Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JMod posted:

I'm not as l33t as I used to be, but how does he bruteforce everyone's gmail and facebook passwords? Don't you need a local password file to do that, otherwise he'd get locked out after a few tries? It's fine if its just "he just can okay" but I'm just curious if I'm missing something

The answer is probably a keylogger. Since he breaks into their computers anyway that'd be the easiest way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Xoidanor posted:

The answer is probably a keylogger. Since he breaks into their computers anyway that'd be the easiest way to do it.

I think he explicitly mentions using a key logger at some point during the show too.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Ahh beaten.

JMod posted:

I'm not as l33t as I used to be, but how does he bruteforce everyone's gmail and facebook passwords? Don't you need a local password file to do that, otherwise he'd get locked out after a few tries? It's fine if its just "he just can okay" but I'm just curious if I'm missing something

Either a keylogger, data-breach thats been leaked on the web or brute forcing something else that doesn't lock you out. Most people don't use complicated passwords and often have no more than 3 that they use for everything.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
In one of the earlier episodes, Elliott does go through his process of getting information about people to reduce the set of passwords he has to guess. Like he calls that one guy and gets him to answer "security questions".

Also Tyrell just flat out firing those execs for being bro-y shitheads was so satisfying.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ultramiraculous posted:

In one of the earlier episodes, Elliott does go through his process of getting information about people to reduce the set of passwords he has to guess. Like he calls that one guy and gets him to answer "security questions".

Also Tyrell just flat out firing those execs for being bro-y shitheads was so satisfying.

I guess he did kinda hint to despising that part of modern finance with his comment at the data center.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Has anything Tyrell's done gone well for him?

Everything he does on purpose explodes, so it would be darkly comic if his descent into animal madness somehow pays off.

I can imagine an evil megacorp covering up a murder that would bring the police into their upper management. Basically, I'm thinking of the scene in American Psycho when Patrick Bateman returns to (what he at least thought was) the apartment where he left chopped up dead bodies to find a realtor showing off the place.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
You could also setup a MitM and use Ettercap with sslstrip to get Gmail passwords. I did this about a year ago on my own network and it works nicely, but not sure if technology has changed to combat this method. I love seeing the various tools they use on this show. I think I noticed bluesniff when Darlene was messing with the cop.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Certificate pinning is at least becoming more common, which breaks SSL stripping. The more competent/paranoid apps are doing it, and Chrome has pinning for Google products hard coded in.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I honestly expected Tyrell to throw her off the roof when he invited her up there and mentioned the cameras being out. Strangulation is really messy and personal and seems like a good way to get caught. And off the roof at least leaves the possibility of suicide.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Also keep in mind that his wife will 100% know that it was Tyrell that killed her when her body is found. Looking forward to that talk.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

nooneofconsequence posted:

I honestly expected Tyrell to throw her off the roof when he invited her up there and mentioned the cameras being out. Strangulation is really messy and personal and seems like a good way to get caught. And off the roof at least leaves the possibility of suicide.

Strangulation is often a crime of passion which is what this was. He didn't plan on killing her when he invited her up, her comments made him snap.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
I like how they initially set Tyrell up to be some kind of super-slick omniscient puppet-master, and then the last two episodes have just basically revealed him to be just as much of a gently caress-up as everyone else on the show. It's kind of endearing how bad he is at being a super-villain.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
They've been knocking him down pretty consistently since his initial introduction. Like he set up that super secret meeting with Elliot to woo him and then Elliot just kind of goes "Nah I'm ok" and walks out. Then he gets politely passed over for CTO by his boss without even a meeting.

I agree though and think it's kind of neat that he was setup as like the obvious bad guy of the show and has instead spent the entire time slowly loving up. I wonder if we're heading for a Tyrell/fsociety teamup in the season finale.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

VDay posted:

They've been knocking him down pretty consistently since his initial introduction. Like he set up that super secret meeting with Elliot to woo him and then Elliot just kind of goes "Nah I'm ok" and walks out. Then he gets politely passed over for CTO by his boss without even a meeting.

I agree though and think it's kind of neat that he was setup as like the obvious bad guy of the show and has instead spent the entire time slowly loving up. I wonder if we're heading for a Tyrell/fsociety teamup in the season finale.

Haha, if his being a legit techie turns out to've been a Chekov's Gun situation, I'll be a very entertained man.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

VDay posted:

Also keep in mind that his wife will 100% know that it was Tyrell that killed her when her body is found. Looking forward to that talk.

