Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Sociopastry posted:

When you have a spikey rear end booger that tries to stab you in the brain

If you got boogers in your rear end that poke you in the brain, that's a bit more than a pet peeve, it's an actual medical problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Gen. Ripper posted:

People who obsessively abstain from using the word "retard" and its derivatives, chastise others for using it, and call it the "r-word" like it's somehow EXACTLY as offensive as the n-word. No. No, it really isn't, you goddamn pearl-clutchers, and I say this as somebody who's been diagnosed with a developmental disorder (Asperger's).

I'd say something about respectful behavior and social cues, but seeing as how you're a self-confessed sperglord, that really wouldn't mean anything, now would it. :downs:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Oh, I hardly drop cluster R bombs or anything, I just find the campaign silly and pointless at best. :shrug:

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Gen. Ripper posted:

Oh, I hardly drop cluster R bombs or anything, I just find the campaign silly and pointless at best. :shrug:

I bet the majority of people who have been called "retard" in earnest don't think it's pointless, even if you do.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

People in my new job keep commenting that I look sad or angry all the time even when I'm not but I have hooded eyelids and I'm not going to walk around with my eyes wide open all the time or get surgery so gently caress them :mad:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gen. Ripper posted:

People who obsessively abstain from using the word "retard" and its derivatives, chastise others for using it, and call it the "r-word" like it's somehow EXACTLY as offensive as the n-word. No. No, it really isn't, you goddamn pearl-clutchers, and I say this as somebody who's been diagnosed with a developmental disorder (Asperger's).

Well if someone's going to try and get snooty about sexist and racist language, why should they consider the use of retard, etc, acceptable? I've never gotten a straight answer on this.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

poptart_fairy posted:

Well if someone's going to try and get snooty about sexist and racist language, why should they consider the use of retard, etc, acceptable? I've never gotten a straight answer on this.

People can be incredibly selective about their beliefs. And honestly, having a developmental condition doesn't mean that someone speaks for anyone and everyone that that word calls for.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I hate when people tell a story, try to remember a name and then just hang to figure out that name for 5 minutes, even when people go "It's not important" and then still not go on with the story.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Michaellaneous posted:

I hate when people tell a story, try to remember a name and then just hang to figure out that name for 5 minutes, even when people go "It's not important" and then still not go on with the story.

I know somebody who does this, but also insists on giving long, semi-incoherent directions to places, even when you ask him to just give you the address so you can have your phone/GPS/whatever lead you there.

I trust Google Maps a hell of a lot more than poo poo like, "It's gonna be two rights...then you'll see a big Japanese Maple, and after a few blocks, you want to make a left on a street that's either 'Bruce' or "Bunce' and go about half a mile until you get to the place where that MacFrugal's was until it closed down before you were born..."

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
People who clap for subway performers. Don't encourage them.

Subway performers who perform at like 9am and then make jokes like "guess you haven't had your coffee yet!" when people don't respond positively.

Subway performers who get on a packed-to-the-gills train at 6pm on a weekday and wail on bongos for like ten straight minutes.

Subway performers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Subway performers who perform at like 9am and then make jokes like "guess you haven't had your coffee yet!" when people don't respond positively.

Subway performers who get on a packed-to-the-gills train at 6pm on a weekday and wail on bongos for like ten straight minutes.

Subway performers.

The fact that you can get some kind of license or ID to perform in the station.

Homeless dudes who walk into a train during everybody's work commute and talk for 10 minutes about their plight as if cornering a bunch of tired, grumpy people will work any better than the usual tactics.

People walking through the emergency doors from traincar to traincar and shoving flyers in your face while you're obviously looking deeply at your phone on purpose.

People who pretend to be impoverished/homeless in order to scam tourists while a bunch of actual homeless are sitting on the same block in despair.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When you're on public transport and have your bag sitting on the seat beside you and someone just starts to sit down without asking you to move it first so you have to react quickly and grab your bag out of their way.

I don't understand why anyone would do that, but it's not an isolated incident, people do it all the time. And I don't even put my bag on the seat if the train/tram/bus is crowded.

Unrelated: people who can't tolerate silence and keep trying to make small talk even when you're clearly trying to read a book or something.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
A thing about the express lane at the grocery store. I don't mind if someone is a couple items over the limit. Whatever. That doesn't slow the line down nearly as my three other peeves when it comes to the express lane.

First is when people don't have their payment ready. This is true for any line though. You KNOW you're gonna be paying soon, get your poo poo out once you've unloaded your cart/basket.

Second, and far worse, is when people in the express lane pay with a check. You're defeating the whole purpose by using an obsolete method of payment that takes 10 times longer than cash or debit. And if you have a checking account, you have a debit card. There is literally NO reason to use a check. It's not safer, it's not easier, it's not faster. Stop using them at retail locations.

