Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sindai posted:

I never figured that out. I would just stop driving and then counter-kill them one by one.

I also didn't figure out you could use the crossbow underwater until I read it somewhere out of game.

Water kills and downing fliers are the only good use of crossbows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Aard works better for downing though.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Any recommended graphics mods for this?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Finally finished the game last night after 149 hours of play. :marc: Got the ending where Ciri becomes Empress.

This has to be GOTY. There is no way another game is going to top this in the next 5 months.

BTW, did the Steam Achievements break for anyone else? I didn't get any of the Achievements for beating the game or for getting to level 35.

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 1, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Riso posted:

You know what I want? It's not NG+.

It's upgrades to the starting Kaer Morhen armour.

You won't get away this easily Comte!

Same but Viper school swords

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Finally finished the game last night after 149 hours of play. :marc: Got the ending where Ciri becomes Empress.

This has to be GOTY. There is no way another game is going to top this in the next 5 months.

BTW, did the Steam Achievements break for anyone else? I didn't get any of the Achievements for beating the game or for getting to level 35.

Yeah, achievements are broken at the moment but the patch notes for 1.08 say that it's going to fix them and the way it's worded seems to imply that it'll be a retrospective fix too.

Patch 1.08 notes

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well, I'm still on my first playthrough (BnBB), and it's hands-down my favorite RPG ever. But I've been playing it so much I have been starting to burn out on it. The only reason I haven't upped the difficulty is because I'm holding on to that last little bit of challenge that "Death March" might offer over "Blood and Broken Bones" and saving it for my next playthrough. I've also accidentally outlevelled most of the content, and started to see the glitchier side of the game.

But tonight I started the quest "Through Time and Space". Holy poo poo, I can't believe I was starting to feel bored with this game what am I saying. Teleporting to other planets/realities? Seeing these alien environments that are beautiful and threatening. The way that Geralt, the character, has no idea what is in store but can only try to apply what knowledge he has to the situation, is perfectly mirrored in the player's situation. I have no idea what's in store for me in game, but I know a lot about this games mechanics, and like Geralt, I explore these alien environments alert for familiar phenomenon.

Why am I in here posting this? I should get back to the game...

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 1, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
oh my god playing as ciri is fantastic

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It occurs to me that 1.08 may not replace 1.07 so I really do need to get this patch problem resolved if I'm ever going to play the game again.

Whenever I try to install patch 1.07 I get the following error and a hosed up game with weird behavior like constant freezes.

"Error adding: E:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\content\content4\streaming.cache"

Looking it up there are two possible problems and solutions

1. The drive it's installed on doesn't have enough room for this (which means the patch requires upwards of 100 gb of free space to run, but whatever, I'll try it)

The solution to this is changing the system variables of the TEMP and TMP files to go to a drive with more room. I do that and...same exact error.

The other solution, which I found on the CDPR forums, was to just use GOG galaxy to install the patch.

When I do that, I get the helpful "Disk access error" message after installation, followed by GOG galaxy telling me the install is corrupt.

Uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times has made no difference.

Any ideas, anyone?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

But tonight I started the quest "Through Time and Space". Holy poo poo, I can't believe I was starting to feel bored with this game what am I saying. Teleporting to other planets/realities? Seeing these alien environments that are beautiful and threatening. The way that Geralt, the character, has no idea what is in store but can only try to apply what knowledge he has to the situation, is perfectly mirrored in the player's situation. I have no idea what's in store for me in game, but I know a lot about this games mechanics, and like Geralt, I explore these alien environments alert for familiar phenomenon.

Why am I in here posting this? I should get back to the game...

I was initially kind of annoyed that the game didn't just end after the Battle of kaer Moren (sp?) but all of the end game content seems like the best main story stuff. That quest is awesome. I'm a few hours past that and it's all been really good. They almost lost me around the time that you have to act in a play because finding Ciri was starting to feel like the most long winded, non time sensitive thing ever.

At least getting bored with the main story prompted me to do some fun side stuff and when I came back to it, it got good again shortly after.

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010
There's some cool stuff after the battle of Kaer Morhen, but to me it felt like the plot lost itself completely and the quest design got very uninspired, sending you on more fetch quests and throwing packs of enemies at you for no reason.

