Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm going to go with the fact that thing can probably get out dragged by an original Bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
http://hoodline.com/2015/07/wiggle-stop-in-to-protest-stop-sign-enforcement-cyclists

quote:

The Wigg Party, a local community organization, is protesting the SFPD Park District's plans to step up traffic enforcement against cyclists via a "Stop-In," which will be held tonight at 5:30pm, starting near Waller and Steiner streets along the Wiggle. Participants in the Stop-In will bike single-file from stop sign to stop sign, coming to a full and complete stop at every intersection (and in all likelihood, snarling traffic in the process). The organizers say they want to draw attention to their belief that the new restrictions will slow traffic, without enhancing safety.

[…]

Fitzgibbons, like many San Francisco cyclists, believes that laws requiring bicyclists to stop at all stop signs are unfeasible and unenforceable. Stop signs were "meant for two thousand-pound vehicles with limited sight lines and literal mortal consequences when mistakes are made, conditions that don't apply to bicycles," he said. (He's yet to have any interaction with SFPD regarding the crackdown.)

The Wigg Party argues that requiring cyclists to stop at stop signs "is just a lazy legal afterthought, stepping from the prevailing idea that streets exist exclusively for automobiles and anything on the street should follow the same rules." Fitzgibbons said his group's plan to obey the letter of the law is a form of civil disobedience, intended to "help educate Capt. Sanford about the absurdity of his position."

These are the roadkill cyclists you share a road with.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

It would be trivial to snarl traffic in the same way by leading a group of cars on the same route, that doesn't mean cars shouldn't have to obey stop signs.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

People in general don't look properly while driving/riding... Stops are annoying but are generally there for a reason.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 30, 2015

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

PT6A posted:

So, what was the issue with them parking there? It's not great, but it's not like they're taking up a lot of space in a particularly busy parking lot and I don't know where else they'd park.

Wyoming is also known for flipping semis, wanna guess what that thing would do in a strong fart?

Not sure about that flipped hitch, is that a undersized hitch and ball?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm going to go with the fact that thing can probably get out dragged by an original Bus.

You'd probably have a heart attack if you saw the size of the caravans that people tow with clapped out Renaults in Europe.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

People in general don't look properly while driving/riding... Stops are annoying but are generally there for a reason.

An interesting angle on this is the fact that the classical 2-way/4-way stop of the US is not the end-all-be-all of intersection handling. I bike too, and it's annoying to have to stop, especially for no reason. Not as annoying as having to be scraped off the pavement with a spatula, of course, but counterproductive nonetheless. For traffic with a large percentage of bikes, a roundabout (with bike paths) or a yield sign (which are as ubiquitous in Europe as stop signs are in the US) creates a much better flow for all involved.

Stop signs around here are generally reserved for "fucker-this-is-a-blind-angle-entering-a-formula-one-circuit-with-known-drunk-and-angry-drivers-fourteen-people-were-killed-here-yesterday-alone-we-really-mean-it-come-to-a-complete-stop-now!" locations. I think I run into one about once a year.

dissss posted:

You'd probably have a heart attack if you saw the size of the caravans that people tow with clapped out Renaults in Europe.

This thing:

a 95 passat, could legally be loaded with 650kgs, and attached to a 1200kg trailer/caravan, provided it had brakes, and driven by me, with the lowest class license there is.

Not that I'd do it, mind you, but the idea of what can tow what is vastly different on either side of the pond.

bolind fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 30, 2015

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I wish i could say i felt sorry for the bicyclist , but 99% of bike riders in the pnw (read seattle to portland) are absolute twats and the worst that the bicycling community has to offer.

