Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

ConfusedUs posted:

Turn Coat is a book that I thought was good the first time I read it, but I found it to be great the second time.

There's a lot going on in the book. The interplay between Morgan and Dresden, Molly's training, the council politics...all of these things are important to the immediate plot and the events to come. This is the a book where Harry is at the height of his pre-Changes power. Everything had come together to bring him the ability to defy the council, for the right reasons, in the right way.

Turn Coat also did something I never thought would happen: it made me like Donald Morgan.

And of course, the Naglioshii is probably the scariest villain in the series to date.

If the events of Changes had not happened, I feel that Harry would have become a rising star in the council.

Yeah, that was the one I started the series with. Picked it up on a trip just to have something to read and was surprised at how it pulled me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've since read a little about real-life skin-walkers and witchcraft in Navajo culture - did Butcher ever talk about the origins of skin-walkers in the Dresdenverse? Are they supernatural creatures or were they originally human practitioners of black ethically-challenged magic?

I think he more or less said that some were the equivalent of (fallen) angels and taught people how to do some of their abilities. They both have the same name but the Naglioshii is the angel type.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dienes posted:

Would that make zombies the representation of gluttony?
Zombies are a response to consumerism and marketing, as much as that is about gluttony, it's more about mindless consumption and adherence to social norms and propaganda. Mindless automatons, except for the protagonist - who is a 'Murican power fantasy. There't not really much that's sexy about zombies (although I did see a horrifying indie gay zombie film, where characters could gently caress each other's stab wounds... :catstare: ) Night of the Living dead

The offshoot comedy versions where people marry zombies, etc, aren't really zombie movies as much as, "hey, remember Weekend At Bernie's?! We could redo it - but BERNIE IS A ZOMBIE!!!!"

Khizan posted:

The vampire is a sentient obligate humanivore; unlike most other creatures/monsters/etc it doesn't get a 'non-evil' choice like "live in the remote wilderness" or "lock the herd up during the full moon". It feeds off people or it dies and, to make matters worse, it used to be human itself. To me, this kind of choice is inherently interesting and vampires are one of my favorite 'monstrous' creature types because they don't really get an option to be anything less than monstrous; a man's got to eat.
You haven't ever heard of Bunnicula, have you?

Wolpertinger posted:

Generation V hardly romanticises vampires, the whole gimmick is that they are the horrible, mostly sociopathic, cannibalistic monsters wearing a pretty skin suit straight out of any horror movie/novel and probably worse than some - but due to the disturbing way they're 'born', they are sort of incubated as a human and the main character is terrified of becoming a sociopathic cannibal like his family. He was raised by humans as a sort of experiment by his mother to see if he could 'get' humans and pass for them better than the rest, but when he got too attached to his parents as a kid, his sister ate them and dragged him home.

It always seems weird that people are so opposed to the idea of vampires having a personality other than mindless cannibal, but a character struggling against turning into a monster is more interesting than just bam instant one dimensional sociopath.
The entire thing just sounds like classic teen angst of "I don't want to grow up to be my dad/mom." Is Generation V on the shelf next to Animorphs and Goosebumps?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 30, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well that's a hell of a first sentence to start off Changes.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

thrawn527 posted:

:allears: This is going to be fun.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Now imagine that you've been waiting, after turn coat, for months. The the author tweets that line.

And the book doesn't come out for another six months.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

thrawn527 posted:

I hope you cleared your schedule to finish it in one go, seems like everyone was finishing it 15min before work.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Unfortunately I'm visiting family this weekend. So very little free time.

20% in...I picked the wrong time to start this book, didn't I?

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Only if your family expects to see you.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Alternatively, get the audiobook and you can hang out with them while also ignoring them.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

thrawn527 posted:

:lol: you are so hosed man. Take some loooooong bathroom breaks bro.

As far as the Skinwalkers go, Navajo and most of the Native American mythology is filled with extremely freaky poo poo. I grew up here in the southwest so I don't think about it but it's always interesting to see the reaction that people from other parts of the US have to the local stories. Also funny is people from the east coast having the complete inability to pronounce the tilde and their subsequent hysterical readings of street signs.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

coyo7e posted:

The entire thing just sounds like classic teen angst of "I don't want to grow up to be my dad/mom." Is Generation V on the shelf next to Animorphs and Goosebumps?

