Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Is culture conversion ever worth it? Every time I think about doing it, I see how many diplo points and time it takes and figure it's not worth the effort. Humanism to reduce the threshold seems like the better investment for a heavily multiethnic empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I have a simple question: what is the Good Stuff to build? Usually I would bother mostly with temples and manufactories, but Common Sense is pretty much a new game so I don't know :v: I usually toss workshops in provinces with local goods modifiers and valuable stuff or temples everywhere.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Koramei posted:

Trade companies also give you huge naval force limit increases, which is something I'd imagine Russia has trouble with (I have never actually played Russia for more than like 3 minutes).

^ e: you don't get any money through tariffs :confused: tariffs are only for colonial nations. Monetarily until the very late game it seems kind of pointless (colonizing all that land will cost way more than you'll get for hundreds of years), but there are lots of non-monetary benefits for colonizing.

The only reason I colonize is to paint the map with the greatest color. Mine.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Is culture conversion ever worth it? Every time I think about doing it, I see how many diplo points and time it takes and figure it's not worth the effort. Humanism to reduce the threshold seems like the better investment for a heavily multiethnic empire.

There is only one area worth culture converting and it is the netherlands so they stop spawning 40 rebel stacks

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Lord Hydronium posted:

There are some 15-30 dev provinces that you'll run across as you conquer, typically capitals. Those are worth converting since they're so productive, and building effectiveness is tied to development level. Any province that makes something expensive or is well developed and has traits you can leverage is generally worth converting. Standard 3-12 development stuff is generally not.

quote:

I have a simple question: what is the Good Stuff to build? Usually I would bother mostly with temples and manufactories, but Common Sense is pretty much a new game so I don't know I usually toss workshops in provinces with local goods modifiers and valuable stuff or temples everywhere.

When you get access to temples build them in every .13+ province. As you get more techs:

For provinces that are kinda crappy and don't do much, Barracks / Force Limits buildings are useful.
Provinces in a useful trade node and that are not otherwise productive (basetax isn't high, not producing something valuable) are worth a Marketplace.
Provinces that make valuable goods should get at least a workshop, potentially a manufactory, and then either a temple or marketplace as slots allow or is relevant.
Provinces that are well developed but not specialized - temple + barracks + whatever.

So in general I seem to end up with trade focused provinces, production focused provinces, or general basetax / manpower provinces. Castles are tricky, and I often have to choose between putting a castle in a useful spot or somehow making the province it's in shittier (no workshop or manufactory due to slots, for instance). It's nice having to make that choice.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
What buildings are affected by provincial autonomy? I know temples and workshops are. What about regimental camps? Things that give flat point boosts.

e; also my advice is this - it may seem like a good idea to build forts on mountains and make the enemy take attrition, but that will make attacking them once they get close to taking it a bad decision. It might be a better idea to build it on a regular province with next to no development. That way once the enemy is nearly done sieging you can mop them off the fort. I've lost too many forts by not being able to attack onto them. It might be better to just build it on normal provinces, and if you want the attrition, to burn the province when the enemy nears.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 30, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

40 years of Mamluks. I assume I'm hopelessly screwed because the Ottomans are just too strong to take on and have been the entire time. I've vassalized Byzantine and Karaman. Genoa are so boned the instant they leave the HRE, which they will do because who needs the emperor's protection, right?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Dang, that's a lot of good advice on a Russia game. i was planning on going for the Silk Road achievement and the 1 million manpower one. I was aiming to expand in Europe/the steppes so much so I could have a lot of early game weight to throw around trying to crush down on the Ottomans and hopefully conquer Anatolia. After that I'd create a crescent Syria to block me off from Asia for cheaper coring of Asian provinces. But now I'm thinking maybe grabbing silk provinces from the east and moving west might be a good idea. When I eventually connect Siberia to these silk provinces, the trade companies will be disbanded and I'll have a ton of manpower freed up.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think spamming manufactories might actually be a little too good, although mostly only in nations that can blob up and completely control a trade node or two.

