Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

You are correct, the abandoned doll lets you level up. You have to do a thing first though. You need to die to a boss Surprised you haven't done that yet though.

Haven't found Cleric Beast yet? If you had she should still talk to you even if you have no insight. Maybe you had zero blood echoes at the time? She should still talk to you though.

Oh maybe you have to talk to her once while you have an insight before she will talk to you when you have zero? If so you screwed up haha, but no biggie you'll get another soon. Although then again how would you even lose your insight that early in the game...

What is an insight? I've not met any bosses no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmmyOk posted:

Ah okay that's your problem then, no worries. Take your time exploring.

Insight is Bloodborne's answer to Humanity. Its a currency you get for a few rare activities, mostly meeting and killing bosses. You spend it on special stuff.
Unlike Dark Souls, you don't lose insight when you die, which is really forgiving.

You'll need to get 1 insight before you're allowed to level up. You get it from running into any boss. Once you've gotten the 1 even if you spend it and go to 0 the doll will still let you level up.

If you're in the sewers already, technically you've missed the first boss and you're headed towards the second boss. Lots of people do that though. The first boss is strictly optional, you could always go back later or you could go do it right now.

The fact that you haven't even found it though probably means you should explore around more :)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

EmmyOk posted:

Insight is an extra blood echo-ish stat, it's the number you see at the top right that has been solid zero the whole time.

When you see a boss, you may find yourself yelling "what the gently caress is that thing!?" and your insight goes up. This is not a coincidence.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Also insight has subtle effects on the game. The higher your insight the greater the chance of discovering some... things :getin:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I went back and got some new armour at the Hunter's Dream a while ago, a leather longcoat looking thing and pirate hat. I have never levelled up though. Yeah I was on those beams and chopped down two bodies that had white glowing parts. The rats are tricky because I am in a tight area and they rush in so quickly and then kill me. Also they are a bit of a trek to get to so I don't get to practise on them frequently. Glad to hear I am heading right.

EmmyOk posted:

That area with the brutally tough rats with that little channel in the middle with the boats has an item called Madman's Knowledge. Using that works the same as encountering a boss and will let you level up by talking to the doll like she's Willson.

The reason why you want to upgrade your stats is that no matter what you put your points into- don't put a lot of that into Arcane or Bloodtinge right now btw- is that your defense also gets increased.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

EmmyOk posted:

^^e:fb

If you want a walkthrough that isn't really a walkthrough and won't reveal all the secrets about the game, here's Slowbeef's LP. I would suggest keeping to the first 2 videos until you've beaten the first boss. I'd say that a big part of this game is just getting comfortable with the combat and areas so you don't run into ambushes and know how the game is going to hide items (around corners, off of ledges, etc). Watching someone make mistakes and figuring them out in the beginning won't spoil the game and will just let you learn some game skills.

Since this game is a Lovecraftian nightmare wrapped up in Cthulhu's tentacles and a Japanese man's vision of horror, 'Insight' is you delving into the unknown and forbidden, words that end worlds, or ideas that drive people mad. They change the world in good and bad ways. I wouldn't be too worried about getting too much of it, but it can sometimes make the game harder. But not like you are doing fine and then get 1 shot by normal mobs. Madman's Knowledge are one way you can get insight, but you do get insight from meeting bosses for the first time AND killing them.

Hope you have fun with it, I think the game looks great but I don't have a PS4. :(

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have been exploring no idea how I missed a Boss haha, oops. I feel like they shouldn't make the first Boss missable. Whereabouts is it? I don't mind missing stuff and working stuff out by myself but I'd like to give it a crack. Basically should I go back to the start of the game or from Central Yarnham?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

EmmyOk posted:

I have been exploring no idea how I missed a Boss haha, oops. I feel like they shouldn't make the first Boss missable. Whereabouts is it? I don't mind missing stuff and working stuff out by myself but I'd like to give it a crack. Basically should I go back to the start of the game or from Central Yarnham?

