Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I also spent a very stupid amount of time locating Witcher armour diagrams. I think maybe 5 or 6 hours because it's a weekend and I don't want to go outside and play with all my friends.

I've picked up diagrams for Superior and Master by stumbling upon them but holy poo poo actually sitting down and decided to look for them all is a crazy trip. Playing HUDless makes it so much more fun too. Have all the sets upgraded to Enhanced now and sitting in my stash waiting for NG+. I think it took so long because I kept getting sidetracked - you just don't get the chance to wander off if you have the minimap up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nobody Interesting posted:

I also spent a very stupid amount of time locating Witcher armour diagrams. I think maybe 5 or 6 hours because it's a weekend and I don't want to go outside and play with all my friends.

I've picked up diagrams for Superior and Master by stumbling upon them but holy poo poo actually sitting down and decided to look for them all is a crazy trip. Playing HUDless makes it so much more fun too. Have all the sets upgraded to Enhanced now and sitting in my stash waiting for NG+. I think it took so long because I kept getting sidetracked - you just don't get the chance to wander off if you have the minimap up.

i did this same thing last week (also hudless). The most frustrating part is finding out that one of the armor parts in a a place you already explored, but you did a bad job and missed the one chest that had the diagram.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Snak posted:

i did this same thing last week (also hudless). The most frustrating part is finding out that one of the armor parts in a a place you already explored, but you did a bad job and missed the one chest that had the diagram.

Had that with the Ursine thing. I went straight up past Rogne and found a ruined keep with a level 30 Ice Elemental (I was level 22 but it dropped like a sissy crybaby for some reason when a level 29 Golem took 4 attempts and this is BnBB) and thought that was it for the whole area, surely there'd be nothing else up that road!

Few hours later I check the map for Ursine stuff and would you bloody believe it...

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Delacroix posted:

I think the wild hunt doesn't play a part in the miserable peasant simulation. Geralt and the politics of a continent in the hellhole age was an enjoyable experience but only consisted 4/5ths of the game. Bringing a satisfying conclusion to the series with the first appearance of character and a faction (that were only alluded to before) is a very tall order so I don't expect most writers, let alone a game to accomplish it.

Ezio had an awful arc in the AC games in comparison so I'm convinced ubisoft stumbles onto fun IPs through dumb luck and proceed to stuff them up. It amounts to a minor gripe because Witcher 3 is a significantly better package than any modern aRPG.

I just want a good detective monster hunter game on PC. :v: A non-halfassed anachronistic time travelling game would be a nice spinoff though!

I think the problem is that 4/5 of the game is a very personal "Find your daughter" story and the last bit turns into Whelp, time to save the world
The shift isn't handled very well, imo.

It's sort of a commentary on how badly games are written. W3 is very well done, but it _still_ has major flaws in its writing. Yennefer is a great example: she's always going to be prickly and a jerk but she legitimately loves Ciri like a daughter. If I hadn't already read the books I wouldn't have been convinced of this at all - I think it's one of the weakest parts of the game and stands out more because it's generally so well done.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

This is on sale atm for nearly half price on greenmangaming via a GOG key, are these guys legit?, because that seems like a pretty huge discount Vs what I've seen on steam price tracker.

I'm tempted to just get it on steam anyway for completeness sake :geno:

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

The amount of alternative dialogue impressed me. I loved being able to roam the world and accidentally bumble into contracts and quests with different responses based on what steps you took or missed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Poolparty posted:

The amount of alternative dialogue impressed me. I loved being able to roam the world and accidentally bumble into contracts and quests with different responses based on what steps you took or missed.

It really is amazing. Never a game that did this AND was fully voice-acted.

There's a few places where I think old dialogue options should have been removed after in game events made them seem out of place.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Poolparty posted:

One of my favorite instances of this is in Skellige. I found a random little spot I could hit with Aard and it led me into a cave then a crypt. When I came out, an NPC screamed 'A ghost!' and it turned out to be a quest to clear the crypt I was just in.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Poolparty posted:

You can gently caress yourself out of rewards or different endings if you sequence break. Case in point the first sidequest you get where you find the guy's brother you can just go straight to the hut without wading through corpses. Since you don't have the brother in tow the Nilfgaardian soldier ends up dying.

Doing the Hillock before Ladies of the Wood ends up making everything turn out better for everybody. The kids get saved and Anna doesn't get punished for it, so she get's the 'killing the tree' ending where she goes insane instead of dying.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 2, 2015

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
If you free the tree spirit, (spoilers for act 2) do you still get to kill the Crones at bald mt? Or does the tree spirit kill them?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

JetsGuy posted:

If you free the tree spirit, (spoilers for act 2) do you still get to kill the Crones at bald mt? Or does the tree spirit kill them?