With Russia, for example, it's absurdly good to save up all your money then spam the Weapons Manufactory in the northern trade nodes that you have 100% (or close to) trade power in. You get +.5 income per building directly, and then boost the produced trade value to ridiculous levels that you then collect in Novgorod once it flows down the stream. I forgot to mention it in my Russia spergpost, but that's partly why I like going Exploration second and colonizing as quickly as possible. All those provinces, even if they're lovely, are still at the very least a spot where you can build a manufactory. You throw about ~$10k worth down in one go and 5 years later your income jumps by like 15 ducats a month. Keep investing in manufactories as you colonize and fight easy wars and generally stay out of trouble and when it comes time to do the serious heavy lifting and territory taking you'll be rolling in so much gold you can do whatever the hell you want and actually afford to field that 500k-man army your force limit lets you build.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Poil posted:

40 years of Mamluks. I assume I'm hopelessly screwed because the Ottomans are just too strong to take on and have been the entire time. I've vassalized Byzantine and Karaman. Genoa are so boned the instant they leave the HRE, which they will do because who needs the emperor's protection, right?

That seems like a really good position for the Mamluks though? I don't get what about that picture says "hopelessly screwed." You've even got the ability to fabricate on Constantinople and if you do a bit of pushing into the Georgia/Persian area then the Ottomans will be completely bottled up until Europe gets their poo poo together and starts pushing them out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I build manufacturies in all my provinces because I had like 100k gold and wanted to spend it and now my income is +480 a month and I have even more money. I wish I could hire like level 10 advisors for hundreds of gold a month. But seriously it does feel like the game could "fit" +4 advisors in. Byt the time you're a mid-sized power you're always running +3 advisors but still drowning in ducats while starving for MP. I want more things to spend money on, hopefully things that get me MP, even if it's grossly inefficient.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

VDay posted:

Keep investing in manufactories as you colonize and fight easy wars and generally stay out of trouble and when it comes time to do the serious heavy lifting and territory taking you'll be rolling in so much gold you can do whatever the hell you want and actually afford to field that 500k-man army your force limit lets you build.

Yeah I agree with this general strategy, but I think you are overstating the details. In general making shitloads of money in CS is much easier than it was before due to development and specialization. The flipside is that Russia is very very expensive to keep up to date forts with good coverage, and their money scaling is weird.

Trade focused nations can make 150-200 gold per month without investing all that money into manufactories. Yes if you play your cards right you can get good money as Russia but it's much more work to get the production online. Try playing as PLC and look at your income and how valuable those provinces are, especially if you can beat up Muscovy a bit for the good stuff. Russia also really struggles with getting access to trade for a while, so the production economy needs to be there to offset it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is with people in this thread being obsessed with taking Humanist over Religious as people like the Ottos or Muscovy lol. Yes more accepted cultures is cool. But unless your nation is still very low development or you're a cultural union, there's no point in not just spending dip to convert all those non-accepted provinces. You wouldn't take Humanist as GB just to try and somehow get Welsh and Irish culture accepted.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Larry Parrish posted:

What is with people in this thread being obsessed with taking Humanist over Religious as people like the Ottos or Muscovy lol. Yes more accepted cultures is cool. But unless your nation is still very low development or you're a cultural union, there's no point in not just spending dip to convert all those non-accepted provinces. You wouldn't take Humanist as GB just to try and somehow get Welsh and Irish culture accepted.

Taking humanist as the ottos is great because they already get a lower cultural acceptance threshold from their NI's. If you take enough silk provinces from persia for the bonus, the threshold gets incredibly low. Take the humanist/diplomatic policy as well and every single culture you take provinces from can be easily accepted.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Transmetropolitan posted:

I have a simple question: what is the Good Stuff to build? Usually I would bother mostly with temples and manufactories, but Common Sense is pretty much a new game so I don't know :v: I usually toss workshops in provinces with local goods modifiers and valuable stuff or temples everywhere.

