Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Can you use the same windows key in bootcamp and a VM?

I'm thinking the answer is no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ethanol posted:

For Win 8? Yeah. Definitely.

Dunno about Win10 since I haven't tried it yet...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ethanol posted:

Yeah, you can. VMWare has the specific steps to do activation on a KB article on their site somewhere so Windows doesn't keep freaking out when you alternate between BootCamp and VMWare.

note: I've only done it on Win 8.1 Pro.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks guys I went ahead and bought the $69.99 student retail key for 8.1 pro and then a usb flash drive to install it with today. I already have a spare 256 2.5" SSD ripped from an hp envy so I'm going to soon buy an enclosure for that and do bootcamp the legit way for now with a 30 gig partition for windows on the internal, and put all the data on the external

this laptop is really great so far. It's my first mac since my early 2007 MBP gave out on me a few years ago. I returned the Surface Pro 3 for this new 13.3" rMBP with the i5 and 256 drive, 8gb of ram. I can't say how much more satisfying the build quality of this laptop feels compared to the surface. This macbook feels like something I can really bang on, the surface I was trying way too hard to baby. Also it became clear after a few test runs on the surface that not even autocad would run at what I would call acceptable. It was laggy and slow even with basic small cad files.. Just trying out the mac os x version it's not giving me the same lag or problems at all. I thought these laptops were comparable in speed, but it's clear to me now, the bigger macbook pro is much faster. Now I'm just hoping after this windows install, the same windows apps the surface had trouble with will be lag free. Interesting fact, the surface pro 3 and the macbook pro were within $5 of each other during the exchange. I really did want to like that surface too, oh well. this is better

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 1, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Does anyone know if there are any 3rd party PCIe 1TB SSDs for a rMBP 11.3 yet? All I can find are the older 2-channel SSDs.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Those three boxes the wrong way round are very triggering :mad:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Airplay with AppleTV is fine. I use it daily for HD content. Check your wifi connection.
Not here it isn't.

It usually works fine with iphone and ipad, but quite often not with a mac. Other times it shows as a playback option but choosing it doesn't to anything. A reset fixes it, but you can only do that so many times before it starts to piss you off.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Is that AppleTV running the latest firmware?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I currently have a macbook air and want to stream video to an Apple TV (hooked up to a projector) and audio to my bluetooth speaker. Anyone know if there are going to be any latency issues between the audio and the video?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Audio over BT seems to have improved a lot in the last few versions of OSX. it used to be I couldn't use my BT headphones for video at all due to sync issues but since 10.10.3 it seems a lot better n

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
I'm in need of a USB 3.0 SSD enclosure. Anyone have any recommendations? A thunderbolt enclosure, if I can find a reasonably priced one, may be overkill but is also an option.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jfff posted:

I'm in need of a USB 3.0 SSD enclosure. Anyone have any recommendations? A thunderbolt enclosure, if I can find a reasonably priced one, may be overkill but is also an option.

I *just* bought this, and so far it's fantastic:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XQLRIQY

I looked for a thunderbolt enclosure, but I couldn't find one other than $$$ RAID enclosures.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Seagate used to make a decent adapter for $99 (too cheap to include an enclosure), but they discontinued it a while ago.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ethanol posted:

Thanks guys I went ahead and bought the $69.99 student retail key for 8.1 pro and then a usb flash drive to install it with today. I already have a spare 256 2.5" SSD ripped from an hp envy so I'm going to soon buy an enclosure for that and do bootcamp the legit way for now with a 30 gig partition for windows on the internal, and put all the data on the external

this laptop is really great so far. It's my first mac since my early 2007 MBP gave out on me a few years ago. I returned the Surface Pro 3 for this new 13.3" rMBP with the i5 and 256 drive, 8gb of ram. I can't say how much more satisfying the build quality of this laptop feels compared to the surface. This macbook feels like something I can really bang on, the surface I was trying way too hard to baby. Also it became clear after a few test runs on the surface that not even autocad would run at what I would call acceptable. It was laggy and slow even with basic small cad files.. Just trying out the mac os x version it's not giving me the same lag or problems at all. I thought these laptops were comparable in speed, but it's clear to me now, the bigger macbook pro is much faster. Now I'm just hoping after this windows install, the same windows apps the surface had trouble with will be lag free. Interesting fact, the surface pro 3 and the macbook pro were within $5 of each other during the exchange. I really did want to like that surface too, oh well. this is better

Yeah, from what I understand the SPro3 is a lot closer in performance to the Air than the rMBP. When people cross-shop the Air and the rMBP in this thread it's almost always a "do I want a lighter computer or a nicer display" question and the relative CPU/GPU specs don't matter so much. But they're there and they matter if you need the grunt.

