Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

The game canon seems to be that Geralt and Yennefer literally died there but Ciri brought them back to life and gave them their own little pocket dimension to be together on using Elder Blood and Unicorn bullshit.

Edit: Do we really have to use spoiler tags for this? It happens in books that were published everywhere but the Anglosphere 15 years ago, and is spoiled in the prologue of TW2.

Short answer, yes? A lot of people in this thread, including me, are probably just now getting into the books because of this game.

edit: Oh I just realized what even you are talking about. Yeah, not a big deal, since it's in the prologue of W2. But in general, I personally would appreciate it if there were at least warnings for book spoilers, if not tags.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

The game canon seems to be that Geralt and Yennefer literally died there but Ciri brought them back to life and gave them their own little pocket dimension to be together on using Elder Blood and Unicorn bullshit.

Edit: Do we really have to use spoiler tags for this? It happens in books that were published everywhere but the Anglosphere 15 years ago, and is spoiled in the prologue of TW2.

Pet theory: She madly cycled through near-parallel worlds until she found one where they were on the edge of death but not quite unrecoverable and then collapsed the rest. We got to see part of what her grief can do at Kaer Morhen; losing Geralt and Yen at the same time without anyone else around to tell her to calm the gently caress down before she shreds reality would not have been pretty. Doing something like that would've also gotten the attention of every (sentient) transdimensionally aware party/entity in the multiverse, which, well, it kind of did.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Game spoiler post Isle of Mist The Wild Hunt wasn't on her trail at that point. She'd just hosed off to do Witcher's work in Arthurian England and try to live her own life. The Wild Hunt caught her trail again when she rescued Geralt from them.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Oxxidation posted:

Letho gives the barest sliver of a gently caress about going to war with the Wild Hunt and it is amazing. He's the tersest talker throughout the whole mission.

"I'll go with Geralt. Prefer stabbing things."

"Your friend talks too much."

"Good fight. Sucks about the end. Gonna go east. Bye."

And then when Triss is raining fire down on everyone and Geralt and Lambert threw up Quen I wondered where Letho was and then thought, wait, Quen's practically his specialty, he doesn't need a partner to boost it. Then I saw he just decided to use a Wild Hunt corpse as an umbrella. Lethowns.

Proves once again that Letho is the most bad rear end character in the entire witcher series.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaahuuuuuuuuuuu-waaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaahuuuuu-waaaawaaawaaaaa

I do it too man... :razz:

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 29, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The most amazing ending this game should have had, would be Ciri just dropping like a rock when the last snowball hits and Geralt picking up her body and screaming NOOOOOOOOO!

Also I am apparently not done with this game yet. That sure felt like it was the end.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
In a previous patch you could kill Ciri in the snowball fight by accident if you got all the bomb talents.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Proves once again that Letho is the most bad rear end character in the entire witcher series.

Letho calling you a pansy after you turn down his idea of attacking the Wild Hunt head on was pretty great. :black101:

Witcher 4 should definitely be Letho and Eskel travelling east and doing stuff. DLC Cat Witcher can show up too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait 'till my next playthrough where Letho isn't dead from simulating my W2 save. Killing Letho seemed like a totally appropriate ending in W2, but man was he a badass and would I like to see him in this game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Bought this when v1.07 was released played for almost a week and a half straight and just beat it. I got the bad ending :(

I thought I could do a pure alchemy build like in W2 but I ended up doing fast attacks/active quen/increased toxicity.

I kinda wish the sidequests were given a bit more sparely instead of front-loaded because the story quest pacing felt too quick since I thought the game was about to end twice but there was still more left.

I love how long the game is and how most of the sidequests are really good. I'd say some of the sidequests were so good that the more trivial ones (like the shorter witcher contracts), while also better than fetching bear asses, paled in comparison.

Game suffered from a too much loot problem, I kinda wish the witcher sets didn't exist or they just toned down the loot to witcher 2 levels.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Letho calling you a pansy after you turn down his idea of attacking the Wild Hunt head on was pretty great. :black101:

Witcher 4 should definitely be Letho and Eskel travelling east and doing stuff. DLC Cat Witcher can show up too.