I think I know what you're saying but this is still funny.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hmm, I kinda got the impression that killing her was Tyrell and his wife's plan (or pretty much just Tyrell's wife's plan). It didn't come across to me that Tyrell was shocked he killed her at all, his reaction more like "oh god this is real, I really just did it, it really happened, oh poo poo." I guess we'll see.

Something's been bugging me a lot for a couple episodes and I finally figured out what precisely it was: How did Vera know that Elliot was a hacker at all?

Did it come up during their conversation? Did Shayla mention it to him? It doesn't seem like something anyone would bring up. Did Shayla even know? Out of all the major and minor acquaintances in Vera's life and work that could have been computer experts, what made Elliot the obvious suspect?

Hell, even disregarding that, how did Vera even come to the conclusion that he got turned in by a hacker at all? Both Elliot and Vera's lawyer make it clear that it was idiotic for him to use the internet to telegraph his activities. Anyone paying any attention, much less a police analyst, should have been able to figure out his super secret codes...you don't need to hack programs to do it.

More to the point, all that's not even considering that anyone Vera himself worked with could have just ratted him out, as simple as that. Why did they just discount that possibility? He even knew that his own brother was a traitor anyway; was there really no one else in his circle that would've wanted him out of the picture?

As it stands, it kind of seems like Vera discovered that Elliot was not only the guy who turned him in but also a prodigious hacker because the information was magically beamed into his brain by God or something. And that's...kind of a big plot hole for such an important storyline. v:geno:v

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

One of the pieces of evidence was a picture Elliot had taken with his phone of veras gun on the table in Shaylas place. Elliot special meds were in the shot.

Basically Elliot hosed up.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 7, 2015

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I thought it was kind of cheap that the flashback showed that Elliot was responsible for Shayla going to Vera in the first place. Changing the relationship from him getting her killed by trying to help her to basically being completely responsible for her death felt a little too...cute? I'm not really sure.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

cenotaph posted:

I thought it was kind of cheap that the flashback showed that Elliot was responsible for Shayla going to Vera in the first place. Changing the relationship from him getting her killed by trying to help her to basically being completely responsible for her death felt a little too...cute? I'm not really sure.

But we knew this already so how did it change the relationship? It was stated early, on that she was only doing business with Vera because he was the only one who could get what Elliot needed and now she was stuck doing business with him, Vera thanks Elliot for bringing them together.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 7, 2015

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Was it ever explained what American Psycho was doing with the front desk guy's smartphone while he was in the shower?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

nickmeister posted:

Was it ever explained what American Psycho was doing with the front desk guy's smartphone while he was in the shower?

Monitoring software that allows you to watch what someone sends and recieves on their phone, calls messages, emails, calender events. Stuff like that. It's so he can see who is the contender for CFO. As Knowles says, only 4 people should know he was up the front runner.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 7, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This show is amazing. And watching Tyrant right after is like jumping out of a hot tub and into a pool.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

VDay posted:

Except that talk will take place in two different and indecipherable languages

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I have a feeling Mrs. Tyrell knew what was going on? She and Tyrell exchanged some sort of knowing glance and before she sent him off. Maybe the killing was outside of the plan, but I'm pretty sure they're scheming.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I'm sure it was planned, and I'm sure Tyrell's wife knew. The head of Evil Corp made it clear that the candidate's wife was important to the company and one of the reasons he was selected in the first place.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

There was something wrong with this episode. Every scene was about two persons having a conversation, mostly about what I'd call uncomfortable truths. Even at the CTO nomination party. Also Mr. Robot appeared to someone else than Elliot and alone at that.

I can't shake the feeling that the structure of this episode is hinting at something larger... Something fundamentally disturbing? Perhaps about the things the characters perceive or we are led to believe they perceive.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I read the killing as entirely unplanned. In the last episode, once Bateman was done wrecking the kitchen, his wife concludes that now they know what CTO-to-be's wife wants: to be desired (or however she phrased it).

To me it sounded like whatever they were planning at the CTO's coronation was just another attempt at seduction or something like that (for blackmail purposes?) buuuut... Wellick's hobo-beating tendencies come out, he gets just a tiny bit carried away, and kills her.

The panic he was in just after looked like he was improvising the cleanup. Someone who's a sociopath like him would've had gloves, wipes, whatever someone watching just one episode of Law and Order would've figured out is needed. Hell, he wore latex gloves when beating the homeless guy in the pilot.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

But we knew this already so how did it change the relationship? It was stated early, on that she was only doing business with Vera because he was the only one who could get what Elliot needed and now she was stuck doing business with him, Vera thanks Elliot for bringing them together.

