Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Groogy's playing?! poo poo man maybe I should play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Baronjutter posted:

And this will work on a game in progress, not just a new game?

So long as it's not Ironman (because you won't be able to load the save), yes, it'll work

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cynic Jester posted:

I decided to look over at western europe after durdling around in Russia. I notice both Burgundy and France are seemingly intact. Weird I think to myself and check Burgundy.

Whelp

Did France inherit the union with all the Dutch minors too? Jesus.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

PittTheElder posted:

Did France inherit the union with all the Dutch minors too? Jesus.

Yepp. Pretty sure the blue blob will be the antagonist of this playthrough.

Edit: And spain lost the PU with Aragon, so they won't be doing much against mecha france.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Cynic Jester posted:

Yepp. Pretty sure the blue blob will be the antagonist of this playthrough.

Edit: And spain lost the PU with Aragon, so they won't be doing much against mecha france.

Well just remember that Russia did win in the war against Napoleon so...

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Baronjutter posted:

Is something bugged or is it possible for the pope to just vanish? If so how do I raise my relations to not cripple my papal influence? Also I wish I could just say gently caress it and install some state-controlled anti-pope in Rome and maybe fight a war over it to have the papacy subordinate to my secular authority.

It is possible for pope to get no new land if Rome was taken by Italy or non-catholics and all the catholic theocracies in HRE told him to get lost. Just convert to protestant or reformed, or war whoever ate the HRE popeland and make them release it, having a vassal pope gives you -2 diplomatic reputation.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

There is no way to make a Mac Ironman save in the Steam cloud load on a Windows box is there?

I have no problems with this, I've played the same steam cloud save games on my iMac at work and on my Wintendo at home. EU4 and Clausewitz saves in general are just text files that define the state and history of the game, it's why it's so easy to edit them.

Sheep posted:

It appears that Lithuania retains the lucky flag even if they're in a personal union under a PC Poland.

Anyone know if this also works with vassals (esp. those who are forced)? I am going to need another overpowered general creating vassal after I form the Commonwealth and Brandenburg would work well.
Whenever I vassalized a lucky nation they lost the lucky tag, I think it's different for PUs tough.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Started a game as Muscovy because you guys got me going talking about it. A year in Lithuania's ruler dies and Bohemia gets the PU, but I can challenge the succession war. I really should have left it go, didn't realize Austria gets to join because I guess they are defending a member of the empire. Game is pretty much a write-off at this point, but it would be interesting to see how history developed in that scenario...

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Got Vassa or Wettin as France by coming out of a regency with a Habsburg ruler.

This isn't what I wanted :negative:

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

hi, I have a small question. I've been playing Castile and I have a enough military to take Argon but my problem is that France is allied with it and it can't take it at all because 35 soldiers come to kill my soldiers. I have max army, I really don't know what to do I besides just to wait for something to happen. Anyway to make Argon hate France or any other way to form Spain? Sorry, I am really new to the game but, I am interested in playing. If you could give me any advice, that would be really really nice. :shobon:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Mapparu posted:

hi, I have a small question. I've been playing Castile and I have a enough military to take Argon but my problem is that France is allied with it and it can't take it at all because 35 soldiers come to kill my soldiers. I have max army, I really don't know what to do I besides just to wait for something to happen. Anyway to make Argon hate France or any other way to form Spain? Sorry, I am really new to the game but, I am interested in playing. If you could give me any advice, that would be really really nice. :shobon:

There's an Iberian Union event that fires between 1450 and 1550 if Castilian and Aragonese rulers have different genders (male-female or female-male). It will give you personal union over them, putting them under your indirect control. Later you will have a decision to integrate them without paying diplomatic points like you would normally. So there's no need to attack them, you just need to wait a while and have a bit of luck.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

Is culture conversion ever worth it? Every time I think about doing it, I see how many diplo points and time it takes and figure it's not worth the effort. Humanism to reduce the threshold seems like the better investment for a heavily multiethnic empire.

If you're Russia and take Diplomatic ideas and Administrative ideas and activate the policy that gives reduced culture conversion cost you get something like -90% conversion cost all together and can culture convert any province in the game for just a few diplo points, which will massively boost your income which is actually important for a poorer country like Russia, especially since you can have so many goddamn nationalist uprisings because the actual Russian culture covers very few provinces at the beginning of the game and will never spread without your help like it used to in EU3. Last time I played Russia diplo tech was so useless that I spent pretty much all my MP on either vassal annexing or culture conversion, and ended up converting like half of Asia to Russian culture by the end.

