Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

You already know this but I enjoy explicitly saying this. They are fully aware of this supposed hypocrisy; they are willfully being disingenuous because an appeal to free speech is a cynical rhetorical strategy.

Yup.

"I should not be arrested for saying this thing!" is about the weakest possible defence you can muster for a position.

On a lighter note... Not a single person even mentioning the height of absurdity that was Pee Wee- NOT Paul Reubens, but PEE-WEE HERMAN- telling us in a Very Serious Announcement about the Dangers of the Crack Cocaine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Paul Reubens probably had some differing opinions on narcotics.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They were sure that kids were smoking crack.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The British version of that song used to be a lot longer.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'll trade Florida for DC, yea.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I noticed it was 51 stars...

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'll trade Florida for DC, yea.

In a heartbeat, Eleanor Holmes Norton is a wonderful person.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sorry in advance for being that one contrarian goon, but screw it. This has been gnawing at me for the past couple of months.

I haven't regularly tuned in to Last Week Tonight for a couple of months because ever since the Snowden interview, the show format has gotten stale and predictable. It's still funny, but week in and week out, the format has almost always been as follows:
  • Five-to-ten minute roundup of world news.
  • An "And Now..." segue. Hardly ever anything else these days because it's cheaper to rattle off a bunch of news clips, and apparently HBO is skimping John on production money (sorta defeats the purpose of him going to HBO in the first place, but I don't call the shots).
  • A main story that can always be summed up as "America sucks because of X public policy." At least when they did that with domestic spying, they had one hell of an interview lined up. When this is the topic every week, not even someone as funny as John can sugarcoat things enough to get me to tune in.
John is too talented and funny to let this show stagnate. It's a shame that it kinda has. I don't see why he doesn't do a main story on, say, foreign elections- like he did in his very first episode with India- or another going-on (bonus points if he ties it in with American foreign policy) once in a while. Americans are pretty ignorant of the world around them. And I know he can't do a big effort story like Jeff We Can every week, but he hasn't done something big like that in a while. We're overdue for something that's not the same old thing, but with each passing week I lose faith that we're going to get that.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 3, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Y-Hat posted:

John is too talented and funny to let this show stagnate. It's a shame that it kinda has. I don't see why he doesn't do a main story on, say, foreign elections- like he did in his very first episode with India- or another going-on (bonus points if he ties it in with American foreign policy) once in a while.

Yeah, its pretty funny how after the show premiered, all the people in this thread were clamoring about Jon covering all the international stories mainstream networks won't touch, and then the show almost immediately restructured itself into this lazy outrage-of-the-week format designed to do nothing more than generate youtube views.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That's definitely a valid complaint, but I do feel I have personally gotten more out of the show with its new look at things like Municipal Fees, Property Seizures, and stuff like that.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

That song at the end was great. :allears:

Usually I don't care for the end performance thing, as I usually don't find them very funny, but this was definitely an exception.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Y-Hat posted:

Sorry in advance for being that one contrarian goon, but screw it. This has been gnawing at me for the past couple of months.

I haven't regularly tuned in to Last Week Tonight for a couple of months because ever since the Snowden interview, the show format has gotten stale and predictable. It's still funny, but week in and week out, the format has almost always been as follows:
  • Five-to-ten minute roundup of world news.
  • An "And Now..." segue. Hardly ever anything else these days because it's cheaper to rattle off a bunch of news clips, and apparently HBO is skimping John on production money (sorta defeats the purpose of him going to HBO in the first place, but I don't call the shots).
  • A main story that can always be summed up as "America sucks because of X public policy." At least when they did that with domestic spying, they had one hell of an interview lined up. When this is the topic every week, not even someone as funny as John can sugarcoat things enough to get me to tune in.
John is too talented and funny to let this show stagnate. It's a shame that it kinda has. I don't see why he doesn't do a main story on, say, foreign elections- like he did in his very first episode with India- or another going-on (bonus points if he ties it in with American foreign policy) once in a while. Americans are pretty ignorant of the world around them. And I know he can't do a big effort story like Jeff We Can every week, but he hasn't done something big like that in a while. We're overdue for something that's not the same old thing, but with each passing week I lose faith that we're going to get that.

