Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Haven't had that many on PC. A few weird crashes, a couple of cases where certain actions broke (e.g. couldn't run) requiring a restart, and the achievement glitch from patch 1.07. No more than most other games.

On PS4 I've had almost none. I had a graphical glitch in the inventory screen once, a display glitch on the crafting screen once (related to the new filters), and I've had about 5 errors where the ps4 popped up a thing that said there'd been an error and the app needed to close. I think I had one other game every do that. But, due to some combination of PS4 and Witcher capabilities, I never lost any progress at all from these crashes. I was exactly (within a few feet) of where I was when the game crashed.

I have a few instances of buffering. Like running around downtown Novigrad or something and the game will stop, everything will blur slightly and a spinning icon appears in the lower right, for not more than 2 seconds. This is annoying when it happens, but it rarely happens and seems to happy mostly if the app has been running for several days. So I have no complaints. Two of my coworkers have it digital copies (mine is a disk) on The XBox One, and they both have terrible problems, one with constant graphical glitches in the inventory screen, and the other with the app even starting successfully.

Oh and the Skellige's Most Wanted quest is broken, which is the only thing I'm actually upset about, because it's such a neat quest I really want to see the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory
When you get the chance to return to Kaer Morhen, I realized the major thing that I think leads the good storytelling of TW3 - since characters actually matter, they can show instead of telling. Unlike almost every other RPG I've played, characters don't run up to you, announce what type of person they are, give you their backstory, and then disappear when that mission is over.

When Lambert showed up I felt like "wow they sure made him come off like a huge rear end in a top hat", and then later in Kaer Morhen when they're trekking along one of the Trials paths that kids died on which Lambert blames daddy Vesemir for, my wife leans over and goes "Wow I think that guy has PTSD." I was like "yeah, I didn't think about it but you're totally right" . . . and if this were Mass Effect he would have literally walked up to me and been like "I'm angry because I have PTSD from when some people I knew died."

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Emhyr was gone and Pavetta was dead before Geralt went back to Cintra. And Geralt didn't try to take Ciri. He chickened out at the last minute after talking to her Grandmother.

I didn't think it was chickening out, it was more like "gently caress this stupid fate poo poo". Thank God she turned out to be Something More :3:.

Also, the short story collections at the very least should be required reading for this thread, it's silly how often the same things get asked.

Snak posted:

This reminds me of another bit from The Last Wish.

In the story "The Edge of the World", Geralt and Dandelion are riding on this cart through farmland, and Dandelion is telling Geralt all this stuff about farming that he thinks he learned during his time at Oxenfurt, and when he gets done, the farmer that's driving him is like "well the only right thing you said was that the corn is tall here".

Incidentally, this is the story where they encounter a "Devil" (which turns out to be a Sylven). Of course, I don't think it's an accident that in Wild Hunt, when you ride to the edge of the map it says "You have reached the edge of the world, only devils play here".

That's also the story where it turns out elves can't even do agriculture anymore and need to steal poo poo from the humans while still acting all high and mighty.
gently caress elves.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GrossMurpel posted:

That's also the story where it turns out elves can't even do agriculture anymore and need to steal poo poo from the humans while still acting all high and mighty.
gently caress elves.

It's pretty funny how Elves are literally the worst.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Aen Seidhe never knew agriculture. They used magic for that poo poo. But they don't have access to most of that knowledge anymore, among the little bands surviving in the Blue Mountains, so they had to try to learn how. The "settled" elves in the ghettos and reservations are different in that regard.

The arrogance of some of the elves seems a pretty believable reaction to their defeat and marginalization, to me. Toruviel gets better later on, at least. gently caress Yaevinn forever though. Not a single redeeming characteristic.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Aen Seidhe never knew agriculture. They used magic for that poo poo. But they don't have access to most of that knowledge anymore, among the little bands surviving in the Blue Mountains, so they had to try to learn how. The "settled" elves in the ghettos and reservations are different in that regard.

The arrogance of some of the elves seems a pretty believable reaction to their defeat and marginalization, to me. Toruviel gets better later on, at least. gently caress Yaevinn forever though. Not a single redeeming characteristic.