I really like what the Surface line's slowly maturing into tho. The Pro is sort of a weird in-between device with way too many compromises to make but the cheaper smaller one is the sort of thing that I would love to have in lab with me.

That said, it'll be interesting to see what'll happen with the iPad if Apple ends up pushing its rumored productivity angle (multitasking in iOS 9 with the right hardware, bigger "iPad Pro" with pen/etc all but confirmed at this point). Maybe peripherals like keyboards will get nicer and have better polish and integration.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

1st AD posted:

Seagate used to make a decent adapter for $99 (too cheap to include an enclosure), but they discontinued it a while ago.

They also make this FW800 to SATA adapter that sells now for $30 that's great for Firewire 800 machines like every laptop model sold between 2009 and 2012.

Shove an SSD into it and you've got a FW bootup disk and so you can say gently caress off to those USB 2.0 ports on machines so equipped.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

1st AD posted:

The seagate goflex thunderbolt adapter tray has helped me save / upgrade so many friends' pre-retina MacBooks. It's so convenient. I just bought it with the 1TB enclosed drive and slide the drive out whenever I need to host a drive temporarily. I occasionally use it with a 1TB SSD to grab projects for the road. Best exterior storage for MBPs IMHO.

Very good to know about the FW800 version!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
How the worm has turned...

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/05/ibm-mac-deployment-service/

quote:

Today's news comes after an internal video of IBM chief information officer Jeff Smith that leaked late last week, in which Smith told employees that the company could end up purchasing 150,000-200,000 Macs annually, significantly more than the original estimate of 50,000 Macs deployed through the end of the year announced in internal memo earlier in the year. IBM has told Apple it expects the initiative could eventually see 50-75 percent of IBM employees switching over to Mac from the company-standard Lenovo computers used at IBM.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I'm looking for a laptop upgrade. I was looking at the 13" Macbook Air or the Macbook Pro for the ret display. How does Bootcamp (or Windows specifically) handle retina displays?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rabid Snake posted:

I'm looking for a laptop upgrade. I was looking at the 13" Macbook Air or the Macbook Pro for the ret display. How does Bootcamp (or Windows specifically) handle retina displays?

Just fine. I recently installed Windows 10, and the install process resolution was hilariously tiny (I'm assuming the 2560 x 1600px max) but it corrected itself once I got into Windows 10 proper.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I really like what the Surface line's slowly maturing into tho. The Pro is sort of a weird in-between device with way too many compromises to make but the cheaper smaller one is the sort of thing that I would love to have in lab with me.

I thought the SP3 was pretty cool at first, but the more I use it, the less I like it. Small irritations, and like you say, so many compromises. I'd switch to an Air in a moment at this point.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

I thought the SP3 was pretty cool at first, but the more I use it, the less I like it. Small irritations, and like you say, so many compromises. I'd switch to an Air in a moment at this point.

That's why I like the S3- and only as a second or third device (but really not as a replacement for an iPad to me). It clearly wouldn't replace an rMBP or anything like that.

As such it's too expensive to justify (but also not really when compared to an iPad with the requisite keyboard cover/pen) unless you use it a ton. It's arguably worse at being a personal/recreational/gaming device than an iPad (Intel Atom and all that) but it's the closest anyone's gotten to a truly practical take on the 'tablet as serious productivity tool/digital notepad' idea that we were all promised.

2-in-1s are too big to really do that comfortably and the Surface peripherals have that combination of well-integrated and immediately removable that nothing made for iOS has (and let's be real, if Apple ever made a first-party keyboard cover for the iPad it would be stupid-impractical).

Mostly I just really want one for lab, I think.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Buy 36 iMacs, get a free human size Habitrail wheel.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/university-it-dept-creates-giant-wheel-out-of-imac-boxes-on-the-feed/

Looks like IT departments in Oregon (Oregoons?) have plenty of free time..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Buy 36 iMacs, get a free human size Habitrail wheel.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/university-it-dept-creates-giant-wheel-out-of-imac-boxes-on-the-feed/

Looks like IT departments in Oregon (Oregoons?) have plenty of free time..

