Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

isndl posted:

I'll just have to be extra smug about having a Turbo/Maxx, since Motorola apparently doesn't want to release a true successor. :smug:

If only they could get the Lollipop updates out just a little faster... :negative:

for real. might just buy a turbo to upgrade my maxx. whoulda thunk it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Uh, completely different model lines people.

I would expect Verizon to hold an event in the September to October timeframe to announce the next Droid phone. X isn't meant to be a successor to the Turbo.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

Uh, completely different model lines people.

I would expect Verizon to hold an event in the September to October timeframe to announce the next Droid phone. X isn't meant to be a successor to the Turbo.

I didn't want a successor to the Turbo, or the Maxx. I want a phone that is going to get updates that are not delayed by a carrior and has all the features I want.

If the new X had Qi, then it could have been that phone.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Is there a release date for the Moto G 2 gb RAM version? Only one I've found is 'later this year'.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

...after a week having cleared the cache, my Turbo still will stop charging with the charger and USB cable that came with it in around 2 days. Same results with the ~ 5 random chargers and ~ 7 cables J have lying around.

Restarting while charging fixes it and battery life is overall improved by 5.1. It's just kinda annoying. Haven't tried factory reset but gently caress that.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

nocal posted:

You're right, I really miss carrying an extra battery, which I have to also charge at some point.

Phones that have external batteries generally get battery charging docks on Amazon for like $10-15. Better than walking around with a power bank or choosing between rationing your phone throughout the day.

I'm selling my OnePlus One and getting the Moto X, but the next phone I get better have an external battery. I'm starting to get really sick of my phones deteriorating despite taking extremely good care of my batteries' charging habits.

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Quick question from a relatively inexperienced / new Android user.

I switched over from iPhone a while ago, and haven't looked back. As soon as I discovered alternate launchers (I'm using Apex Pro) and their customizations, I've gone crazy tweaking my phone to my preferences. I love it.
Recently, I was updated to 5.0.2, and I am very pleased with almost every change the update brought. However, I really do not like the notification preview thing for text messages. When I get a text, a large white box comes up on my screen, over whatever I'm doing, showing me whoever is texting, buttons to reply/read/call, and a preview of the message. See attached pic for reference. I did not take the pic, just found it on Google Images. I do not want this little window to pop up. I don't want someone looking at my phone to be able to read any message that comes in. I would think that this would be a pretty simple fix, for security reasons, but I've scoured through every setting I can think of, and it won't go away. It doesn't come up for emails, so why can't I turn it off for texts? I still want to receive a notification when I get a text, but I don't need the little preview window. Is this something I can turn off, or do I just have to live with it and hope nobody ever texts me while someone is looking at my phone.

For reference, I'm using a HTC One M9 with Android 5.0.2, and using Hello as my SMS app.

Thanks in advance!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Jesus the Moto X Style is going to be $399/£359 that's really taking the piss, guess I'll import one from America.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Popehoist posted:

Jesus the Moto X Style is going to be $399/£359 that's really taking the piss, guess I'll import one from America.
UK prices include VAT, US prices do not. So it's ~£50 more, which is basically accounted for by duties and smaller economies of scale on shipping/distribution in the UK.

It's not like this is a new phenomenon.

Note that the new Moto G is $179/£179 so I was just expecting it to be £400

Tunga fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 29, 2015

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Emmitt Nervend posted:

Quick question from a relatively inexperienced / new Android user.

I switched over from iPhone a while ago, and haven't looked back. As soon as I discovered alternate launchers (I'm using Apex Pro) and their customizations, I've gone crazy tweaking my phone to my preferences. I love it.
Recently, I was updated to 5.0.2, and I am very pleased with almost every change the update brought. However, I really do not like the notification preview thing for text messages. When I get a text, a large white box comes up on my screen, over whatever I'm doing, showing me whoever is texting, buttons to reply/read/call, and a preview of the message. See attached pic for reference. I did not take the pic, just found it on Google Images. I do not want this little window to pop up. I don't want someone looking at my phone to be able to read any message that comes in. I would think that this would be a pretty simple fix, for security reasons, but I've scoured through every setting I can think of, and it won't go away. It doesn't come up for emails, so why can't I turn it off for texts? I still want to receive a notification when I get a text, but I don't need the little preview window. Is this something I can turn off, or do I just have to live with it and hope nobody ever texts me while someone is looking at my phone.

For reference, I'm using a HTC One M9 with Android 5.0.2, and using Hello as my SMS app.

Thanks in advance!

Long tap on the Notification and hit the (i) button or go to Settings -> Sound and Notification (on a Nexus at least) and you should be able to find an option for app notifications, you can then set them as "Sensitive" this means you have to unlock the phone to view the contents of the notification. If you want to you can also Block notifications so they don't show up at all from that application... I thought there was a way to block even more but that might be it for now with the default settings.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

beedeebee posted:

Is there a release date for the Moto G 2 gb RAM version? Only one I've found is 'later this year'.

