Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Forktoss posted:

Having serials of two or three parts with 45-minute episodes is such a weird format, as well. It just feels like a poorly thought-out compromise between the old serial structure and the more common drama format, and I certainly can't think of another show that did the same (are there any?). I wonder if mid-80s Who had been a bit more successful if they had just gone all-in in Season 22/23 and done 13 one-off episodes a season instead of relying on the more and more obsolete serial structure.

Probably! But then you'd still have the endless fanwank, multiple Pip and Jane Baker scripts, the coat...

Incidentally, I'd love to have been in the post-hiatus meeting where they decided the best way forward visually was not only to keep Colin's coat but also give him a massive bubble perm as well. Even complete creative exhaustion can't fully explain that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Trying to distract from the second chin?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Last Centurion Rory would be great, but it wouldn't make sense as Earth is alone in the universe at that point. No stars, no planets. :(

Plus Arthur Darvill is currently being the 10th Doctor Rip Hunter in Legends of Tomorrow in the US.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gaz-L posted:

It's Rory. It's the only one that makes any sense that hasn't already been done. Well, Vastra and co would also make sense, but that's a trio, not an individual character. Plus Darvill's done stuff for them before.

I bet it's Liz 10.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Last Centurion Rory would be great, but it wouldn't make sense as Earth is alone in the universe at that point. No stars, no planets. :(

Oh I didn't mean in this one, I just meant in general. A story where he kicks arse throughout history.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It’ll be the adventures of Rose Tyler and the Hand Doctor.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

It’ll be the adventures of Rose Tyler and the Hand Doctor.

HANDY AND ROSE

Coming soon!

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

The_Doctor posted:

Curse of Fenric as a six-parter. :allears:
That could be amazing. Curse is a real diamond in the rough. As Much as I like Seven I'll be the first to admit it was not the best period of the show and there were plenty of bad episodes during his run. Colditz rules too.

Tom Baker starts to loose me with the robot dog and totally when Adric joins. Still has some of the best episodes ever under his belt, but I wouldn't put him in my top five.

pinacotheca posted:

Incidentally, I'd love to have been in the post-hiatus meeting where they decided the best way forward visually was not only to keep Colin's coat but also give him a massive bubble perm as well. Even complete creative exhaustion can't fully explain that one.
The blue coat is so good I might headcanon all of his episodes/audios to it.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 3, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Barry Foster posted:

It's the Doctor, he's been in quite a few new series episodes

Big Finish is proud to present,"gently caress you, I'M the Doctor!" starring Peter Capaldi and David Tennant squabbling as they both try to jam themselves into a recording booth. 12 episodes per season, 45 minute running time per episode, 6 hours of bonus features (more squabbling).

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
The Enemy of the World is really good. Salamander may be my favorite Who villian.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 4, 2015

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

The Enemy of the World is really good. Salamander may be my favorite Who villian.

I can't help but say Salamander the way they say it now. Every time I see the word it pops into my head. Ssssalamander!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Plus Arthur Darvill is currently being the 10th Doctor Rip Hunter in Legends of Tomorrow in the US.

I don't think Legends is actually shooting yet. It likely won't start until October, and BF stuff only takes a weekend or so to do.

PriorMarcus posted:

I bet it's Liz 10.

This did actually occur to me right after I posted though.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I like how that serial went from kinda one of the lesser talked about ones to getting such high praise once it was rediscovered. It's really, really good and shows how loving talented Troughton was.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

It's the Doctor, he's been in quite a few new series episodes

Not to get the thread's hopes up, but if I were a betting man this would unironically be my pick. Why would you wait a while after announcing Torchwood and River Song to sneak out something like a Liz 10 series? It'd make much more sense to hold back the announcement of the thing that would overshadow them completely.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So is captain Jack coming to the audios, since we're getting Torchwood? I was confused on that

Because if he is, he can meet Tom Baker now

And that would just make me happy

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Burkion posted:

So is captain Jack coming to the audios, since we're getting Torchwood? I was confused on that

Because if he is, he can meet Tom Baker now

And that would just make me happy

So far, he's just gonna be in his little self-contained Torchwood bubble. It's likely they'll eventually edge him into the main run though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'd put money on him meeting River Song before too long.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I'd put money on him meeting River Song before too long.

"So how do you know the Doctor?"

"I'm his wife."

"Funny that, I'm his boyfriend."

"Really? He hadn't mentioned you"

"Same for you, Red."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Burkion posted:

"So how do you know the Doctor?"

"I'm his wife."

"Funny that, I'm his boyfriend."

"Really? He hadn't mentioned you"

"Same for you, Red."

"Love the hair."

"Love the jawline."

"Cocktails?"

"Let's get out of this deathtrap first. Then we'll see."

"I'll hold you to that."

"Focus, captain! Monsters first, flirting later."

"You can talk!"

Etc, etc

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The_Doctor posted:

"Love the hair."

"Love the jawline."

"Cocktails?"

"Let's get out of this deathtrap first. Then we'll see."

"I'll hold you to that."

"Focus, captain! Monsters first, flirting later."

"You can talk!"

Etc, etc

Or it is too much sassy smug in one place, and they hate each other on sight.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

vegetables posted:

Not to get the thread's hopes up, but if I were a betting man this would unironically be my pick. Why would you wait a while after announcing Torchwood and River Song to sneak out something like a Liz 10 series? It'd make much more sense to hold back the announcement of the thing that would overshadow them completely.