Well, it is summer...

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
If you bought your iMac stock from Apple in the past 3 years and you're not particularly technically inclined and are scared of doing upgrades on your own, buy my stupid loving RAM and just pop it in the back it takes like 30 seconds and it'll make your computer TWICE AS GOOD*.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732927

*Not actually twice as good

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
I'm looking to set up bootcamp and install a windows partition. From everything I've read it seems I should buy Windows 8.1 64 bit then upgrade to 10 if I want to down the road. Would there be any point in buying Windows 10 outright?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Depends on what you're paying for each. If you have a school that's selling you 8 cheap go for it. Otherwise I'd just buy 10. I'm running boot amped 10 and it's working fine. The upgrade process went wonky on me though and I had to do a second, fresh install. I'd avoid upgrading if you don't have to snd just jump in with 10

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Why the hell would you buy and risk only having 10 when 8.1 gives you 10 and allows you to roll back for 30 days just in case?

I bought a retail 8.1 license with student discount directly from Microsoft for $70 and it works fine

There wasn't even a discounted version of 10 available. It just redirected to the student version of 8.1.

If you want to install win 10 later, install from the ISO instead of doing the reserve upgrade so you can do a clean install

ethanol fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 8, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jfff posted:

I'm looking to set up bootcamp and install a windows partition. From everything I've read it seems I should buy Windows 8.1 64 bit then upgrade to 10 if I want to down the road. Would there be any point in buying Windows 10 outright?

I wouldn't install Windows 10 until El Cap comes out and/or they announce Windows 10 support.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

computer parts posted:

I wouldn't install Windows 10 until El Cap comes out and/or they announce Windows 10 support.

I'm typing this in Windows 10 on a MPB right now. It works fine. I had to fiddle with an installer a little bit to get the Bootcamp drivers to install, but that was just because I wanted my screen brightness and volume keys. With the default drivers that Windows dug up on install everything important worked just fine, including the video card. gently caress, I went to install the most recent drivers out of habit and found that they were already up to date.

Upgrade or don't, and if it's a work-critical OS environment I'd wait a bit just to be sure, but the support is fine if you're even the tiniest bit computer literate and able to google solutions to the odd problem.

edit: I'll add that if you're running an older system the upgrade is especially great. Apparently Microsoft really made an effort to make Win10 run well on old systems due to how hard they were pushing people to upgrade. My computer boots a LOT faster in Win10 than it ever did in 7.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 8, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

computer parts posted:

It runs fine on the rMBP, the only issue was I needed to upgrade to the latest nVidia drivers for the 750M (and Windows 10 managed that on it's own).

In the end it didn't matter that much, since I migrated it into a VMWare Fusion vmdk a couple of days ago so I could claw back some drive space for OS X. But prior to that I had zero issues with Windows 10 the Bootcamp.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to use my PlayStation 4 on my 27" mid 2011 iMac. Is the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter what I want to buy?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I want to use my PlayStation 4 on my 27" mid 2011 iMac. Is the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter what I want to buy?

I might be wrong but I think HDMI to DisplayPort doesn't work without an active converter.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can buy a 32" TV for less than it's going to cost you to get that working.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

You can buy a 32" TV for less than it's going to cost you to get that working.

I do have a 32" :v: It's just between the two, the iMac is way better image quality. But i'll stick with the TV.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I might be wrong but I think HDMI to DisplayPort doesn't work without an active converter.

It will work fine. It's a $10 adapter. HDMI input to mDP output.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Mini-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Adapter/dp/B00NH13K8S/

Whoops, wrong direction. Yeah, going HDMI out to DP in is going to cost north of $100. This is the cheapest one I could find:

http://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/Active-HDMI-or-DVI-to-DisplayPort-Converter~HDMI2DP

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 8, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Thunderbolt came out in 2011 so you might have TB on there, in which case you're screwed pretty much.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Looks like I need to vent again...

I took the macbook (which I bought ~2.5 months ago) to the apple store for the problem I had with something large rattling inside, which then led to terrible battery life, usb ports not working, and keys not always registering. The guy was really nice, apologized for it personally and sent it in to get repaired. I got it back seven days later with a replaced logic board, top case, and also seemingly most other parts in the computer replaced. Great!