Yeah agreed. 99% of them are absolute twats and you will never EVER find evidence that it is actually the motorists that are mostly at fault. gently caress it, theses CUNTS on bicycles. 99% of them do not even own a car or have a drivers licences. They are literally alien creatures who are totally different from the people you live and work with.

gently caress those loving cyclist and their soft squishy bodies.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sigma posted:

http://hoodline.com/2015/07/wiggle-stop-in-to-protest-stop-sign-enforcement-cyclists

quote:

Fitzgibbons, like many San Francisco cyclists, believes that laws requiring bicyclists to stop at all stop signs are unfeasible and unenforceable. Stop signs were "meant for two thousand-pound vehicles with limited sight lines and literal mortal consequences when mistakes are made, conditions that don't apply to bicycles," he said. (He's yet to have any interaction with SFPD regarding the crackdown.)

These are the roadkill cyclists you share a road with.

Neat! I bet you could apply the same logic to motorcycles too. Wouldn't that be awesome?

NO. No it would not be.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There are still mortal consequences when bicycles make mistakes, though. It's called I run your Lance Armstrong rear end over and you dent my passenger side lower control arm with what's left of your skull.

Holy poo poo that guy has a death wish.

I really like that we have 'bike boxes' in my city now; it gives the bicyclists a few extra seconds to do a launch and get up to speed so it's easier to get traffic going. I much prefer the dedicated bike lanes to having them ride in a regular car lane of traffic as well.

I do wish more cyclists wore helmets, but the last time I spoke to some rabid cyclists about it they were convinced helmet laws were an attempt by the government to make cycling less cool, more expensive and reduce ridership by harassing riders using the state.

I don't think I've ever encountered the stereotypical Critical Mass cyclist. I genuinely respect some of the guys I see busting rear end on the giant hill outside my office while I idle up it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 30, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I do wish more cyclists wore helmets, but the last time I spoke to some rabid cyclists about it they were convinced helmet laws were an attempt by the government to make cycling less cool, more expensive and reduce ridership by harassing riders using the state.

You have laws on helmet use over there? Here it's a case of whatever you feel and studies can't decide whether it's beneficial to wear one or not.

That said law or not some of your roads over there are crazy and seeing as drivers aren't used to bikes in the first place you'd have to be pretty brave to go out there. Here it's not so bad, mostly impatient drivers behind you who don't realise that up a hill it's pretty hard to go fast. Lazy fuckers.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Silver mini-SUV runs a light in the rain and hits 2 other cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxT6klHfiMs

SUV driver is a moron. How on earth did they think they were even remotely going to make that light?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

88h88 posted:

You have laws on helmet use over there?

At the state/local level, with most laws only applying to minors.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Geoj posted:

At the state/local level, with most laws only applying to minors.

Texas requires minor riders to wear a helmet, but after 18 you're free to have a closed-casket funeral :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GramCracker posted:

SUV driver is a moron. How on earth did they think they were even remotely going to make that light?

I'm quite sure that making the light wasn't a consideration, as they were probably busy looking at their phone, putting on makeup/shaving, or otherwise didn't look at the light at all.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Are brake checks ok after you pull out in front of someone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IgOw5FbkAE

E: Have this as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX8EMsKx6os

PenisMonkey fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 30, 2015

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

PenisMonkey posted:

I've had people brake check me.

While going up Donner.

In a loaded semi.

One of these days someone is going to find out if they really can fit a tire thumper up their piss hole.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

InterceptorV8 posted:

One of these days someone other than nutcup is going to find out if they really can fit a tire thumper up their piss hole.

FTFY

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

It is a stupid protest, but Idaho stop laws actually make a lot of sense and haven't resulted in large scale death and distruction anywhere.
And as someone pointed out stop signs are way over used in the US. We have stop signs in front of roundabouts for fucks sake.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Hang on to your hat Hans, this is a bumpy ride!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There's something I could have happily gone my whole life without reading.

Jesus.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Waiting to take a left turn onto a busy street from a side street on my motorcycle earlier. Woman pulls up next to me angled to the right, figure she's trying to get out to the right, fair enough, the lane is really wide, no harm in us both getting ready to move at once.

Suddenly, an opening in both directions of traffic...... And the SUV next to me pulls out across in front of me and takes a left just as I'm about to go. Good thing I hesitated a second.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

InterceptorV8 posted:

Hang on to your hat Hans, this is a bumpy ride!