If you don't have all those bonuses reducing the cost, though, then no it's not worth it and is way, way, way overpriced.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Mapparu posted:

As Castile, you have a pretty much 100% guaranteed way to peacefully integrate them via event because there's a 100 year time window for it to fire and the requirements are random but not too hard to fulfill.

Don't feel bad, though. I did the exact same mistake you did when I started out playing EU III. If you don't know the game holds Castile's hand into forming Spain, Aragon is an obvious target. For now, I'd say you should just try to keep good relations with Aragon and protect them from anyone trying to conquer them, and maybe see if you can go for Portugal or even the North African coast. Maybe some Italian states if they're weak and not part of the HRE. Other than that, start colonizing!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is Lithuania guaranteed to rival me as Novgorod every game start? I want to get a Merchant Republic Russia game going, but Sweden is real slow at breaking free from Denmark and even then I feel like I need the Lithuanians to even stand a chance against Muscovy.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Disco Infiva posted:

There's an Iberian Union event that fires between 1450 and 1550 if Castilian and Aragonese rulers have different genders (male-female or female-male). It will give you personal union over them, putting them under your indirect control. Later you will have a decision to integrate them without paying diplomatic points like you would normally. So there's no need to attack them, you just need to wait a while and have a bit of luck.

There is also now a 'Women in History' event that, if you're playing Castile, will give you Isabella as your monarch for free, pretty much 100% guaranteeing that you can do the Iberian Wedding event if you want it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

toasterwarrior posted:

Is Lithuania guaranteed to rival me as Novgorod every game start? I want to get a Merchant Republic Russia game going, but Sweden is real slow at breaking free from Denmark and even then I feel like I need the Lithuanians to even stand a chance against Muscovy.

Almost guaranteed, you border and have similar size. To fight Muskovy you should suck up to a horde on the other side from them, Kazan or Golden Horde, those kick serious rear end in early game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Whoever is in charge of taking loans for your country is a colossal moron. -1 in the treasury? Welp, better go and borrow several hundred.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah but you also gotta consider that no matter how financially screwed your country gets, they're still capable of convincing people to loan you a couple hundred.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Poil posted:

Whoever is in charge of taking loans for your country is a colossal moron. -1 in the treasury? Welp, better go and borrow several hundred.

When you consider that each loan is also 0.1 inflation, it would suck even harder if the default loan size was smaller.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Almost guaranteed, you border and have similar size. To fight Muskovy you should suck up to a horde on the other side from them, Kazan or Golden Horde, those kick serious rear end in early game.

Good idea, I forgot that the hordes were still pretty relevant at 1444.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Ottomans has become defender of the faith in my Muscovy game, so I can't declare on the hordes without them getting involved. How hosed am I?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

vyelkin posted:

If you're Russia and take Diplomatic ideas and Administrative ideas and activate the policy that gives reduced culture conversion cost you get something like -90% conversion cost all together and can culture convert any province in the game for just a few diplo points, which will massively boost your income which is actually important for a poorer country like Russia, especially since you can have so many goddamn nationalist uprisings because the actual Russian culture covers very few provinces at the beginning of the game and will never spread without your help like it used to in EU3. Last time I played Russia diplo tech was so useless that I spent pretty much all my MP on either vassal annexing or culture conversion, and ended up converting like half of Asia to Russian culture by the end.

If you don't have all those bonuses reducing the cost, though, then no it's not worth it and is way, way, way overpriced.
There is only one policy that reduces Culture Conversion cost, which is a Religious + Influence. It gives a 20% discount. The Bonus from Religious is 25%. Russian ideas gives you 20%. That total is -65% cost, which is pretty significant. However, to have that extra 20% you have to pay a minimum of 120 Diplo Power over 10 years just to run the policy. Additionally, as a Russian player I would not want to take Influence, at least not early, I dont think.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Early Influence is good if you want to go full manmode and punch a ton of minors out of Lithuania but I haven't done that since way before CS and it's got to be a lot more difficult to do now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

Early Influence is good if you want to go full manmode and punch a ton of minors out of Lithuania but I haven't done that since way before CS and it's got to be a lot more difficult to do now.
Yeah Lithuania way powerful and totally insane this patch so if/when I do play as Muscovy I was planning on going Economic, Exploration, Expansion, <military> and going after Lithuania later rather than sooner, straight conquering hordes as a I go. All the hordeland is low development so the ability to convert things easier should let me skip religious.

