Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

There is so much classic stuff in that thread, been reading it piecemeal all day. Really surprised it wasn't posted in here sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
the fyad mock thread is a pro click too

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720872

db franco
Jul 14, 2014
How many tents are sufficient for a 5 person backpacking trip?

I just bought a UL2 last night, and my friends are saying we would just need one more three person that we can rent.

Would it be better to go 2 tents total or 3 tents total, but get two smaller ones?

I suppose the less we have to carry the better... but just thought I'd ask from those with experience.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Fly Creek UL2? That's a very small 2 person tent and fitting two regular size guys in it will be quite tight and up close

As for how many tents, just depends on how comfortable people are with sleeping together and how many you want to carry I guess. You can split up the weight of a 3 person to some extent if you want.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

db franco posted:

I just bought a UL2 last night, and my friends are saying we would just need one more three person that we can rent.

Would it be better to go 2 tents total or 3 tents total, but get two smaller ones?

I suppose the less we have to carry the better... but just thought I'd ask from those with experience.

The answer to this question depends entirely on which UL2 you are referring to. As Levitate said, the Fly Creek UL2 is tiny, whereas the Copper Spur UL2 is much more accommodating for two people (and free-standing)

Personally, for five people, I'd think a pair of 3-person tents would be a good minimum. Alternately, three two-person tents. Putting two people in most two-person tents kind of sucks unless you are really good friends. Probably just as bad for three people in a three-person tent.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

bunnielab posted:

I actually like that idea for some of the canal hikes I do. Fishing with a pack on sucks, constantly having to move the pack while working the bank sucks, and hand carrying more than one rod sucks. A jogging stroller with some rod holders added would be perfect.

Use a deer cart with mountain bike wheels instead.

Seriously, 20mi/day is easy, any healthy person can do it (read: not fat, not old, not a wimp). It doesn't require you to move fast, you just have to not take breaks and walk all day.

If you want to do 45mi/day, that's tougher, you have to be in shape enough to keep running even when you're going uphill, and be very careful with gear selection. Any faster than that and I wouldn't want to do it self-supported; you'd be better off carrying less than 3 pounds of gear for emergencies and just hauling rear end between places with shelter, food etc.

Elevation isn't so bad, if you have camping gear. You can always stop and make up for what you lost due to feeling like poo poo after 4-6 hours of sleep and a warm meal. Elevation is great for night hiking as long as the visibility's good, since the snow makes it easier to navigate off-trail.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014

Levitate posted:

Fly Creek UL2? That's a very small 2 person tent and fitting two regular size guys in it will be quite tight and up close

As for how many tents, just depends on how comfortable people are with sleeping together and how many you want to carry I guess. You can split up the weight of a 3 person to some extent if you want.

Hm... so if mine could almost be a single tent, then would we want two more two person tents? Or is it better to have one big one?

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Keldoclock posted:

Seriously, 20mi/day is easy, any healthy person can do it (read: not fat, not old, not a wimp). It doesn't require you to move fast, you just have to not take breaks and walk all day.

No one's really arguing that it can't be done, we're just suggesting that in the context of db franco's multiperson "getting the high school gang back together, once-a-year Hoo-Rah" walking all day with no breaks, likely at different paces and levels of fitness so they won't see each other much during the day, isn't going to be the optimal experience. I would assume from db franco's questions that he isn't the most experienced backpacker, and the most common piece of advice I hear experienced long-distance hikers give to newbies is go low miles (10 or less) for at least your first week and slowly work up after that. Could they do 80 miles in 5 days in the Bob? Probably, but I bet it's going to be pretty miserable for at least some of the group.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

talktapes posted:

There is so much classic stuff in that thread, been reading it piecemeal all day. Really surprised it wasn't posted in here sooner.

oh god I thought the raisins things was just an exaggeration

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Keldoclock posted:

Use a deer cart with mountain bike wheels instead.

A deer cart would take way more work to transform it into my Mobile Bass Command Center TM than an already fancy pants jogging stroller. My friends have one that is just insane, shocks, all sorts of cargo pockets, a super adjustable handle/grip.

Kidding aside, surf fishermen already use these awesome carts to move their gear around, but they have big old sand tires.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Smoove J posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24

This page onwards gives a reader his journal entries, some cart photos (before/after the 6 mile mark), facebook updates. It's just a great thread, all around.

Holy poo poo what an amazing read. The best part is, he's planning on trying again! I checked his post history and he popped up in AI talking about his BMW and how he wants to try it again. The dude made it 20ish miles in 3 days!

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Holy poo poo what an amazing read. The best part is, he's planning on trying again! I checked his post history and he popped up in AI talking about his BMW and how he wants to try it again. The dude made it 20ish miles in 3 days!

If he wasn't such a sperglord and if I lived anywhere near Cali, I'd join him on his quest Hunter S. Thompson style just to document everything and be there when he eventually right away crumbles.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Over pretty easy terrain. Sure there's climbing but these are day hike trails in a place that's 15 minutes from shopping and restaurants. I shudder to think of him n the real wilderness

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Levitate posted:

Over pretty easy terrain. Sure there's climbing but these are day hike trails in a place that's 15 minutes from shopping and restaurants. I shudder to think of him n the real wilderness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSXJyLaP-4s

Probably this.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Hungryjack posted:

Some folks on here don't like SPOT. I love mine. Then again, I like using it for more than just "Push a button, come save my life" functionality.