On the bridge with two werewolves, its at the far end from them

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

oldpainless posted:

On the bridge with two werewolves, its at the far end from them

Ok cool thank you! Lucky I went and opened the shortcut first then I guess! I will go find the Bloodborne thread when I get home as I am starting to get addicted to the game!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You can find 2 insights before fighting any boss if you explore enough so dying isn't needed.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

EmmyOk posted:

Ok cool thank you! Lucky I went and opened the shortcut first then I guess! I will go find the Bloodborne thread when I get home as I am starting to get addicted to the game!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Hey if you are playing bloodborne for the first time or aren't used to souls games read the items. Read the descriptions of literally everything. If you find chewed gum read the description it'll have a story about some guy who left it there. If you find chewed gum (mint) read that anyway because even if it looks like the exact same description at a glance I promise you it's different and important. 90% of the plot is in the item descriptions.

Madman's knowledge is literally the skull of a guy who saw some poo poo. He saw some poo poo and his head, literally, exploded. You're chomping down on an insane person's shattered skull skull and now you're insane too. As insane as seeing a 50 foot tall beast vault over a building and challenge you to fisticuffs.

I don't think this deserves to be spoilered, it was general as hell and goes no farther than the first boss, but it's your gaming experience so feel free to ignore this tantalizing black bar of secrets.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Jul 30, 2015

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

EmmyOk posted:

The boss they're talking about is entirely optional. All you get from it is the insight, blood echoes, and a weapon shows up in the messenger bath store. However it is one you should at least encounter for the sake of being able to level up asap

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
God Bloodborne is freaking cool. I should replay that some time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

And one really big tip for the future: If you feel squeamish about continuing because you've got 6/7/9/10 thousand echoes on you, don't be afraid to call it a run and use a Bold Hunter's Mark to warp yourself back to the Hunter's Dream so you can level up. Never feel bad about saying 'I'm so spooked right now, I'm gonna just go cash this stuff in right now because otherwise I'm gonna die, lose it, and be angry at myself for not doing so.'

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

RareAcumen posted:

And one really big tip for the future: If you feel squeamish about continuing because you've got 6/7/9/10 thousand echoes on you, don't be afraid to call it a run and use a Bold Hunter's Mark to warp yourself back to the Hunter's Dream so you can level up. Never feel bad about saying 'I'm so spooked right now, I'm gonna just go cash this stuff in right now because otherwise I'm gonna die, lose it, and be angry at myself for not doing so.'

And if you want to chance it and get murdered into a fine paste, do that too! Mobs don't despawn in Bloodborne so you can farm them back!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

While I do like Suikoden Tactics, it has one massive problem that bogs it down. Because magic runes can only be used by mages, characters that had previously been decent at attacking normally & magic in IV are thrown to the wayside since they aren't as strong as pure fighters and don't have utility so they can't be given a rune to provide some extra damage or healing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Crafting in The Witcher 3 was dumb as hell. If you picked up all the crafting items you came across you'd never not have the ingredients to craft any recipe you found. The problem with this is that every time you open your inventory you're confronted with a massive whirlwind of garbage.

I don't understand why "crafting" has become such a popular concept for games. If you're playing a crafting-centric game like Terarria or Dwarf Fortress or something it makes sense, that iron ore you just found could become anything! But it games like The Witcher 3, especially when you have to find recipes to craft anything, all it does is add an extra step(s) between finding loot and using loot.

Alchemy has more justification due to the setting and it being a consumable.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Crafting is good in games with a multiplayer economy or a game where you have to deal with limited resources or time, like a rogue like.

Same deal with random drops. Rare, random drops in a single player game suck because they make you feel like you have to farm them.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature
Hey, speaking of Bloodborne:

gently caress you Micolash.
gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you.
Sincerely,
gently caress you

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mildly Amusing posted:

Hey, speaking of Bloodborne:

gently caress you Micolash.
gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you.
Sincerely,
gently caress you

What does that mean, please and thank you.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Lizard Wizard posted:

http://everdraed.net/SA/fuckyou/FUCKYOU.swf?v=nkK0-YgQqTA

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Some say kos, and some say Kosm.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Some say kos, and some say Kosm.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hahaha. Its a big spoiler for bloodborne, but here: Micolash was a dude in bloodborne who took part in a bunch of lovecraftian poo poo and went insane and dreamt up a nightmare realm which birthed an elder god... its all very :cthulhu: he's also a boss in bloodborne and he's kinda annoying because he just plays hide and go seek with you for like ten minutes before he even lets you fight him properly. I didn't have too much trouble with him but I could see some people getting annoyed. He also uses some bullshit magic attacks.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Ignore Zaphod, he says correct things stupidly. Micolash is a boss who is pretty easy to fight, but makes you chase him multiple times through a big rear end maze, and the entire time he will NOT SHUT UP

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

Ignore Zaphod, he says correct things stupidly.