I'm also waiting on this news. No idea why it wasn't released on Day One; it doesn't require any extra work at the factory and the upgrades aren't high-end parts with limited availability.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FistEnergy posted:

I'm also waiting on this news. No idea why it wasn't released on Day One; it doesn't require any extra work at the factory and the upgrades aren't high-end parts with limited availability.
Weird. Both models are in stock in the UK.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I can put together a 16 + 2 GB G on Moto Maker right now and add it to the cart just fine (US).

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

VodeAndreas posted:

Long tap on the Notification and hit the (i) button or go to Settings -> Sound and Notification (on a Nexus at least) and you should be able to find an option for app notifications, you can then set them as "Sensitive" this means you have to unlock the phone to view the contents of the notification. If you want to you can also Block notifications so they don't show up at all from that application... I thought there was a way to block even more but that might be it for now with the default settings.

I don't have an option for "sensitive." The only choices are "block" which I don't want because I still want to get notifications that I have a text, and "priority" which seems to keep the notification at the top of the list in the window, which is also not what I'm looking for. This really seems like it should be such an easy fix...

edit: It also seems weird to me that text messages are the only thing this happens with. No other apps force a preview notification.

edit 2: From what I've read, the sensitive mode only stops notifications from appearing on the lock screen, which I don't care about, as I don't use a lock screen. The notification I'm talking about is when the phone is in use, and the bar come up over whatever is on the screen (video, Facebook, home screen, whatever).

Emmitt Nervend fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 29, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Tunga posted:

Something that just caught my eye on G+, one of the Android Police writers says the Snapdragon 615 is terrible:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/113781386215450614303/posts/ai1NGyKnKLS

Holy poo poo:

quote:

Tl;dr, Snapdragon 615 is bar-none the worst Qualcomm product I've used in 2014/15 and I would avoid any phone with it like the plague. I'd take an Intel chipset at this price point every single day of the week over the 615. Do. Not. Want.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Look in the messaging app for a pop-up preview setting you can disable. If it's not there just get a replacement messaging app like you did for your launcher. I use Chomp SMS

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The "sensitive" should still be an option for notifications. If it isn't, the OEM ripped it out.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Emmitt Nervend posted:

I don't have an option for "sensitive." The only choices are "block" which I don't want because I still want to get notifications that I have a text, and "priority" which seems to keep the notification at the top of the list in the window, which is also not what I'm looking for. This really seems like it should be such an easy fix...

edit: It also seems weird to me that text messages are the only thing this happens with. No other apps force a preview notification.

Try opening the Messaging app you use, then going to Settings > Notification Settings and unchecking "Message Pop-up". You might also need to uncheck "Preview".

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Jacobus Spades posted:

Try opening the Messaging app you use, then going to Settings > Notification Settings and unchecking "Message Pop-up". You might also need to uncheck "Preview".

I do not have these options in Hello...

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

I can put together a 16 + 2 GB G on Moto Maker right now and add it to the cart just fine (US).

Selecting Moto G 3rd Gen on the Moto Maker takes me to the $179.99 version and only lets me select the front/back colors. No option to change SKU and I don't see it even if I back out and look at the list of all Moto phones. Maybe because I'm looking from my phone?

Edit: found it, it's all the way at the end after fully customizing the look.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 29, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I woke up today to 5.1.1 waiting for me on my Z3c, finally! Cannot wait to see if the memory hole is plugged and my audio stops pausing/cutting out. Strange thing though, it appears that several widgets that I use are now missing. Listen Audiobook player and Audible are the two that I noticed. They worked just fine in 5.0.2. Does anyone know why they would be missing from the menu selection as well as wiped off of my existing home screens?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

Selecting Moto G 3rd Gen on the Moto Maker takes me to the $179.99 version and only lets me select the front/back colors. No option to change SKU and I don't see it even if I back out and look at the list of all Moto phones. Maybe because I'm looking from my phone?
Works for me on a computer in the US.

Putting it in my cart says it's in stock and will arrive by August 6.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Emmitt Nervend posted:

The notification I'm talking about is when the phone is in use, and the bar come up over whatever is on the screen (video, Facebook, home screen, whatever).
This is called "Peek" and you can disable it on a per-app basis...in Android M. Hope you bought a phone that gets updates!

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Tunga posted:

This is called "Peek" and you can disable it on a per-app basis...in Android M. Hope you bought a phone that gets updates!

Nope, that's not what I'm talking about at all.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Emmitt Nervend posted:

I can't find anything that says Hello has a pop up option so it seems like there's something you've installed that's giving the second notification. The one at the top looks like the standard heads up/peek notification but I have no idea what that one in the middle is.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Emmitt Nervend posted:

Nope, that's not what I'm talking about at all.
In what sense?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Man if the new Moto G had active display it would be perfect, but I can't believe its slightly larger than the Moto X 2014. The Moto X Pure is just humongous to me.