There's nothing really out east. Letho's going out there to die in all likelihood.

Snak posted:

I can't wait 'till my next playthrough where Letho isn't dead from simulating my W2 save. Killing Letho seemed like a totally appropriate ending in W2, but man was he a badass and would I like to see him in this game.

Really? It felt so pointless to me to kill him at that point.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Really? It felt so pointless to me to kill him at that point.

Geralt not killing Letho is Geralt admitting that his code is bullshit and he stands for nothing. Whether it's true or not, my Geralt wasn't ready to admit that. Does it accomplish anything? not really, but in the course of the game, Geralt has killed so many for so much less, that letting Letho go felt like tacit approval of his actions.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Geralt's code is bullshit. Geralt made it up.

Edit: Plus he's hardly in a position to judge Letho. Don't throw stones from a glass house, Foltest's Pet Witcher.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Letho also got strong armed by Nilfgaard.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Geralt's code is bullshit. Geralt made it up.

I know. That's why I said "whether it's true or not". Geralt made up his code because it's a convenient excuse, but also because he's a big softie deep-down. Geralt is always opposed to being a hired killer. He considers himself a problem solver. Giving Letho a pass would mean Geralt admitting that sometimes murder for purely political reasons is acceptable. When I played Witcher 2 (and so far in W3), I felt that killing Letho was consistant with Geralt's moral code.

But that's what's great about these games, they are written to bring several different interpretations of the main character to life as legitimate versions of their own stories.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I didn't fight Letho In W2, imported my save file, and only after 70 hours in find I loaded the wrong save and already did the quest with him absent :negative:

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The other wolf school witchers really do not like Letho, though. You probably got Roche and Ves complaining about him, but if they're not around it's Eskel and Lambert who try to tell him to get lost when he arrives.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

I know. That's why I said "whether it's true or not". Geralt made up his code because it's a convenient excuse, but also because he's a big softie deep-down. Geralt is always opposed to being a hired killer. He considers himself a problem solver. Giving Letho a pass would mean Geralt admitting that sometimes murder for purely political reasons is acceptable. When I played Witcher 2 (and so far in W3), I felt that killing Letho was consistant with Geralt's moral code.

But that's what's great about these games, they are written to bring several different interpretations of the main character to life as legitimate versions of their own stories.

Yeah see, I just can't interpret Geralt as thinking he had a right to judge. Especially after that final conversation when he hears what Letho has done for him in the past.

Snow Job posted:

The other wolf school witchers really do not like Letho, though. You probably got Roche and Ves complaining about him, but if they're not around it's Eskel and Lambert who try to tell him to get lost when he arrives.

I don't understand why they'd give a poo poo, but Eskel and Lambert never got that much characterization in the books or games so I have no idea what their political opinions are.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I killed Letho in W2 only to have a proper last big boss fight remembering how intense the first fight against him was. Then I reloaded a save right before Act 2, played the alternative story and didn't kill Letho at the end to see the other option.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I always felt Saesenthessis was the proper last boss fight.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yea. I let Letho go because man was just doing stuff to achieve his goal of new Witcher school. I bet Geralt would've done the same thing if killing some kings would have lead to him recovering his memory or saving Ciri.

also lol Geralt judging anyone. :ironicat:

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

I hate how none of the Saskia / Iorveth stuff has carried in. There's practically no Scoia'tel presence at all in this game, and I'd been role-playing a heavily pro-Scoia'tel Geralt since Witcher 1. All that commitment for nothing. :smith:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I still hold out hope of it being added in later, since Iorveth was in those leaked design documents.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, one of the CD Projekt devs hinted that they're alive. I'm almost sure that they'll be present in an expansion.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Plus their voice actors are already in the game, they're just doing other characters so far.
ETA: In the English version anyway, no idea about in other languages.

Helith fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 29, 2015

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010
Such a shame that the writing seems to be getting worse as I reach the ending. I've noticed a few slip-ups lately, like Geralt mentioning he's yet to find Ciri during Reasons of state, which doesn't make any sense because it's a late game quest.