Anything that just straight up makes you more income is prob worth putting in a province where it generates more than ~0.12ish ducats per month eventually, marketplaces are pretty crap except in provinces with trade power bonuses but it will depend on your trade node dynamics. Barracks I put nearly everywhere that isn't 1 manpower and the force limit buildings go in either the super high development farmland provinces or the 1/1/1 iceballs :v:

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

I do it because I'm a big ole' softy wuss who takes his games too seriousl and the poo poo that would entail "converting" a province is some pretty nasty stuff. My tsars are big believers in freedom of religion, man

Does anyone have any suggestions for good Indian/Southeast Asian nations to play? I'm wrapping up my Russian game and getting kinda bored of Europe, want to try out somewhere more exotic

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ParanoidInc posted:

I do it because I'm a big ole' softy wuss who takes his games too seriousl and the poo poo that would entail "converting" a province is some pretty nasty stuff. My tsars are big believers in freedom of religion, man

Does anyone have any suggestions for good Indian/Southeast Asian nations to play? I'm wrapping up my Russian game and getting kinda bored of Europe, want to try out somewhere more exotic

You're a crazy person.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

That seems like a really good position for the Mamluks though? I don't get what about that picture says "hopelessly screwed." You've even got the ability to fabricate on Constantinople and if you do a bit of pushing into the Georgia/Persian area then the Ottomans will be completely bottled up until Europe gets their poo poo together and starts pushing them out.
They have a lot bigger army, more manpower, more money, better troops, much better generals, higher military tech and janissaries. I don't think I've ever seen the Ottoman get pushed back unless they collapse early. Of course I'm still going to try to take them on eventually but it's probably more likely that they'll swallow up Hungary and keep growing stronger.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I build manufacturies in all my provinces because I had like 100k gold and wanted to spend it and now my income is +480 a month and I have even more money. I wish I could hire like level 10 advisors for hundreds of gold a month. But seriously it does feel like the game could "fit" +4 advisors in. Byt the time you're a mid-sized power you're always running +3 advisors but still drowning in ducats while starving for MP. I want more things to spend money on, hopefully things that get me MP, even if it's grossly inefficient.

I'd want some way to not get a bunch of +4 advisors in my list of potential advisors when I'm still barely affording three +1 advisors. I have that problem with +3 advisors often enough as is.

Poil posted:

They have a lot bigger army, more manpower, more money, better troops, much better generals, higher military tech and janissaries. I don't think I've ever seen the Ottoman get pushed back unless they collapse early. Of course I'm still going to try to take them on eventually but it's probably more likely that they'll swallow up Hungary and keep growing stronger.

There are Christian nations out there who hate the Ottomans for being the Ottomans more than they hate you for being Muslim. Try and find an alliance there. Remember your border territory with them is kind of lovely. If you declare war, scorch earth, and retreat they suffer serious attrition. All that military tech won't mean poo poo when they have 0 manpower and their armies are only half full.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

You're a crazy person.

this is correct, but my numbers are more free than your numbers, facist

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Larry Parrish posted:

Humanist is amazing for the Ottomans because they already have a bunch of Cultural Acceptance, Tolerance, and Religious Unity bonuses in their national ideas, plus they start with a 6 ADM monarch. When you combine their National Ideas with Humanist Ideas, you get a nation that literally never needs to care about religion, and almost never needs to care about internal dissent. It's pretty sweet. Bengal is the other nation that almost has to take Humanist, just because of how well it synergizes.

Humanist is much less good for someone like Russia.

ParanoidInc posted:

Bengal is fun, you're an Islamic power with 100% Hindu provinces, but with Humanist ideas, that doesn't matter at all! You can go Bengal Tiger and Silk Road with it pretty easily too if you're into the achievements. The more challenging power is their next door neighbor, Orissa, who is more diplomatically isolate, and has the far more difficult achievement in Foremost Servitor of Jagganath. But both your starting monarch and heir have just killer military stats, which makes it really easy to dominate the neighbourhood if you can survive the first five years.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ParanoidInc posted:

Ayutthaya, Bengal, and Malacca->Malaya were all pretty fun when I played them recently. Lots of little neighboring wars/conflicts/alliances to deal with before you suddenly look up and have to deal with a giant neighbor like Persia or Ming.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Larry Parrish posted:

I think I am the only one who said I would consider Humanist as Russia, and I did not say it would be a good idea. And I am pretty sure like 80% of the posters in this thread think Humanist is great for Ottomans. The thing about accepted cultures is that having a culture accepted is just as effective as having a +2% conversion bonus because a non-accepted culture is 2% harder to convert. -10 Years of Nationalism is huge (33% of it, in fact), -2 RR great when stupid events raise RR nation-wide/stability drops/whatever, -10% idea cost is great, accepted cultures mean more money and manpower. Why would I want to spend 10 diplo points and 1 month PER 1 development? I would rather spend my diplo points on improving my production. Mass culture conversion just seems like a huge waste.

