Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Artificer posted:

Aren't they roughly twice as efficient as normal ones?

Yes. You then lose ~10% to the reinforcing.
Quantum solar panels have 10x the output of a standard panel, but cannot be reinforced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm messing around more with mechanics and electronics, but i'm a little stuck. How do I charge batteries and stuff with my solar/regular car? I'm a little lost.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm messing around more with mechanics and electronics, but i'm a little stuck. How do I charge batteries and stuff with my solar/regular car? I'm a little lost.

You've got a couple options. Put a rechargeable battery mod on items, install a recharging station on a cargo space in your car, turn the recharger on at the car controls, and dump the items into that space. This means they no longer accept regular batteries though. A few rechargeable UPSes and some UPS conversion mods work too.

Or migrate away from using battery powered appliances as much as possible. A vehicle welding rig, vehicle forge rig, and a foodco kitchen buddy all run off car power instead of batteries.

Or seek the holy grail that is the UPS CBM and run all your stuff off bionic energy forever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When you need power you smash up a table and eat the two by fours then spit the nails out at your enemies ptoo ptoo ptoo

Also I'm turning into a slimebeast and my character is so loving happy whenever she gets wet. I've never seen the :D emotion status before but there it is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gross I'm leaving a slime trail everywhere.

At least I can backtrack easily if I get lost.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Well this was the shortest game ever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Crash survivor right? Dont you start with a gun?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Yes and yes, but I got shredded in a few turns.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
^ Turrets are no joke.

Also the occasional military bot. My second built up character was deliberately seeking it out at night and was ignited for his troubles. In 10 short turns everything burned.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'm still pretty salty about losing that old character to a lighting glitch with turrets; that character (unwisely) melee'd down Chicken Walkers and Security Bots without much issue but it turns out that flicking the lights on halfway to a pair of military turrets was too much for them to handle and they died in one turn.

Playing with the current experimental I definitely understand peoples' complaints about the lighting system right now. I feel like I've got PTSD every time a vehicle enters the reality bubble with its lights shining on me, or the sun flicks on at dawn like a light-switch. Fussing with curtains and doors every time I want to read something isn't much fun either, but I'm sure I'll find an atomic lamp eventually if I don't get my solar rig up and running before then.

E: Holy gently caress, scratch another character. Are some Zombie Hulks double-secret elite champions in the latest experimental? My town was swarming with the fuckers for some reason, and I was having trouble pushing in to the town to scavenge because of them all. I was finally slowly wittling their numbers down until I found one who just would not die. I shot him, and shot him, and ended up resorting to my quarterstaff when he punched off most of my armor and equipment, with his launching strike recharging almost instantly by the time he caught up to me again. I couldn't stun him in melee and was already deep in pain from being launched three times in rapid succession, so the fourth and fifth launch-punches dispatched me pretty handily. SOMETHING must have been different, because I didn't even dent his health bar with the same amount of firepower I killed all his workout bros with, and his icon was a different color even though his name and description seemed to be the same.

E2: I must have misread something, seriously. Maybe I confused Hulks and Brutes briefly? Either way, that's a frustrating way to lose a character after having slogged through so many special zombies already. The world I'm trying in my experimental is FRUSTRATINGLY aggressive with special zombies compared to the world I played on the stable build, I shouldn't have to fight two dozen upgraded specials just to get access to two houses on the outskirts of town. And gently caress the upgraded corrosive zombies sniping me from a screen away while I'm knee-deep in their rear end in a top hat family already. :v:

E3: To give you an idea how bad the specials are in this world, the character had to run away from the first shelter they found to hide away in because it turned out to already have two zombie brutes in the vicinity despite being a dozen or more tiles from the nearest town. I ended up holing up in an apartment tower mostly because it was the only map tile I found with a building that didn't have any special zombies in it already, and I was just barely able to clear it over the course of a day or so with my starting character by kiting all the regular zombies inside. It was the only building I found that didn't have any special zombies, and probably the only map tile I found with less than %50 upgraded special zombies. At least if I use this world again I'll know to actually take the zombie threat seriously, which wasn't really an issue with any character by the second week of the stable version.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 2, 2015

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I'm having fun with the new (well old, but new to me) missions. I'm doing stuff at the ranch, but one of the Old Guard missions "Deal with informant" I just can't solve. The mission marks the informant as being in literally the same grid at the Old Guard representative, but I've run all around inside the base and outside it as well without finding anyone.