You always get them.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Anyone know the name of the soundtrack song that plays as you approach the imlerith and hunt navigator fights?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy gently caress i hate Sirens. They are such crappy enemies. They pose like, zero threat but are just a complete nuisance while trying to sail around Skellige. Just this stupid time consuming bullshit you have to do every couple of minutes. Pull out the crossbow and pop off shots until the stupid things are dead, or jump into the water to make the controls even more awkward but you can one shot them. Also that noise they make is queued up twice as loud as everything else and become like nails on a chalkboard after you have heard in 10,000 times.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Pound_Coin posted:

This is on sale atm for nearly half price on greenmangaming via a GOG key, are these guys legit?, because that seems like a pretty huge discount Vs what I've seen on steam price tracker.

I'm tempted to just get it on steam anyway for completeness sake :geno:

GreenManGaming is legit. I got my Witcher 3 key from them.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Spite posted:

It's sort of a commentary on how badly games are written. W3 is very well done, but it _still_ has major flaws in its writing. Yennefer is a great example: she's always going to be prickly and a jerk but she legitimately loves Ciri like a daughter. If I hadn't already read the books I wouldn't have been convinced of this at all - I think it's one of the weakest parts of the game and stands out more because it's generally so well done.

If you can't tell she loves Ciri from her badgering Geralt to go train with her in the prologue (even though it's a dream) or the voice work when she talks about Ciri as a kid in Ermion's lab, then I don't think anything could convince you besides the character turning to the camera and directly addressing you, the player, about how much she loves her adoptive daughter.

Also she basically tackles her at Kaer Morhen, but that's near the end of the game, so I guess that's a moot point.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I found that same quest someone was talking about a few pages pack, "a land far away" and I still have no idea what I did or what happened. I didn't even get the option to give the lady the stuff or say the code words. What the hell is this stone she gave me?

Edit I guess I'll reload because the warrior guy was there right away I didn't get a chance to talk to just her

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 2, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

Holy gently caress i hate Sirens. They are such crappy enemies. They pose like, zero threat but are just a complete nuisance while trying to sail around Skellige. Just this stupid time consuming bullshit you have to do every couple of minutes. Pull out the crossbow and pop off shots until the stupid things are dead, or jump into the water to make the controls even more awkward but you can one shot them. Also that noise they make is queued up twice as loud as everything else and become like nails on a chalkboard after you have heard in 10,000 times.

This and the slow rear end boat are what broke me on exploring all of the undiscovered locations in Skellige.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This and the slow rear end boat are what broke me on exploring all of the undiscovered locations in Skellige.

It's still a bit slow, but you can double tap shift (or whatever the controller equivalent is) just as with Roach to go faster.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Ok. First impressions are mixed. Kinda clunky a bit when trying to go up stuff but it's a small gripe. That and I feel like I always have to have my witchers sense goin. But it's nice. Haven't gotten really used to combat, learning to dodge and roll. Hardly ever use the sigil because I forget, and have died a few times.

Nests, do I need bombs or can I just run in and go gung-ho?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ymgve posted:

It's still a bit slow, but you can double tap shift (or whatever the controller equivalent is) just as with Roach to go faster.

Yea I knew about that. I just wish that Geralt could've found a better, faster boat. Paint a racing stripe on that boat to make it go faster!

Soulex posted:

Ok. First impressions are mixed. Kinda clunky a bit when trying to go up stuff but it's a small gripe. That and I feel like I always have to have my witchers sense goin. But it's nice. Haven't gotten really used to combat, learning to dodge and roll. Hardly ever use the sigil because I forget, and have died a few times.

Nests, do I need bombs or can I just run in and go gung-ho?

You need the right type of bomb to blow it up at the end after you kill all the monsters. Don't forget to loot the items from the nest after you blow it up.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

NESguerilla posted:

They're the cliff racers of the Witcherverse.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I just finished "Where the Cat and the Wolf Play" and revisited Millie in Oreton. The emotion in Geralt's face when he sees the present is so touching. :shobon:

I then sold the picture for some extra gold like the monster I am, can't have junk cluttering my inventory.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Holy poo poo after finishing King's Gambit you can find Berna Bran on an island at sea where she received the punishment she was sentenced to. The attention to detail and consequences in this game goddamn.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

You can just out run them, though? If you don't sail straight through their spawn points there's usually just one of them who gives pursuit and you can fire your crossbow while going at top speed. Or maybe you are trying get all the locations? Actually fighting them sucks, cliff racers and all that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea I knew about that. I just wish that Geralt could've found a better, faster boat. Paint a racing stripe on that boat to make it go faster!