They're not talking about a them getting their own series, it's about one more new series character guest starring in The Churchill Years

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'm not so sure about that. Here's the quote again:

quote:

But with the cast and storylines for these titles now revealed, could there any more New Series announcements in the pipeline?

‘There might be one more significant recurring character from 21st Century Doctor Who that is on the brink of announcement… Watch this space over the coming days!’

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

cargohills posted:

I'm not so sure about that. Here's the quote again:

Huh, had misread that. My apologies. Well, now I'm hoping it's Rory the Centurion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finally, Trinity Wells gets her own spin-off!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Maybe the Adventures of Jackson Lake!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Caitlin Blackwood as Amelia Pond!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

They'll get around BBC licensing problems by featuring The Doctor As Written By Peter Capaldi, Age 9. Prepare for the Chumbley Empire box set. :3:

I'd sign up for one of those 200 episode subscriptions or whatever if they announced that. :allears:

MikeJF posted:

I'd really like to watch old episodes re-edited to modern pacing and editing styles, but not to 44 minutes - just to whatever's natural for the older stories as-is to keep things rolling and to cut out those annoying bits where they'd spend 20 minutes running up a hill or recap things at the start of every week. I've seen a few done to 45 minutes and it's been an interesting experiment, but when you're working with a script not designed for it I think it's better to try out to whatever it turns out to be natural at.

I don't think they're available anywhere, but back in the 80s the PBS edits in the US were edited into super episodes. They would take a multipart story and cut out the credits, filler, recaps, etc and I swear it seemed every drat one, from Hartnell to McCoy (with obvious exceptions like War Games) was 90 minutes. I'm not sure if they edited out other parts to get them to that time.

Some people find that too long, but I enjoyed them and found it a good way to watch a whole story. Of course I'd have no idea where you'd find them nowadays.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know the character they're talking about almost certainly isn't, but I really want it to be The Misadventures of Missy.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
random thing: I'm considering running a Doctor Who Mafia game on another forum, but probably only encompassing the revival since I know very little about anything prior to that (I really want to get into Old Who, but it's on a long priority list, and not in the top 20). Anyone here familiar with Mafia, and willing to offer some fun role suggestions?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Huh, had misread that. My apologies. Well, now I'm hoping it's Rory the Centurion.

Every time somebody posts this I get sad because for a moment I feel hope :smith:.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

I don't think they're available anywhere, but back in the 80s the PBS edits in the US were edited into super episodes. They would take a multipart story and cut out the credits, filler, recaps, etc and I swear it seemed every drat one, from Hartnell to McCoy (with obvious exceptions like War Games) was 90 minutes. I'm not sure if they edited out other parts to get them to that time.

Some people find that too long, but I enjoyed them and found it a good way to watch a whole story. Of course I'd have no idea where you'd find them nowadays.

UK Gold used to do something similar, where they'd put together a four episode story and call it a "Doctor Who Omnibus" with advertisements in between each episode. They did with stuff like Holby City as well. It's part of how I got into the series.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
The BBC would sometimes do it themselves when repeating stories in the 70s. The DVD releases of Planet of the Spiders and the special edition of The Ark in Space have their omnibus editions on the second disc if anybody wants to see them today.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

UK Gold used to do something similar, where they'd put together a four episode story and call it a "Doctor Who Omnibus" with advertisements in between each episode. They did with stuff like Holby City as well. It's part of how I got into the series.

That's what the Horror channel are doing with their weekend omnibuses, too. Probably the same broadcast tapes.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

They were not , at least not here, it was one of the reasons we had it as the last thing broadcast Saturday night - how do you fit something into a TV schedule that could from less than an hour one week to almost three the next (as with Sontaran Experiment to Genesis)? Pertwee stories were endurance tests. I still have a bunch of tapes for whatever reason.*

*That reason being that they could stop showing it and you would never, ever get to see a story again because it's some forgotten cancelled TV show virtually unknown in the US with zero chance of ever starting up again and getting popular.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

After The War posted:

They were not , at least not here, it was one of the reasons we had it as the last thing broadcast Saturday night - how do you fit something into a TV schedule that could from less than an hour one week to almost three the next (as with Sontaran Experiment to Genesis)? Pertwee stories were endurance tests. I still have a bunch of tapes for whatever reason.*

*That reason being that they could stop showing it and you would never, ever get to see a story again because it's some forgotten cancelled TV show virtually unknown in the US with zero chance of ever starting up again and getting popular.

Me too!

Jsor posted:

I know the character they're talking about almost certainly isn't, but I really want it to be The Misadventures of Missy.

Geoffrey Beevers, Alex McQueen, and Michelle Gomez in "The Three Masters"

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Even better: Alex Macqueen and Michelle Gomez in "The Two Masters"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Even better: John Erwin and Michelle Gomez in "Masters of the Universe".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Rumor (via Private Eye) is that we won't be getting a full series in the 2016 calender year due to Sherlock commitments and possibly other factors. :smith:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Rumor (via Private Eye) is that we won't be getting a full series in the 2016 calender year due to Sherlock commitments and possibly other factors. :smith:

It's at that point, if this is true and Sherlock is a major factor into it, that maybe just maybe Moffat should step down after finding some one else to take over for him.

Maybe a super fan like him.

Who is Scottish.

And is named Peter.

And currently plays the Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Burkion posted:

It's at that point, if this is true and Sherlock is a major factor into it, that maybe just maybe Moffat should step down after finding some one else to take over for him.

Maybe a super fan like him.

Who is Scottish also named Moffat Moffett.

And is named Peter.

And currently plays the Doctor.

• Locked thread