Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Cultural Imperial posted:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So we're just calling anyone an economist because anyone can be an economist if they want.

An economist, as in a person who has performed economic research and analysis in a professional capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
So when did Rachel Notley piss in Stephen's corn flakes? He's been taking swings at her and yet I don't see her behaving like Wynne.

Yeah. I know the obvious reason here.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Whiskey Sours posted:

An economist, as in a person who has performed economic research and analysis in a professional capacity.

Literally anyone who posted in r/bitcoin is now an economist. I guess American exceptionalism had to arrive in Canada at some point. Now anyone, no matter how loving dumb is an expert in something because he tweeted it out.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Femtosecond posted:

Brand new electoral map for Saskatchewan

Wow this seems like a huge deal to me. I never noticed until the 2011 election that Saskatchewan had these absurd urban/rural ridings where you had a tiny slice of city and then a massive rural component attached. It looked obviously gerrymandered.

Now those are completely gone and there are plenty of urban only ridings. This has got to mean the NDP have some strong chances of picking up several seats in this province now right?

The gerrymandered to crap ridings are gone.

Good for you Saskatchewan.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Literally anyone who posted in r/bitcoin is now an economist. I guess American exceptionalism had to arrive in Canada at some point. Now anyone, no matter how loving dumb is an expert in something because he tweeted it out.

It makes a lot more sense when you see economics as a religion rather than a science.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

sbaldrick posted:

The gerrymandered to crap ridings are gone.

Good for you Saskatchewan.

Its still heavily weighted on rural ridings when the population is centered on two cities.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/demo62i-eng.htm

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

So when did Rachel Notley piss in Stephen's corn flakes? He's been taking swings at her and yet I don't see her behaving like Wynne.

Yeah. I know the obvious reason here.

Considering the federal Tories even abandoned the Alberta PCs for being insufficiently dedicated to their ideology, the stench of fear on May 6 must have been palpable.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Femtosecond posted:

Brand new electoral map for Saskatchewan

Wow this seems like a huge deal to me. I never noticed until the 2011 election that Saskatchewan had these absurd urban/rural ridings where you had a tiny slice of city and then a massive rural component attached. It looked obviously gerrymandered.

Now those are completely gone and there are plenty of urban only ridings. This has got to mean the NDP have some strong chances of picking up several seats in this province now right?

So glad the riding commission stuck to their guns on that one. It was almost funny to see all the conservatives come in screaming once they realized some sensible boundaries were going to be drawn finally.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Melian Dialogue posted:

Has there been any Canadian leader, or an opposition leader that you think was a viable leftist?

Under current conditions where politicians tend to assemble their team through targeted micro-policy announcements its very hard for social movements to organically propel their own leaders to the top or to effectively police leaders, so I tend to have a very dim view of most Canadian politicians because typically the healthy relationship between the leader and the movement gets reversed. Ideally the party leadership would merely be developing a strategy to execute the demands of the larger party or movement rather than treating their party like footsoldiers in an army.

As for historically viable leftists, Tommy Douglas did a pretty good job.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Historically who would be regarded as the most "left wing" PM -- Pearson? Though I guess it's a bit of a tough question as what constitutes left-wing would be somewhat fluid over the last 150 years.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Is your bike not working today or something?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PT6A posted:

This kind of hyperbole is very unhelpful. I don't like Stephen Harper and I won't be voting Conservative, but to suggest that he's anything worse than a bog standard lovely politician only serves to drag the political discourse in this country downward. Stephen Harper isn't a tinpot dictator, Mulcair is not actually a communist, Justin Trudeau is not a mimbo, and Elizabeth May probably doesn't suffer from an actual mental illness.

Oddly enough, I can't think of a reason not to like Duceppe apart from the fact he's trying to split up the country.

I'm sorry that I couldn't help you

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

Historically who would be regarded as the most "left wing" PM -- Pearson? Though I guess it's a bit of a tough question as what constitutes left-wing would be somewhat fluid over the last 150 years.

He'd be my bet. 40 hour work week, healthcare and minimum wage. Not too shabby.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

a primate posted:

He'd be my bet. 40 hour work week, healthcare and minimum wage. Not too shabby.

And CPP

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

jm20 posted:

Its still heavily weighted on rural ridings when the population is centered on two cities.

It's not really so bad, Regina and Saskatoon have ~37% of the population and now have 6/14 (~43%) of the Ridings. Well, more like 5.5, that one of Saskatoons kinda explodes out a bit.
Sure, people who live in Lloydminster, Prince Albert, etc. might be technically urban, but that's a pretty loose definition of "urban" when those towns mostly have well under 40k people.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Kafka Esq. posted:

Is your bike not working today or something?