Is the informant someone like a merc or guard inside the base? If so, how can I tell he's the right person to whack?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The world I'm trying in my experimental is FRUSTRATINGLY aggressive with special zombies compared to the world I played on the stable build

The new experimentals have changed how zombie leveling works (or doesn't :v:). I've also noticed a huge amount of special zombies compared to stable even extremely early so it's probably better to reduce the leveling scale by quite a bit now.

Edit: Mansions in the experimentals are horrible murder traps (multiple zombie masters turning everyone and their grandma into specials).

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Speaking of, even though I'm a whole screen on the map away from where the last character died, this new character apparently just ran into the same, now injured, zombie hulk that murdered them. Seriously, what the gently caress is going on with spawns in the experimental right now. :v:

E: THE gently caress. No, sorry, that was a DIFFERENT severely injured Zombie Hulk, somehow, the original is still guarding my first character's corpse.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 3, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Got in a tussle with a Flaming Eye or some other horror, I imagine. Maybe a moose gave it a run for it's money. :v:

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Falcorum posted:

The new experimentals have changed how zombie leveling works (or doesn't :v:). I've also noticed a huge amount of special zombies compared to stable even extremely early so it's probably better to reduce the leveling scale by quite a bit now.

Edit: Mansions in the experimentals are horrible murder traps (multiple zombie masters turning everyone and their grandma into specials).

I think a lot of people are trying to turn this down by reducing the number for the "monster half-life scaling factor" option, which will only make them scale faster. The right thing is to either turn it up to make the scaling happen slower, or put it down to 0 to turn it off.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Apparently power armor prevents you from wearing scarfs, earplugs, or protective mouthguards, despite the fact that none of those items go in slots that the power armor occupies.

It seems like power armor is a massive pain in the rear end, especially since it prevents you from wearing any storage items except for helmet netting. If I want to run around and bop zombies as a massive robot man, I need to drag a cart behind me with all my loot, clothes, and tools. Obviously, this isn't very practical for places with staircases.

Should I just skip the power armor until/unless I find a hauling frame as well? That 214 armor is awfully tempting, though...

e: Also, what's the difference between the two power armor interface CBMs? I have both, but I only had enough skill to safely install the Mk. I.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 3, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Apparently power armor prevents you from wearing scarfs, earplugs, or protective mouthguards, despite the fact that none of those items go in slots that the power armor occupies.

It seems like power armor is a massive pain in the rear end, especially since it prevents you from wearing any storage items except for helmet netting. If I want to run around and bop zombies as a massive robot man, I need to drag a cart behind me with all my loot, clothes, and tools. Obviously, this isn't very practical for places with staircases.

Should I just skip the power armor until/unless I find a hauling frame as well? That 214 armor is awfully tempting, though...

e: Also, what's the difference between the two power armor interface CBMs? I have both, but I only had enough skill to safely install the Mk. I.

mk. ii probably uses less energy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What the hell is a wriggling teardrop? How will it kill my best character yet? I just found it by the side of the road. +4 Perception, but it's probably radioactive or summoning hulks or something.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Suspect Bucket posted:

What the hell is a wriggling teardrop? How will it kill my best character yet? I just found it by the side of the road. +4 Perception, but it's probably radioactive or summoning hulks or something.

Randomly generated artifact doohickey. No way to really tell what other poo poo it does, but the general rule is that the bigger the benefit, the bigger the drawback.

Also, I think power armour is a legacy mechanic from Whales that hasn't received much love since the new team took over, save for the implementation of the ~doubletech~ power armour interface, which is completely redundant when you consider that there's another bionic now that lets you act as a UPS. Which is what PA uses anyway.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh torso encumberment. How do you deal with it as a melee dude? When lootingexploring a place I carry along a ton of duffel and rucksacks, dropping them at the first sign of trouble so I can actually hit stuff. There's gotta be a better way! (footage of a giant 20 str brute whiffing strikes against a zombie child)

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Ugh torso encumberment. How do you deal with it as a melee dude? When lootingexploring a place I carry along a ton of duffel and rucksacks, dropping them at the first sign of trouble so I can actually hit stuff. There's gotta be a better way! (footage of a giant 20 str brute whiffing strikes against a zombie child)

Leg pouches and helmet netting - spread your storage around. Ankle holsters can hold knives, tasers, and all but the biggest pistols. Boots can hold knives! All of that significantly saves on space if you like carrying a lot of weapons around. That, plus the chest rig/survivor harness, cargo pants/light survivor suit (I personally don't like anything above light, feels too encumbering), and you should be fine even without a backpack. Just gonna have to do a few more trips when looting places.

