Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey

Slash posted:

How was the distillery tour?

It was very good. There were a group of 6 or 7 indian (from the sub continent) people that were asking very specific questions about how the whisky was made. They were asking about amounts, percentages and pretty much every detail of the whole process. The guide was able to answer everything they threw at her.

I get the feeling there is going to be an Indian whisky distillery opened up in the next few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey

That Works posted:

For a cheap bottle I find the Tomatin to be pretty nice, especially because I do not enjoy a lot of peat.

Had a friend over this weekend who ordered us a round of Gentleman Jack at the bar and I've got to say I quite enjoyed it. It has an interesting profile and some flavors in there that I can't quite pin down, almost a slight mint vibe going that was pretty pleasant.

We had an anniversary party this weekend and were left with Redbreast 12, Auchentoshan, Angels Envy and a Balvenie 18 as gifts. I am in good booze for a while :dance:

I did the Auchentoshan distillery tour earlier this year, it is near where my family are from in Scotland.

I prefer a peatier whisky, pretty much any Islay malt or Talisker. Weirdly, my favourite whisky is the 18 yo Glenlivet. I find it covers all the bases without being overpowering in one area.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Sludge_McBain posted:

It was very good. There were a group of 6 or 7 indian (from the sub continent) people that were asking very specific questions about how the whisky was made. They were asking about amounts, percentages and pretty much every detail of the whole process. The guide was able to answer everything they threw at her.

I get the feeling there is going to be an Indian whisky distillery opened up in the next few years.

there actually already is: http://www.amrutwhisky.co.uk/

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey

Nice one!

There might be another coming soon then.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Google Butt posted:

This is the only bottle I have on hand and I don't think one whiskey sour is going to hurt :D

Relax dudes.

I don't think that whisky is the best for whiskey sours, the sherry tones will clash I think. I've always liked mine with bourbon.

Do you like the whisky? It's okay to dilute it btw, most scotch can be diluted and especially cask strength stuff.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

spankmeister posted:

It's okay to dilute it btw, most scotch can be diluted and especially cask strength stuff.

Most scotch should be diluted with water to help "open it up" - a good general tip is to try to bring it down to ~40%abv (if its already there add only a small drop) no need to be exact, but you also don't want to drown it either

edit: don't order it like that at a bar. Order a glass of water with your neat scotch and add it yourself.

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 28, 2015

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004
I didn't see it mentioned the last few pages, but you guys should check out finedrams.com. It's a new site that just launched out of Germany I think. The guy has some pretty unbelievable prices on a good variety of scotch. I ordered a couole nikkas and a couple bottles of kavalan for not overinflated prices. He has a free shipping promo through the end of the month as well. The first order I placed near the beginning of the month has arrived, so it seems legit. Just placed another order yesterday.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Wild Turkey 101 is exceedingly drinkable at 101 proof. Nobody should be giving you poo poo about adding a bit of water or ice to open it up, either.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. Went down to the store and got a 1.75 of the Evan Williams small batch. I think I'll be trying that one in the next few days and I can't argue with the price ($20).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

drat, that is a good price for the small batch. My 750 cost me $18 plus tax, and I wouldn't buy it again at that price, but for $20 you can't go wrong.

I really don't have much of a palate for whiskey, though. To my mouth, the base line Weller and small batch Evan Williams taste pretty similar, and the Weller goes on sale for $13/750 pretty often.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It was always pretty funny to me when people give someone a look or make a snide comment when someone wanted whisky with water or on the rocks and tried to act like drinking it neat was the only possible way a man would ever consume it.

gently caress you dude.

When I'm trying something new at home or a bar I order it neat with a glass of water and a straw and just tip in a bit of water from the straw and sip at a few different dilutions. Gives a nice spectrum of all the flavors in it. Then if I like it after that I'll just get it on the rocks.

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey
At home, I will put in a small ice cube. This means when I have my first sip, it is full strength, you get hit with the full flavour and experience but ever so gradually the ice melts which lightens the flavour, opens it up and makes it easier to enjoy.

I tend not to drink whisky when I am out.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Doesn't neat mean "with water" and straight mean "just whiskey"?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lowness 72 posted:

Doesn't neat mean "with water" and straight mean "just whiskey"?

Neat is "just whiskey" and straight (up) typically means shaken/stirred over ice then strained and served without ice. Note that straight up also applies when talking about cocktails (e.g. the Martini is served straight up)

kirtar fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 30, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was pretty sure up meant in a cocktail glass.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

That Works posted:

It was always pretty funny to me when people give someone a look or make a snide comment when someone wanted whisky with water or on the rocks and tried to act like drinking it neat was the only possible way a man would ever consume it.

gently caress you dude.

When I'm trying something new at home or a bar I order it neat with a glass of water and a straw and just tip in a bit of water from the straw and sip at a few different dilutions. Gives a nice spectrum of all the flavors in it. Then if I like it after that I'll just get it on the rocks.

lol people who judge for this should never be taken seriously.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean I tend to drink everything neat but I drink loving gin and rum neat, at least the first time I try something.