Yeah, I would have liked some more variation. Not-vikings and Nilfgaardians ought to have sleeker, faster or more durable boats.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

You can just out run them, though? If you don't sail straight through their spawn points there's usually just one of them who gives pursuit and you can fire your crossbow while going at top speed. Or maybe you are trying get all the locations? Actually fighting them sucks, cliff racers and all that.

Yeah I'm just sailing around Skellige hitting the question marks and it gets old having to deal with them every time I approach one.

Also agreed some boat variety would have been nice. Or even just a boat item slot that makes them faster or more durable or whatever.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Just got the game, seems to own.

Two questions: What does Alternative movement response actually do?
And how do i work finishers? I don't seem to do any with Automatic finishers on or off

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Illegal Username posted:

And how do i work finishers? I don't seem to do any with Automatic finishers on or off

It's the same controls just a bit more responsive (imo). Turn them on they make it way better.

I think finishers just sort of happen? I'm pretty much at the level cap and it just seems random and maybe partially based on %chance to decapitate items? I never really looked into how those actually work haha.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Illegal Username posted:

Just got the game, seems to own.

Alternative makes things a little more immediate vs the original styles weighted feel. Might as well spend like 10 minutes with both. Neither is really better, it's just another option. I've only had 2-3 issues with the standard movement and I highly prefer it to the alternative.

As far as I can tell on the PS4 finishers are fairly random. They'll happen and when they do you'll feel like an ultimate badass just like a Witcher should.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Reaaaaaly would like a gold cheat.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Reaaaaaly would like a gold cheat.

Cant you just spawn something that costs a lot then sell it?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

NESguerilla posted:

I think finishers just sort of happen? I'm pretty much at the level cap and it just seems random and maybe partially based on %chance to decapitate items? I never really looked into how those actually work haha.
Finishers are not the same thing as decapitations nor instant kills. Finishers are only available when an enemy is incapacitated, staggered, stunned, and is activated when you select a visible "Finish Off" option (it's there if you look carefully before attacking a disabled enemy). Decapitation chance means that there will be a dismemberment Mortal Kombat style brutal finish to kill an enemy that is entirely about style and isn't even affected by damage any way. It simply happens for the last blow to an enemy. The primary positives of a dismemberment move is that during the move you are invulnerable from enemy attacks. Instant kills are a percent chance to perform an attack that takes out an enemy's entire vitality (not sure if it's remaining vitality or total). These are all distinct mostly because these terms are referenced on various pieces of gear and skills (% chance to dismember, % chance to instant kill) and "finisher" is not mentioned. I'm not sure if your signs can perform finishers, dismemberment, or insta-kills, but after playing with a signs build for over half a play through before, I never got a notice indicating anything of that sort.

To perform a finishing move, just try hitting enemies with Aard until you knock one down. Then walk on over to it and hit attack when you see the option "Finish Off" show up. You are also invulnerable while finishing off an enemy.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

OAquinas posted:

They're the cliff racers of the Witcherverse.

I thought this too. There are always 5-8 of them at every smuggler's cache. They pose no threat whatsoever and exist purely to slow me down. I have found it easiest to dive underwater and just one shot them. But what annoys me more than anything else is losing boat durability to random debris in water. I've lost a boat and had to swim this way.
It has been a long and slow process but I nearly have all the points of interest in Skellige. The ones on the tiny islands are my favorites, especially level 43 archgriffon.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Did you by chance also design the "Threesome" quest?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Nobody Interesting posted:

And it'll crash if you finish the dialogue by guessing the options (or at least it did for me). You need to turn all the graphics to low to get through it. You can change them back as soon as you finish the dialogue.

It keeps crashing. I reloaded my game and set the graphics to Low. I get to the part where Keira is scrubbing herself in her bathtub. She gets out and uses her CLOTHES MAGIC. As soon as her and Geralt begin talking the graphics lock up and freeze but the dialog continues.

pik_d posted:

Cant you just spawn something that costs a lot then sell it?

How do you spawn something?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

It keeps crashing. I reloaded my game and set the graphics to Low. I get to the part where Keira is scrubbing herself in her bathtub. She gets out and uses her CLOTHES MAGIC. As soon as her and Geralt begin talking the graphics lock up and freeze but the dialog continues.

How do you spawn something?

There's a mod that gives you the debug console

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Ugh God the Nexus.

I'm more interested in getting my graphic problem to unfuck itself. As much as I like watching Keira wash herself and have the game freeze on it, I'd rather continue playing the game.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 2, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

You can add money via the debug console too actually.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks dude.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I turn off all music :smug:

drat the wild hunts armor is loud and clanky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Do you by chance play with the in-game option of borderless window? This speeds up some games so some people switch to it but this actually fucks up the game and when you switch to full screen you won't experience crashes. At least that's how it was with my version.