I don't know why you guys keep expecting more from Ethnically Han Holden Caulfield.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

jm20 posted:

It's seriously better then it was when they basically divided up the cities to the point where the rural areas had more say.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Hal_2005 posted:

Do you honestly think Justin Trudeau or Mulcair know the difference between a tax credit and a tax deferment? or a chargeback vs. a expense ? I doubt it, and I doubt you are much better.

Slag the party record, but slagging the guy's credentials is pretty weaksauce. Think harder.
A Conservative encouraging people to "think harder" lmao :irony:

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 20:04 on Aug 5, 2015

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

And he had the support of the SoCreds

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Melian Dialogue posted:

The people who happened to have paranoia about bill C-51 probably wouldn't have voted for the Liberals anyway.

Considering the huge backlash from the party itself, I think this is not true.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Justin???? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH5I96BcVMk

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
If the NDP want to steal another idea for an ad:

If the Conservatives only problem with Justin is that he's just not ready - why is he running for the Liberal party?

edit: "I'm not saying never, but just not yet" is basically an endorsement.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yeah I can think of a few people who were ready to vote Liberal because of weed and changed their minds after C-51.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

THAT'S WHAT THE GREEK GOVERNMENT THOUGHT!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm curious about the "you can't borrow forever" line. Dollars to donuts that comes back as a line after a concerned focus group participant brings up Tom's mortgages.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

apatheticman posted:

Also apparently the taxpayer funded 24 hours propaganda series is now featured on the conservatives website. Elections Canada apparently is a laughing stock now
Update: Videos were silently pulled off the site today after a few people started raising election law questions on Twitter.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Kafka Esq. posted:

If the NDP want to steal another idea for an ad:

If the Conservatives only problem with Justin is that he's just not ready - why is he running for the Liberal party?

edit: "I'm not saying never, but just not yet" is basically an endorsement.

Nah, that "Not never, but not now," is a great ad because it's a vague way of hitting Trudeau while acknowledging that most people have a positive idea of his father's legacy. It's one of those common sense appeals that gives 70s Liberals skeptical of Justin permission to vote for the Conservatives.

Besides, why would the NDP want to come to Trudeau's defense? Every hit the Cons make to Trudeau's readiness implicitly legitimizes the NDP opposition.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

Nah, that "Not never, but not now," is a great ad because it's a vague way of hitting Trudeau while acknowledging that most people have a positive idea of his father's legacy. It's one of those common sense appeals that gives 70s Liberals skeptical of Justin permission to vote for the Conservatives.

Besides, why would the NDP want to come to Trudeau's defense? Every hit the Cons make to Trudeau's readiness implicitly legitimizes the NDP opposition.

I'm saying that the Cons are basically saying they would be fine with Trudeau if he had a little more gray in his hair. As in, Liberal-Tory same old story.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm curious about the "you can't borrow forever" line. Dollars to donuts that comes back as a line after a concerned focus group participant brings up Tom's mortgages.

Sinister voice: "Thomas Mulcair has remortgaged his house eleven times and as recently as 2009. He won't tell us why but did you know he was ordered to pay over $100,000 in a defamation suit in 2005. That's on top of the $400,000 he owes Canadian taxpayers for the satellite offices. Right now, you're probably thinking Thomas Mulcair's mouth has a habit of writing cheques his rear end can't cash. It sure looks that way .... doesn't it?"

Kafka Esq. posted:

I'm saying that the Cons are basically saying they would be fine with Trudeau if he had a little more gray in his hair. As in, Liberal-Tory same old story.

It's not effective for the cons to come out and advertise that he's a valueless, silver spoon sucking, parasitic opportunist. They've got to be nice and nudge people in the direction that they're already going. They aren't telling you what they think, they're telling you what you (statistically) already think.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Should I be surprised that this ad features only white people?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
My favourite bit is the jab against the Greeks as if it'll be any different when the international banks come at us.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

My favourite bit is the jab against the Greeks as if it'll be any different when the international banks come at us.

Not to mention how the Harper regime is talking about tax cuts even though the federal budget will be running a deficit over the next few years.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
What the gently caress is a Netflix tax

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

<------------ Single Issue voting over Netflix, lives in a country where our politicians actually do this kind of thing

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Sexy Randal posted:

It's how you protect your children on the internet. Just(not ready)in wants to expose your children to unregulated internet and netflix. Studies from Health Canada have shown that the internet causes death in 100% of people who use it. We need a steady hand in these uncertain times when faced with these death threats from Jihadi terrorists.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

74 days to go

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Sexy Randal posted:

yeah where the gently caress did this nonsense come from? This sounds like Telecom fuckery

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Someone please save that pic for the next CanPol thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuttooth
Dec 12, 2002

The ATR1: turning shit into polished turds since 1997.

Alctel posted:

74 days to go

I'll just assume Netflix knows nothing of this and wouldn't approve of their brand being used in this way.

• Locked thread