So, no children in their lives, then?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

:stonk:

That's a new and innovative form of birth control.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

What is sex education?

And why aren't kids taught the mantra; "up the bum no babies" ??

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Giant urethra or microcock, YOU BE THE JUDGE

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

Giant urethra or microcock, YOU BE THE JUDGE

Considering the doctor was tricked, I'm guessing column A.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There are still mortal consequences when bicycles make mistakes, though. It's called I run your Lance Armstrong rear end over and you dent my passenger side lower control arm with what's left of your skull.

Holy poo poo that guy has a death wish.

I really like that we have 'bike boxes' in my city now; it gives the bicyclists a few extra seconds to do a launch and get up to speed so it's easier to get traffic going. I much prefer the dedicated bike lanes to having them ride in a regular car lane of traffic as well.

I don't think I've ever encountered the stereotypical Critical Mass cyclist. I genuinely respect some of the guys I see busting rear end on the giant hill outside my office while I idle up it.

After a month of commuting by bike I understand why urban cyclists are so angry. Jesus loving christ, I will start getting angry about bikes breaking traffic laws when more than 1 car of 50 follows cal veh code 21760.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nm posted:

After a month of commuting by bike I understand why urban cyclists are so angry. Jesus loving christ, I will start getting angry about bikes breaking traffic laws when more than 1 car of 50 follows cal veh code 21760.
I did this before it was law v:confused:v

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

HEH- angry people, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PFRdEUN240&feature=youtu.be&t=2m53s

[e] not mine obviously. Some idiot cyclist in England.

tuna fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 31, 2015

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PenisMonkey posted:

First guy is a son of a bitch for pulling out in front of you, but that's not much of a brake check either.

Second guy - dazed and confused, but mundane. 3/10.

Hilarious. I'm jealous of the dual cams too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

tuna posted:

HEH- angry people, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PFRdEUN240&feature=youtu.be&t=2m53s

[e] not mine obviously. Some idiot cyclist in England.

Oh this is wonderful. What a sad angry twat he is. He pulls out all the usual tired worn arguments "do you have insurance?" "why aren't you wearing a helmet" "do you have a car?" but he missed the old favourite so I couldn't get angry dickhead bingo. He missed "you don't pay road tax".

I hope he really hurt himself the silly fat gently caress.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
More cyclist talk:
http://boingboing.net/2015/07/30/singer-alysha-brilla-and-siste.html

nm
Jan 28, 2008

No one seems to understand how loving uncontrolled crosswalks work. You are legally required to stop at a crosswalk if aomeone wants to cross, so don't get so pissed that I *dared* to stop at a crosswalk. Also, if it is a multilane road, don't loving blow by me in the other lane, that is how people die.
Basically everyone who drives a car (including myself for other reasons) is a self centered rear end in a top hat.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

nm posted:

It is a stupid protest, but Idaho stop laws actually make a lot of sense and haven't resulted in large scale death and distruction anywhere.
And as someone pointed out stop signs are way over used in the US. We have stop signs in front of roundabouts for fucks sake.

This is what happens when selfish assholes don't know what "right of way" means - you end up with a million stop signs and impatient, angry people bitching because they can't figure out how to share a road and have a little courtesy.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

nm posted:

Basically everyone is a self centered rear end in a top hat.

Ozz81 posted:

people can't have a little courtesy.

If we just got rid of all the people it would make everything better.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

If we just got rid of all the people it would make everything better.

Absolutely. Kill em all.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
stop for nothing, let insurance figure it all out

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had some rear end in a lifted truck flashing his highs at me because I was slowing down since the 2 cars in front of me were slowing and had their turns signals on. When they got off the main road he floored it to try and get in front of me so I did too and made him wait. It was a childish thing for me to do even if he was an impatient prick, so today I was the person you shared the road with. He could see why I wasn't accelerating just to brake at the last moment. why not just sit tight for another 15 seconds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
loving with those people really is the best