Yeah I think that's fair. I don't know if I'd go as far to say the show is stagnating because of it, but I certainly see the criticism and agree that there should be more international stories.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

That song at the end was great. :allears:

Usually I don't care for the end performance thing, as I usually don't find them very funny, but this was definitely an exception.

You could tell the kids were excited to be able to sing "rear end in a top hat" on TV.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I'm definitely still enjoying it but yeah, I want more foreign stuff in there. It mostly gets relegated to the opener but there's a bunch of really interesting stuff happening in the world that i'd like to see the show's take on. I remember rumours about an episode on Israel back when the show was just starting. You know that would have been good.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
To be fair, this program was made for an American audience; and it's hard to have a "so what?" on a foreign story when the first answer Americans usually think of is "maybe we should bomb/invade them". The Indian election was pretty much a "THE MORE YOU KNOW" kind of thing. FIFA was an international story where the American justice system did end up intervening. The tobacco bit and the Uganda gay laws were international stories where American actors played a crucial role in screwing it up.

That said, I would have liked Oliver to give a comedic primer on the Greek crisis a few weeks back. I think it might have been helpful to understand where the American economy and policies are in relation to the rest of the world. And to encourage people to look at American policy in terms of austerity and anti-austerity politics.

I think a new criticism on the show could be that Oliver seems too determined to not be bound by the news cycle. That he wants his bits to "start" a conversation, rather than weigh in on an existing controversy. (And the one time he didn't, which was the police militarization bit, fell short of emphasizing the racial angle of the story.) In the abstract sense, he wants to be a voice of reason outside of the culture wars, etc. It might be understandable since the day-to-day news cycle stuff is kind of Jon Stewart's (and soon Trevor Noah) territory.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Echo Chamber posted:

To be fair, this program was made for an American audience; and it's hard to have a "so what?" on a foreign story when the first answer Americans usually think of is "maybe we should bomb/invade them".

With Oliver's audience, its less "bomb them" and more "what did we do wrong this time?" The lesson that being corrupt and stupid is a universal human trait and not another example of American exceptionalism is one that a lot of viewers of this show could desperately use.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
At least he finally seems to have cooled it with the loving mascots.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PerilPastry posted:

At least he finally seems to have cooled it with the loving mascots.

Now all he has to do is reign in the "did you think x was x? its actually y! no its z!"

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002

apatheticman posted:

Now all he has to do is reign in the "did you think x was x? its actually y! no its z!"

I'll never get tired of that. I loved this week's.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
That song was one of the best bits they've done thus far.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

As a non-American, the show has basically turned into my window into your hosed up world week after week. I know about most of the political stuff (such as D.C.'s status this week), but stuff like minimum sentences is news to me. I find this entertaining and I'm sorry if John does not replace reading a loving newspaper (website) every now and then anymore.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Katana Gomai posted:

As a non-American, the show has basically turned into my window into your hosed up world week after week. I know about most of the political stuff (such as D.C.'s status this week), but stuff like minimum sentences is news to me. I find this entertaining and I'm sorry if John does not replace reading a loving newspaper (website) every now and then anymore.

Yeah, its a shame we don't throw everybody in death camps like your wonderful country.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, its a shame we don't throw everybody in death camps like your wonderful country.

The fact that you watch the same shows I do (because I keep reading your dross in all the threads I follow) seriously worries me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mr. BT posted:

I'll never get tired of that. I loved this week's.

Nobody knows who the transportation secretary is!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Katana Gomai posted:

The fact that you watch the same shows I do (because I keep reading your dross in all the threads I follow) seriously worries me.
And yet you took the third desperate bait he's thrown out for attention? C'mon son.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
D.C. and Puerto Rico should become states.

M_Gargantua posted:

Nobody knows who the transportation secretary is!

Anthony Foxx. :cool:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

apatheticman posted:

no he doesn't.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I like those bits because they're a subtle reminder to fact check all of the stuff Oliver is saying.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I posted a few weeks ago about the lack of foreign stories. There's awesome and hilarious and terrifying poo poo happening around the world, but Oliver's focus has been exclusively american.

I really shouldn't be forced to watch al jazeera america if I want to get even the most basic coverage of foreign elections.

