Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
There's a Stamina mod that makes it so hand-crafting eats away at your health. I've been meaning to try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gibbo posted:

Why are you playing ~factorio~ if you're not going to bother learning how to set up a factory?

Because in the singleplayer campaign there usually isn't any reason to except for specific things?

I mean, I set up automated mining/smelting, because I need the raw materials, and I set up automatic crafting of ammo and research packs, because I need those in huge quantities. Likewise whatever I need for the mission objective. But most things -- turrets, weapons, transport belts, pipes, power plants, hydro poles, etc -- I need only in small quantities. It's faster to just craft them from inventory than set up a production line, and often it's even faster to craft them from inventory than it is to run back to wherever the production line would be if I had built it to empty a chest or something.

As a result of this, I do set up factories, but I have no practice at making factories that scale. All my designs are ad hoc setups of belts, inserters, and assemblers that work for what they do but can't easily be expanded to multiply production.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

Because in the singleplayer campaign there usually isn't any reason to except for specific things?

I mean, I set up automated mining/smelting, because I need the raw materials, and I set up automatic crafting of ammo and research packs, because I need those in huge quantities. Likewise whatever I need for the mission objective. But most things -- turrets, weapons, transport belts, pipes, power plants, hydro poles, etc -- I need only in small quantities. It's faster to just craft them from inventory than set up a production line, and often it's even faster to craft them from inventory than it is to run back to wherever the production line would be if I had built it to empty a chest or something.

As a result of this, I do set up factories, but I have no practice at making factories that scale. All my designs are ad hoc setups of belts, inserters, and assemblers that work for what they do but can't easily be expanded to multiply production.

The campaign sucks once you pick up the basics, just play sandbox

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If at any point you find yourself crafting something in your own hands like a peasant you should set up a factory to do it for you. This is a good way to stop yourself from just not doing poo poo.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

There's a Stamina mod that makes it so hand-crafting eats away at your health. I've been meaning to try that.

Convinced me to get off my lazy rear end and update it for 0.12.

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=14222

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I cannot fathom not crafting anything by hand and not getting overrun by biters while waiting for automated production of small things to get rolling. If I don't hand craft a few turrets sometime in the first 15-25 minutes or so, I die or lose half of what I've built.

Granted I haven't played 0.12 with biters attack first, are they supposed to be different? In any case, I try to be hand crafting something at all times that I'll need in the future.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 28, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm not saying never do it, but if you handcraft more than around 10 turrets you may not be getting the point of the game.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I try to always be crafting something. It may be gamey, but that crafting my guy does by hand, wiring circuitboards as I fight off a biter swarm or whatever, that's throughput that consumes no power, no fuel, and produces no pollution.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

DarthJeebus posted:

I cannot fathom not crafting anything by hand and not getting overrun by biters while waiting for automated production of small things to get rolling. If I don't hand craft a few turrets sometime in the first 15-25 minutes or so, I die or lose half of what I've built.

Granted I haven't played 0.12 with biters attack first, are they supposed to be different? In any case, I try to be hand crafting something at all times that I'll need in the future.

That's really what's holding me back, the first 20 minutes I'm crafting as hard as I can to get out of Caveman Mode. There would be a good chuck of time dedicated to fishing and not factoring. :effort:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Fans posted:

I'm not saying never do it, but if you handcraft more than around 10 turrets you may not be getting the point of the game.

Meh, I handcraft most of my gun turrets. I definitely manufacture laser turrets and I don't think I've ever handcrafted a single count of piercing ammo.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

How do I do the logistics for fluid networks? So that Cracking is only done if lube is topped off.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Krataar posted:

How do I do the logistics for fluid networks? So that Cracking is only done if lube is topped off.