Also, when you think about, Elves are super long-lived, right, so it's not like this problem would be with humans. The plenty of the elves that are really bitter about the whole thing have probably been alive since before the fall of their civilization (I don't know this, though).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Most of the young elves are dead, so yeah, that happens to some extent.

That's also why they're on the verge of extinction. They're practically immortal, but male or female, they're only fertile for a few decades. Most of the young ones died in Aelirenn's war, and now they're having a horrible population crisis.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah I get you now.

He's different in the games from the Last Wish but I don't think that's poor writng. He's a different person by the end of the books as well. In some parts of Sword of Destiny he's almost an overgrown teenager. He becomes a stronger person over time, starting from when he gets Ciri. Same thing with Yennefer.

I always assumed that was a deliberate writing choice in the books. The changes the Witchers go through involve a lot of hormone manipulation even before their bodies are ripped apart and put back together from the inside, and they go through this in their teens. To me Geralt felt like someone who had been stuck at age 14 for the last 50 years; he has life experience but is still deeply immature, and both fuel his cynicism.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I made another boring video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aB1AVEAO60
Fast travel with boats is... interesting. Not to sound clickbaity, but the very end really is the funniest part. The rest of it was just me testing the situation for science.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Servetus posted:

I always assumed that was a deliberate writing choice in the books. The changes the Witchers go through involve a lot of hormone manipulation even before their bodies are ripped apart and put back together from the inside, and they go through this in their teens. To me Geralt felt like someone who had been stuck at age 14 for the last 50 years; he has life experience but is still deeply immature, and both fuel his cynicism.

I think it's more social ostracism and childhood trauma leading to him being poo poo at relating to people and getting stuck up his own rear end like a 15 year old goth kid. Blaming it on the mutations is a crutch he uses and convinces himself to believe. Yennefer gets pissed at him whenever he does that.

Of course, she's got her own, not entirely different issues.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mean, just the fact that they can only really relate to other Witchers from a young age would have a big effect on someone's personality. They're almost like child soldiers. (Please note that I said "almost" and that obviously there are lots of differences between Witchers and child soldiers)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GrossMurpel posted:

I didn't think it was chickening out, it was more like "gently caress this stupid fate poo poo". Thank God she turned out to be Something More :3:.

Also, the short story collections at the very least should be required reading for this thread, it's silly how often the same things get asked.

gently caress elves.

The bit where you help an elf and she tears into you for being a dumbass do-gooder is hilarious though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm still sad there is nothing to the Rosa Var Attre mini-side quests other than swordplay.

Should've had some more swordplay :quagmire:

The Sharmat posted:

Dandelion did basically single handedly make Geralt a sex symbol through his ballads actually, yeah.

Don't forget that Geralt has banged 3 out of the 5 sorceresses(Yen, Triss, Fringilla in the books) at the end game quest. You can even overhear them joking about who he will bang next.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Geralt became a sex symbol long before that. Also most people don't know he's banged Fringilla. Including Yen.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I bet there's a super rare Geralt Gwent card that just removes a bunch of cards out of play.

:quagmire:

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Did anyone else run out of food fighting the final bosses & wind up beating them BLIND DRUNK as Beer & Vodka became your only option to recover Vitality? Was a bit more amused than I should have been at that. Just finished it tonight after trying to slow down and spread it out as long as possible, loved this game so much. Will replay it before the DLC comes out for sure.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Uh so I went nuts and finished all the Skellige ?s. The problem though is the game map still says I have one!

I turned off all filters to try and see it better but there literally is no ? On the map despite what the legend says. Anyone else experience this?

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Ularg posted:

I bet there's a super rare Geralt Gwent card that just removes a bunch of cards out of play.

:quagmire:

nice

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I don't think Witcher 3 should be considered as one of the top games of all time - I think Witcher 3 Enhanced / Ultimate Edition or whatever should be considered for it. And if Platinum got to revamp the combat engine, it'd probably win outright by default.