Third is on the store, and that's when they put the new guy on the express lane. I can kind of understand that the put them there because smaller transactions are easier to train on, but they're still a lot slower than the employees who have been there for a while. This completely defeats the purpose of an Express lane.

Express lanes should be manned by the fastest employee and should be credit/debit only. Or just go to the single queue for all the check lanes method. I don't know why all stores don't do that. It's the fastest and fairest system.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

it was the happiest day of my short, lovely tenure at a gas station when they tore out the check processing crap and went to cash/plastic only.

gently caress checks.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
It really bugs me when people overreact to good food. Their eyes roll back in their heads, they point with their spoon/fork, and go "mmm! MMMM!" like they've never had fish and chips (or whatever) before. We get it, it tastes good. Stop having a culinary orgasm. I've been watching food network at the gym (it's one of only a few channels and if I'm not in the mood for the Kardashians or Fox News, FN it is) and people do this ALL THE TIME. That, or they kiss their fingers like some caricature of an Italian grandma. Do Italian people even do the finger-kiss thing when they make really good food?

Also, the word foodgasm. I know it's just an expression but it creeps me out when people compare food to sex. Stop moaning when you eat, it's weird.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Master Twig posted:

A thing about the express lane at the grocery store.

Before they remodeled my local walmart had the cigarettes on sale only at one of the express lanes, so you would often have people full carts going through the 15 or less line because they couldn't buy smokes anywhere else.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I cant STAND emptyquote posting

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

HOLY gently caress posted:

People in my new job keep commenting that I look sad or angry all the time even when I'm not but I have hooded eyelids and I'm not going to walk around with my eyes wide open all the time or get surgery so gently caress them :mad:

I actually got dinged on a performance review for having a resting bitch face. Pissed me the hell off.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Subway performers.

Currently on a train with a woman blowing balloon animals and singing Wonderwall

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
People yelling, especially haltingly, at the drive thru.

I know it was probably necessary in the 60s but we have modern equipment today so you don't have to have this

:) Hello how can I help you today

:wth: I. WOULD. LIKE. A. MILK. SHAKE!!!

:) Ok what size would you like

:wth: LARGE!!!!

I'm so sad the workers are probably deaf because of this :(

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm watching Iron Chef America on Netflix, because I ran out of stuff. They keep adding sound effects to 'enhance' the cooking or something. Like if someone is whisking, they add a whisking sound, but it won't match the visual. The worst is that they have ONE sound effect for pouring of liquid. It kind of sounds like, if you were to pour a milkshake into the metal cup from some height - and it's added to everything. Doesn't matter if it's pouring a vat of boiling water into the sink, pouring a glass of champagne, or ladling gravy onto potatoes; it's the exact same gurgle, just longer or shorter. Drives me mad.

I've always hated exaggerated food and drink sounds in commercials and the like.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Master Twig posted:

Express lane bullshit

When people look down at their cart FULL of items, go "I'm a few over!" and start unloading anyway

When people bring a few giant items (that clearly don't fit on the tiny express counter), or incredibly high maintenance poo poo (a million coupons, questions, returns, etc) because technically they have less than ten :downs:

When one person with one item gets to the register, then says "hang on I have more coming" and stares off into the distance as the other fifteen people in their group slowly amble up from halfway across the store, with more items in hand

When someone finishes their transaction but then takes their sweet, sweet time putting away their change/wallet/purse/groceries, taking up the entire counter space and backing up the line, completely destroying the point of a loving EXPRESS LANE in the first place

When someone gets salty as all hell at the cashier for even suggesting that maybe, just maybe, they should take their shitload of items to the next lane over, which also has no line and would in fact be FASTER for them because it actually has a bagger and room for more than two items :suicide:

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

People who spend forever at the cash machine/atm.

Put in your card, type in your pin, withdraw money.

It takes thirty seconds. Yet you have idiots that have to check their loving balance, get a receipt, re-check their balance, decide how much money to take out and then pop in another card and go through the same loving routine.If you take longer than a minute at any cash machine I loving hate you.

People who refuse to believe one of the machines is broken or empty. Like when you're queuing at a couple of them you always get that one dick that gets angry that nobody is using the second one despite it clearly being out of order, barges to the front of the queue and attempts to put their card in the broken machine. Then, when it inevitably doesn't work loudly announces "that one isn't working"

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

reformed bad troll posted:

People who spend forever at the cash machine/atm.

Put in your card, type in your pin, withdraw money.

It takes thirty seconds. Yet you have idiots that have to check their loving balance, get a receipt, re-check their balance, decide how much money to take out and then pop in another card and go through the same loving routine.If you take longer than a minute at any cash machine I loving hate you.