I am also thinking of modding Muscovy/Russia's ideas because I think some of them are absurd.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

Yeah but you also gotta consider that no matter how financially screwed your country gets, they're still capable of convincing people to loan you a couple hundred.
:greece:
But there is a limit to how many loans you can take I think. And you are supposed to take a lot of loans as well.

Jackson Taus posted:

When you consider that each loan is also 0.1 inflation, it would suck even harder if the default loan size was smaller.
Well, hopefully the inflation would be lower if you took a smaller loan.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Poil posted:

:greece:
But there is a limit to how many loans you can take I think. And you are supposed to take a lot of loans as well.

I keep forgetting this part.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah Lithuania way powerful and totally insane this patch so if/when I do play as Muscovy I was planning on going Economic, Exploration, Expansion, <military> and going after Lithuania later rather than sooner, straight conquering hordes as a I go. All the hordeland is low development so the ability to convert things easier should let me skip religious.

I am also thinking of modding Muscovy/Russia's ideas because I think some of them are absurd.

You may find that as Muscovy religious is almost tailor made - I would certainly miss having Deus Vult! Seriously though even with Religious +3 missionary strengths idea and extra missionary if you're conquering right your dudes will be behind constantly to the point that sometimes I grab defender of the faith for a while for the third missionary.

I'd say try it the way you want it and if you start hating life due to religious unity and revolts, then work Religious somewhere in there.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had just started a war and gone on the offensive when an event spawned a pair of rebels. My stack of sieging mercs got attacked by the enemy and rolled so poorly they were almost instantly defeated and at that point my real army was too late to reinforce or turn back so they got into battle and was defeated as well. Both armies fled to the same province. One stack of the rebels went into the province and stackwiped both armies one by one when they arrived. Rage quit! I freaking hate this game sometimes. :rant:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I'm playing a Papal States game and these centers of reformation won't leave me alone. Like 75% of my country is wrong religion and there's nothing to do about it. What a big fart.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Is there a land unit mod of choice for use with vanilla games that I perhaps just haven't heard of? I'm entering the last third of my reformed Maya game, and I realized that I just hit the end of my cavalry unit tree... in 1700. Apparently, New World nations don't get anything after Dragoons, while Western countries for example still have two models after that to fill the time until 1820. To a lesser degree, the same happens with infantry - Your final units will have noticably fewer pips than Western ones.

Inevitably being militarily backwards despite enjoying technological parity with Europe sucks, so I'd like to see if someone else has thought about changing that.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Poland's PU over Lithuania was broken, they had no alliance, Lithuania was two military techs behind me, and a disastrous war left Lithuania with no manpower. I used the decision to make myself Russia, and invaded. This was the best time to do this.

And then Lithuania made an alliance with Milan (north Italy), Austria, and Poland and I had to white peace after they took land from my ally Hungary. God drat. Some tough breaks. Even if I win the next war (and the one after) i wont' take all that territory before the claim expires.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Gimmick Account posted:

Is there a land unit mod of choice for use with vanilla games that I perhaps just haven't heard of? I'm entering the last third of my reformed Maya game, and I realized that I just hit the end of my cavalry unit tree... in 1700. Apparently, New World nations don't get anything after Dragoons, while Western countries for example still have two models after that to fill the time until 1820. To a lesser degree, the same happens with infantry - Your final units will have noticably fewer pips than Western ones.

Inevitably being militarily backwards despite enjoying technological parity with Europe sucks, so I'd like to see if someone else has thought about changing that.
On the other hand you have more manpower and force limits than them since you don't get the penalty from overseas provinces in the New World.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rakthar posted:

You may find that as Muscovy religious is almost tailor made - I would certainly miss having Deus Vult! Seriously though even with Religious +3 missionary strengths idea and extra missionary if you're conquering right your dudes will be behind constantly to the point that sometimes I grab defender of the faith for a while for the third missionary.