The fact there's a great deal of opportunities to make the game hilarious comedy material only adds to how serious it can be. There's a number of situations where Geralt can wake up without any clothes on and if you get to certain points without putting your gear on, you'll see Geralt in very serious conversations with just his shorts on. First time I was going through the scene with Uma going through the Trial of the Grasses I had gotten lazy by not putting his clothes back on and at 3 am I was busting out laughing AND cringing during one of the most brutal scenes in the game (and I might argue in any game I can remember).

BisonDollah posted:

Did anyone else run out of food fighting the final bosses & wind up beating them BLIND DRUNK as Beer & Vodka became your only option to recover Vitality? Was a bit more amused than I should have been at that. Just finished it tonight after trying to slow down and spread it out as long as possible, loved this game so much. Will replay it before the DLC comes out for sure.
I was about level 34 when I got to the last few fights and with my build and gear setup I killed every boss on my first attempt on BBB difficulty.

Doing fights while Geralt's completely drunk off his rear end is probably the ultimate nightmare mode of Witcher 3. Otherwise, I'm going to try to beat every boss and contract monster in Witcher 3 on Death March with only a blackjack, no signs, no mutagens, no potions, no bombs, no armor, and no skills slotted. I was thinking I could try beating some bosses by punching them, but you will do no damage and/or become stunned and therefore one-shot in a moment following that making them unbeatable without using a weapon or signs.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

necrobobsledder posted:

I don't think Witcher 3 should be considered as one of the top games of all time ...

Crowd frantically looks amongst themselves... is this guy serious? Who the gently caress does he think he is?

necrobobsledder posted:

... I think Witcher 3 Enhanced / Ultimate Edition or whatever should be considered for it.

A sigh of relief, and the crowd applauds

necrobobsledder posted:

...and if Platinum got to revamp the combat engine, it'd probably win outright by default.

Riotous applause amongst cries of "I'm gay!"

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Ending Chat: Is "Ciri becoming a witcher" considered the best ending? It's the one I got and between that one and her becoming Empress I feel like the former is by far the happier ending.

I'll probably wait for NG+ before giving it another shot and maybe play a little more focused. It took me 158 hours to beat with many breaks so I didn't feel quite the urgency in the main quest as I probably should. By the end I had only a couple Gwent quests, the Skellige fist fights & horse races, treasure hunts, and the Missing Miner's contract - all other quests I had found I completed. What a fantastic game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Playing Witcher 3 makes me wish the next Elder Scrolls game was coming out soon. While Witcher 3 definitely wins on overall prettiness, the writing and quest design front, some things were done much better in Skyrim:

- Much better in-game map function. The Skyrim 3D map made it very easy to get a "feel" of the topography of the world, in contrast with Witcher 3's zero-topography map.
- Few generic NPCs. Almost every NPC in Skyrim (Apart from guards etc) was named, and most had at least some backstory, in contrast with Witcher 3's hundreds of "Villager" NPCs.
- More varied architecture. Sure, there was a lot of copy-pasting in both games, but the cities/towns of Skyrim often had building interiors exclusive to that region.
- Better towns/villages. In Witcher 3, there's basically Novigrad, Oxenfurt, Kaer Trolde, and several dozen interchangeable villages. Nothing in Skyrim compares to the scale of Novigrad, but all towns have more personality than the Witcher villages.
- Better dungeons and caves. Almost all of the caves in Witcher are like one corridor, then a big chamber. There are like, half a dozen actual complex dungeons in the game. In contrast, in Skyrim the average cave/dungeon was pretty long, and even though they were samey due to all the prefabs, it felt like you actually was going deep underground in them.
- More interesting loot. Apart from the Witcher School gear, there's not really much unique and interesting equipment in the game. In contrast: Daedric artifacts.
- Better flower picking. seriously why does picking a flower open a loot window just put it straight into my inventory geez cdprojekt

edit: sorry, totally forgot about Crow's Perch, that's another quite unique town.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 5, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ymgve posted:

- Better flower picking. seriously why does picking a flower open a loot window just put it straight into my inventory geez cdprojekt

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Skyrim is bad. Witcher 3 is good.