Tanks and pumps. An inactive pump won't let fluid through, and tanks give the readout of the amount. You need to use red or green wires; they don't hook up to the logistics network.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Anyone keen for some MP? Or should I be organising MP through the Goontorio Steam group?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

handcrafting/mining definitely helps speed things along and save on pollution in the early game. In free play I usually don't build any burners, just use the ones you start with in combo with pick-mining until you've got a steam engine running. nothing attacks me until I'm ready for it.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I'm up for setting up a MP game. I usually just continue a map though and build another factory when my current one dissatisfies me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is cross‐platform play possible at this point?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Platystemon posted:

I can join my linux dedicated server with my windows machine, so probably.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I can join my linux dedicated server with my mac, so maybe.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

I routinely play cross platform with mods, it works just fine.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

One thing I'd love in this game was if I could filter the tank's inventory like my toolbars, or even better, it had some logistics slots so I can have it fill up with only so much fuel and the rest with ammo or whatever else I choose.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Jesus, I just built a research lab whose random name was so long the window stretched over the page.

You can't deconstruct things through that window, so the only way I could remove it was using the deconstruction planner when it was in that narrow band at the bottom of the screen...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Tenebrais posted:

Jesus, I just built a research lab whose random name was so long the window stretched over the page.

You can't deconstruct things through that window, so the only way I could remove it was using the deconstruction planner when it was in that narrow band at the bottom of the screen...

Yeah, they really need to remove that donation name, or at least truncate it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

michael pratt is my hero

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I have a stupid question. How do you change the size of the area covered when putting down concrete/stone bricks?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

LLSix posted:

I have a stupid question. How do you change the size of the area covered when putting down concrete/stone bricks?

Numpad +/-, or change the bindings in controls.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Phssthpok posted:

Numpad +/-, or change the bindings in controls.

I could really have used that information a few days ago

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I did the same with the blueprint. Seemed like the best way to do it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Pave this gay earth.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

1.4 needs to add the ability to chrome the moon.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Are explosive cannon shells any good.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it in this thread, but the autoloader mod is amazing. It automatically places fuel or ammunition from your inventory into things that require fuel or ammunition when you place them. It makes using burner inserters much more convenient since they start with 1 fuel loaded and you don't need to manually fill them.

The only downside is that it makes turrets with piercing ammo hilariously good at breaking biter bases. You can build 15-30 turrets and just drop them in a line as you approach the base to kill everything in short order. Granted, you do go through huge amounts of ammo in the process.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

As of one of the latest patches, burner inserters start with enough energy to grab one item to fuel themselves.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Boogalo posted:

As of one of the latest patches, burner inserters start with enough energy to grab one item to fuel themselves.

Has anyone else had trouble with this when using blueprints?

about Every 8th burner for me fails to fuel itself before running out of energy

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Zephyrine posted:

Are explosive cannon shells any good.

No, but with the regular shells + piercing ammo you can shred bases.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I admit that I am bad at pipes. How do I get the pesky water on the right into my horrible steam contraption?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Set them up so they're on separate lines. 1 pump, 14 boilers, 10 steam engines. I don't think water, or any liquids, can handle that kind of grid distribution well without lots of pumps keeping pressure up.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Yah, pipes can only move X(maybe 10 if I remember right) units of water a sec. When you do the 1 14 10 setup you are maxing the pipes between the pump the boilers and the boilers and the first steam engine. So if you want more steam engines you need a new line of pipes.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Boogalo posted:

Set them up so they're on separate lines. 1 pump, 14 boilers, 10 steam engines. I don't think water, or any liquids, can handle that kind of grid distribution well without lots of pumps keeping pressure up.

Don't multiple pumps on the same system also interfere with each other, or has that been fixed? I always just have one well per 14/10 system. It's not like it costs that much more resources and it requires no pumps.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Hagop posted:

Yah, pipes can only move X(maybe 10 if I remember right) units of water a sec. When you do the 1 14 10 setup you are maxing the pipes between the pump the boilers and the boilers and the first steam engine. So if you want more steam engines you need a new line of pipes.

Exactly that. I tried a giant steam power grid, including randomly placing tanks and pumps after heating the water and it never quite worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

But giving each set of boilers their own pipeline is :effort: and takes up enormous amounts of space.