Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Tommah posted:

i recycle the cartridge for my kaweco al sport because last i checked there's no converter that fits the pen

i blaze through cartridges in it so its very cost ineffective to keep buying new ones

Kaweco themselves have a tiny squeeze converter, Monteverde have a mini converter that iirc fits and I'm sure there's at least one more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Templar Ink is coming out with a revised version of their converter to fit Sports.

Personally though, I just reuse cartridges for my Kaweco, all the tiny converters look awful.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

howe_sam posted:

When you're getting a custom grind on a nib, what impact does the original tipping have on things? In other words, if I want a stub, will the line be finer if they start with a medium or a broad?

My gut says it depends on how much of the nib gets ground off, and not the tipping that's being worked on.

If you're working with a custom grind with tipping you're going to grind the shape of the tipping material to your final size. So the larger the iridium ball on the end, the broader you can have your final tip be.

You can also work with untipped nibs, just grinding down the steel to the width and shape that you want for italics. Here's a kinda crappy picture of one I did on a standard Noodler's steel nib in my Konrad:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Everything Burrito posted:

I save mine and fill 'em back up until it's too much effort and get a clean one. The only pens I put cartridges in are Pilots though so they're easy to come by.

Same here. I dislike the smaller pilot converters and the cartridges flow very well and hold a decent amount. I've been refilling them with custom ink and using a chopstick to recap them.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

CoolCat posted:

Who recycles their old cartridges?

I used to do this a lot for my Faber Castell. The converter dealt very poorly with ink sticking to the walls and bottom. As mentioned, you can only use each cartridge a few times before you have to chuck it.

Eventually I resolved the converter problem by cutting up a used cartridge to get at the little plastic ball, then shoving it into the converter to function as an agitator.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CoolCat posted:

I generally re-use mine until they stop sealing properly. It's easy to refill them with a blunt syringe.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

CoolCat posted:

I refill them whenever they dry up or get empty due to use.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CoolCat posted:

I have a pair of waterman c/fs

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Kerbtree posted:

Kaweco themselves have a tiny squeeze converter, Monteverde have a mini converter that iirc fits and I'm sure there's at least one more.

Coincidentally I was just looking into the Monteverde converter and saw a bunch of reviews from people that tried to use them in Kawecos but had no success. I kind of want a Kaweco sport but not if I have to buy cartridges.

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

Tommah posted:

i recycle the cartridge for my kaweco al sport because last i checked there's no converter that fits the pen

i blaze through cartridges in it so its very cost ineffective to keep buying new ones

The brass Kaweco AL sport looks awesome, but the lack of a convertor, and the obnoxiously large logo seem off putting.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

TopherCStone posted:

Coincidentally I was just looking into the Monteverde converter and saw a bunch of reviews from people that tried to use them in Kawecos but had no success. I kind of want a Kaweco sport but not if I have to buy cartridges.

Kaweco does have a squeeze converter for the Sport series. Also all the plastic/resin Sports are great for converting to eyedroppers.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

grack posted:

Kaweco does have a squeeze converter for the Sport series. Also all the plastic/resin Sports are great for converting to eyedroppers.

I've only had one eyedropper pen but it was annoyingly messy. Might try the squeeze converter though, thanks for the tip.

e: technically now I have another eyedropper. Found out that you can rinse out and reuse the Pilot Varsity. I had one near death on my desk, so I frankensteined it with a syringe and some black Noodler's.

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 1, 2015

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

My Man Shran posted:

I've been using my recently-arrived Eco all day and it's pretty spectacular. It feels cheaper yet somehow more durable than my 580s. The plastics are soft enough that I don't feel that I will crack anything by simply looking at it funny, and the unibody design seems to be a structural improvement over the Diamond series anyway.

The (EF) nib is hilariously wet, and has a little bit more feedback than I would like, but feels a lot better than 90% of my cheap chinapens were when they arrived. The piston is smooth and basically identical in function to other TWSBIs.

My biggest gripe is that the section feels very, very thin. I haven't measured it yet, but my guess is that it's a smidge thinner than the 580. Overall, though, I don't regret blowing $30 on this thing. Or, at least, I don't regret it in the same way as dropping $30 on what turned out to be a piece of poo poo knockoff Hero 100. Still waiting for another reply from this top-rated seller of fine Chinese writing goods explaining how "Real 14K gold nib" actually means "weird soft electroplated steel that can just sorta pass for gold in a strategically taken listing picture" before I file a paypal thing.