Ah, I forgot about that. Complaint retracted.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Dessel posted:

There was something wrong with this episode. Every scene was about two persons having a conversation, mostly about what I'd call uncomfortable truths. Even at the CTO nomination party. Also Mr. Robot appeared to someone else than Elliot and alone at that.

I can't shake the feeling that the structure of this episode is hinting at something larger... Something fundamentally disturbing? Perhaps about the things the characters perceive or we are led to believe they perceive.

I'm no film student but perhaps the reason this was done was precisely so you would feel what you're feeling. Because the structure is formulated to pure simplicity, it causes you to feel uncomfortable. It could also be the fact that the episode was 100% confrontations, something that plenty of humans shy away from and find uncomfortable. This show triggers emotions in you that others can't, that's something Breaking Bad did really well too. I don't think it's being done to hint at anything other than the fact that this episode was pure, distilled confrontations.

Trabant posted:

Hell, he wore latex gloves when beating the homeless guy in the pilot.
That was episode 3.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

empty baggie posted:

I'm sure it was planned, and I'm sure Tyrell's wife knew. The head of Evil Corp made it clear that the candidate's wife was important to the company and one of the reasons he was selected in the first place.

I think the plan was that he was going to seduce the guy's wife which went successfully but because she hurt his pride he killed her in a fit of rage. His reaction afterwards and lack of preparation aren't what we would expect from a premeditated murderer. He hosed up plain and simple.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

DaveKap posted:

That was episode 3.

Oops :downs:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gonz posted:

I've seen a good 90% of all Law & Order episodes. Tyrell should have probably chucked her off the roof if he wanted to kill her and get away with it.

But nope. He not only kissed her and left his DNA on/in her mouth, but i'd imagine any NYC medical examiner worth their salt is going to try and lift some finger or palm prints off her throat.

And not just that, but wouldn't there be security cam footage somewhere on the way up to the roof of the two of them going up, but only one coming down?

You dumb, Tyrell.

Tyrell is a pretty legitimate hacker in his own right. I'm guessing it would be trivial for him to hack the medical examiner's office systems and wipe out any evidence of the crime.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Every scene centering around conflict imparted this lovely lingering tension to the psychologist's truncated response. I've got this wonderful feeling that when she cuts through being shaken and speechless, it could go anywhere.

Although I suspect she'll either handle it like a very supportive champ or recommend he find a new therapist.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Elliot's character building is just insanely good in this show. I hope Rami Malek wins some sort of award for this, I don't care what.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He found someone to share his true self with and I like that he took his boss' advice to heart. The tie in with the dog "not knowing it would be for her own good" and him making the same decision was pretty well done too. This has been a fantastic show, and my hands down favorite drama this year. I hope it wins all the awards.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I hope it wins all the awards.

It's not going to win any (major) awards, but that shouldn't matter. Awards these days are not about quality, they're about trading favors between hollywood insiders.

I just hope the show gets decent enough ratings so we can get more of it, but not so great that they do more seasons than the show can sustain.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

ashpanash posted:

It's not going to win any (major) awards, but that shouldn't matter. Awards these days are not about quality, they're about trading favors between hollywood insiders.

I just hope the show gets decent enough ratings so we can get more of it, but not so great that they do more seasons than the show can sustain.

They already ordered a second season, so hopefully the show retains its quality. This is the best thing USA has probably ever done.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

ashpanash posted:

If Sam Esmail actually sticks to his guns with the "I have a story that lasts 5-6 seasons" statement, it'll be fine.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

DaveKap posted:

If Sam Esmail actually sticks to his guns with the "I have a story that lasts 5-6 seasons" statement, it'll be fine.

Yea but I haven't seen anything to show that the ending will mret my standards so I'm just gonna quit watching.

I've seen Lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DaveKap posted:

It's always interesting to hear how far in advance showrunners plan content. Excluding shows like GoT, where up until now the major story events were already known, the most extreme contrast I can think of is Breaking Bad. IIRC, the showrunner stated at some point during S3 or S4 that while S3 was heavily planned out before they started shooting, S2 was the opposite with almost no planning week to week. Yes, they changed course during S3 when they realized one major plot point wasn't coming together the way they wanted - but as a good showrunner you have to be able to recognize it and move forward.

I'm hoping that Sam Esmail has several seasons worth of loose plot points to follow but he doesn't try to tighten it up too much, too early. Over the next few years we're bound to see new hacks, new technology, new methods of intrusion and it'd be cool if they used that to keep the show more relevant.

• Locked thread