Come on Trevor Noah.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I posted a few weeks ago about the lack of foreign stories. There's awesome and hilarious and terrifying poo poo happening around the world, but Oliver's focus has been exclusively american.

I really shouldn't be forced to watch al jazeera america if I want to get even the most basic coverage of foreign elections.

Come on Trevor Noah.

In fairness, this isn't really a news show.

And Al Jazeera is pretty good most of the time.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002

Proposition Joe posted:

D.C. and Puerto Rico should become states.

Anthony Foxx. :cool:

It's Evelyn Sargent.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Plus half the show was about the House of Lords scandal. I genuinely thought it was the main feature because it lasted so long. It was great.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Narcissus1916 posted:

Are you really expecting a weekly half hour comedy show on HBO to be your primary source of global news?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Statehood might be over-reaching. Why isn't DC a district of one of the states it borders?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Technically the statue of liberty is in New Jersey but NYC pitches a goddamn fit if you ever bring that up. Imagine the same thing but for the nation's capital.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Apoplexy posted:

Statehood might be over-reaching. Why isn't DC a district of one of the states it borders?

When Congress decided on their capital, they wanted it to be a place that wasn't a part of any existing state, as they had feared that if the countries interests conflicted with the states, they would face armed protests like they did in Pennsylvania in 1783. Of course, such a thing wouldn't exactly be very relavent today, since armed mutinies aren't exactly commonplace anymore. But bureaucracy is slow, and congress really doesn't want to let go of the control they have on DC.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 3, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Veskit posted:

Yeah I think that's fair. I don't know if I'd go as far to say the show is stagnating because of it, but I certainly see the criticism and agree that there should be more international stories.
The humor isn't stagnating, but the format definitely is. John is at the top of his game when he's funny and creative. Jeff We Can was (IMO) the best thing he's done because it was funny, informative, and took a lot of effort to pull off. Now it's just going over a story that Americans may or may not know about, making jokes in between, and calling it a night. He can do a lot better. But again, I hear that HBO isn't giving him as much to work with, so that's a concern.

Echo Chamber posted:

To be fair, this program was made for an American audience; and it's hard to have a "so what?" on a foreign story when the first answer Americans usually think of is "maybe we should bomb/invade them".
That doesn't mean John shouldn't try. He definitely has the ability to make Americans care about something like the Greek crisis. If he can make us more knowledgeable about the world, that's a good thing. There's no downside to reporting on a story like the Indian elections just so people know about it. And don't forget, his story on net neutrality convinced millions of us to go on to the FCC website and voice their disapproval about letting it expire. Before then, that sort of activism was reserved for tech blogs and internet forums. Ultimately it didn't do much of anything because the cable companies get to live to fight another day over net neutrality and Time Warner Cable is again in the crosshairs for a merger, but it was a good show of power.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

One thing that John Oliver said in his Stern interview a few months ago was the possibility of them expanding the show to an hour long format in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBhTpWnm15o

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Apoplexy posted:

States' rights actually used to be more than a bullshit rallying cry to oppress women/gays/blacks/people who do not wish to be shot at the grocery store/etc, so the capitol needed to be somewhere it wasn't beholden to any given state.

More contemporarily relevant, Maryland doesn't want it back; we already have one disastrous urban hellscape we're ill-equipped (and unwilling) to deal with.

DC is wholly incompatible with VA even as much as NOVA is very slowly dragging the rest of that backwards shithole leftward.

Anyway, I actually do kind of agree that the formula is getting stale. The jokes, when they come, are still great, but I'm kind of sick of the main segment being "here's yet another lovely thing about america you already know about and can do nothing about." By about 2/3 through the show I'm waiting for it to end because I've been outraged-out about the topic for 10+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

IRQ posted:

Anyway, I actually do kind of agree that the formula is getting stale. The jokes, when they come, are still great, but I'm kind of sick of the main segment being "here's yet another lovely thing about america you already know about and can do nothing about." By about 2/3 through the show I'm waiting for it to end because I've been outraged-out about the topic for 10+ years.

Except most people don't actually know about that topic, and that's why it's a thing worth talking about.

• Locked thread