I really, really wish they'd gone for a quieter last act.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think the problem is the lack of context supplied for what's going on compared to every other act so stuff just seems rushed and heedless.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I think the wild hunt doesn't play a part in the miserable peasant simulation. Geralt and the politics of a continent in the hellhole age was an enjoyable experience but only consisted 4/5ths of the game. Bringing a satisfying conclusion to the series with the first appearance of character and a faction (that were only alluded to before) is a very tall order so I don't expect most writers, let alone a game to accomplish it.

Ezio had an awful arc in the AC games in comparison so I'm convinced ubisoft stumbles onto fun IPs through dumb luck and proceed to stuff them up. It amounts to a minor gripe because Witcher 3 is a significantly better package than any modern aRPG.

I just want a good detective monster hunter game on PC. :v: A non-halfassed anachronistic time travelling game would be a nice spinoff though!

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
So this is probably one of the best games I ever played. Post Isle of Mist / Kaer Morhen spoilers (end of Act 1 I guess): I have never played a game that made me cry like the giant big baby I am and then had me with a big smile on my face having a blast less than 5 minutes later with a snowball fight with Ciri. A drat snowball fight, so awesome. I let her win of course.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I hope the inevitable enhanced edition changes the whole Roche/Thaler/Dijkstra scheme since it absolutely makes no sense in the context of who each person is. Sure, Dijkstra for a strongman can't go that well for a lot of people, but Roche and Thaler are both hardcore Temerian patriots. Selling out the whole of the north in exchange for vassaldom just doesn't seem in line for a guy willing to burn the world down around him to get Anais seated on Temeria's throne.

That and I don't see a lot of people picking the option that ends with your friends from the previous game getting butchered in front of you.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Party Plane Jones posted:

I hope the inevitable enhanced edition changes the whole Roche/Thaler/Dijkstra scheme since it absolutely makes no sense in the context of who each person is. Sure, Dijkstra for a strongman can't go that well for a lot of people, but Roche and Thaler are both hardcore Temerian patriots. Selling out the whole of the north in exchange for vassaldom just doesn't seem in line for a guy willing to burn the world down around him to get Anais seated on Temeria's throne.

That and I don't see a lot of people picking the option that ends with your friends from the previous game getting butchered in front of you.

What Roche is doing there basically is burning the world down to get Anais on the throne.

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?
Hey I just lost all of my saves (computer apocalypse) anyone know where some are posted? I'd rather not start all over. I was just after the battle of Kaer Morhen.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Are stashes 'local', or do they magically interconnect? As in - if I place an item in a stash box in white orchard, can I access it from any other stash?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
They are all the same stash. Like Diablo.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ciri is OP as gently caress and it's rad as hell. :allears:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

It occurs to me that 1.08 may not replace 1.07 so I really do need to get this patch problem resolved if I'm ever going to play the game again.

Whenever I try to install patch 1.07 I get the following error and a hosed up game with weird behavior like constant freezes.

"Error adding: E:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\content\content4\streaming.cache"

Looking it up there are two possible problems and solutions

1. The drive it's installed on doesn't have enough room for this (which means the patch requires upwards of 100 gb of free space to run, but whatever, I'll try it)

The solution to this is changing the system variables of the TEMP and TMP files to go to a drive with more room. I do that and...same exact error.

The other solution, which I found on the CDPR forums, was to just use GOG galaxy to install the patch.

When I do that, I get the helpful "Disk access error" message after installation, followed by GOG galaxy telling me the install is corrupt.

Uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times has made no difference.

Any ideas, anyone?

You have a failing hard drive

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

:agreed:

If the Witcher had never happened, I'd probably be super psyched for Fallout 4 right now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really like me some TW3, but I don't think it has a shot at GOTY for me. FO4 and MGS just look too good and Bloodborne already has my current top spot. It's just going to be a good year for games I guess.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Gorgolflox posted:

So this is probably one of the best games I ever played. Post Isle of Mist / Kaer Morhen spoilers (end of Act 1 I guess): I have never played a game that made me cry like the giant big baby I am and then had me with a big smile on my face having a blast less than 5 minutes later with a snowball fight with Ciri. A drat snowball fight, so awesome. I let her win of course.

I didn't. Flawless victory in fact. She's old enough and she needs to understand the value of losing. :colbert:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The Iron Rose posted:

You have a failing hard drive

God drat it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

God drat it.

