Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Did any of them take a run at your guys tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Back to thunder dome

:stare:

What in the loving gently caress is wrong with you guys out there?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

I'm going to need a clear and concise definition of "take a run," sorry.

Duke Chin posted:

:stare:

What in the loving gently caress is wrong with you guys out there?

This team is always a bunch of douchers. I'll pivot table and pie chart the per-team penalty minutes tomorrow. It's pretty comical.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The refs in our no-check league will usually call interference if the first hit is a legal check or unintentional. Past that, you'll get tossed if you try and lay in hard hits to run somebody.

It's D league for beginners and a lot of people bump into each other by merit of their skating inexperience, so we usually don't get too many checking calls. We did have a guy run our goalie during a shootout one night and I think he got suspended two games for that poo poo.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hz, always raising the bar (then using it to defend HIS GIRLFRIEND)

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I'm going to need a clear and concise definition of "take a run," sorry.

Well according to Cherry et al. in the scholarly piece Rock 'Em Sock 'Em 6 we can clearly see it's entrance into the common lexicon of the

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I stick checked a guy and he fell because he was using the stick to balance and I got called for tripping

I woke up the next day wanting to MURDER THAT REFEREES FAMILY

Nah I'm just kidding I sat in the box for two minutes and thought about food

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
There is a guy who is a notoriously bad skater in my league. Well he's fast but can't loving stop to save his life. One game against us he went balls first into the post because he couldn't stop. Anyway, I got called on a trip on him when I was about a stride back from him and he tripped over his own feet. It was funny because he got all pissed thinking I tripped him.

I've noticed the people who bitch the most about contact are the ones who never played in a check league before. Contact is probably the most natural thing about hockey.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
You just know those Thunder Dome guys have to be printing out those penalty stats for some sort of bet at the end of the season.

doctor 7 posted:

"..try to take a run.." you mean

calandryll posted:

I've noticed the people who bitch the most about contact are the ones who never played in a check league before. Contact is probably the most natural thing about hockey.

aka everyone that started as an adult, aka everyone under silver-level

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

communist kangaroo posted:

Nah I'm just kidding I sat in the box for two minutes and thought about food

one time in bantams or midgets i ate popcorn that someone gave me in the penalty box and then had to skate/run until i threw it up after the game, now i don't think about food in the penalty box anymore

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

sellouts posted:

one time in bantams or midgets i ate popcorn that someone gave me in the penalty box and then had to skate/run until i threw it up after the game, now i don't think about food in the penalty box anymore

was it in punishment for eating the popcorn? child abuse is a great nutritional instructor :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

10-team league, 25% of the total league-wide penalty minutes for this team.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

God drat they are indeed something special. Has the head of the league had a sit down with them or something?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:lol:

There is 0% chance of that ever happening. As long as they get their money at the beginning of the season, they don't care.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Understandable in some ways

Who wants to deal with grown men who play like tough guys without the ability and who act like children?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

was it in punishment for eating the popcorn? child abuse is a great nutritional instructor :(

Yeah that coach sucks. One of the girls I coached took a lot of penalties and literally hid a coloring book and crayons in the penalty box before a game. A different kid got a penalty and I looked over at her using the coloring book and couldn't stop laughing.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Aaaaand we've exceeded peak Try-Hard.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
HZ you should print a couple pages of that and anonymously tape them up around the rink, make sure you get above the urinals.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Speaking of try-harding, are you generally allowed to pin the puck against the boards or no? We were killing a late-game penalty to hold on to a lead last night (4-0 but it was going to be our goalie's first shutout so I didn't want to ease up) and I got the puck in the in the offensive zone. I was't really in a good positioning to do anything and I had two guys coming at me so I just pinned it with my stick against the boards to kill time, the ref said next time it would be a delay of game. I swear I've seen guys do this in the NHL and we used to do it all the time in ball hockey but maybe it's different when someone isn't allowed to bump me off of it? Is that a real rule or just another one of my rookie league's made up rules?

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

prom candy posted:

Speaking of try-harding, are you generally allowed to pin the puck against the boards or no? We were killing a late-game penalty to hold on to a lead last night (4-0 but it was going to be our goalie's first shutout so I didn't want to ease up) and I got the puck in the in the offensive zone. I was't really in a good positioning to do anything and I had two guys coming at me so I just pinned it with my stick against the boards to kill time, the ref said next time it would be a delay of game. I swear I've seen guys do this in the NHL and we used to do it all the time in ball hockey but maybe it's different when someone isn't allowed to bump me off of it? Is that a real rule or just another one of my rookie league's made up rules?

USA Hockey Rulebook posted:

Rule 610 | Delaying the Game
(a) A minor penalty shall be assessed to any player or goalkeeper who deliberately freezes the puck along the boards or goal frame for the purpose of delaying the game.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Nitramster posted:

HZ you should print a couple pages of that and anonymously tape them up around the rink, make sure you get above the urinals.

