, inherits a large Indian diamond on her eighteenth birthday. It is a legacy from her uncle, a corrupt British army officer who served in India. The diamond is of great religious significance as well as being extremely valuable, and three Hindu priests have dedicated their lives to recovering it. The story incorporates elements of the legendary origins of the Hope Diamond (or perhaps the Orloff Diamond). Rachel's eighteenth birthday is celebrated with a large party, whose guests include her cousin Franklin Blake. She wears the Moonstone on her dress that evening for all to see, including some Indian jugglers who have called at the house. Later that night, the diamond is stolen from Rachel's bedroom, and a period of turmoil, unhappiness, misunderstandings and ill-luck ensues. Told by a series of narratives from some of the main characters, the complex plot traces the subsequent efforts to explain the theft, identify the thief, trace the stone and recover it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moonstone

I'm including this one because I wanted to make sure we had an option for at least one free book. I've read an absurd amount of out-of-copyright fiction on my kindle and this is my personal pick for the best "forgotten favorite" of the lot. It's genre fiction which people are asking for, it's literary (at least in that it has a patina of age, if nothing else), it's classy, it's a great story, there's a lot of social subtext and implicit commentary on British colonialism and class issues, etc. With this pick, we're stepping outside our comfort zone a bit but with something that's still entertaining and fun and surprisingly modern stylistically given when it was written.

CountFosco posted:

I voted for The Moonstone because Wilkie Collins owns loving bones and if there were any justice in this world he'd be as well known as Dickens.

quote:

The Moonstone is often said to be the godfather of the classic English detective story, its founding text. TS Eliot, claiming that the genre was "invented by Collins and not by Poe", declared it to be "the first, the longest and the best of modern English detective novels". Dorothy L Sayers, a queen of crime in the 1930s and 40s, echoing Eliot, pronounced it "probably the finest detective story ever written". Its influence continues to animate the work of crime writers such as PD James.

. . .

However, although this is classic detective fiction, its greatness really lies in its qualities as a novel. Collins signalled his ambitions for the book in the preface to the first edition, in which he wrote: "In some of my former novels, the object proposed has been to trace the influence of circumstances upon character. In the present story I have reversed the process." So it's the enthralling interplay of character (Rachel Verinder, the hunchbacked servant girl Rosanna Spearman, Sergeant Cuff, the great detective, and compelling Franklin Blake, Rachel Verinder's cousin) that will hook the interest of most readers. Rosanna's tragic obsession with the adventurer Franklin Blake is among the most poignant renderings of thwarted love in Victorian literature. The fascinating and eccentric figure of Cuff (based on Scotland Yard's real life Inspector Whicher) introduces a figure central to the unravelling of the mystery on whom most readers come to dote.

corn in the bible posted:

I was in Italy once, in this little backwater town out in the middle of nowhere, and the bookstore had exactly one book in English, which was Wilkie Collins's The Moonstone.

4) Comedy Option:

The Dinosaur Lords by Victor Milan

http://grrm.livejournal.com/388192.html

I can't think of anything I could say that would add to that cover. Comes out July 28th. You wanted more new releases, right? With this pick, we're just embracing the suck. This is the forum for thousand-page threads about Battletech novels and knights riding dinosaurs. loving embrace it.What the hell. You're reading this book. I'm reading this book. That loving cover.

Carteret posted:

I hope it's Dinosaur Lords. I work at a bookstore and this motherfucker is just sitting in the backroom screaming for me to check it out. One of the only perks to working here.

That loving cover.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Moonstone gets my vote but honestly I'll read anything without dinosaurs.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I voted for The Library, but I'll probably read any of these books. I think The Dinosaur Lords is something I'd rather read on my own time though.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I've bought the book I voted for in anticipation.

EDIT: Just found this.

What's cooler, medieval battles with dinosaur riders, or 19th century battles with dinosaur riders?

thehomemaster fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 28, 2015

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Dino Jousting seems superior.

Dragas
Apr 21, 2010

something something polish lithuania commonwealth will rise from the ashes
Please read some real literature, goons.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to read any of the books without dinosaurs, please.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Thank God it's neck and neck with a free book and the book I bought already.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Carteret posted:

Dino Jousting seems superior.
Dinos vs muskets simply means that a truly trained and noble warrior and his mount might be brought low by.. Peasants. With boom-sticks! :baw:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

thehomemaster posted:

Thank God it's neck and neck with a free book and the book I bought already.

Yeah, I bought a bunch of the books suggested so far and my book budget is kinda blown for the month. Fortunately it'll be a new month in a few days!

I've started a new read of The Moonstone just because it's a fun book, but I'd forgotten that it's relatively long; the kindle kinda hides that. In some ways it might be even better than I remembered it, though.

That dinosaur book looks expensive, but I'm not going to pretend I ain't reading it. I'm not better than that.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
'book budget'

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

thehomemaster posted:

'book budget'

You know how I said I read The Moonstone because I was working my way through every free classic in Amazon's Kindle store? There was a reason for that!

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
If you were looking for my book budget in a bookstore it would be under 'Fantasy'.

Also, that is an impressive feat to undertake.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
My book budget is "all of them"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

thehomemaster posted:

If you were looking for my book budget in a bookstore it would be under 'Fantasy'.

Also, that is an impressive feat to undertake.

Oh, I gave up eventually, somewhere about 3/4ths of the way through the Diaries of Samuel Pepys (and 1/4th of the way into Tristram Shandy, which I really do need to get back to someday).

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Can Tom Jones be found in the free classics section?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

My book budget is um, the library haha

Sorry if you guys don't have accessible libraries around you

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

CountFosco posted:

Can Tom Jones be found in the free classics section?

Yeah it's there, though you'll have to sort by price to find the free version. Pretty much anything pre-1930 is available for free somewhere online.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Guy A. Person posted:

I have a really accessible library called my giant loving bookshelves :cool:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have a really accessible library called my giant loving bookshelves :cool:

A man after my own heart.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Guy A. Person posted:

Library books are gross and filled with germs

People read them on the toilet

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

less laughter posted:

Library books are gross and filled with germs

People read them on the toilet

Ewwww ughhh

You just ruined my life

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm going to read the Moonstone regardless, so I hope it wins

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

I'm going to read the Moonstone regardless, so I hope it wins

I hope 23 mother fuckers actually talk about Between the World and Me and don't bitch out

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I hope 23 mother fuckers actually talk about Between the World and Me and don't bitch out
It's quite short, and flows along very smoothly and lyrically. I'm about halfway through it already.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
LAST DAY

I may do winner August, 2nd-place September

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Sounds like you just really, really wanna read The Moonstone. ;)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

coyo7e posted:

Sounds like you just really, really wanna read The Moonstone. ;)

Want to Discuss the Moonstone!

Ok, this month is Ta-Nehisi. Next month is Moonstone. Thanks everyone for voting!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, this month is Ta-Nehisi

I look forward to discussing this book with all of you for a few hours until I get incredibly frustrated and run away to DnD where people agree with me

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Y'all weren't kidding when you said it was short. Really good so far though he has a beautiful writing style, just hard not to burn through it all in one sitting.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I have it on hold from the library - if I get it in time, I'll join in for my first ever participation in the book of the month discussion.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

edit--will save discussion for the discussion thread.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 3, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Is this the discussion thread or are you gonna make one?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Oh whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is this the discussion thread or are you gonna make one?

Thread will go up either tonight or tomorrow morning.

edit: it's up, go here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734443

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 3, 2015

• Locked thread