Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
i bought an e28

got a new apartment that doesn't suck, need to move my poo poo over

got a raise, paid off some loans i took against my 401k

thanks random 12k bond from my grandparents that i haven't heard from in 15 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

mariooncrack posted:

I'm a fan of mechanical keyboards these days. I've had a few for a couple of years and I've had no issues with them. I want a model m but I have enough keyboards and I don't know if I want to spend the money.

I've got a model m, got it with a $200 PC I bought 15 years ago. It's a weird model m though, made in scotland and the left hand side keys are blue.
Too big for my desk and can't be bothered using ps2 plugs and adapters or having a huge beige k/b on my desk, plus my tower is a fair way away, since it's a huge lian li full size thing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
If doing a clean install of win10, be sure you do an upgrade *first*.
Glad I had an empty SSD already installed on this laptop. 12 minutes to install 7, one wifi driver install to connect to my server and retrieve the key to activate 7, then an upgrade install of 10 later MS recognizes the laptop as being licensed for 10. At least its a 1 time thing.

And still debating on the Mustang GT vs a FoST. So not much has changed there.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Looking for some opinions here. I have a slow leak somewhere in the AC system on my BMW that I have been completely unable to track down. It's been hot as poo poo here lately and I'm tired of being soaked in sweat when I come back from lunch, so I finally bit the bullet and took the car to a very well respected local shop that specializes in old european cars with the instructions to have them find and plug the leak, and then recharge the AC. Also, I've been getting an intermittent "LOW OIL PRESSURE" warning on the MID that pops up and goes away almost instantly, so I asked them to look for anything out of place that might cause that.

They come back with "well, we couldn't find the leak so we just charged up the AC and if you want you can come back in a couple months and we'll look around and see if we can spot any dye". OK thanks, if I'd wanted it fully charged up with the leak still there I'd have done it myself for free, but whatever. They also said that my oil was "at least 1.5 quarts low and dirty". Except I changed the oil myself ~6 weeks ago, and it has probably 800 miles on it. The car does use some oil, but the MID pops up an oil level message when it's down exactly one quart (which hasn't happened). I would guess it was probably down 1/2 quart maybe. So I told them that I was using Mobil 1 15W50 and gave them the OK to top it up while it was there.

They charged me $9 for a quart of Mobil 1 15W50, which is written as such on the bill. Which is fine - that's on the steep side of the going rate for that, but it's a shop so not unexpected. However, after I had left I popped the hood to check something else, and found a round foil seal from an oil container that said "KENDALL GT-1" on it. It doesn't take a genius at this point to figure out that they just threw in whatever poo poo they had laying around the shop, and just told me they put in the right stuff - and charged me accordingly. :tizzy:

I"m going to be giving them a call on Monday and have some words with them regardless. I don't want to completely freak out at them (especially because I'm going to be calling from work) but what would be a reasonable course of action here?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fo3 posted:

Does logitech make anything half decent?

Nope. Microsoft peripherals are the good stuff IMO. And unlike their last two operating systems they actually come out of the box fully assembled and working correctly.

Also, I'm starting to hate my Kia as much as you're supposed to hate a '90s Korean SUV. Finally changed that rear main seal and the oil filter housing started leaking again, as well as a new mystery oil leak and I found out my front driveshaft slip yoke is 80% rusted through. I'm about ready to stuff a rag down the filler neck, light it and walk away, but I'm not quite certain the fuel:rust ratio in the tank is rich enough for that to even burn.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 1, 2015

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

The Locator posted:

In other interesting hill climb news, and much closer for the Texas people:

This is why I hate the SCCA. For a 2 mile backwoods hillclimb it's 10 pages of :spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin: about safety, you have to have a license, here's how exactly you should behave, you have to do this, don't do that, you can't wear purple on Sunday aghhhhhhhhhhh STOP OVERTHINKING EVERYTHING AND JUST RACE SOME CARS CHRIST

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Das Volk posted:

This is why I hate the SCCA. For a 2 mile backwoods hillclimb it's 10 pages of :spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin: about safety, you have to have a license, here's how exactly you should behave, you have to do this, don't do that, you can't wear purple on Sunday aghhhhhhhhhhh STOP OVERTHINKING EVERYTHING AND JUST RACE SOME CARS CHRIST

Lawyers have made doing what you propose pretty difficult to manage anymore, especially an event like this that must be coordinated with both a city and a county government.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The only good Logitech mouse is the MX Master. Everything else is :pcgaming: and made of Styrofoam.

Plan for bus so far:
Fly in
Pay money
Drive and get travel permit from Oregon dmv
Get a week of insurance through progressive or USAA
Buy the following spare parts:

Distributor cap
Condenser
Rotor
Spark plugs
Plug wires
Tire plugs
Fan belt
Can of Fix-A-Flat
5 quarts of oil
A handful of bulbs
A basic tool kit (10, 13, 19mm sockets the most important) (cheaper than checking a bag of tools through southwest)

Drive as long as is safe the first day, through the night.
Sleep Tuesday until 1700 or so, depending on the stop time the night before
Drive through the night again. Repeat for Wednesday.