Then there's that part of Final preparations where I guess you drag the viceroy across several unpredictable and potentially deathly worlds, just to have him dream the silliest mustache-twirling villain scene, and then hop back to his world like it wasn't a thing. For a moment there it felt like the plot had devolved into Bioware levels of writing, or something.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

sertalman posted:

Such a shame that the writing seems to be getting worse as I reach the ending. I've noticed a few slip-ups lately, like Geralt mentioning he's yet to find Ciri during Reasons of state, which doesn't make any sense because it's a late game quest.

Reasons of State If it's what I'm thinking of, Geralt has reasons for not wanting Dijkstra to know Ciri is alive and he's found her.

But yeah the last Act is a lot less polished all around, save for the parts focusing on Geralt and Ciri's relationship.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
I didn't kill Letho because I figure Geralt's not in any sort of position to judge kingslayers, given that I let Roche stab the poo poo out of Henselt.

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 29, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Letho set up Geralt to take the fall for his kingslaying so he could (re?)build his Witcher school, so gently caress him. Nobody in the Wolf school save maybe Vesemir looked fondly on the idea of kidnapping orphans and subjecting them to deadly trials and irreversible mutations (also deadly for most) just so they could become almost universally hated and increasingly irrelevant hunters of endangered monster species. Lambert is especially bitter about this. If you let Letho live because you thought his goal of re-establishing a Witcher school was a noble idea, you are a Bad Person.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 29, 2015

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I let Letho live solely because I had just witnessed a genocide against mages and I just didn't want to see any more death. At that point, whatever plans he was a part of have come to fruition and the world has gone to poo poo. I don't like Letho, but killing him would accomplish nothing. At least that was my feeling at the time. I really respected that the game actually gave me an option that mirrored how I was feeling.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

eXXon posted:

Letho set up Geralt to take the fall for his kingslaying so he could (re?)build his Witcher school, so gently caress him. Nobody in the Wolf school save maybe Vesemir looked fondly on the idea of kidnapping orphans and subjecting them to deadly trials and irreversible mutations (also deadly for most) just so they could become almost universally hated and increasingly irrelevant hunters of endangered monster species. Lambert is especially bitter about this. If you let Letho live because you thought his goal of re-esgablishing a Witcher school was a noble idea, you are a Bad Person.
Well, if you'd only played the games, the horror involved with creating new Witchers wasn't exactly that clear. All I remember at the time was that the techniques were lost. That's kind of a rationalization after the fact, no?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Everybody talks about how people everywhere hate witchers (which is mostly true) but nobody mentions that it's completely the opposite on Skellige.

I guess it's because after dozens of hours riding through Velen you get used to hearing everybody insult you left and right to the point that it becomes background noise so the moment you hit Skellige you don't register the difference. But it's there and I thought it was neat that the devs did this.

You'll hear women gasp with admiration when you enter villages and say how they wish their husbands were like you, you'll hear men respect you for being a badass and this sentiment is also reflected in many side-quests. Of course you'll meet a nay sayer occasionally (mostly after you gently caress things up during the main mission) but the shift in the overall tone is very noticeable. Considering that Skellige has 42 side quests and Velen 43 (not counting Novigrad here) - that's a pretty big portion of the game that you spend in a much more positive atmosphere.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

eXXon posted:

Letho set up Geralt to take the fall for his kingslaying so he could (re?)build his Witcher school, so gently caress him.

Letho didn't set Geralt up. He didn't even know he was going to be there. He'd been hiding with the Scoia'tael, and later in La Valette Castle. He regretted that he got involved, initially because when he saw Geralt he thought the jig was up, then later because he was Geralt's friend and would rather he not die

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

eXXon posted:

Letho set up Geralt to take the fall for his kingslaying so he could (re?)build his Witcher school, so gently caress him. Nobody in the Wolf school save maybe Vesemir looked fondly on the idea of kidnapping orphans and subjecting them to deadly trials and irreversible mutations (also deadly for most) just so they could become almost universally hated and increasingly irrelevant hunters of endangered monster species. Lambert is especially bitter about this. If you let Letho live because you thought his goal of re-establishing a Witcher school was a noble idea, you are a Bad Person.