I'd say try it the way you want it and if you start hating life due to religious unity and revolts, then work Religious somewhere in there.
The Economic first isnt a lock - I should probably go Religious because it is pretty great.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Zettace posted:

On the other hand you have more manpower and force limits than them since you don't get the penalty from overseas provinces in the New World.

But that would be something that happened naturally over a period of several hundred years because of my investments and long-term strategy finally paying off - The gimped military, on the other hand, has absolutely no plausible in-universe explanation.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Totally won vs some country, peace deal comes up and I think "hey, I could take these 5 provinces to snake into getting a port." Realization just after accepting that this means I'm now stuck at 99% overextension and can literally only core one of those provinces every 2-3 years.

oops

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Why is it that sometimes when I have no heir, sometimes I get the warning saying I am at risk at becoming a junior partner in a union, and sometimes it disappears? I just had that happen, and had it happen before. My monarch rose to the throne, it says there was a risk of a succession war if he died, and then for some reason it disappeared.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Node posted:

Why is it that sometimes when I have no heir, sometimes I get the warning saying I am at risk at becoming a junior partner in a union, and sometimes it disappears? I just had that happen, and had it happen before. My monarch rose to the throne, it says there was a risk of a succession war if he died, and then for some reason it disappeared.

Prestige, probably. Another nation needs higher prestige than you to get a PU, so that notification might be looking at that factor.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Bort Bortles posted:

The Economic first isnt a lock - I should probably go Religious because it is pretty great.

If you're planning on taking a bunch of Horde Sunni lands you really need Religious. You straight up can't convert Sunni lands in the beginning of the game as Muscovy, even with a missionary advisor. It takes the +3% MS bonus from Religious along with the +1% MS bonus from a decision that becomes available at Admin 8 to convert Sunni lands in any kind of reasonable time.

I mean, it's certainly technically possible to skip Religious and just wait until you get some missionary strength from decisions and raise Patriarch Authority to 100 and get a missionary advisor, but in the meantime you're going to be dealing with constant rebellions which will slow your conquering down to a crawl. If you want a preview of how annoying skipping Religious will be, look at the one Sunni province that Muscovy starts off with. It already has a couple of percent of unrest, and that's in peacetime, with no overextension, and no separatism in the province.

e: Also Deus Vult is super good for Muscovy because it lets you ignore dip points (you won't need them for peace deals with DV, you don't build ships, and your trade will be crappy at the start anyway) to save them all up to use for diplo-annexing, which lets you focus on getting your Admin up ASAP to unlock early ideas and get to Admin 8 and 10, which both give you super important decisions like missionary strength/unrest bonuses, and the option to switch to Russia and get the Empire rank early.

VDay fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 31, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I went Exploration, then Religious, and you can convert albeit slowly without Religious. However that means an Inquisitor adviser and/or boosting PA and that will tank your income early on. I think you mostly want to get the goodies from turning down PA increases and keep the tax income for like the first century or so.

Practically speaking you really do need the +3% strength and +1 missionary to do anything but small-time conquering of the hordes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

TTBF posted:

Poland's PU over Lithuania was broken, they had no alliance, Lithuania was two military techs behind me, and a disastrous war left Lithuania with no manpower. I used the decision to make myself Russia, and invaded. This was the best time to do this.

And then Lithuania made an alliance with Milan (north Italy), Austria, and Poland and I had to white peace after they took land from my ally Hungary. God drat. Some tough breaks. Even if I win the next war (and the one after) i wont' take all that territory before the claim expires.

Yeah Poland-Lithuania are one of the hardest nations to fight and take territory from, which is why I usually just ignore them as Muscovy/Russia until it's time to grab Danzig and Westernize. They're just so god drat big that any war you have with them, no matter how weak they are, will last forever and cost you a bunch of manpower. On top of that they're a giant blob so taking their lands is slow because you have to siege down their many forts while not letting them sneak past you, and their land is developed enough that taking any sizeable chunk of land is going to cost an arm and a leg.

But man does it feel pretty satisfying when you finally punch through them and leave them weak enough to be devoured from all sides by the HRE, Scandanavia, and Hungary/Ottomans.

• Locked thread