It's definitely not giving the YA vibe you're imagining. He's a college-age adult for one, the whole vampire thing kicks in very slowly. The thing with his family is they aren't even the villains of any of the books so far, in fact, they're strangely supportive, and sometimes even likeable and sympathetic while at the same time being hella creepy. The arc of the books is less him doing some teenage rebellion against them and more him learning to accept the inevitable on his own terms and getting groomed to take his place in the family business - everyone's scared shitless of vampires so they're pretty much feudal lords divvying up the continent who everyone pays tribute to, so generally the plot of most of the books is him having to fix some problem for his family as bloodlessly as possible before they get annoyed and just kill everyone involved.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
oh well that totally doesn't sound like an entitled-kid power fantasy tied up with the angst of pubescence

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The existential terror of knowing you are destined to be exactly like your parents - not YA

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

thrawn527 posted:

As tempted as you may be to cheat glances be wary. There is a point of no return in changes. From which you will no longer have the choice to put it down.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

420 Gank Mid posted:

As tempted as you may be to cheat glances be wary. There is a point of no return in changes. From which you will no longer have the choice to put it down.

Page 2?

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
The slip and fall, I think.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

coyo7e posted:

oh well that totally doesn't sound like an entitled-kid power fantasy tied up with the angst of pubescence

As much as you're bizzarely convinced they're some sort of trashy YA Animorphs-level series (possibly because of the name?), the books themselves aren't anything like what you are apparently imagining. it's just a decent UF series, better than many, including the early Dresden books. The main character isn't a teenager, isn't even particularly angsty , is only somewhat physically stronger than the average human at the start of the series and has no super amazing vampire powers, isn't amazingly attractive or smart or special, and relies on other people to do the fighting in most cases. The main plots are, in the typical UF fashion that has spun off of Dresden, a main character detectiveing some sort of supernatural murder. Some people find those kinds of books fun, presumably, considering we're reading this thread. :shrug:

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 2, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

.....what?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

No seriously, he's dead? What?!

Oh hey. Next book is titled Ghost Story? Sure, I don't need to sleep tonight. Hello, Amazon one-click send-to-Kindle purchase.

(More thoughts tomorrow. I have reading to do.)

The Slithery D posted:

The slip and fall, I think.

This is accurate. I read just a little this afternoon...and got to the fall...and I just finished the book.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wolpertinger posted:

As much as you're bizzarely convinced they're some sort of trashy YA Animorphs-level series (possibly because of the name?), the books themselves aren't anything like what you are apparently imagining. it's just a decent UF series, better than many, including the early Dresden books. The main character isn't a teenager, isn't even particularly angsty , is only somewhat physically stronger than the average human at the start of the series and has no super amazing vampire powers, isn't amazingly attractive or smart or special, and relies on other people to do the fighting in most cases. The main plots are, in the typical UF fashion that has spun off of Dresden, a main character detectiveing some sort of supernatural murder. Some people find those kinds of books fun, presumably, considering we're reading this thread. :shrug:
Me-yow!

Totally gritty urban fantasy and not YA because - the protagonist is too old for your tastes? I mean, I figured vampires aged slower than humans. He doesn't start with a bunch of powers, so obviously it's not a power fantasy? You may need to do some more reading up on Joseph Campbell.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I occasionally play a game I call "gently caress This Book", where you and friends exchange copies of the cover blurb and decide at what point you reach Seinfeld-nope.gif. With that in mind, I present to you the blurb for Generation V:

quote:

Fortitude Scott’s life is a mess. A degree in film theory has left him with zero marketable skills, his job revolves around pouring coffee, his roommate hasn’t paid rent in four months, and he’s also a vampire. Well, sort of. He’s still mostly human.