Thanks for listening.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Sharmat posted:

He's different in the games from the Last Wish but I don't think that's poor writng. He's a different person by the end of the books as well. In some parts of Sword of Destiny he's almost an overgrown teenager. He becomes a stronger person over time, starting from when he gets Ciri. Same thing with Yennefer.
This is from the last page but just to point it out - the whole protagonist arc in the Witcher books is Geralt's change from a single monster slayer for hire who receives his pay and rides away into the sunset - to a person willing to put his life on the line in order to protect the people he cares for. At the start of the books he's basically TW3's Eskel who would choose the "not interested" option on every quest that isn't a contract. The book series is about Geralt maturing and reaching a conclusion that he just can't stay neutral if he wants to save his family, he has to choose sides and face the consequences - something he refused to do throughout his life.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So what books are translated to english and what's the chronology/order to read them in?

also any standouts would be great

E: also I'm assuming the retail translations are generally regarded as superior to the fan translations yeah?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 5, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Anti-Hero posted:

Ending Chat: Is "Ciri becoming a witcher" considered the best ending? It's the one I got and between that one and her becoming Empress I feel like the former is by far the happier ending.

Yeah I think it's the best by far. I really don't like the Empress ending. It feels bad and it also doesn't make sense from a writing standpoint. As opposed to the "Ciri dead" ending, which feels awful but in a good way, and makes sense internally.

The Iron Rose posted:

So what books are translated to english and what's the chronology/order to read them in?
In order:
The Last Wish>Sword of Destiny>Blood of Elves>Time of Contempt>Baptism of Fire

The Iron Rose posted:

E: also I'm assuming the retail translations are generally regarded as superior to the fan translations yeah?
Yes. The first and third books (the publisher initially skipped translating the second book for stupid reasons) are somewhat superior. The other books, especially the most recent (#2 and #5) are vastly superior, since the translator has gotten better at it over time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Also you can read the whole saga if you speak any other language than English. The books have been translated to every major language years ago except for English.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So I'm a loving idiot who JUST NOW figured out the quest Night of Bald Mountain or whatever it was.

According to the dumb woodspeople, the Ladies of the Wood choose three healthy lasses, who see the ladies that night, then return in the morning all refreshed and happy, then they leave forever. I just now figured out that the Ladies eat the lasses, then leave the mountain in their forms.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Palpek posted:

Also you can read the whole saga if you speak any other language than English. The books have been translated to every major language years ago except for English.

I didn't find out they had French copies until I was about to start Lady of the Lake but it was definitely worth it to get a professional translation

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

420 Gank Mid posted:

I didn't find out they had French copies until I was about to start Lady of the Lake but it was definitely worth it to get a professional translation

Ah c'est bon.

My French probably isn't good enough to get more than three words in four though, so I'll stick with English I think.

Started reading The Last Wish. It's surprisingly well done. I initially thought it was little more than bland and simple writing, but there's surprising subtlety and emotion underpinning it all. Only 65% of the way through according to my kindle, but I'm greatly enjoying it so far.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Crappy Jack posted:

I absolutely LOVE the delivery of that guy in the background trying to get his bosses' attention.

"Do you see my medallion?"

"HEY! HEY BOSS!"

"That means that I'm a Witcher. Let me through"

"HEY BOSS! HEY!"

"Oh, right you are, master Witcher. Please be on your way."

*Geralt leaves*

"HEY BOSS! THAT GUY'S A WITCHER!"

My favorite part of this quest is that there's some nearby drowners that often get bugged and run through the scene. Might be fixed now (too bad).

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

ymgve posted:

- Few generic NPCs. Almost every NPC in Skyrim (Apart from guards etc) was named, and most had at least some backstory, in contrast with Witcher 3's hundreds of "Villager" NPCs.

edit: sorry, totally forgot about Crow's Perch, that's another quite unique town.

I agree with most of your points, or at least, am willing to see your point of view as valid, but I strongly disagree with this. Filler NPCs like we have may not have backstories or unique lines, but I think they make our places feel a lot more real and lived in than Elder Scrolls has ever been able to achieve. And giving a character a name and a "backstory" isn't the same as being a character. Name one character trait for Amren. "Lost a sword" is not a character trait.