I'm not saying Religious is bad or anything, but I do not understand your dismissive "lol look at these idiots" attitude of "What is with people in this thread being obsessed with taking Humanist over Religious as people like the Ottos or Muscovy lol" when this is a videogame that lets us make that choice? At least give me a reason why I should do religious instead.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 30, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TTBF posted:

There are Christian nations out there who hate the Ottomans for being the Ottomans more than they hate you for being Muslim. Try and find an alliance there. Remember your border territory with them is kind of lovely. If you declare war, scorch earth, and retreat they suffer serious attrition. All that military tech won't mean poo poo when they have 0 manpower and their armies are only half full.
I should be able to ally Poland, if they can actually get their crap together to be useful it would help a ton. Everyone else big enough is so cranky about distance and other modifiers. But I had somehow forgotten about scorching, so thank you for that. :)

In an amazing and completely unusual twist Austria lost the emperor position to Bohemia. :shepface:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Larry Parrish posted:

Humanist does so much for your internal stability though, even ignoring accepted cultures. Between the tolerance, unity bonus and RR reduction, it will generally match a Religious player in terms of unrest after religious conversion, as well as the reduction in Separatism often letting you completely ignore revolt risk in even newly conquered offculture/wrong religion provinces. When it comes to grabbing huge swathes of wrong religion land, Humanist is far, far better than religious. The disadvantage is the lack of CB and being weaker in the early game. Mid game onwards, Humanist will start outpacing religious for internal stability at a rapid pace. If I'm in an area where the CB will give me a lot of value, I'll pretty much always grab religious. If I'm not, then I'll grab humanist over it. A big thing to note is bonus tolerance from NI's and religion as that has a large effect on how I value Humanist and Religious. Bonus heathen/heretic tolerance makes me value humanist higher, bonus true faith tolerance beyond +1 will make me prioritize religious. Also if I'm a religion with significant province bonuses (such as Tengri or full patriarchy Orthodox) I will value Religious higher.

As to culture conversions, if I have spare diplo points, I will integrate a vassal. I can count the amount of times I've culturally converted a province on two hands.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

At least give me a reason why I should do religious instead.

Deus Vult! :catholic:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ok, lets pretend I didn't take Antwerpen instead of Holland for the Sunset Invasion and move on.

I haven't yet played a new version Protestant so I guess that could be next. Or maybe I'll do France since they have been such bros in my last game. Is going Protestant as France still kind of a waste like it was a billion versions ago? Alternatively I could try new and improved Italy. Suggestions?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ParanoidInc posted:

I play probably 80%+ of my games in Persia or SEA so here's an excessively long effortlist of countries:

India:

Nepal - Hindu. Hard start, godawful ruler + heir, good NIs, though somewhat backloaded other than the forcelimits which you're too poor to take good advantage of anyway :v:

Delhi - Sunni. Probably the strongest country in India if not played by the AI, if you reconquer your cores you are already OP as gently caress, most of your provinces are 20+ development. Also very easy to form Mughals with if you don't mind cheesy culture changes.

Orissa - Hindu. Great ruler and heir but your starting position sucks balls and I don't think I have seen a single time that Bengal didn't declare on them early. Also their NIs are a bit poo poo and they have some bad DHEs to do with civil war or something I never really played as them. They used to be a lot stronger but the start setup got changed and they lost a bunch of provinces to a new independent state, which they get a mission to conquer, but again, Bengal will stab you in the rear end.

Bengal - Sunni. Rich as gently caress from trade on day 1 without you having to do anything, no real rivals either

Jaunpur - Sunni. Probably the best NI set in India other than Nepal, interesting starting position where Delhi, Bengal and Malwa all don't like you very much. More powerful than many other starts but with a more difficult diplomatic situation.