Oh man that really drags down other threads for me. I hate when people make answers overwrought and drawn out when they can be easily summed up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

Ignore Zaphod, he says correct things stupidly. Micolash is a boss who is pretty easy to fight, but makes you chase him multiple times through a big rear end maze, and the entire time he will NOT SHUT UP

Don't forget how he has respawning minions who don't give you any blood echoes for killing them.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Crafting in The Witcher 3 was dumb as hell. If you picked up all the crafting items you came across you'd never not have the ingredients to craft any recipe you found. The problem with this is that every time you open your inventory you're confronted with a massive whirlwind of garbage.

I don't understand why "crafting" has become such a popular concept for games. If you're playing a crafting-centric game like Terarria or Dwarf Fortress or something it makes sense, that iron ore you just found could become anything! But it games like The Witcher 3, especially when you have to find recipes to craft anything, all it does is add an extra step(s) between finding loot and using loot.

Alchemy has more justification due to the setting and it being a consumable.

I like crafting because it lets me play fashion with my pretty princess witcher.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Mazerunner posted:

Everything he says is gold and I want to ask him follow up questions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mazerunner posted:

AWOOOOOOOOOOOOO

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

grant us eyes, grant us eyes

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Krinkle posted:

Everything he says is gold and I want to ask him follow up questions.

If you ask, I'm sure Zaphod will answer.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I want to ask micolash to talk more about eyes and his relationship with rom and his job at the college and all these things I don't think zaphod knows any more about this than I do.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Krinkle posted:

Hey if you are playing bloodborne for the first time or aren't used to souls games read the items. Read the descriptions of literally everything. If you find chewed gum read the description it'll have a story about some guy who left it there. If you find chewed gum (mint) read that anyway because even if it looks like the exact same description at a glance I promise you it's different and important. 90% of the plot is in the item descriptions.

Madman's knowledge is literally the skull of a guy who saw some poo poo. He saw some poo poo and his head, literally, exploded. You're chomping down on an insane person's shattered skull skull and now you're insane too. As insane as seeing a 50 foot tall beast vault over a building and challenge you to fisticuffs.

I don't think this deserves to be spoilered, it was general as hell and goes no farther than the first boss, but it's your gaming experience so feel free to ignore this tantalizing black bar of secrets.

Oh you minx of course I read that! I will go back and beat up that boss I missed, excited to do it now. I was too hungover for the majority of the day to do something as difficult as play Bloodborne. I thought the first Boss was going to be whatever was trying to smash through the other side of the door in the large bonfire looking area.

The time I lost my 7000 blood echoes I forgot about the whole picking them back up thing and got myself killed on my next go long before I met the blue eyed rat.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

You'll find that 7000 is nothing. My buddy was once carrying several million souls and 50+ humanity on Dark Souls and lost it all. Didn't even care since he was done leveling up.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Is there a way to make the parkour in Dying Light not total loving garbage or am I just going to have to deal with Crane arbitrarily deciding when to land on things and extend his arms above his head?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Its terrible forever

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

EmmyOk posted:

Oh you minx of course I read that! I will go back and beat up that boss I missed, excited to do it now. I was too hungover for the majority of the day to do something as difficult as play Bloodborne. I thought the first Boss was going to be whatever was trying to smash through the other side of the door in the large bonfire looking area.

The time I lost my 7000 blood echoes I forgot about the whole picking them back up thing and got myself killed on my next go long before I met the blue eyed rat.

You can find out who's banging on that door. If you don't find out and try to walk past his area I'm pretty sure he turns around and finds you. You probably fought him and didn't realize he was the door banger. It's hard to notice when an intermittent noise stops when dogs are ripping out your guts and someone's trying to smash your face in with a brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

I like crafting because it lets me play fashion with my pretty princess witcher.

You could do this if the game just dropped the gear instead of recipes, though.