Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jedi Council: Acts of War #4:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That's pretty great, although the Emperor's poo poo-eating grin, coupled with the fully serious line "Get me Vilmarh Grahrk" kinda reminds you that yes, this is Star Wars comics, with all associated problems.
...took me four checks to be sure I had that spelled right.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Did he jab his lightsaber into something explosive there at the end or something? Just goes from that to him being dead apparently. Kinda anti-climactic without at least a distant shot of an explosion or something tho I guess it makes more sense/is more badass in context.
Or is he actually just talking to them to delay them and then...hiding his lightsaber or something? He was all talking about not taking life unless you have to, so maybe a Jedi wouldn't pull that explosive finish.

vvvvvv haha, I was thinking the same thing, like, drat what kind of master dies against some lizard men. Captain Kirk handled that poo poo

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 30, 2015

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

A Jedi Master can't be all that great if he's gonna die at the hands of the Gorn. :colbert: Though him being passive aggressive was kinda funny.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Did he jab his lightsaber into something explosive there at the end or something? Just goes from that to him being dead apparently. Kinda anti-climactic without at least a distant shot of an explosion or something tho I guess it makes more sense/is more badass in context.
Or is he actually just talking to them to delay them and then...hiding his lightsaber or something? He was all talking about not taking life unless you have to, so maybe a Jedi wouldn't pull that explosive finish.
Yeah, I think he activated his lightsaber when it was right up against the tank's fuel cell or something and KA-BOOM. And I think that is allowed under the "..or to preserve the lives of others" line.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's all undercut by the fact that the rest of them, except Obi Wan, died like chumps.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Wheat Loaf posted:

That chin looks familiar.

Team Force-tress 2 :haw:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So this old Norse guy (living in the Savage Land) tricks Thor into battle hoping he could die a warrior and go to Valhalla. Thor doesn't kill him, but makes him a shield bearer against a dragon, giving the old guy a chance at glory. They get smacked around a bit and then:

Somewhere early on in Simonson's Thor run.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I love every single sound effect in Simonson's Thor

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Uthor posted:

So this old Norse guy (living in the Savage Land) tricks Thor into battle hoping he could die a warrior and go to Valhalla. Thor doesn't kill him, but makes him a shield bearer against a dragon, giving the old guy a chance at glory. They get smacked around a bit and then:

Walt Simonson is a goddamn treasure.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

That's one of the few comics I own and man is it fantastic. The old dude gets granted youth and Valhalla's finest steed and when he gets whacked he loses both. The whole issue he's moaning about how useless he is in old age but instead of getting down on losing his new found youth he manages to pierce a dragon that even Thor's hammer wasn't affecting.

Travis343 posted:

I love every single sound effect in Simonson's Thor

The KATHOOM in the last panel is so good.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

From Wolverine Origins #28.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That Ignorant Sap posted:

I always like the Wolverine vs Hulk throw downs.

In Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk he literally is torn in two. If I recall the series started with Logan coming to already having his legs and pelvis ripped off and thrown up a mountain (the legs).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Man, where did this Deodato go?

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

The second page has a really cool panel layout.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Uthor posted:

This is a small detail but notice how Odin's robes are this kind of strange powder/sky blue color? It might seem like a trippy old school comixxx color palette thing, but that's actually exactly how they are described in The Story of Sigurd and the Volsung and the Fall of the Niblungs (maybe other older sources, I was just reading that recently). Thought that was cool :gaz:!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

zoux posted:

Man, where did this Deodato go?

Isn't he the guy that did that one really good Thunderbolts arc where Norman finally snaps and pulls out the Goblin costume?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Isn't he the guy that did that one really good Thunderbolts arc where Norman finally snaps and pulls out the Goblin costume?

I'm not sure but his modern output, like in Original Sin or Avengers, looks like Reboot poser scenes with a photoshop filter over them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

This is amazing, especially the last page has the kind of perspective that shows Hulk as "the walking earthquake" and makes you believe it. Awesome stuff!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know that Hulk is allowed to have exaggerated anatomy, but I'm really distracted by his huge Captain America-style boobs.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

I know that Hulk is allowed to have exaggerated anatomy, but I'm really distracted by his huge Captain America-style boobs.

When you've got arms the size of pickup trucks, I'd say you're allowed to have breastorals.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Actually, physically stimulating the area can cause men to grow more there. to the point that some soldiers which pound their chests with their rifles as they march end up having breast-reduction surgery.

So just imagine the Hulk pounding his chest like Tarzan a few hundred times a day, and suddenly...

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Mickey Mouse is a lousy dental patient.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Please ignore this double post edit error not befitting the dignity of a grey neckbearded :regd07:

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 31, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Anybody got those panels where John Constantine talks a serial killer into killing himself. It's from Azzarello's run, not certain on the issue but the trade is called Frozen Over.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
No, but there's this bit from the Ellis/Higgens Hellblazer story "Haunted". The first line on the second page is a fantastic Constantine moment.

The guy with the white hair who's cuffed to a chair is an Aleister Crowley wannabe who tortured and murdered one of John's old exes as part of a "scarlet woman" ritual.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I don't really see anything badass about it, actually.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Discendo Vox posted:

The most badass part was that guy's hat before he took it off between panels.

digibomb
Apr 16, 2003

I hate to recommend violence, alcohol, drugs or insanity to anyone... but they have always worked for me.

Oh my god I just laughed at this for ten minutes.

Thank you.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I like it but mostly because it slots Constantine into a neat little place in an infinite chain of cosmic jobsworths. That's almost the only irony he's left available.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Discendo Vox posted:

Lead up to revenge torturing an evil person is pretty badass.

Speaking of which, here's a great Punisher page:

Go get'em Frank. :allears: Source is Ennis' Punisher MAX. Actually, that story had another of my favorites:

Nice nice nice(she's a human trafficker, I can't emphasise enough how much that's not even a fraction of what she deserves).

That arc's ending was still loving soul crushing. :smithicide:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 31, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

(From Rake at the Gates of Hell)
Calling Constantine on his poo poo is pretty badass.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Discendo Vox posted:

He's referring to a famous Aleister Crowley quote: "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." Throwing the guy's schtick back in his face when he complains about life being unfair.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

prefect posted:

He's referring to a famous Aleister Crowley quote: "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." Throwing the guy's schtick back in his face when he complains about life being unfair.

This. I was trying to avoid overexplaining the scene but welp.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Nice nice nice(she's a human trafficker, I can't emphasise enough how much that's not even a fraction of what she deserves).

What, you're not going to post the end result of all that window-throwing?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tyrone Biggums posted:

What, you're not going to post the end result of all that window-throwing?

I like how that page ends. So much said with so little.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Alhazred posted:

(From Rake at the Gates of Hell)
Calling Constantine on his poo poo is pretty badass.

This is badass. Setting up strawmen for torture scenes by having them buy a new refrigerator is not.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

On one hand, I agree, on the other hand, "setting up strawmen to be beaten" is pretty much this entire thread.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chinaman7000 posted:

On one hand, I agree, on the other hand, "setting up strawmen to be beaten" is pretty much this entire thread.

I don't get when people don't enjoy the suffering of bad people more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

I don't get when people don't enjoy the suffering of bad people more.

Because while Schadenfreude can be fun sometimes, reveling in it too much is incredibly unhealthy.