Then I take it home and realize the rattling is still there, the battery still sucks, and at least once a day I get a problem with keys not registering. I schedule another appointment at the apple store at the closest time available (one week away). This time, the (different) guy swears he can't hear any rattling, says it's probably just the screws on the fan moving around slightly, which is obviously ridiculous if you watch the video below. I ask as nicely as possible if I can get a replacement, he says there's no way that can happen and insists it's a software problem anyway. He says he can take it in for another repair. I have final exams at the end of this week so I tell him can't do that right now and he says he can do a writeup of the problems so I don't have to re-explain them next time I come in. So I'm thinking "Well, that's not so bad".

Then he gives me his writeup, which I don't read until I leave. The writeup, which I assume is now attached to my account, basically says I'm making everything up ("no claims made could be verified", "noise sounds like normal moveable parts on machine, sounds like screws on fan"), the bottom of my macbook is scuffed up (it's actually in completely pristine condition), and strongly recommends the problem be resolved in store through software (reinstalling osx I guess).

What the hell apple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAmYGoB_uzA.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 9, 2015

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Sounds like the bottom case is flexing and the sound you're hearing is the plastic clips click into place.

The two black pieces in this picture:

Again, battery life is probably a software issue but it looks like for some reason you're against doing that. The key issue may be software related too. I'd love to read what the technician wrote for you as well.

1997 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

1997 posted:

Sounds like the bottom case is flexing and the sound you're hearing is the plastic clips click into place.

The two black pieces in this picture:

Again, battery life is probably a software issue but it looks like for some reason you're against doing that. The key issue may be software related too. I'd love to read what the technician wrote for you as well.

Thanks for the input. I'm curious if you watched the video of me shaking it and you still think that or if you were basing that off my description. What do you think could have caused this flexing? I try to take really good care of my computer and always keep it in a case when transporting it.
To me it really doesn't seem like that's what's going on. Primarily because it wouldn't explain the usb ports dying shortly after the rattling started or any of the other problems which coincided with the rattling.

Also, the reasons I know that the terrible battery life isn't a software issue are

1) I've already reinstalled osx and the problem persists.
2) I don't do anything demanding at all when using the computer (a few tabs and word 90% of the time) and I don't think 3-4 hours is really possible with the battery working properly in the new MBPr.
3) It takes much much longer now to charge up (3-4 hours from 60%) than it did before the rattling started. This is charging when not in use, so I don't think software is the cause.
3) Estimated time remaining starts at 8 hours, then by the time it gets to 6 hours there's always a jump right down to 1 hour.

Here's what he wrote, parentheses are my comments because I can't help myself
"
Issue:
customer states device makes rattling noise when shaken lightly. (Implying the super-obvious sound is one I'm making up)
Customer also states the battery drains very quickly (Again, just take my word for it for now dude, you're gonna test it anyway)
Device was recently sent to dept for hardware repair

Steps to reproduce:
Verified noise and it sounds like normal moveable parts inside machine. Sounds like screws on fan. (He said he didn't hear anything, then he says it's a moveable part, then he says it's a screw?)
Could not verify issue with battery (Because you didn't at any point attempt to?)

Cosmetic condition:
-scuff on bottom cover
-scuffs on feet
(these are literally just lies, and in any case irrelevant to the problem)

Proposed resolution:
Software repair in store (This is obviously a hardware problem)
Charge device to 100 and log in to admin account to check for battery life time
if battery drains quickly, boot into known good OS and check for battery life (what the hell dude, I told you I tried reinstalling osx already)
"

I really didn't think I was being an rear end in a top hat customer to him, I mean I didn't even ask to speak to a manager or anything. I guess he didn't like that I was being pushy about trying to get a replacement.

Luckily I have >1 apple store in driveable range, so I'm gonna take it to a different place next time and explain it to them all over again, without the douchey note. Hopefully they will just take it in for repair and actually fix it. I'm just pissed. It is unbelievable to me that apple isn't able (on first visit) or willing (on second visit) to fix such an obvious problem less than three months out of purchase, well within the 1 year warranty.

Bonus comment from the "Genius":
"You know we basically just replaced your computer a week ago right?" "Yes but I'm here because the problems I originally had didn't actually go away"

What the hell does it matter if what you did didn't fix anything? I don't care if you put 30 diamonds inside I just want a computer that puts characters on the screen every time I hit keys on the keyboard and has a battery that lasts at least half the advertised amount of time (9 hours).

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 9, 2015