I like a $30 TWSBI. Now eat me alive.

I know I've been MIA from this thread for several months, but I too jumped on the TWSBI Eco and I got mine in today. So far I'm quite chuffed with it, I got a F and it writes super smooth. For $30 the pen seems excellent, but only time will reveal any QC issues it is bound to have. That being said, I'm glad to have a cheap pen as my new EDC. I'm still quite pissed at myself for losing my Lamy 2k, and am trying to find an entry-level modern gold nibbed pen to replace it with. I'm leaning towards a Sailor 1911L if I can find a deal on one, but I'm not sure what nib I want to get.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Aforementioned Pilot Varsity conversion is holding up well so far. No leaks, it starts up right away, and it's a great writer.

Now I'm looking at a Rotring Artpen in 1.1mm italic...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

So I got a package today:

First impression? This is a drat long pen, it's longer than a M805! Second impression, oh my god the 18k nib is ridiculously smooth.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

howe_sam posted:

First impression? This is a drat long pen, it's longer than a M805! Second impression, oh my god the 18k nib is ridiculously smooth.

Gotta love the classical Omas FP style but I find some of the newer Paragons to be much larger than before.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I have a Pilot Parallel in 1.5mm on the way! I need some italic in my life.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I ended up getting the Muji aluminum pen and a Lamy Safari, as prophesied weeks ago. But I have a question about my Metro: it leaks into the cap, big time; every time I uncap it, I end up with ink all over the tips of my fingers. I recently replaced the cartridge with a converter and filled it with some Noodler's Blue Black. Initially, I used the bulb converter that came with the Metro, but I hate that thing since I have no idea how much is being drawn into it, so I switched to a CON-50. The pen leaks no matter which one I used, so I'm wondering if the leak is to do with the converter or the ink itself. I want to figure it out before I run out of the ink in my Safari and switch to the converter. Anyone know what it is?

Also, writing with the Muji feels like using a mechanical pencil, if that makes any sense. I don't know if it's the nib or the ink that came with it, but it's rather pleasant anyway. Leaking won't be an issue because I've got a pack of Diamine Oxblood cartridges I'll be using, as it's going to be used as a grading pen and I want scary red ink for my students.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I ended up getting the Muji aluminum pen and a Lamy Safari, as prophesied weeks ago. But I have a question about my Metro: it leaks into the cap, big time; every time I uncap it, I end up with ink all over the tips of my fingers. I recently replaced the cartridge with a converter and filled it with some Noodler's Blue Black. Initially, I used the bulb converter that came with the Metro, but I hate that thing since I have no idea how much is being drawn into it, so I switched to a CON-50. The pen leaks no matter which one I used, so I'm wondering if the leak is to do with the converter or the ink itself. I want to figure it out before I run out of the ink in my Safari and switch to the converter. Anyone know what it is?

Also, writing with the Muji feels like using a mechanical pencil, if that makes any sense. I don't know if it's the nib or the ink that came with it, but it's rather pleasant anyway. Leaking won't be an issue because I've got a pack of Diamine Oxblood cartridges I'll be using, as it's going to be used as a grading pen and I want scary red ink for my students.

Check to make sure your nib and feed are fully seated and test with a different ink. Noodler's inks are notorious for prioritizing colors and features over good behavior.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

What would you recommend? I want a nice dark blue black, Private Reserve's Midnight Blues caught my eye but I don't want to get burned with something that won't behave.

I have a lot of that Noodler's though, I'm going to have to learn to live with it. Dang.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Magnus Praeda posted:

Check to make sure your nib and feed are fully seated and test with a different ink. Noodler's inks are notorious for prioritizing colors and features over good behavior.

I've never had any issues with Noodler's Ink in a Metro, and I have one right here filled with Heart of Darkness.

Bad Belted Kingfisher is a great Blue-Black as well.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Titus Sardonicus posted:

What would you recommend? I want a nice dark blue black, Private Reserve's Midnight Blues caught my eye but I don't want to get burned with something that won't behave.

I have a lot of that Noodler's though, I'm going to have to learn to live with it. Dang.

Iroshizuku Shin-Kai is my favorite blue-black.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Was helping a friend pick out a pen online (got a Metro, of course) and saw that there's new Metro designs coming out in November.

Pilot Metropolitian Retro Pop

Sorta want like half of those...

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Finally, a pen for chefs and a pen I can coordinate with my grandmother's kitchen!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been wanting a purple Metro since they came out with the animal print ones, but I hate animal print so I couldn't have one until now (err...November).