How dare those bastards attempt to use the ATM as a bank replacement, amirite?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm watching Iron Chef America on Netflix, because I ran out of stuff. They keep adding sound effects to 'enhance' the cooking or something. Like if someone is whisking, they add a whisking sound, but it won't match the visual. The worst is that they have ONE sound effect for pouring of liquid. It kind of sounds like, if you were to pour a milkshake into the metal cup from some height - and it's added to everything. Doesn't matter if it's pouring a vat of boiling water into the sink, pouring a glass of champagne, or ladling gravy onto potatoes; it's the exact same gurgle, just longer or shorter. Drives me mad.

I've always hated exaggerated food and drink sounds in commercials and the like.

The "look how crispy our food is!" chomping sound during commercials drives me batty. Chewing loudly is never okay, and enhancing the chewing sounds makes me want to strangle your loud rear end. I don't care if you can make a stupid song out of chewing sounds, KitKat, it's still unacceptable.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Maggie Fletcher posted:

The "look how crispy our food is!" chomping sound during commercials drives me batty. Chewing loudly is never okay, and enhancing the chewing sounds makes me want to strangle your loud rear end. I don't care if you can make a stupid song out of chewing sounds, KitKat, it's still unacceptable.

I'm choking on my own rage here.

Worst thing is that I'm sure ad-men have this to a science. Like, for the 5% of us that are affected like a dog before an earthquake when they hear those sounds, it's better-selling the product to everyone else.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
People on the internet who write out stories "being" someone despite not being that. It is so glaringly obvious (looking at stdh thread). The ones of "old people" giving advice when no old person would write like that, and it's obviously written by someone in their 20s. Or the ones written by a "woman" but are obviously written by a man. IIRC there was some study or similar that women and men type/write differently.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

People on the internet who write out stories "being" someone despite not being that. It is so glaringly obvious (looking at stdh thread). The ones of "old people" giving advice when no old person would write like that, and it's obviously written by someone in their 20s. Or the ones written by a "woman" but are obviously written by a man. IIRC there was some study or similar that women and men type/write differently.

You can tell a poster is a woman when they refer to "cuticles" in any context. A woman in a fancy-pants mood might describe those cuticles as "resplendent". Dead givaways, those words.

Also, while men and women like to get angry and complain on the internet, male posters throw in rape threats, while female posters will throw in random, nonsensical statements as if they were also complaints, when they are clearly not complaints.

Male: "My neighbor hit my parked car and she has no insurance. Ergo, rape."

Female: "My neighbor hit my parked car, and this is the same person who gives me the the stink eye whenever she glances at the clutter on my porch when she knows I'm too busy dealing with the drama over my sister choosing to base her whole wedding on the same colors I had already picked out for my wedding just after I told her and lying about it. Also she has no insurance."

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I hate people who leave shopping carts right next to, but not actually in, cart returns. You made it all the way there, you can't take just a few more steps to put it where it won't obstruct parking spaces and make poo poo harder for the people who have to put them away? I mean I can almost get not using a cart return if it's one of those giant IKEA-like parking lots but in small ones where the rows are fairly short and there's a return on each side? This is even worse if it's a return right next to the store door. People will come out of the store, take their things out of their cart while standing right next to or in the cart return and still leave the cart in the wrong place, what the gently caress :argh:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Female characters in videogames. I don't give two shits if they have boobie plate or breast molded chestpieces, but could we have one or two that don't? That's all I'm asking for. You can have a billion male characters and monsters that are dudes to your hearts content, but it's like every single game studio thinks every single female character should be tits mcgee. Welp jobs done everyone, every lady (ie 1-3 playable characters) has massive knockers, revealing clothing and is a dumb support character.

Even Evolve, the game where the only female monster has tits and rear end, has a grandmother in a giant homemade mech suit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Female characters in videogames. I don't give two shits if they have boobie plate or breast molded chestpieces, but could we have one or two that don't? That's all I'm asking for. You can have a billion male characters and monsters that are dudes to your hearts content, but it's like every single game studio thinks every single female character should be tits mcgee. Welp jobs done everyone, every lady (ie 1-3 playable characters) has massive knockers, revealing clothing and is a dumb support character.

Even Evolve, the game where the only female monster has tits and rear end, has a grandmother in a giant homemade mech suit.

But if no breasts how woman?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Every lady on OkCupid has kids.

Adults who refer to their parents as momma and daddy.

People who post ASMR videos make me wanna reach through the screen and shake them until they speak like normal human beings.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
People who leave out huge details in their stories to make themselves look better.

Coworker is super guilty of this. "SO I got written up for leaving 10 minutes early! Everyone does that, the manager is out to get me!" But no one else leaves early. And yes, you leaving 20 minutes early because "we're slow" WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE OR ASKING THE MANAGER is a write-up offense!