But when a new vampire comes into his family’s territory and young girls start going missing, Fort can’t ignore his heritage anymore. His mother and his older, stronger siblings think he’s crazy for wanting to get involved. So it’s up to Fort to take action, with the assistance of Suzume Hollis, a dangerous and sexy shape-shifter. Fort is determined to find a way to outsmart the deadly vamp, even if he isn’t quite sure how.

But without having matured into full vampirehood and with Suzume ready to split if things get too risky, Fort’s rescue mission might just kill him.

I'm out on "Fortitude Scott", "still mostly human", and "dangerous and sexy shape-shifter."

For comparison, here's the incredibly badly named Storm Front:

quote:

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

No seriously, he's dead? What?!

Oh hey. Next book is titled Ghost Story? Sure, I don't need to sleep tonight. Hello, Amazon one-click send-to-Kindle purchase.

(More thoughts tomorrow. I have reading to do.)

This is accurate. I read just a little this afternoon...and got to the fall...and I just finished the book.

Just so you know, a bunch of us consider Changes-Ghost Story-Cold Days to be a 3 book arc of the same story so don't think you can stop after Ghost Story :v:

I am glad you enjoyed Changes.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ulmont posted:

I occasionally play a game I call "gently caress This Book", where you and friends exchange copies of the cover blurb and decide at what point you reach Seinfeld-nope.gif. With that in mind, I present to you the blurb for Generation V:

I'm out on "Fortitude Scott", "still mostly human", and "dangerous and sexy shape-shifter."

Film Degree for me.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ulmont posted:

Of course, Generation V is actually pretty good while Storm Front was comically awful.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ulmont posted:

So we've got "the outsider", who is nearing their own personal coming of age - yet hasn't fully embraced, accepted, or learned his own powers! - takes up "a quest" which the general group he's familiar with cannot/won't take up, and which they don't feel he can overcome.. He meets a magical sidekick and goes through a small training montage to make the most of his unique powers - even if his opponents have the same powers and are more practised, he's got a secret weapon to beat the odds!

Yep, totally not a YA novel. :laugh:

Thanks for posting the summary, I knew nothing about the book except Mr. rose-tinted's opinion, and I'm not greatly caught off guard by it being exactly what I expected.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Xtanstic posted:

Just so you know, a bunch of us consider Changes-Ghost Story-Cold Days to be a 3 book arc of the same story so don't think you can stop after Ghost Story :v:

I am glad you enjoyed Changes.

I concur with this point. Once you get into Changes don't stop until you finish Cold Days.

Once I got to the what the fuuuuuuck parts of Changes I couldn't stop reading and shrieking like a giddy child at my friends about the things that were happening for days on end.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Me-yow!

Totally gritty urban fantasy and not YA because - the protagonist is too old for your tastes? I mean, I figured vampires aged slower than humans. He doesn't start with a bunch of powers, so obviously it's not a power fantasy? You may need to do some more reading up on Joseph Campbell.

Three books in, he still doesn't have a bunch of/practically any powers. He's a bit slightly physically stronger, I guess. Vampires don't really have powers other than 'freakishly strong and fast', which comes over the decades/centuries. He gets his rear end beat by most things tougher than a human.

coyo7e posted:

So we've got "the outsider", who is nearing their own personal coming of age - yet hasn't fully embraced, accepted, or learned his own powers! - takes up "a quest" which the general group he's familiar with cannot/won't take up, and which they don't feel he can overcome.. He meets a magical sidekick and goes through a small training montage to make the most of his unique powers - even if his opponents have the same powers and are more practised, he's got a secret weapon to beat the odds!

Thanks for posting the summary, I knew nothing about the book except Mr. rose-tinted's opinion, and I'm not greatly caught off guard by it being exactly what I expected.

Because back-cover blurbs are totally representative of the book. Hell, are they even written by the author? Because I'm pretty sure that wasn't.
The 'sexy sidekick' is more of a second main character and is treated way, way, way, better than Susan was in the early dresden books (who was pretty much just a sexy sidekick) considering that suzume is considerably more competent, smart, and useful than the main character for most of the first book, and the author never goes into detailed descriptions of her tits or how amazingly hot she is (unlike dresden), and is more of a slightly irritated bodyguard hired by his family. There's no 'training montage' and he has no unique powers or secret weapon and is in fact mostly a pushover that's pretty much as close as you can be to a normal human dealing with supernatural beings that could beat the poo poo out of him, and solves things with talking in the majority of cases.