On the topic of the most important American drink, what's the best way to make a whiskey sour? Bourbon, fresh squeezed lemon juice, simple syrup. Ratios?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was pretty sure up meant in a cocktail glass.

Wikipedia posted:

In bartending, the term "straight up" (or "up") refers to an alcoholic drink that is shaken or stirred with ice and then strained and served without ice in a stemmed glass.[1]

This is contrasted with a drink served "neat" – a single, unmixed liquor served without being chilled and without any water, ice, or other mixer.[1][2] Neat drinks are typically served in a rocks glass, shot glass, snifter, or copita.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartending_terminology

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Huh. I had always heard that straight meant a single liquor (straight bourbon whiskey), up was how you ordered a manhattan, and straight up meant you had to figure out what they wanted from context. But looking around a bit, the Kitchn and Morgenthaler both agree with your definition.

Speaking of manhattans, I don't generally drink flavored whiskeys, but Leopold Brothers Apple makes a really good manhattan.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

If you read down a bit in that Wikipedia article, it points out that there's substantial inconsistency in usage.

EDIT to add:
The phrase "straight whiskey" has a legal definition relating to the lack of additional ingredients other than the water for cutting down to bottling proof. "Whiskey, straight" is a different thing, and would be well understood to mean neat whiskey when given as an order at the bar. But when placing that same order, "straight whiskey" could be problematic, and you might not get what you expected (although I think the chances of real confusion are pretty low).

Semantics are so much fun. And I'm not being sarcastic, either. I honestly love these kinds of language quibbles.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 30, 2015

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank

silvergoose posted:

On the topic of the most important American drink, what's the best way to make a whiskey sour? Bourbon, fresh squeezed lemon juice, simple syrup. Ratios?

I like to do:

1 part fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 part simple syrup
2 parts bourbon (been using standard jim beam it actually makes a very nice one)
1 egg white

dry shake (use frother if you have it to get good foam)
add ice, shake until proper dilution
strain into a chilled rocks glass (important to chill glass)
I like to drink it without ice but it would be fine with ice (would probably not shake with ice for quite as long if you want to drink it with ice).

Also, a personal preference is to shake a bit of orange bitters over the top it gives it a super nice smell.

I don't garnish but I guess you could add some fruit too :)

*EDIT* For comparison the Death & CO recipe uses 2 parts buffalo trace to .75 parts simple syrup and .75 parts lemon juice with the same egg technique but suggests angostura bitters to finish it off and an orange crescent / cherry flag for garnish. *EDIT*

Allantois fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 30, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Is the egg white absolutely necessary, or can I make it without? Not as much worried about contamination, just adds a significant step beyond "squeeze lemon, add stuff, drink", which is "crack egg, separate white, wash hands thoroughly, shake".

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

silvergoose posted:

Is the egg white absolutely necessary, or can I make it without? Not as much worried about contamination, just adds a significant step beyond "squeeze lemon, add stuff, drink", which is "crack egg, separate white, wash hands thoroughly, shake".
I'm interested to know this too, or a suitable substitute, because I really dislike eggs and/or wasting yolks.

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank
Well 95% of bars wouldn't serve with egg so no it's not necessary. The reasons I think it is important is because it does give the drink a more refined silky taste plus it's a good pillow for bitters to sit without getting mixed in the drink. Such that you keep smelling the bitters each time you sip

Also they sell pasteurized eggs now so no issue with contamination

Try it sometime but you got to shake like hell if you do to get the good foam.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Inspired by this thread, albeit not being the cocktail thread, just made my first ever mint julep with garden-fresh mint.

I knew there was a reason I picked up a bottle of Maker's on sale, even though I normally don't much care for it.

Great drink for sitting on your front porch on a warm summer's eve.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I just made a whisky sour with egg white. I had to add some store-bought lemon juice because I only had one anemic lemon on hand and I was mixing for 2, and I think I could've made sweeter simple syrup, but it's pretty great and looks so nice :D

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Allantois posted:

I like to do:

1 part fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 part simple syrup
2 parts bourbon (been using standard jim beam it actually makes a very nice one)
1 egg white

dry shake (use frother if you have it to get good foam)
add ice, shake until proper dilution
strain into a chilled rocks glass (important to chill glass)
I like to drink it without ice but it would be fine with ice (would probably not shake with ice for quite as long if you want to drink it with ice).

Also, a personal preference is to shake a bit of orange bitters over the top it gives it a super nice smell.

I don't garnish but I guess you could add some fruit too :)

*EDIT* For comparison the Death & CO recipe uses 2 parts buffalo trace to .75 parts simple syrup and .75 parts lemon juice with the same egg technique but suggests angostura bitters to finish it off and an orange crescent / cherry flag for garnish. *EDIT*

I do 3/2/1 bourbon/lemon juice/simple syrup, and angostura instead of orange, but any whiskey sour is automatically made significantly better by the egg white.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

is the egg white an original ingredient or is that something you guys made up but works well?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

spankmeister posted:

is the egg white an original ingredient or is that something you guys made up but works well?