My usual loadouts have me hovering around 40/120 volume - that's with some food, water (in canteen/waterskin), tons of ammo, a rifle, a short shotgun, and as many sidearms and knives I can fuckin' carry. :v: Still plenty of space left for loot, and I just store it all in my deathcar.

This setup leaves me with 15+15 torso encumberance - if I got rid of the drop pouch and took the rifle off, I'd be at 15, which I'm pretty sure rounds down to 10, which leaves me with just one point of melee penalty. And even with all that poo poo on, my character is a drat whirlwind of death with Krav Maga and this knife. :getin:

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

There is no way your guy is ever going to not know what time it is.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bilal posted:

He still needs the internal watch CBM though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bilal posted:

I figure it's like those outfits made out of belts, except it's made out of watches.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

He still needs the internal watch CBM though.

I've got it too. :v: And four pocket watches.

The fancy watches are for trade, the rest because...why the gently caress not? The world is over, nobody's gonna stop me! I'm like these WWII era Soviet soldiers

only turned up to 11

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How important is that encumberment + warmth figure? Or is just encumberment on its own what's important?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

SynthOrange posted:

How important is that encumberment + warmth figure? Or is just encumberment on its own what's important?

Warmth can slow you down, as can cold. Being slow can result in some of the more dangerous enemies punching the poo poo out of you before you can react sometimes. This is bad.

Encumbrance however will throw off your aim depending on where it is, and can also make you slow. Generally you want to not be warm or cold at all. Encumbrance is harder to keep low. Generally though as long as you aren't tanking your aim stats completely with encumbrance, e.g. a level 4 melee skill with a -4 melee penalty from encumbrance, you should be ok against most things.

Most things do not, however, include the harder enemies.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay, making a control laptop is practically cheating. You just need to be in range, not visual sight to hack into a robot. This includes turrets. Hack into a turret in a lab and you can deactivate it, picking up parts to make a vehicle turret and 100 rounds of 9mm ammo. Pretty sweet.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
For as much fiddly other little stuff as I do in this game comparing guns and min-maxing equipment, I find that doing much beyond the bare minimum to accommodate the encumbrance/warmth system is a huge pain in the rear end. I just put together a summer outfit, a winter outfit, and a gently caress-you-ice-lab outfit, and I frequently forget to even swap between them as necessary. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Okay, making a control laptop is practically cheating. You just need to be in range, not visual sight to hack into a robot. This includes turrets. Hack into a turret in a lab and you can deactivate it, picking up parts to make a vehicle turret and 100 rounds of 9mm ammo. Pretty sweet.

Ah so you're playing Watch_Dogs the roguelike.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

OwlFancier posted:

Ah so you're playing Watch_Dogs the roguelike.

Except the only characters to make us nauseous and uncomfortable are the projectile vomiting bile hulk thriller zombies.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

M.Ciaster posted:

Leg pouches and helmet netting - spread your storage around. Ankle holsters can hold knives, tasers, and all but the biggest pistols. Boots can hold knives! All of that significantly saves on space if you like carrying a lot of weapons around. That, plus the chest rig/survivor harness, cargo pants/light survivor suit (I personally don't like anything above light, feels too encumbering), and you should be fine even without a backpack. Just gonna have to do a few more trips when looting places.

My usual loadouts have me hovering around 40/120 volume - that's with some food, water (in canteen/waterskin), tons of ammo, a rifle, a short shotgun, and as many sidearms and knives I can fuckin' carry. :v: Still plenty of space left for loot, and I just store it all in my deathcar.

This setup leaves me with 15+15 torso encumberance - if I got rid of the drop pouch and took the rifle off, I'd be at 15, which I'm pretty sure rounds down to 10, which leaves me with just one point of melee penalty. And even with all that poo poo on, my character is a drat whirlwind of death with Krav Maga and this knife. :getin:

Probably totally irrelevant, but you can reassign [=] the letters for that bling to [space] to free up hotkeys for gear that might need to be swapped/repaired/etc.

e: also you can use an ATM to put all the cash on one card and dump all the rest.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

silentsnack posted:

Probably totally irrelevant, but you can reassign [=] the letters for that bling to [space] to free up hotkeys for gear that might need to be swapped/repaired/etc.

e: also you can use an ATM to put all the cash on one card and dump all the rest.

