Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Smith was nice to a Pakistan player once therefor is not captain material.

He should be kicked out of the country even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
How hosed would we be if Smith had continued on his expected trajectory and become a mediocre player?

And even though he's become good, I wonder if it will be a permanent thing or if he'll get found out before too long.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I still occasionally go back and watch some of Smiths early games and wonder how that person who looked like he'd never held a bat before turned out like this.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Like AB de Villiers, Smith figured out that on most modern pitches you can walk across your stumps at will and trust that the ball isn't going to do anything too unexpected.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Some of the Aus media is talking about dropping Hazlewood for Siddle at Trent Bridge. Christ

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That would be a pretty silly thing to do. Trent Bridge isn't what it used to be.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42zXIkIe0-k

Go to 9:50. That was Smith's second test. He's come a long way

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
All that video does is make me sad about the state of pakistani cricket that such a world class talent has been wasted for 2 years and will now probably never achieve what he was capable of.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

serious gaylord posted:

All that video does is make me sad about the state of pakistani cricket that such a world class talent has been wasted for 2 years and will now probably never achieve what he was capable of.

also kamran akmal was keeping like a pro

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
What happened to Alex Doolan? He looked alright.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

-Spiffy- posted:

Smith was nice to a Pakistan player once therefor is not captain material.

He should be kicked out of the country even.

Nah, he's a true blue Aussie cricketer, don't worry. http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/867803.html

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'd completely forgotten that Pakistan and Australia played that random series in England. It actually kinda makes sense for Pakistan to play some games in England since more people probably go to games there than in the UAE - I'd imagine that a Test series in England between Pakistan and India would be very profitable for everyone

serious gaylord posted:

Its been longer than that, wasn't it the 2010 series in which all the match fixing poo poo was revealed? That makes it worse admittedly: Pakistan wouldn't be a great team if he hadn't gotten involved in that poo poo but they wouldn't be as terrible as they are now. Amir's the only person involved in match fixing that I've felt sorry for: the others all seemed to be doing it as established players to line their own pockets while he was coerced by his captain into doing that poo poo.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Auditore posted:

What happened to Alex Doolan? He looked alright.

He was very mediocre during the last Shield season.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Pakistan are ranked #3 in Tests.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

IceAgeComing posted:

a Test series in England between Pakistan and India would be very profitable for everyone

And then follow it up with a series in Australia, like some other kind of semi-biannual series. Holy poo poo that would be awesome.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Seams posted:

Pakistan are ranked #3 in Tests.

lol if you think the rankings tell you anything about how good a team is

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Zimbabwe better watch out tonight, smashing Ish around effortlessly like that only makes him mad.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Lionel Richie posted:

Like AB de Villiers, Smith figured out that on most modern pitches you can walk across your stumps at will and trust that the ball isn't going to do anything too unexpected.

Correct

I was watching highlights of the Australia/RSA series before our test summer and its quite interesting watching Smith and AbDV bat. They don't care where the stumps are so will do things like walk outside off to lob the ball to the onside to beat a packed off side field.

Crazy.

Plenty of batsmen have walked across the stumps. Katich, Amla, Steve Waugh to a smaller degree but very few test quality batsmen simply disregard where their stumps are.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I would think as they age getting bowled and LBW will become big issues for them quite quickly as they start to lose that amazing hand-eye coordination.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

De Villiers is 31 which means he should be reaching that point soonish. Both Smith and De Villers do bat normally most of the time I suppose. Smith is actually quite similar to Amla in technique.

It's more when they are chasing runs or set. Smiths second innings at lords for example or ABdV batting in odi cricket against the windies. That's what separates those two from say Maxwell.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

IceAgeComing posted:

lol if you think the rankings tell you anything about how good a team is

They've still generally been good under Misbah though, at least in Tests and at their adoptive home.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Writing about the Aussie middle order atm. None of them have crossed 100 runs for the series. Starc and Johnson have out scored all of them. Also, Clarke's record is identical to Watson and MMarsh combined - 94 runs @ 18.8.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Can't believe NZ let these chumps chase down 300 the other night, must've been a bad dream.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Shmoses posted:

Writing about the Aussie middle order atm. None of them have crossed 100 runs for the series. Starc and Johnson have out scored all of them. Also, Clarke's record is identical to Watson and MMarsh combined - 94 runs @ 18.8.

contents of your writing so far:

"gently caress

gently caress, gently caress this

gently caress"

good luck on getting your piece finished by deadline

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Wait, we have a goon cricket journo?

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
That's a decent century from a no.7

(doesn't count though, against NZ etc etc blah blah)

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I haven't been watching but it looks a good innings

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Spedman posted:

I would think as they age getting bowled and LBW will become big issues for them quite quickly as they start to lose that amazing hand-eye coordination.