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

datajosh posted:

I can't find anything that says Hello has a pop up option so it seems like there's something you've installed that's giving the second notification. The one at the top looks like the standard heads up/peek notification but I have no idea what that one in the middle is.

Ignore the one in the middle, it's not important and I don;t know what it is either, I just grabbed that pic from google to show an example of what I'm talking about. I haven't installed anything that would be doing this, and it only started happening when I updated to v5. If that is the standard heads up notification, how can I stop it?

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Emmitt Nervend posted:

Sorry, I was looking at the default Messaging app. I took a look at hello and don't see a similar option... you could always try opening the default app and seeing if changing the setting there changes the behavior for hello. (ninja edit: I'm not sure why it would to be honest, but worth a shot...)

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Already tried this. The notifications are completely off in the default messenger app, and it is still happening.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I woke up today to 5.1.1 waiting for me on my Z3c, finally! Cannot wait to see if the memory hole is plugged and my audio stops pausing/cutting out. Strange thing though, it appears that several widgets that I use are now missing. Listen Audiobook player and Audible are the two that I noticed. They worked just fine in 5.0.2. Does anyone know why they would be missing from the menu selection as well as wiped off of my existing home screens?

Wanted to follow-up with this, and to highlight again the awesome support from the developer of Listen. Here is his response, and it was indeed correct. I'm not sure at what point apps were moved to my SD Card (must have been during the 5.1.1 update?) but I'll be sure to be more attentive with the low storage warnings and make sure only photos/videos go over there.

quote:

The most likely reason you cannot see the widgets for certain apps is that you have an sd card and have moved the apps installed location to the sd card. Android disables widgets for apps installed on removable memory. You can move the app back to main memory in the system settings App Info page for each app. I hope that helps.

best,
/jared

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Emmitt Nervend posted:

Ignore the one in the middle, it's not important and I don;t know what it is either, I just grabbed that pic from google to show an example of what I'm talking about. I haven't installed anything that would be doing this, and it only started happening when I updated to v5. If that is the standard heads up notification, how can I stop it?
Oh, okay, I thought that was a screenshot from your phone. Yeah, that's new in Lollipop and I don't know that it can be disabled.

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

datajosh posted:

Oh, okay, I thought that was a screenshot from your phone. Yeah, that's new in Lollipop and I don't know that it can be disabled.

Apparently it indeed can be disabled in "M."

However, I have found a solution. Thanks to whoever pointed out that it's called Heads Up. While it cannot be turned off on its own, there is an app called HeadsOff that will disable it. Everything is hunky dorey now! Thanks everyone!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Emmitt Nervend posted:

Apparently it indeed can be disabled in "M."

However, I have found a solution. Thanks to whoever pointed out that it's called Heads Up. While it cannot be turned off on its own, there is an app called HeadsOff that will disable it. Everything is hunky dorey now! Thanks everyone!
Was coming back to post this, just found the same app for you!

The community calls it "heads up" because that's what it's called in the sourcecode and some XDA/CM guys found it unfinished a few OS versions back. I don't think Google ever gave it a name until M, where the toggle for it is called "Peek".

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Tunga posted:

Was coming back to post this, just found the same app for you!

The community calls it "heads up" because that's what it's called in the sourcecode and some XDA/CM guys found it unfinished a few OS versions back. I don't think Google ever gave it a name until M, where the toggle for it is called "Peek".

I see that now. I thought earlier it was a different thing because all I could find about peek was the notification thing that comes up on the lock screen when you pick the phone up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The more I think about it, the more I feel I'm likely to trade my Turbo in for a new Moto X. The lack of Qi will hurt and that still may sway me away, but the idea of getting not-nexus but pretty much nexus phone is really drat appealing and the phone looks amazing. After owning like 5 black slabs in a row, I'm ready for something that's a bit stylistically different.

The battery should be sufficient. The phone overall should should be more efficient than the turbo and as it is I usually put my phone on the charger with 70%-80% charge left at the end of the day. The camera also looks really promising so far.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Emmitt Nervend posted:

I see that now. I thought earlier it was a different thing because all I could find about peek was the notification thing that comes up on the lock screen when you pick the phone up.
Ahhh, yes, so the Moto X had a thing called "Peek" that is nothing like the thing that Google now calls "Peek" but nobody else does.

Because Android.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 29, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

To be fair, Moto had the thing called Peek first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

bull3964 posted:

The more I think about it, the more I feel I'm likely to trade my Turbo in for a new Moto X. The lack of Qi will hurt and that still may sway me away, but the idea of getting not-nexus but pretty much nexus phone is really drat appealing and the phone looks amazing. After owning like 5 black slabs in a row, I'm ready for something that's a bit stylistically different.

The battery should be sufficient. The phone overall should should be more efficient than the turbo and as it is I usually put my phone on the charger with 70%-80% charge left at the end of the day. The camera also looks really promising so far.

I would wait to see camera results in low-light.

I will admit that stylistically I'd love to get a new Moto X, but the lack of Qi is a god drat killer. I don't know why Moto hasn't done it 3 times now.