Oh yeah, I know! I just don't really use hotkeys that much aside from the canteen, and I keep forgetting to pop over to an ATM to do the latter. :v:

I wish the cash cards consolidated automatically - I guess it's not very realistic but it'd save needless tedium.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I run with a light survivor suit + light survivor harness + firefighter belt + drop leg pouches + two helmet nettings. That's around 70 storage with torso encumbrance less than 10. More if you can find a tactical dump pouch to replace the belt. I carry a duffel bag and equip it when I need to haul a lot of stuff home; with enough skill you can still thrash anything short of a hulk carrying that encumbrance.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

palamedes posted:

I run with a light survivor suit + light survivor harness + firefighter belt + drop leg pouches + two helmet nettings. That's around 70 storage with torso encumbrance less than 10. More if you can find a tactical dump pouch to replace the belt. I carry a duffel bag and equip it when I need to haul a lot of stuff home; with enough skill you can still thrash anything short of a hulk carrying that encumbrance.

I went the other way, I'm a walking tank with heavy survivor everything except light survivor gloves, plus a sleeveless survivor duster with kevlar and leather padding (the leather ended up not bumping me to next encumbrance level). I keep my arms and hands relatively unencumbered for archery. Shooting arrows point blank just means you don't miss. :getin:

E: With this setup, I can facetank 2 zombie hulks at the same time and shrug off being slammed into a wall 3x with over half my health left by the time it's over.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 3, 2015

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

bitcoin bastard posted:

I went the other way, I'm a walking tank with heavy survivor everything except light survivor gloves, plus a sleeveless survivor duster with kevlar and leather padding (the leather ended up not bumping me to next encumbrance level). I keep my arms and hands relatively unencumbered for archery. Shooting arrows point blank just means you don't miss. :getin:

E: With this setup, I can facetank 2 zombie hulks at the same time and shrug off being slammed into a wall 3x with over half my health left by the time it's over.

Yeah if you're dedicated to guns or archery you have an entirely different perspective on encumbrance. But dropping to half health is unacceptable to me; I've seen situations with tag team feral predators doing 50% damage and a shitload of pain and I do not want to open myself up to dying that way. Mobility and firepower seems like the best way to go unless you want to facetank turrets and clear labs without caution.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

With a little skill to offset the penalties, you could melee hulks just fine with ~3 torso encumbrance in the older experimentals. I used to rock heavy survivor gear and a slung rifle (just for show, never used the loving thing), and still variously hack, stab or batter them to death (depending on what weapon/MA styles I'd found) with very little trouble.

I'm not sure what it's like now, I haven't played since the most recent changes, but it's probably still worth experimenting with heavier equipment sets before dismissing them out of hand. Those seemingly big penalties might not turn out to be so significant.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

tooterfish posted:

With a little skill to offset the penalties, you could melee hulks just fine with ~3 torso encumbrance in the older experimentals. I used to rock heavy survivor gear and a slung rifle (just for show, never used the loving thing), and still variously hack, stab or batter them to death (depending on what weapon/MA styles I'd found) with very little trouble.

I'm not sure what it's like now, I haven't played since the most recent changes, but it's probably still worth experimenting with heavier equipment sets before dismissing them out of hand. Those seemingly big penalties might not turn out to be so significant.

You have a point there, I managed high encumbrance melee alright on a mutated cephalopod character. But the time penalties to attacking and moving are a problem if you're counting on stuns from your attacks. Being able to strike, stun, and run away to create space quickly is really valuable in a long fight like clearing a city block.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I just started in the greatest LMOE shelter ever, with a huge pile of guns that I was able to kill a zombear with and many zombie dogs. HOWEVER, I'm now freezing to death because it's winter. I lit a wooden stove in the shelter but it doesn't seem to be helping. The nearest thing is a mansion a good distance away, am I hosed? Do I have to put a poo poo load of stuff on the fire to make it warm the place up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can wear blankets to keep yourself completely covered except for your head. Smash the bed to get a shitton of rags and craft a couple of turbans and scarf. If you're out in the woods and have a lighter or other way to make fire you could also stop every so often to start a small fire to warm up.