"My son was suspended for threatening the principal! My god, it's PC gone mad!" Except for the fact her kid was kicked out of class for being disruptive, refused to go see the principal, and when they finally dragged him in, he told the guy in a very cold voice that he wasn't afraid of him, but the principal SHOULD be afraid of the kid. Yes. Suspend that fucker and teach your son some loving discipline.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I drive a taxi. I get on with most people. It's a mellow kinda job. There's been some odd incidents - a dude died, a woman gave birth, a guy pointed a shotgun at me, I got punched in the face by a guy who thought I'd kidnapped his daughter - but by and large everyone is nice and chill and the job's okay and the money'll be fine for the 2 years until I get my degree and Uber destroys everything. I can listen to my music, read books in between fares, all is smoov.

There's a certain kind of person, though, so ubiquitous and common that I think there's a factory in the Gorbals stamping them out. An archetypal bampot who's a total loving pain in the arse and never fails to annoy me. Always, without exception, dudes from Glasgow in their late middle age, who have gotten rich off of some kind of trade skill - usually joinery - and are thoroughly convinced that they are witty when actually they're just rude cunts. I mean, everyone from Glasgow thinks they're witty, Billy Connolly managing to spin money from poo poo pub anecdotes has hoodwinked the lot of them, but these guys in particular are swinging and missing. They are always kinda leathery and reddened, square-sausage complexion and immaculate clothes, with cobalt blue eyes and spikey receding white hair and too much cologne. I swear, I can smell one of these fuckers coming a mile away, and tell you what they're going to say before they say it.

They'll get in and name some super faraway location and go HA JUST JOKIN' MATE PURE GOT YIR HOPES UP THERE EH.
You switch the meter on and they go HA FIVER FOR CASH MATE HA HA.
When you get there they'll always go NOW WHAT KIND OF DEAL YE GONNAE DAE ME HA HA.
They always have a slightly beaten-down wife with them, and make caustic jokes at her expense. Invariably the wife has a never-named "yir fucken sister", who is given pelters.
They'll always ask for my personal phone number "So's ah kind git a taxi when ah come back", and then get snitty when I'm not willing to work an extra 8 hours just to babysit him.
Invariably they'll start going on about the Rangers Newco, cause they're always the most toxic kind of bigot.
If anyone else makes a joke their little faces will purse in disapproval, and they'll pause and go "Eh, no" because being funny in the presence of The Weegie Alpha is offensive somehow.
If anything doesn't go their way, the battle cry is always "Hi mate your attitude's fucken stinkin...ah ken yir boss".

So yeah, a weird one. gently caress those dudes. Is there a name for when you get, like, the same kind of person repeated over and over, like some grotesque real-life palate swap?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Nooner posted:

I cant STAND emptyquote posting

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Disgusting Coward posted:

Is there a name for when you get, like, the same kind of person repeated over and over, like some grotesque real-life palate swap?

There should be if there isn't. Would certainly make referring to similar idiots who say "HUR HUR IT DIDN'T SCAN, I GUESS IT'S FREE HUH?" much easier.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

grittyreboot posted:

Every lady on OkCupid has kids.

I don't. :shobon:

Every guy on OkCupid who doesn't want kids also doesn't want a monogamous relationship.

quote:

Adults who refer to their parents as momma and daddy.

My mom's dad died when she was still a kid, and she refers to him as Daddy in conversations about him with my grandmother, so I try not to judge her too harshly for it even though I agree with you.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

They shouldn't.
This is my peeve.

Nobody gives a poo poo about people with developmental issues and especially physical deformities because it's not trendy to stand up for them on social media.
I see the same social rights heroes say poo poo like, "This retard came in the other day..." or even worse making fun of respite care workers who are with their clients out in public. It's insane how many regular, everyday folk literally think people with disabilities shouldn't be allowed to restaurants and public places and believe it's a shame they weren't aborted.

People can be selective in where their morals and beliefs stand, but if you really want to judge character see how someone acts around a person with a severe disability.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't. :shobon:

Every guy on OkCupid who doesn't want kids also doesn't want a monogamous relationship.

I do. :shobon:

Which gets to my pet peeve on dating websites. I hate that many sites give me daily matches with women whom I have literally nothing in common with. I hate that I have to literally send out hundreds of messages to even get one reply, and never get a message sent from a woman who browsed my page. And it's not just me. Every guy I know has had the exact same experience. Everyone I know who says that online dating has been great and gotten them lots of dates is a woman, except for one guy, but even he said he was on for six months and sent hundreds of messages before meeting someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Disgusting Coward posted:

I got punched in the face by a guy who thought I'd kidnapped his daughter

How did that happen?!