Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man its cool that we got two LPs of two of the best PS2 games going at the same time with the same people btw. Now all someone has to do is a Sly Cooper 2 LP. :v:

Though I can think of 2 PS2 series that have been forgotten even though they were almost as good as R&C, Sly, and Jak; poor Ty the Tasmanian Tiger and Destroy All Humans :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Man its cool that we got two LPs of two of the best PS2 games going at the same time with the same people btw. Now all someone has to do is a Sly Cooper 2 LP. :v:

Though I can think of 2 PS2 series that have been forgotten even though they were almost as good as R&C, Sly, and Jak; poor Ty the Tasmanian Tiger and Destroy All Humans :smith:

Somebody was just doing a Ty LP a while ago, actually. Search the master list

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

achillesforever6 posted:

Now all someone has to do is a Sly Cooper 2 LP. :v:

FUN FACT I had never played a Sly Cooper game until a month ago. I then got the platinum in Sly 1.

I really should start working on Sly 2.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I only rented Ratchet: Deadlocked for a weekend and blew through it on Co-op before returning it. I thought it was meh overall, the commentary over everything you do in the game was the best part. (Only for it to be pretty much copied into Mad World, another okay game.) Size Matters came with my PSP when I didn't want it, gently caress that game.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I guess I enjoyed Deadlocked since the day I bought it I sat down and beat it in like 10 hours.

As for the other Ratchet games, UYA is the one I enjoyed the most, but Going Commando is the one I played the most (I had a save file that was up to NG+15 if I remember correctly). Also Nefarious is by far the better villain.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

Somebody was just doing a Ty LP a while ago, actually. Search the master list
Oh thanks :)

Something that doesn't get brought up a lot in the R&C games is just how good the music is in these games

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The Ty LP is currently in limbo unfortunately, Carlioo did do a Sly 2 LP that was recently archived.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

SorataYuy posted:

Size Matters (PSP) and Deadlocked (PS2). Both are bad games, SM less than D, however.
Don't badmouth the :dong:, it's p. good and it has co-op

BreakTargets
Apr 5, 2009

Just a random Spiral Knight...
Yes, my favorite game in the entire series. I also liked the multiplayer, back when people played it.

Speaking of which, I've been waiting the entirety of the last thread for the multiplayer videos to go up.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I'll have a voting situation for the ship tomorrow. I have a 4 video backlog so I've actually unlocked more colors than what I showed off in the video. You should still vote for purple though.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Great Joe posted:

Don't badmouth the :dong:, it's p. good and it has co-op

...I play games so I don't have to interact with other people, this way there are less bodies strewn around. Co-op can go right to loving hell.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Deadlocked is very fun and has tons of replay value if you have a friend who wants to sit through it with you. Solo I imagine it gets pretty dull pretty fast. It's not exactly repetitive, but the levels don't do a lot and they can feel empty at times.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

kalonZombie posted:

I like this better than Jak 2 but yes A Crack In Time is the best Ratchet game.

I actually consider Jak 2 to be the best game on the PS2.

This is pretty drat close though.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

SorataYuy posted:

...I play games so I don't have to interact with other people, this way there are less bodies strewn around. Co-op can go right to loving hell.

Oh, great. Yahtzee's loving back.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Deadlocked is very fun and has tons of replay value if you have a friend who wants to sit through it with you. Solo I imagine it gets pretty dull pretty fast. It's not exactly repetitive, but the levels don't do a lot and they can feel empty at times.
Seriously play it on Exterminator (5 star) difficulty. It feels empty because it's too easy, and while there are tons of enemies and a lot happening you can just kill them really fast, especially with things like the Scorpion Flail. But Exterminator makes the enemies live longer, and you die in 2-4 hits, so you have to be way more aware of what's happening. You're moving a lot more, trying to draw enemies to you, and you realize how chaotic the game can be when a shot comes from off-screen and takes away half your health.

It's way more fun. First boss sucks, though, since he has too much health and your weapons can't really deal with it yet. Get past that and it's fantastic, although the last part of the game is still way too easy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I love this game. I love it, it's amazing, I've beaten it a billion times, I got wrapped up in everything about it. Oh yeah and Mike Stout (Designer) has a lets play out on it with Tony Garcia serving as his co-commentator. I believe they've done all the ratchet games in fact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF2Qzi3GTq4

EDIT: When they're discussing the final bosses, they start talking about Chairman Drek and Mike Stout just goes "We were very adamant that Drek was dead. Someone would come along and say 'Oh what if we brought Drek back?' And we'd say 'NO! Drek is Dead!' 'But what if someone builds a machine to ressurect him?' 'No! Drek is Dead!' I will be surprised if Drek ever comes back given how adamant we were he stay dead."

If you want one of the designers views on one of Insomniacs best games, give them a watch.

EDIT2: In the first video they mention that the reason for the Falling into a swarm of slowly moving missiles basically happened because someone wanted to see what it looked like falling from that high. And in dev, it was set to "Ride of the Valkyries" but they couldn't get music rights or something.

When talking about Florana, they mention when they developed the Phoenix tools they would use to work on the series, there were things that were harsh to learn because they were new tools, like how closing it with the red corner X wouldn't save anything, so I think Tony is telling the story and then the only other person with the tool basically just goes "What. I've been doing that all day! I've lost an entire days work!"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 30, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Hey guys! Sorry this wasn't up sooner, but SGDQ has been stealing my free time. Luckily there's a HUGE lull in games I'm interested in, so now it's time for PIMP MY RIDE: ARSENAL EDITION EPISODE 1.