Ponting is the prime example of someone who relied a lot on reflexes declining massively over time. I think in his prime in the mid 00s he averaged something like 70 over the space of 3 or 4 years, the decline was extraordinary really. Kallis meanwhile with his granite technique was as good as ever at 36/37.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Noxin of Shame posted:

That's a decent century from a no.7

(doesn't count though, against NZ etc etc blah blah)

He was an opener during the WC

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I haven't been watching but it looks a good innings

Yeah he played well but loving hell our bowling and especially fielding has dropped off after the world cup and our build up series. Also I think inane golf chat is the absolute peak of poo poo cricket commentary.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IceAgeComing posted:

I'd imagine that a Test series in England between Pakistan and India would be very profitable for everyone

Pakistan/Bangladesh would probably be pretty profitable as well, and require giving less of the money to the BCCI.

Nah, can't go promoting other teams in England and risk growing the game, lets get back to planning how we can fit five more ODIs into the tour calender.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

iirc no fucker turned up the time they hosted Pakistan v Australia and they lost millions. Plus it was around the time of the spot fixing thing and tit for tat insults were being thrown around so the general consensus was gently caress em

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Hyperriker posted:

contents of your writing so far:

"gently caress

gently caress, gently caress this

gently caress"

good luck on getting your piece finished by deadline
Yeah basically it says 'yo this some bullshit'

webmeister posted:

Wait, we have a goon cricket journo?
Yeah mate my name is Gideon Haigh, maybe you've heard of me?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lionel Richie posted:

Ponting is the prime example of someone who relied a lot on reflexes declining massively over time. I think in his prime in the mid 00s he averaged something like 70 over the space of 3 or 4 years, the decline was extraordinary really. Kallis meanwhile with his granite technique was as good as ever at 36/37.

Obviously attacking batsmen are more vulnerable to aging. Ponting was pretty stubborn about the way he batted and refused to change. A bit like Viv Richards. All batsmen will come to that point where they will need to cut out shots and change the way they do things to survive.

That he said he averaged a little over 60 between 99 and 08. He scored over 9500 runs in the period with 35 centuries. So it wasn't a couple of years it was a decade of world class batting. He had TWO 1500 run years.

His fall away wasn't great like high 30s for the last few years but he could stroll back into the Australian side now at 6 and not do any worse.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lionel Richie posted:

iirc no fucker turned up the time they hosted Pakistan v Australia and they lost millions. Plus it was around the time of the spot fixing thing and tit for tat insults were being thrown around so the general consensus was gently caress em

I'd completely forgotten that ever happened.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nice to see that Kent are continuing their "good at T20, reasonable at 50 over, shite at first class" season.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
I have a question...

Why the gently caress is Chris Lynn not playing for Australia? He's 25 and seems to be the only batsman who can be justified being given a debut baggy green at this point.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

MacDougall posted:

I have a question...

Why the gently caress is Chris Lynn not playing for Australia? He's 25 and seems to be the only batsman who can be justified being given a debut baggy green at this point.

Because they've hit quota for weird pencilneck lookin dudes

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

He would be in the selectors minds. He didn't play a lot of cricket last year to be honest. I think he might have been injured going into the season. I just checked his stats and he did score 400 odd runs at 60 which is pretty good but he had one innings of 250.

Cameron Bancroft is coming along nicely. He is very young (22) but scored about 900 runs @ about 48. He also scored a 50 and 150 in the Australian A tour of India. Joe Burns obviously has potential but I am unsure of him. He just seems to be blah a lot of the time.

We have sunk to such depths that honestly Callum Ferguson might not be a bad go. Yeah he averages under 40 over his career but he had a good season last year and has shown he can handle international level bowlers. Looking at last years stats if I exclude Smith and Rogers just to include fringe players the top ten first class run scorers are

Voges 1358 runs @ 105 (old and in huge danger of being dropped)

Klinger 1000 runs @ 58 (old and victorian)

Marsh 960 runs @ 56 (I have a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny bit of hope he might fill a gap for a few years and finally reach some of the potential that people have seen in him for some reason)

Joe Burns 939 runs @ 49 (i am pretty sure he will get another run soon. I am not that convinced of his ability. I could be wrong)

Cameron Bancroft 896 @47 (looks talented)

Callum Ferguson 836 @ 52 (just has never scored runs at first class cricket. He is 30 now so a good season next year he might get his shot.)

Ed Cowan 815 @ 48 (he has had a million chances playing for Australia. He isn't a bad cricketer but he is almost 34 and never really scored good enough for test cricket. Plus he reads)

Marcus Stoinis 785 runs @ 49 (one to watch. He is quite talented I reckon and he is starting to put together first class cricket. Does not score enough centuries for my liking but since moving up the order for Victoria he has come along nicely. Would like to see him have another good year in FC cricket though)

Peter Nevill 764 runs @ 76 (He is pretty good. Again he has a few issues in his game. He knicked the ball down the leg side THREE times in one test which is insane but I think he is a pretty good batsman. To the point if he settles in the side and can average somewhere around the 40-45 mark another keeper like Handscomb could come in. I am recommending way too many victorians)

Rob Quiney 687 runs @ 43 (never really got a chance in fairness but at 32 and a FC average under 40 was he really worth giving a bunch of chances to)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Zimbabwe's bowling just don't have the experience to do anything in this game.