I prefer driving at night, due to limited top speed and traffic, bit I could change that if daytime gives better snapchats is safer.

Also, does anybody know if the clutch assembly from a 72 1600dp beetle (no ring on the clutch fingers) fits the 73 1.7l bus pancake engine? I have a spare, with throwout bearing, sitting in a box.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

kastein posted:

Make sure to add like 20 degrees of camber to your rockers on that drat obsolete janky pushrod motor

You should be running a modern DOHC motor like a 4.6 :v::v:

Hey now, I like my 4.6 in my CVPI :colbert:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bape Culture posted:

What's the best thread to ask about ls motors in

I need to know what's the best and cheapest way to build a 600hp motor and start buying parts

I'm not sure there's much info here about that kind of power. You can do about 500WHP with a cam and heads and a tune on an LS3, but to get a number that starts with a 6 I think you're looking at a turbo. Could do a cheap denmah build? Look up his threads on ls1tech, or just watch his youtube channel until suitably inspired.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

T1g4h posted:

Hey now, I like my 4.6 in my CVPI :colbert:

Yeah its actually a pretty good motor. Doesn't have all the other problems that ford does. As long as its not a three valve its all good. I mean sure it has active rust prevention and a power steering pump that wishes it was an opera singer.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Ozmiander posted:

Wait, so three plus you, or?...

Heyooooooo. Nope, with me makes five.

I'm staying with my parents on their boat this weekend. Three adults and four dogs is way too many living things in this little amount of space.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I mean, I think you summed up the next month of mine pretty well.

Stopped by the parents' house today. I always take a picture of my dog before I leave because I never know if it'll be the next time I see her. She's been getting a lot worse lately.

I de-badged my car today and replaced the H's with the KDM badges. I spent the past hour masking the front of the car to Plastidip the chrome whiskers black when a cloud rolled in and started raining on me.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

The Locator posted:

Lawyers have made doing what you propose pretty difficult to manage anymore, especially an event like this that must be coordinated with both a city and a county government.

No, it really is SCCA being run by a bunch of autists. The only thing we require are SA2005+ helmets. Our organization skips the rest of that horseshit. Want to do burnouts? Go right ahead, we even have an award for the best ones, which Tremek got last year.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
loving U BOLTS I ORDERED ARE TOO SHORT BECAUSE IM AN IDIOT. Going to get reamed on them locally to finish gently caress

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I de-badged my car today and replaced the H's with the KDM badges. I spent the past hour masking the front of the car to Plastidip the chrome whiskers black when a cloud rolled in and started raining on me.

:smuggo:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geirskogul posted:

The only good Logitech mouse is the MX Master. Everything else is :pcgaming: and made of Styrofoam.

Plan for bus so far:
Fly in
Pay money
Drive and get travel permit from Oregon dmv
Get a week of insurance through progressive or USAA
Buy the following spare parts:

Distributor cap
Condenser
Rotor
Spark plugs
Plug wires
Tire plugs
Fan belt
Can of Fix-A-Flat
5 quarts of oil
A handful of bulbs
A basic tool kit (10, 13, 19mm sockets the most important) (cheaper than checking a bag of tools through southwest)

Drive as long as is safe the first day, through the night.
Sleep Tuesday until 1700 or so, depending on the stop time the night before
Drive through the night again. Repeat for Wednesday.

I prefer driving at night, due to limited top speed and traffic, bit I could change that if daytime gives better snapchats is safer.

Also, does anybody know if the clutch assembly from a 72 1600dp beetle (no ring on the clutch fingers) fits the 73 1.7l bus pancake engine? I have a spare, with throwout bearing, sitting in a box.

If you get stuck once you are in Arizona on the west side of Phoenix, I live in Buckeye so could try to help out depending on time etc. (since I work in Tempe). Good luck and safe travels!

Das Volk posted:

No, it really is SCCA being run by a bunch of autists. The only thing we require are SA2005+ helmets. Our organization skips the rest of that horseshit. Want to do burnouts? Go right ahead, we even have an award for the best ones, which Tremek got last year.

Awesome. Although to be fair to the SCCA in the case of the hill climb, the 10 page document (at least the one I found) is mostly about scheduling and maps and such. They simply list which GCR's you have to be compliant with. I don't care for their license requirements, which nixed my slight desire to go, but oh well, with a limit of 60 entrants they shouldn't have too much trouble getting full anyway.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 1, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Why use sliders in the middle? Just slam that HDR slider to the motherfucking right.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What is it with sodding 20th Century Fox blu-rays? My player has the newest firmware, yet won't recognise my Kingsman disc. Apparently they're known to be bad for these problems?

I managed to get it to play once the other day, but it just doesn't want to work now.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Why use sliders in the middle? Just slam that HDR slider to the motherfucking right.

Proper levels and tone are for scrub rear end losers. All high contrast all the time.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mat_Drinks posted:

Congrats on the offer! How are the growth options at the new place? And did you like the CIO and ask him questions? Does he have a good vision and leadership style that will be passed down to your manager? If the answers to those questions are yes, I'd take the new gig.