Dunno why you got such a hate-on for this book, Sure it's an urban fantasy book and not high literature, but if you looked at brief summaries of Dresden (and not poorly written back cover blurbs) with the same overly cynical eye, Dresden would honestly come out poorer for many of the books. The main character of Dresden is a loner rejected by his peers, but has special powers and is the chosen one and is really the strongest wizard ever! He has many magical and/or sexy sidekicks, and beats overpowering enemies with a trick up his sleeve or a secret weapon to beat the odds!! Clearly, this means that Dresden Files is YA and belongs next to Goosebumps.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 3, 2015

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Fort's secret weapon is... a Colt .45? It's not particularly secret, although I suppose it is a weapon.

Actually, there is a training montage, and it's pretty great. The gist of it is: gently caress the Marquess of Queensbery.

gently caress, coyo7e, you'd be less of an annoying poo poo if you actually said something that indicated you'd read the book.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 3, 2015

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

coyo7e posted:

When you put it like that, it does sound a bit formulaic.
On the other hand, this is a thread about Harry Dresden, a wizard PI.

Also, doing something like this:

Wolpertinger posted:

It's just a decent UF series

coyo7e posted:

(referring to the above quoted Wolpertinger post) Totally gritty urban fantasy

makes you look like a poo poo.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Instead of arguing about a book series I havent read and how it is obviously terrible based on a blurb and a cover image I just got the books and read 2 of them. They arent half bad, the concept is somewhat cliche but the writing isnt bad, definately early butcher levels at least, and the characters are pretty well written and the dynamic between them is pretty good.

Despite looking like generic trash from a casual glance I would happily recommend these to someone.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Sounds less young adult and more the heroes journey, which is a story archetype as old as humanity itself. Just because a book is about coming of age doesn't make it young adult.

One could argue that asoiaf started out so the heroes journey, and even early on it was apparent that it was not young adult.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Not gonna lie, you sound like a complete dipshit

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Gen V is a fun series. It isn't amazing, but it is readable and has almost nothing that makes me feel embarrassed. It's better than Storm Front and Fool Moon, which can be very embarrassing in a bunch of ways, but not better than Grave Peril onward, where embarrassing is reduced to just the occasional sex scenes or descriptions of women and overall quality skyrockets.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Veiled, the next Alex Verus novel, is out now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Using the same naming scheme as the Iron Druid series isn't really doing him any favors.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

As is Magic Shifts and Dark Ascension, the next Kate Daniels and Generation V novels respectively.

Fearless, which is Pax Arcana #3, is out next week.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

anilEhilated posted:

Using the same naming scheme as the Iron Druid series isn't really doing him any favors.

I find it really hard to remember the one-word titles in both series, and it's even harder for me to remember which events happened in which book because of it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Also His Father's Eyes, the second Justis Fearsson book. (Has anyone read the first?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

A day late, but yeah, Changes was fantastic. I know I'm not saying anything most of you don't already know, but the book just kept blowing me away with all the, well...changes...to the established series he kept hitting me with.

First his office is destroyed. Then his car. Then his house. Then his loving back. Then Susan! Then the entire Red Court! Then himself! It was a brilliant way of playing with my expectations, since with a book titled Changes, I was expecting some crazy stuff. But all that did was set me up for the shocking end. Seriously, he basically cleared the table of any crutches he may have been leaning on, so I have no idea where the series is going to go from here. Wonderful stuff. And I'm hard pressed finding characters that are still alive who didn't show up here. Michael, and um...Elaine...that's all I can think of at the moment. It felt like a goodbye before jumping into something new.

Wonderful book. Just wonderful. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Also, gushing about it to people yesterday, I convinced two new people to give the series a try, one of which is now half way through the first book. Gotta pay it forward.