Colors

Noses

Wings

One vote per category per person. I'll also be making my own, hidden votes. Votes will close Noon EST on August 5th, so just about 6 days from now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Obani Orange
Scoop Nose
Heavy Ordinance Wings

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Black Hole
Scoop Nose
high lift wings

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Black Hole
Standard Nose
High Lift Wings

By the way, can you grab this game in its HD version separately yet or do you have to get the entire R&C collection?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Black Hole
Standard Nose
High Lift Wings

:hf:

Black Hole is seriously my favorite paint job, even better than TigerLombax Stripes

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pulsing Purple
Scoop Nose
Standard Wings

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

By the way, can you grab this game in its HD version separately yet or do you have to get the entire R&C collection?

You can buy it on its own on the PSN store, but it's $15 for the one game and $30 for the collection, so you'd be better off buying the collection. You can, however, download each game separately when you buy the collection.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Pulsing Purple
Scoop Nose
Standard Wings

That ^

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pulsing Purple
Scoop Nose
High Lift Wings

Yeah, this is how I usually pimp it. Sometimes I go split nose.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
I'm gonna go ahead and be that guy and vote:

Amoeboid Green
Scoop Nose
High Lift Wings

Because someone has to vote for the best colour, so it might as well be me.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Crosspeice posted:

Pulsing Purple
Scoop Nose
High Lift Wings

Pulsing purple is the clear color of champions. I'm seconding this vote

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Pulsing Purple
Scoop Nose
High Lift Wings

This

Shame that the jet fighter missions of 2 are gone in UYA :smith:

Onmi posted:

EDIT: When they're discussing the final bosses, they start talking about Chairman Drek and Mike Stout just goes "We were very adamant that Drek was dead. Someone would come along and say 'Oh what if we brought Drek back?' And we'd say 'NO! Drek is Dead!' 'But what if someone builds a machine to ressurect him?' 'No! Drek is Dead!' I will be surprised if Drek ever comes back given how adamant we were he stay dead."
Now he's coming back only this time being voiced by Paul Gimatti, I do hope they keep the gag from the first game with his ever growing list of titles in the movie and remake game.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Now he's coming back only this time being voiced by Paul Gimatti, I do hope they keep the gag from the first game with his ever growing list of titles in the movie and remake game.

Not only that, but Sylvester Stallone is voicing the robot Lieutenant. Did you know his name is Victor Von Ion?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

Shame that the jet fighter missions of 2 are gone in UYA :smith:

From what I remember from the dev commentaries, they had to ditch basically all of the minigames from GC to have enough developer time to make the vidcomics, which were a colossal pain in the rear end and took way longer than anticipated. Evidently making an entire 2D platformer game inside your third-person-shooter game is a poor allocation of resources, who'da thunkit?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Low Rider
Split Nose
Heavy Ordinance

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

From what I remember from the dev commentaries, they had to ditch basically all of the minigames from GC to have enough developer time to make the vidcomics, which were a colossal pain in the rear end and took way longer than anticipated. Evidently making an entire 2D platformer game inside your third-person-shooter game is a poor allocation of resources, who'da thunkit?

It was a complete pain in the rear end they flat out describe it as "We wanted to make Megaman X in Ratchet and Clank." then it cuts to pictures of cupcakes because of negativity before coming back, but they laid out some rules learned from it.

1. It was many new players first experience with a 2D shooter, So as a designer, you're not making for you, you're making for the players.
2. Never give your players what they didn't buy, people brought Ratchet and Clank for Ratchet and Clank. They did not buy Ratchet and Clank for Megaman X.
3. Turns out, building a full fledged game INSIDE a full fledged game is not easy. This was planned as a side project and it wound up with everyone despising.

It's really interesting to listen to them talk.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Sun Storm
Split Nose
Hi-Lift Wings

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012
Obani Orange
Split Nose
Hi-Lift Wings

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Pulsing Purple
Scoop Nose
Heavy Ordinance Wings

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Black Hole
Split Nose
Heavy Ordance Wings

Dr. Buttass posted:

Oh, great. Yahtzee's loving back.

Hey now. Them's fighting words, bub. I have a disdain for humanity in general because I do pizza delivery in a military town. So you can back up on that insult, toot sweet.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Pulsing Purple
Scoop Nose
Heavy Ordinance Wings

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?
Huh, I had completely forgotten that trophies existed in this game, and I've gotten 100% on 1, Going Commando, and Up Your Arsenal. I've even attempted Wrench Ninja runs on all 3. Also, for ship looks...

Pulsing Purple
Split Nose
Hi-Lift Wings

3rd Street Saints REPRESENT!!!

AccidentalHipster fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 30, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

You know, I've never played Going Commando. My experience with 1 was we got it on PS2, and my brother played most of it while I watched. Then we skipped over 2 completely and got Up Your Arsenal. And I just loved it, I loved the Phoenix, I loved the Battlefields, everything feels so bloody alive in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Crosspeice posted:

Pulsing Purple
Scoop Nose
High Lift Wings

This guy knows what's up

• Locked thread