That's not to say that all our characters are deeply written- but you can find more humanity and characterization in any little village in Skellige than you can in the entirety of the Elder Scrolls.*

*I love these games btw, but characterization is not something they do well.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

quote:

Name one character trait for Amren. "Lost a sword" is not a character trait.

Family man, though to be fair it's not done well and he just yells at you over and over again about how much he loves his wife and daughter.

E: I do think it's a slightly off comparison though. They serve different purposes. The generic peasants in W3 are used very well as tools for world-building rather than attempts at poorly fleshed out characters.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 5, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Family man, though to be fair it's not done well and he just yells at you over and over again about how much he loves his wife and daughter.

E: I do think it's a slightly off comparison though. They serve different purposes. The generic peasants in W3 are used very well as tools for world-building rather than attempts at poorly fleshed out characters.

I was watching an LP of Fallout 3 recently and noted how jarring it is that one of the first characters you meet in the wasteland is former prostitute who stole money from her employer and is now hiding out in an old building. The first thing she does is say "Who are you, are you here to kill me?" So far, so good. Then she literally yells her entire life story at the PC for no apparent reason at all.

One of the first quests you can get is from a guy, sitting in a bar, who asks you, a random stranger, to blow up a whole city for him. Does he ask that question of everyone who wanders in?

Moira, virtually in her first breath, explains that the PC, having recently left a vault, knows nothing about the wasteland and is the kind of person she's writing her book for. Then in the very next line she asks the player, as an "experienced" wastelander, to help her with her book, since she's never left Megaton.

Those games have amazing, (the best) exploration gameplay. I love Elder Scrolls and modern Fallout games so much because they remind me of the hiking adventures I used to do when I was younger. The thrill of cool vistas and abandoned ruins- it's all great, but character and world building are not their strong suits.

Also, those games, particularly Fallout, are full of filler NPCs because even the named characters are just fillers. Many of them are barely more talkative than any random signpost in a Final Fantasy game, and I think it's even worse because so many of them have the same voice. So Amren might love his family, and that other Redguard guy thinks you've never been to the cloud district (despite being a thane), but hey both deliver their lines identically. (I don't actually remember if these guys share the same VO, but you get the idea.)

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

The one glaring example I remember from New Vegas was "Stop right there or I'll shoot you! Oh, I guess you're all right. Cards?"

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Named NPCs should be compared with named NPCs.

The hundreds of stock villagers are just furniture used for atmosphere and world building.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Tirranek posted:

The one glaring example I remember from New Vegas was "Stop right there or I'll shoot you! Oh, I guess you're all right. Cards?"

"Gwent, specifically?"

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

ymgve posted:

- Much better in-game map function. The Skyrim 3D map made it very easy to get a "feel" of the topography of the world, in contrast with Witcher 3's zero-topography map.

I actually really disliked the Skyrim map, it felt muddy and all the markers felt tossed out randomly. I get that it was supposed to make me see a zoomed-out view to help me get a sense of scale, but didn't give me a sense of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

ymgve posted:

Playing Witcher 3 makes me wish the next Elder Scrolls game was coming out soon. While Witcher 3 definitely wins on overall prettiness, the writing and quest design front, some things were done much better in Skyrim:

- More varied architecture. Sure, there was a lot of copy-pasting in both games, but the cities/towns of Skyrim often had building interiors exclusive to that region.
- Better towns/villages. In Witcher 3, there's basically Novigrad, Oxenfurt, Kaer Trolde, and several dozen interchangeable villages. Nothing in Skyrim compares to the scale of Novigrad, but all towns have more personality than the Witcher villages.
- Better dungeons and caves. Almost all of the caves in Witcher are like one corridor, then a big chamber. There are like, half a dozen actual complex dungeons in the game. In contrast, in Skyrim the average cave/dungeon was pretty long, and even though they were samey due to all the prefabs, it felt like you actually was going deep underground in them.
- More interesting loot. Apart from the Witcher School gear, there's not really much unique and interesting equipment in the game. In contrast: Daedric artifacts.

Is this a fake post?