That's what disk errors usually mean.

It's a pain in the rear end undoubtedly, but new TB HDDs are like 50 bucks. And SSDs you can RMA with their (generally) good warranties.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I once saw a machine get "disk read error" because the PSU was dying. :shepface:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

The Sharmat posted:

God drat it.

You are lucky to have caught it early, back up anything that's not already backed up asap.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah doing that.

I feel kind of dumb that I didn't consider that myself. It kind of explains some other problems I've been having with it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

man losing that gwent game really did knock geralt dead.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Iron Rose posted:

man losing that gwent game really did knock geralt dead.

Enchanced weapons/armor for hours?

That's a mod I assume.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
My #1 complaint is that I didn't get to challenge Eredin to a game of Gwent.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
Ok need a little help, I'm at the final mission with only Avallach to talk to bit I'm stuck at level 32. I want to use master crafted Wolven gear but I need to be level 34 for that.

I can't find any side quests which are green any more. Is there any easy way to get the last 2.5k xp I need to get to 34?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

Why were min levels on gear changed?

Gear level requirements are actually derived solely from stats. If the base stats are revised upwards for an item the level requirement increases.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Game really needs cosmetic armor slots so I can be fancy and still have good stats.

Give me this so I can wear my starter Kaher Moren armor.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

Enchanced weapons/armor for hours?

That's a mod I assume.

Yeah I found going back and forth from the blacksmiths super annoying so i just multiplied the duration by 10.

It still seems to expire randomly so it's not as overpowered as you'd think.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Han Nehi posted:

:agreed:

If the Witcher had never happened, I'd probably be super psyched for Fallout 4 right now.

As long as Bethesda keeps using variations on that stupid loving engine, Fallout and Elder Scrolls games will always have a rather disappointingly low ceiling for me.

NESguerilla posted:

I really like me some TW3, but I don't think it has a shot at GOTY for me. FO4 and MGS just look too good and Bloodborne already has my current top spot. It's just going to be a good year for games I guess.

I guess it depends on what your criteria for judgement are. TW3 doesn't have great movement or combat and the menus/inventory management leaves much to be desired. Let me put it a different way, I have never played an RPG that has been better at telling a story than TW3, nor one as good at keeping you engaged and interested in even the most trivial side-quests. The amount of exposition that they DIDN'T have to do because of the facial animations alone is rather staggering.

I forgot that Just Cause 3 is coming out this year. I hesitate to say that it can overtake TW3 because that would be like comparing apples to oranges exploding dildos.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Game really needs cosmetic armor slots so I can be fancy and still have good stats.

An overhaul of the crafting system in general would be nice. Why can't we just craft anything we have the schematics for and have the stats, material/cost requirements, and craftsman level scale to the level we want it to be?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah I found going back and forth from the blacksmiths super annoying so i just multiplied the duration by 10.

It still seems to expire randomly so it's not as overpowered as you'd think.

It will expire if you change your swords/armor or if you meditate otherwise it should stick around.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Guys I killed a troll and I feel really bad about it :suicide:

Full confession w/ minor Kaer Morhen area spoilers:
I was faffing about minding my own business and for some reason Geralt decided he wanted to investigate what was killing Drowners. It turned out to be a troll who was hostile right away. I killed it and then found it had a letter written by a dude who planned the Salamandra assault on Kaer Morhen from the first game. Geralt quips "Seems we owe this troll a lot" since the battle went terribly for the Salamandra.

On the plus side, I found the farting trolls and killed them mercilessly because people who make Youtube videos should not be encouraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nobody Interesting posted:

Guys I killed a troll and I feel really bad about it :suicide:

Full confession w/ minor Kaer Morhen area spoilers:
I was faffing about minding my own business and for some reason Geralt decided he wanted to investigate what was killing Drowners. It turned out to be a troll who was hostile right away. I killed it and then found it had a letter written by a dude who planned the Salamandra assault on Kaer Morhen from the first game. Geralt quips "Seems we owe this troll a lot" since the battle went terribly for the Salamandra.

On the plus side, I found the farting trolls and killed them mercilessly because people who make Youtube videos should not be encouraged.

I felt really bad too, but I don't think it can be helped.