Mewar - Hindu. Good starting ruler and you have a gold mine so you're stronger than your provinces suggest, but frequently gets gangbanged as surrounded by angry Muslims. Most of the surrounding provinces have increased coring cost because Wiz personally hates you.

Malwa - Sunni. Start out with 2 vassals but a relatively weak core of owned provinces. Really bad diplomatic situation as they are usually at odds with all of their stronger neighbours and have few opportunities for expansion.

Gujarat - Shia. Own some good provinces but their trade node is generally weaker than most of the others in India, so even with their trade-focused NIs they're not ultra rich like Bengal etc.

Bahmanis - Shia. Have a gold mine and are generally big and powerful from the start, Vijayanagar is a potential threat but if you beat them once and take your cores back they're dead. NIs are pretty solid, better than the generic "Indian Sultanate" ones.

Vijayanagar - By far the easiest start as a Hindu country, they have some bad events in the first 50-100 years but you can diplo vassal your way through the minor Hindu states to your West and beat the Bahmanis to death when they get into some dumb war up north at which point you're going to be huge already, form Baharat and basically win the game.

Ceylon - Buddhist but Buddhism is basically broken so don't play them (see below)

There's a slight 'problem' in India where there aren't very many starts which are both challenging and fun to play, the major powers generally have a very easy time and will quickly become the sole dominant power in India with just a few good wars, wheras the minors have to sit back and wait for opportunities and things can easily get really hosed up without you even making any mistakes (see: Orissa annexed by a Bengal-Bahmanis-Vijayanagar gangbang). Nepal is my personal choice of most interesting minor power; due to their position they can choose to jump on any of the 3 major North Indian Sunni powers and can even make alliances with one against the others if you're lucky with rivals etc.

Indochina:

There's a whole load of Buddhist states here but since Buddhism is kind of terrible you shouldn't play as them! Unless you intentionally pay 100s of diplo points and using tons of warscore to release states and return cores etc. you will always have bad Karma which means -10% discipline which is an awful handicap; I'm assuming that this is going to get fixed next patch so that there are ways to make good karma that don't revolve around either RNG or intentionally gimping yourself.

If you insist on playing a Buddhist state anyway there's a lot of strong, interesting NI sets in this part of the world and most of the obvious major powers are fun to play. Not much to say on strategy as it's just a case of dominating the region; Ayutthaya (province) is key due to its insane wealth and trade bonus. Special note to Khmer as they have a Hindu majority on day 1, you can convert by submitting to Hindu rebels to avoid the crappy Buddhist mechanics and get the much more fun and mechanically useful Hindu stuff!

Malaya etc:

Again there's quite a few different states here but not that much to choose between them, the NI sets are all very samey with bonuses to trade and navies with a side of religious stuff. Pasai is probably the easiest start as they start out strong and can quickly conquer the gold province to their south and use the extra income advantage from that to beat the rear end out of their neighbours and have a big enough navy that nobody will gently caress with them. The general strategy with these guys is to go full colonial ASAP since the spice islands are valuable and count as full non-overseas provinces.

Makassar is a relatively unusual start due to its good NIs and strong position combined with Animist religion.

There's also Tidore and Ternate maybe? which are isolated OPMs with pretty sick NIs for colonising and trade but their culture group only has 2 provinces and they start out as animist. Probably an interesting game though!

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 30, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Poil posted:

In an amazing and completely unusual twist Austria lost the emperor position to Bohemia. :shepface:

See, I don't understand why people rail against historical railroading, but nobody seems to get upset at stuff like this happening constantly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

There's also Tidore and Ternate maybe? which are isolated OPMs with pretty sick NIs for colonising and trade but their culture group only has 2 provinces and they start out as animist. Probably an interesting game though!
Ternate is a lot of fun once they get started and their NI are really great. :)
It does involve a lot of waiting and being broke beyond belief however. Also you have to do a few no CB wars against the other nearby OPM's to grow enough in the beginning and get to Borneo before it gets eaten up completely by Brunei. Grabbing all of the islands between Malaysia and Africa is quite useful as well.