It's been used for a long time, and the IBA lists it as optional.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Further to this I found something on Serious Eats which tackles the issue of egg white substitution. The most straightforward and authentic substitute seems to be powdered egg white:

quote:

The standard starting with 2 teaspoons of powder and 2 tablespoons water per egg white. Combine the powder and water in warm (not hot) water. A fork or immersion blender helps. Egg white powder is also sold as albumin powder.

It has the added benefit of non-contamination, and you can scale the powder-water ratio to suit your foamy tastes. Might also help if you were making a large number of cocktails for guests.

I might try it sometime as it will might not trigger my egg-ick factor that way.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

what the hell are you people scared of? Salmonella? It's such a tiny risk and even then it just sucks for the average adult. It only kills small children and the elderly.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

spankmeister posted:

what the hell are you people scared of? Salmonella? It's such a tiny risk and even then it just sucks for the average adult. It only kills small children and the elderly.

You didn't read my post, then. "I don't really care about the contamination, just adds an extra annoying step or two"

Afraid indeed.

Anyway, I'll probably try making it without and then with when I feel up for it. Is EW black too sweet for a whiskey sour or is it a reasonable base?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Allantois posted:

I tried this a while back and it was far too sweet and kind of bland for my tastes. Personally, I'd dial back the simple to .5 and incorporate at least some bitters before shaking.

You might try them with Irish whiskey in place of bourbon -- Redbreast is fantastic for this, but even plain old Jameson's does the job.

Wachter fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 31, 2015

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

So the resort insisted on us buying through them, so we gave them a list and they're claiming to have/or committing to find enough of both Weller 12 and OWA 107.

The lineup is:

Willett Pot Still Reserve (Emphasizing the awesome mouthfeel and chewiness)
Weller 12 Buffalo Trace
OWA 107
Corsair Triple Smoke (Tons to say about different flavor influences here)

If anyone has specific thoughts/resources on the Weller 12 and OWA, would love to hear.

So apparently, you can't get weller 12 in NJ. who knew? We substituted Buffalo Trace last minute.

Buffalo Trace -- Probably the smoothest of the group neat and the favorite among many.
OWA 107 -- I think people were surprised by the higher proof bite, but once diluted it worked better. I enjoyed it a lot more than most people -- oddly the loser of the crowd, I don't think anyone declared it their favorite.
Willett -- Mouthfeel on par with Van Winkle 12 and Pappy -- and just a hint of rye spiciness that works so well.
Corsair Triple Smoke -- I've waxed poetic about it before. -- Very american in sweetness/overall character, but you get a scotch style peat and a mild smoke. Think black bottle + some nice sweet-ish bourbon.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Is Templeton Rye worth trying at what amounts to $41 USD if I'm pretty content with Rittenhouse at roughly $32 USD?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

My favorite weekend of the year.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Jesus, wrong thread, sorry.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 31, 2015

Meowenstein
Aug 5, 2013

Kenny Logins posted:

Is Templeton Rye worth trying at what amounts to $41 USD if I'm pretty content with Rittenhouse at roughly $32 USD?

Not really. It's just MGP rye. If you want something similar for less money then maybe try George Dickel Rye or Bulleit Rye.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Meowenstein posted:

Not really. It's just MGP rye. If you want something similar for less money then maybe try George Dickel Rye or Bulleit Rye.
There's also the bit where Templeton marketed themselves as a small batch Iowa whiskey distiller with prohibition-era mystique and they're now on the hook to pay $2.5million in compensation to customers due to it being a complete fabrication. (fake stills, rebranded barrels, false and misleading labels, etc)

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2015/07/templeton-rye-is-still-lying.html

Amusingly, their claim of being a "small batch rye produced in Iowa to a prohibition recipe" amounts to mixing undisclosed flavoring additives into the stock MGP whiskey before bottling.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nill posted:

There's also the bit where Templeton marketed themselves as a small batch Iowa whiskey distiller with prohibition-era mystique and they're now on the hook to pay $2.5million in compensation to customers due to it being a complete fabrication. (fake stills, rebranded barrels, false and misleading labels, etc)

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2015/07/templeton-rye-is-still-lying.html

Amusingly, their claim of being a "small batch rye produced in Iowa to a prohibition recipe" amounts to mixing undisclosed flavoring additives into the stock MGP whiskey before bottling.

Also it just plain isn't that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Picked up a bottle of Akashi White Oak whiskey at the duty free for 30 bucks (I probably overpaid).

I've had a naive otaku notion that the Japanese can do no wrong when it comes to whisky.

Well Akashi throws that notion right out the window.

-Utterly one-dimensional, weak bland nose, weak bland on the palate. A diluted experience. Really half assed, if easy to drink.

I only get to choose one bottle at the cornucopia that is HKIA duty free and I made a mistake with this.
I think I'm offended.