Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Actually maybe I'm wrong:

https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/628259358296530944

quote:

Prepare to marvel tomorrow at #Gamescom. Here's a quick reminder. #OnlyEmbersRemain
https://t.co/t2gdwVo1Ex

That was yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

quote:

#onlyembersremain

I am still psyched for DS3 and all, but it seems weird that they are focusing on this kind of thing considering that the previous Dark Souls games were about rooting through the remains of a once great civilization. And 3 seems to be about the remains of the remains of Anor-Londo.

At this rate Dark Souls 5 is gonna be about the heat death of the universe or something.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Isn't one of the lines from the opening videos of dark souls 1 is:

And soon the flames will fade. And only embers will remain....

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ineffiable posted:

Isn't one of the lines from the opening videos of dark souls 1 is:

And soon the flames will fade. And only embers will remain....

"But soon the flames will fade and only Dark will remain. Even now there are only embers, and man sees not light, but only endless nights."

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I really don't see where they could go with the story and have it be congruous with the first two games at all, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

I really don't see where they could go with the story and have it be congruous with the first two games at all, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

Apparently poo poo is getting so bad that they're having to resurrect previous Lords of Cinder to keep the flame going, and your player character is just sick of it all and trying to snuff the First Flame out entirely. I wish I could remember where I read this or if it's even correct.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 4, 2015

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3B4egZ6UwI

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

This looks so Demon's Souls it hurts. Is that Fluted Armor and Kite Shield 2.0 I see?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Alabaster White posted:

Apparently poo poo is getting so bad that they're having to resurrect previous Lords of Cinder to keep the flame going, and your player character is just sick of it all and trying to snuff the First Flame out entirely. I wish I could remember where I read this or if it's even correct.

Even if that is correct, judging by the previous Dark Souls and Bloodborne, where your character starts off with a purpose but slowly loses all track of that by the end, the player is Dark Souls 3 is going to start off doing that but by the end just become a mindless mass murdering red phantom rear end in a top hat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the narrator saying about lords? I can't make it out. Also is that guy holding a bonfire sword?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

I accept this videogame.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That's some kind of new age Balder Knight at 1:15?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Fuuuuck I was so excited about wanting to see every detail early, but I had to panic-alt-F4 out of that trailer so I won't spoil myself anything

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the narrator saying about lords? I can't make it out. Also is that guy holding a bonfire sword?

I can't make out that last word either. Dreams? Feelings? :shrug:
Also yeah, one of the major gameplay changes is that you plug your own bonfire swords into corpses to make your own bonfires, in something called the 'ritual system'. You do invasions and stuff through it too, I think.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
making shortbows usable quickly owns

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
1:21 what a sproingy roll
1:32 medium roll

Considering these are the things I noticed besides the bell maiden + 1000 old monks I think I play these games too much.

Roctavian posted:

Fuuuuck I was so excited about wanting to see every detail early, but I had to panic-alt-F4 out of that trailer so I won't spoil myself anything

Spoiler: giant stuff attacks you with giant weapons. :v:

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 4, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alabaster White posted:

I can't make out that last word either. Dreams? Feelings? :shrug:
Also yeah, one of the major gameplay changes is that you plug your own bonfire swords into corpses to make your own bonfires, in something called the 'ritual system'. You do invasions and stuff through it too, I think.

That's a cool twist on the bonfire mechanic. Have a few sparse set ones here and there, then leave it to the player to decide where they might need to add additional ones, with a limited amount of swords, or maybe only one bonfire sword and you pick it up and move on when you're ready.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Trailer looks amazing. It's Bloodborne-fast with quick bows, shields, armor weights with different rolls, and presumably that classic Dark Souls weapon variety. It's everything I could've hoped for. Hype train fully engaged.

Well, actually, if they can make magic actually fun and dynamic to use and not just standing back shooting lasers, it'll be even better.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 4, 2015

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

that looks perfect and i am mad i am not playing it right now

Orv
May 4, 2011
I can't wait to loathe half of the content in this game a year from now while loving the other half.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

It looks like bloodborne mixed with demon's souls :allears:

Oh god I want it so bad.

Alabaster White posted:

This looks so Demon's Souls it hurts. Is that Fluted Armor and Kite Shield 2.0 I see?

YESSSSS

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Yeah, was just coming to post that the character looks so much more mobile than in previously DS games. Very Bloodborne-y in that regard, and the horror/gross factor seems cranked up for bosses.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
After seeing the trailer for dark souls 3 I really want to play dark souls 3 anyone else want to play dark souls 3???

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

After seeing the trailer for dark souls 3 I really want to play dark souls 3 anyone else want to play dark souls 3???

I'm working on the time machine now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That is definitely a balder knight 2.0

The zombie dudes remind me of the messengers from bloodborne.

The boss reminds me of Dragon God from DeS. The way he's like looming over you and you're running around an arena.

Whats that ghost lady with the big fire-brand?

And what is that armored rat-beast thing that uses a giant mace?

loving awesome. :krad:

Alabaster White posted:

I'm working on the time machine now.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Whats that ghost lady with the big fire-brand?

I'm 99% sure that's the first boss mentioned in a lot of prerelease stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

I'm 99% sure that's the first boss mentioned in a lot of prerelease stuff.

Looks loving sweet. Pretty different too.

"first boss" like "first" boss, or just the first boss they've shown?

With BB they showed us a ton of Paarl at first and then he ended up being an optional boss from halfway through the game.

Maybe firebrand lady is an optional side-boss too to avoid spoiling main bosses? Or not.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

cool skeloking

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

The giant skeleton face is very spooky. I am full of spook.

VVVV--Do you mean the shelf or am I missing something?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Just to reiterate this is the coolest reused asset of all time (e: wall textures kind of look like iron/metal more than stone, but are arranged like stone)

Also the Gamescom demo setup, what is a MiFCOM?

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 4, 2015

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Set the mind flayer's bell as your ring tone and alarm other Demon's Souls players around you.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
^^^ German PC building people.

Also if this is plays more like Bloodborne that makes me happy since that's the one souls-esque game I probably won't get to play.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes, indeed.
As they say, of pilgrimage:
The fire fades.
And the lords, have no thrones.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
1080/uncompressed
http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_dark_souls_iii_gc_gameplay_reveal-35231_en.html

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Satorr posted:

Yes, indeed.
As they say, of pilgrimage:
The fire fades.
And the lords, have no thrones.

Up until the end I half-thought they chopped up the first game's intro to get that voiceover.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

HMS Boromir posted:

Story?

I like the fast roll but at the same time I know faster motion=falling to my death much more. Imagine DS if it controlled like a valve game

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

i know it's cool to be above caring about story in games and all but dark souls lore owns and i'll fight you

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

I saw this in the trailer and I couldn't contain my skelesmile

Welcome to the real hype souls

Orv
May 4, 2011
Predicting that boss will be either ridiculously easy or beyond bullshit. No middle ground.

Alternatively Frampt analogue is just a skelepal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hang in there, skeleton!

• Locked thread