Stay animeist though!

PittTheElder posted:

See, I don't understand why people rail against historical railroading, but nobody seems to get upset at stuff like this happening constantly.
Oh it's quite annoying to have it happen every single game and Austria are apparently completely incapable of ever getting it back.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
How do you decide, if you need a money-making Idea group, if you choose Economics or Trade, anyway? Obviously if you're a preestablished trade power or colonizer you'd choose trade, but how would you make the choice if you weren't one of those?

For example, I'm Russia, haven't gotten to the point where I start colonizing Siberia, and I cannot afford my an army up to my force limit. So I need one of those idea groups, I'm not sure which one.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Node posted:

How do you decide, if you need a money-making Idea group, if you choose Economics or Trade, anyway? Obviously if you're a preestablished trade power or colonizer you'd choose trade, but how would you make the choice if you weren't one of those?

For example, I'm Russia, haven't gotten to the point where I start colonizing Siberia, and I cannot afford my an army up to my force limit. So I need one of those idea groups, I'm not sure which one.

Pick trade. Economic costs admin points. If all you want out of it is more money, pick trade every time. Economic is picked for a few reasons, mainly inflation reduction, development discounts and policies. If you're not picking it for those reasons, but instead purely for mo money, trade is better. Trade will generally give you much more money and it scales far better into the end game as trade income soars while tax incomes become completely worthless in comparison to trade and production.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

I play probably 80%+ of my games in Persia or SEA so here's an excessively long effortlist of countries:

Great write-up!

Would it be possible to put this in the OP?

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

This is awesome, gonna try out Nepal, thanks!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
I decided to look over at western europe after durdling around in Russia. I notice both Burgundy and France are seemingly intact. Weird I think to myself and check Burgundy.

Whelp

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I've done the ottomans with humanist and with religious and they were both fun, but man did I love the permanent cb on Europe to death...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Religious is better and better the smaller your religion is. With Oman and Mzab, the only two Ibadi nations in the game, it's particularly great. Ibadi isn't as good as Shia of course but if you're doing a naval game as those two (which you should) it's still good. Converting to Orthodox as the Ottos and going Religious is a good way to be able to Holy War CB everyone ever too, except Serbia and Muscvoy and Novogorod.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm having some catholic guilt.

I took rome and formed italy. Some lovely german OPM turned into the papal state. I started to improve relations because I need them papal points, but my diplomat suddenly returned. The papal state was... gone... Oh! There it's back! It's a different german OPM now. Ok good I can start re-building my relations. Nope, now it's gone again. Search comes up with nothing. They still seem to sort of exist as an entity as I can see them listed at the bottom of the papal influence screen, but clicking on them doesn't opens up my own country window and zooms to rome.

Is something bugged or is it possible for the pope to just vanish? If so how do I raise my relations to not cripple my papal influence? Also I wish I could just say gently caress it and install some state-controlled anti-pope in Rome and maybe fight a war over it to have the papacy subordinate to my secular authority.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So Mutapa is actually sorta fun to play as now, they have not-poo poo ideas. They start at like +7 ducats a month thanks to 3(!) gold mines, potentially 4 if you beat Sofala off of Kilwa (easy to do because Kilwa's geography fucks them over as far as reinforcing goes.)

Colonize South Africa uncontested because of the change to the colonization idea sets and get a crap ton of ivory and slaves (which are potential gold mines when you abolish slavery.) Hell, even beat-up the Kongolese states uncontested because Europe takes their sweet time getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
The mp game is starting this Saturday. It isn't too late to get a spot.

There's room for a Switzerland player and one more central German country, and for someone who wants a more leisurely pace for the first few sessions Songhai and Mali are free. The Golden Horde, Kazan or Crimea can be really strong with the right ideas and those are open. Chances are someone won't be able to make it so for anyone who doesn't like what's left this may not be all that's open the day of.

Anyone who wants to find out more info can find it in this link:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730493

We go from 3:00 PM Est to 7:00.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20150801T1445&p0=77&msg=Countdown+Timer&font=serif

For anyone who can't commit to that time every Saturday, you can still join by subbing for players who couldn't make it.

• Locked thread