There's actually an exchange during the first Letho fight in The Witcher 2. Letho said he didn't plan on making him take the blame and it was Geralt's fault for acting as a bodyguard for a warmonger. He actually thought of Geralt as a friend up until the end.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Letho: Why do you hound me?!
Geralt: They think I killed Foltest!
Letho: It's your own fault for playing soldier-boy!

The fact that I have this exchange memorized has absolutely nothing to do with having to restart that fight over and over again. Not at all.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

What also shows that Letho didn't set Geralt up was that Letho tells him that when he saw Geralt behind Foltest shortly before assassination he was sure he's done for by this freak coincidence because Geralt should immediately recognize him. That's when he learned that Geralt has amnesia (or that Geralt's amnesia isn't just a gossip, I don't remember) which let him go through with the plan.

I must say that the last conversation with Letho in Witcher 2 was extremely satisfying. You could really ask the guy about everything and get answers to most of the questions. It could be so long (if you wanted to) that by the end of it you had a feeling that the game really wrapped up and fighting him isn't necessary to get closure. I thought that was very nicely executed from a game design point of view.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Anybody been playing after upgrading to Windows 10? The upgrade is sitting there waiting for me but I don't want to activate it if it means missing out on Witchering

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Reasons of State If it's what I'm thinking of, Geralt has reasons for not wanting Dijkstra to know Ciri is alive and he's found her.

It's a line of dialog that Geralt says if you reject the assassination plot at the last moment, but isn't Dijkstra supposed to know about Ciri anyway if you asked him for help earlier?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Palpek posted:

What also shows that Letho didn't set Geralt up was that Letho tells him that when he saw Geralt behind Foltest shortly before assassination he was sure he's done for by this freak coincidence because Geralt should immediately recognize him. That's when he learned that Geralt has amnesia (or that Geralt's amnesia isn't just a gossip, I don't remember) which let him go through with the plan.

I must say that the last conversation with Letho in Witcher 2 was extremely satisfying. You could really ask the guy about everything and get answers to most of the questions. It could be so long (if you wanted to) that by the end of it you had a feeling that the game really wrapped up and fighting him isn't necessary to get closure. I thought that was very nicely executed from a game design point of view.

Yeah, it actually felt like a proper climax, to get all those answers after a tense conversation, which is more than many games have accomplished with boss fights. I am on the saving Letho team, given he was only in this situation because he was taking care of Yennefer after helping Geralt find her, and had just rescued Triss from Radovid's mage genocide. There was no way I'd kill him.

So, how about that New Games + mode, uh?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Palpek posted:

This whole scene reminded me of the ending to Kill Bill Vol 2. Which is one of my favorite endings in the way it disarms the antagonist and makes you sympathize with them. Letho and Geralt should be bros 4 lyfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I don't think that any of the witchers are exactly opposed to more witchers existing, I think their hesitation was that they're all aware of the suffering involved to continue the traditions, which seems counter to their purpose as a net effect of reducing human suffering. Witchers in modern times don't seem to be exactly all that wealthy - about the same level as mercenaries or certain tradesmen might get and also because :thatsfeudalism:.

I think the Letho decision might be bugged importing into Witcher 3 though. I'm 90%+ positive I let Letho live in the save game I loaded and when I got to one of the places he could show up in Witcher 3 n hours in :smith: In many respects, I felt like Letho was a bit more like Harrison Ford's character in the Fugitive than the main character from Ninja Assassin or something.

I think that the goal of reviving a witcher school is controversial rather than unambiguously awful. You could argue that the death and destruction wreaked by that the monsters that witchers kill throughout their lifetime is worth preventing the deaths of many other innocents. A point made several times throughout the quests is that non-witchers try to eliminate monsters all the time.... and oftentimes fail or make the problems even worse. Whether hurting a few is worth the potential of saving many more is not going away from human debates probably ever.