There's only so much you can pick up from an interview but sounds pretty positive overall, they stressed that they prefer to promote from within and the work environment seemed pretty laid back - both my would-be manager and the CIO were in shorts and t-shirts (the company is a call center so there's no face to face customer interaction, and working a systems/phone support role removes you from that even further.)

They didn't bat an eye at my salary requirements and weren't opposed to giving me three weeks PTO off the bat, including working with me on a week I need off in October despite a 90 day waiting period for new hires on vacation days. They also emphasised that they prefer to have boundaries on duties so I wouldn't have to worry about working on issues that are above my pay grade.

Overall seems like a good fit, it's only about five miles further one way commute than my current job and is right off the highway vs. the half and half drive I currently deal with. But really 10% higher pay off the bat is the deciding factor - at normal raise rates I'd be looking at 2-4 years to make up that difference assuming my current employer gave regular raises.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
My dad showed up and mowed my law, while mowing down my wife's flowers claiming they were dead and complaining about our flower bed.

My wife is not happy, and frankly I cannot blame her.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

meatpimp posted:

For a genny he's doing what he has to.

Also aggro, it looks decent w/o you having to be the weird over-hdr'ed guy.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

They are just lovely Instagram filters with my lovely cellphone. Don't judge me for it, lol.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Super Aggro Crag posted:

They are just lovely Instagram filters with my lovely cellphone. Don't judge me for it, lol.

This only the judgement free zone for horrible life problems

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Nodoze posted:

This only the judgement free zone for horrible life problems

We're your friends here, not like the others.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

meatpimp posted:

We're your friends here, not like the others.

Alcohol is always my friend

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You know this is AI, right? Half the forum takes every chance possible to crack jokes about you splashing people, saying "Don't judge me for my lovely filter use" isn't gonna help :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy gently caress.

I just found out the dude whom I was going to buy that scooter from was killed in an accident last week. His BAC was .21%.

And yes, he was riding the C3 at the time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is the C3 ok?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

Is the C3 ok?

Damnit, you beat me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Is the C3 ok?

I managed to not ask his nephew about the scooter. He was cutting across US 30 and was hit by a semi so I'm assuming the scooter is toast.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

T1g4h posted:

You know this is AI, right? Half the forum takes every chance possible to crack jokes about you splashing people, saying "Don't judge me for my lovely filter use" isn't gonna help :v:

I wasn't really being super earnest there either. :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And in even better news!

Fort Wayne has a EDM music festival every summer, the BAALS Music Fest. Basically a really big street party with live DJs. It would appear that a large religious group has shown up in protest because hey thought that it was a festival celebrating the god BAAL. The police have had to deploy riot gear to keep the Religitards in check.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I managed to not ask his nephew about the scooter. He was cutting across US 30 and was hit by a semi so I'm assuming the scooter is toast.

What a loving idiot, couldn't he at least hit a tree with his head or something? Shameless waste of a C3 :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

What a loving idiot, couldn't he at least hit a tree with his head or something? Shameless waste of a C3 :colbert:

I almost picked up a Chinese knockoff of a Vino the other day but it died and the dude could not get it started again.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I almost picked up a Chinese knockoff of a Vino the other day but it died and the dude could not get it started again.

Best opportunity missed. Offer him half price for it, then throw a carb on it and enjoy.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

Best opportunity missed. Offer him half price for it, then throw a carb on it and enjoy.

Nope, it's the ignition module.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

Why not just get one of the TWC techs to run you a new drop from the outside box into a more convenient place for your modem? It's really not much work for them and would beat dragging nearly 100' of cable in a hot attic.

Talked to TWC. $39.95 just to have them show up, can't give me a total price over the phone, but was told it would likely be at least $100. gently caress that.

I got a long rear end 100 foot extension cord, a hammer, and duct tape, and threw that motherfucker as hard as I could across the attic.

.... made it halfway. Dragged myself on my rear end across the rafters and got it to the other side, and even managed to pop out of the other hatch. Now to duct tape the new coax to the extension cord, pull it back, and hope it doesn't snag again.

fake edit: moving this to the August thread.

real edit: replaced early 90s coax with RG6U, downstream signal strength has gone down significantly. :fuckoff: (yet the SNR has gone down too :psyduck: ) Upstream power levels are exactly the same. It's locking at a higher downstream frequency now, so I don't know if that has something to do with the lower signal levels. Signal quality to the HDHomeRuns is also down a little.

I need to just get some modern splitters. The ones I have now are decent quality (Regal), but original to the house, and only rated to 1 GHz. I have a Klein up in the attic, but it's an 8 port, and I'm worried that many ports, even with terminators, will degrade the signal further.

real edit 2: pulled new cable to the modem outlet, signal quality is much better and uncorrectable errors are a tiny fraction of what they were before. upstream power is still on the high side, but it's got a stable signal now.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

How many of you who have motorcycles ride them when it's cold out?

• Locked thread