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Brightman posted:

Was helping a friend pick out a pen online (got a Metro, of course) and saw that there's new Metro designs coming out in November.

I'm so getting that houndstooth one.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Parker Quink Blue-Black is nice and well behaved. Diamine Blue-Black is ok, and the R&K Salix looks nice is an iron gall! R&K Verdigris is listed as green but looks like a dark blue-black on my screen. I have used other colors from those brands and found them well behaved. Lamy Blue-Black is also popular and the Lamy bottles make great ink wells.

I'm liking the Houndstooth and the Orange Grandma Linoleum Metros.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 6, 2015

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brightman posted:

Those are amazing looking!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Isn't Salix an iron gall ink?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Maybe? I just saw it among Goulet's most popular blue-black options. Good catch!

I've used their Cassis without issue, but I'm pretty sure that one is not an iron gall.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 6, 2015

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

pienipple posted:

I've used their Cassis without issue, but I'm pretty sure that one is not an iron gall.

It is not.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Yes it is. Modern iron gall inks really aren't an issue these days except for a small subset of pens.

If you want a good non-iron gall blue black that doesn't dry green try Pilot Blue Black.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Brightman posted:

oh my goddd

I was about to buy another 2-pack on Massdrop, but I'm glad I held out, because the new colours look so much better. I want the green, grey, and maybe orange. If Pilot was a perfect brand, they'd make broad nibs too, but alas...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

pienipple posted:

Parker Quink Blue-Black is nice and well behaved. Diamine Blue-Black is ok, and the R&K Salix looks nice is an iron gall! R&K Verdigris is listed as green but looks like a dark blue-black on my screen. I have used other colors from those brands and found them well behaved. Lamy Blue-Black is also popular and the Lamy bottles make great ink wells.

Verdigris definitely has a green tinge to it, especially under bright light or sunlight. It can pass for a blue-black a lot of the time though. It's an odd color, but like the other Rohrer & Klingner inks I've tried, it's very well-behaved.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Brightman posted:

I kinda like the grey and teal FPs. Not like I need anymore student pens ofc :v:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I have to say I'm really not a fan of Noodler's anymore. Many of the inks are beautiful, but they're astonishingly temperamental. The only one I can say I still like is Noodler's Black, but I like Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black much better.

Side note: can anyone take a few pics of the feed and nib of a Pilot Metro? I have a frankenstein idea, but I'm not sure if what I want to do will work.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

TopherCStone posted:

I have to say I'm really not a fan of Noodler's anymore. Many of the inks are beautiful, but they're astonishingly temperamental. The only one I can say I still like is Noodler's Black, but I like Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black much better.

Side note: can anyone take a few pics of the feed and nib of a Pilot Metro? I have a frankenstein idea, but I'm not sure if what I want to do will work.

I can when I get home around 7CST if no one else has.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

TopherCStone posted:

Noodler's makes some amazing colors but I've never been particularly happy with the way they flow, it seems to vary wildly from hard starter to "I jostled my pen and now there's ink everywhere wtf". It seems to be more of a problem in the broad nibs and fat italics I like best. My GF uses Heart of Darkness in a fine metro every day with no problems, I tried it in my medium metro and it was both too runny for my liking and didn't like the sugar cane paper I was using. In my fine kakuno it behaved much better.

It all comes down to preferences, and mine is for brands that perform very reliably in my juicy pens and aren't overly dye heavy like Noodler's and Private Reserve.

J. Herbin, De Atramentis, Diamine, and Rohrer and Klingner are my favorites for their very vivid colors and good properties.

If no one else has done it I still need to repair my purple metro, it wouldn't hurt to take it apart and give it a run through the ultra sonic while I'm at it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

pienipple posted:

Parker Quink Blue-Black is nice and well behaved.

It is excellently well behaved, but I wouldn't call it a dark blue-black. Maybe it's different with broader nibs, but in everything I've used it in, it'll go on quite dark, but then dry (usually very quickly, which is nice) to a fairly bright blue.

As an aside, I'm not entirely sure what the advice was for, but apparently adding a little water to noodler's inks helps calm them down a little. I think that's for countering nib creep and needlessly heavy flow. Possibly also to lower dry times, it seems people do so for a variety of reasons. Here's a thread on FPN with people's dilution recipes. So that's possibly a thing you could try out, if you have some empty vials or jars or something and feel like playing scientist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Here u go