Laminate and put it IN the urinals.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

prom candy posted:

USA Hockey rules are different than the NHL. In the NHL it's legit but in Hockey USA or whatever it is, their rule book does specifically mention that while this can be done you need to be making an effort to play the puck. So you can pin it to the boards to avoid losing it but then you have to make an effort to get out of the pin, obviously while maintaining possession. So basically you can't pin it and then fight to keep it pinned but can pin it for a small time to stop losing it initially but then have to go about trying to win the board battle.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

So, our league normally has 5 divisions, but for summer, they are split between 3 divisions

Division 1: 5 Teams from the top 3 divisions
Division 2: 2 teams from the 4th division
Division 3: 3 teams from the 5th division

My team is at the bottom of the 3rd division, and we played a team of players from one division above us. The easily way better than us in every way. It is going to be entirely one-sided all night. So, our goalie was a bit late to the game, and was still getting ready at game time, and the ref continued to blow the whistle for us to start, so we started without a goalie and had 6 skaters. Here is how the opening sequence went:

They win the faceoff to their left winger, he skates over the blue line and fires a slapshot at the wide open net. Goal, 5 seconds in. Well then.

That was the only goal they scored without us having a goalie, and when one of their guys saw that our goalie was ready he was nice enough to give me the puck to ice so that our goalie could come into the game.

We lost 13-3, and they had 54 shots on goal.

Fun stuff.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

doctor 7 posted:

USA Hockey rules are different than the NHL. In the NHL it's legit but in Hockey USA or whatever it is, their rule book does specifically mention that while this can be done you need to be making an effort to play the puck. So you can pin it to the boards to avoid losing it but then you have to make an effort to get out of the pin, obviously while maintaining possession. So basically you can't pin it and then fight to keep it pinned but can pin it for a small time to stop losing it initially but then have to go about trying to win the board battle.

That seems fair enough, thanks. I think my league uses modified Hockey Canada rules but they probably have something similar.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Another difference I didn't know for a long time was that USA Hockey does not issue a penalty for a player throwing the puck over the glass from his own end. Faceoff locations are also very different from the NHL, and don't always happen at a dot.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

bgreman posted:

Another difference I didn't know for a long time was that USA Hockey does not issue a penalty for a player throwing the puck over the glass from his own end. Faceoff locations are also very different from the NHL, and don't always happen at a dot.

I always found that poo poo to be a stupid penalty, especially in the playoffs. You get players doing some beyond borderline poo poo that gets let go but a guy misjudges a clear by 1' or something and gets 2 minutes.

I get the reasoning behind the penalty but it's just too severe. Make it a no-shift change face off like icing or something.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

doctor 7 posted:

Make it a no-shift change face off like icing or something.

Speaking of, does anyone play in a league that doesn't let you change on an icing? I'm fairly sure that's an NHL-only thing as well. Goals off of faceoffs are rare enough in my beer leagues that icing the puck is a legit way to ease pressure on your guys if you get trapped in your own end. There's still a stigma against it though; people hate doing it, even if they're dying and can't break the puck out.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Some goons in the past have mentioned those leagues exist but they're mostly for the upper end of the skill levels and in busy locations where the officials are good enough to manage that sort of thing.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Chemmy posted:

Yeah that coach sucks. One of the girls I coached took a lot of penalties and literally hid a coloring book and crayons in the penalty box before a game. A different kid got a penalty and I looked over at her using the coloring book and couldn't stop laughing.

This is the best. I'm going to hide a coloring book in the box and see who uses it...
...or await the league commissioner's email about coloring books in the box.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bradf0rd posted:

This is the best. I'm going to hide a coloring book in the box and see who uses it...

While we will not outright ban coloring books and crayons in the box, anyone found to be drawing outside the lines will be assessed an additional 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike, or a 5 minute major at the referee's discretion.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

Molson Twins will take the Frozen Coloring Book.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

no one else knows who that is

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i was being a dick about it but yeah, back then no one thought of it. today it'd be a problem

i also puked a lot from working out when i was a kid because i didn't care when/what i ate in regards to working out/playing hockey

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the heck, I go on vacation and this turns into a 40 post a day thread?

I see how it is. :mad:

Also I wish I had brought my skates.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
GBS is pretending they play hockey http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733925

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

sellouts posted:

i was being a dick about it but yeah, back then no one thought of it. today it'd be a problem

i also puked a lot from working out when i was a kid because i didn't care when/what i ate in regards to working out/playing hockey

i'm always afraid to eat anything hours before games because i'm an anxious baby and i just assume i'll have to take a poo poo during the game and that'd make me pretty sad

after the games i go and make terrible food choices and wreck my insides in celebration (win or lose)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been eating a big meal like six hours before the game and then a smaller meal two hours before the game and I feel like I've got legs for days, so thanks whoever posted that.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

prom candy posted:

I've been eating a big meal like six hours before the game and then a smaller meal two hours before the game and I feel like I've got legs for days, so thanks whoever posted that.

Unintentionally that's what I've been doing for a good couple weeks now, too, and I felt loving great last game :toot: The only games I felt super lovely in have all been from sleep dep, hungover, or jet lagged.

Now if only I'd ever do like cardio or anything else outside of skating. :v:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Habibi posted:

Aaaaand we've exceeded peak Try-Hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Wooo first hat-trick in a game that counts.