The one I have is the old orginal version which is bigger than what they have now.

But since they sell PLB without all that fancy ......paid subscription stuff.......and the cost is quit reasonable.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

db franco posted:

depends on a multiple of factors.

How long do you plan on being out there. How long of a trip. What food do you plan on carrying. Water, have to carry or get from stream.

I never use a one person tent when I go out by myself. I own a two man tent just for the simple fact that when they say the tent is one man, they literally mean its a one man and no gear or nothing inside.

If your crew is not too nervy about sleeping outside, you might consider hammocks....that is if there are trees around to tie to.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

db franco posted:

Hm... so if mine could almost be a single tent, then would we want two more two person tents? Or is it better to have one big one?

Three people in a tent SUCKs because the person in the meat of the sandwich has to walk over someone to get out to take a piss. Unless your SO is with you, sleeping in a tent by yourself is so much nicer.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The advantage of a bigger tent is that you can share the load and usually it is lighter per person than everyone with their own. But sleeping in a tent with people is annoying. I've been a happier sleeper since I got a fairly light single wall 1 person tent.

If I was buying again I would get a slightly larger tent (1.5 person basically) so I could stash more gear in the tent.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

What gear do you stash in your tent?

I generally only have clothes and a few personal items. I know some people like putting their packs in there but I haven't ever done that for whatever reason

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I had my love of GPS reinforced on wednesday. I was on top of Fan Y Big in the Brecon Beacons, when the light rain the weather report had promised suddenly turned into a torrential downpour with visibility dropping to around 10 metres. I got completely turned around, and had no idea where I was heading. With my GPS, I was able to easily retrace my steps, and resume my walk. I got completely soaked though, so time to shop for some new waterproof overtrousers. I need to do it again in good weather, as the views are astounding.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

I generally only have clothes and a few personal items. I know some people like putting their packs in there but I haven't ever done that for whatever reason

One of the things I was looking for in the 1-person tent I finally settled on was the space for me and my dog to comfortably sleep in it and if it was nasty outside, to be able to bring my pack in with me (not just in the vestibule) and still maintain a minimal level of comfort to allow me to sleep. I tested it out and mine passed the test, at least in my living room.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

n8r posted:

Three people in a tent SUCKs because the person in the meat of the sandwich has to walk over someone to get out to take a piss. Unless your SO is with you, sleeping in a tent by yourself is so much nicer.

In my 3 person tent we all sleep with the head at the door, because it was actually designed well. So the person farthest from the zipper just needs to reach over. The diagram shows one person with the head at the far end, but so far in my groups we've never done that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Speaking of dogs, does anyone know of places around the bay area that allow dogs and backpacking, without having to get all the way out to the Sierra?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just bought an REI Kingdom 6 with the little garage attachment for car camping / festivals. Good lord this thing is huge. Only really used to my backpacking tent. It's ridiculous. Almost too big.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Levitate posted:

I'd like to be able to bring the pack/everything inside if it is going to be a rainy night. I put my pack in a big garbage bag now.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Levitate posted:

Speaking of dogs, does anyone know of places around the bay area that allow dogs and backpacking, without having to get all the way out to the Sierra?

Can't help you with that but I don't understand places that don't allow you to take your dogs hiking with you. I like to take my dogs with me and there are a few state parks around here that don't allow dogs at all (not even on leash) and I don't get it. Yeah there are people who get their buttholes all puckered about dog poop but why is poo poo from a domesticated dog that's picked up within a minute of it hitting the ground so much worse than all the wild animal poo poo everywhere?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Levitate posted:

I was going to suggest Henry Coe but no dogs there for some reason. There's a few suggestions on their site though.

Had a good time earlier in the summer hiking with a dog at Emigrant Wilderness, if you do feel like making the drive east.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

On Gizmodo's Indefinitely Wild blog, Wes Siler is always taking his dog camping with him in Cali and one dude even camps with his cat. Go figure. I remember Lost Coast in particular. http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/adventure-californias-lost-coast-1679173376

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Can't help you with that but I don't understand places that don't allow you to take your dogs hiking with you. I like to take my dogs with me and there are a few state parks around here that don't allow dogs at all (not even on leash) and I don't get it. Yeah there are people who get their buttholes all puckered about dog poop but why is poo poo from a domesticated dog that's picked up within a minute of it hitting the ground so much worse than all the wild animal poo poo everywhere?

Because dogs have impacts on trail systems and are generally hard on the natural animals around the trails. Some people like to not pick up after their dogs. Other people do the whole 'he's nice' thing when the dog isn't actually all that nice. Some people want to be in areas where there are only the animals that are supposed to be there.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think a lot of that poo poo is probably overstated as gently caress and the real reason is mainly "people suck at controlling their dogs and this is an area with a lot of visitors and it's better to not throw in that extra factor"

When I was in the Winds, there were a bunch of people with dogs and most of them well behaved, but you'd run across people who let them run off leash wherever the gently caress and bark at strangers and just be out of control.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I let myself get angry about the dog stuff. Dogs are cooler animals than humans. That is all.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 9, 2015

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

I think a lot of that poo poo is probably overstated as gently caress and the real reason is mainly "people suck at controlling their dogs and this is an area with a lot of visitors and it's better to not throw in that extra factor"

When I was in the Winds, there were a bunch of people with dogs and most of them well behaved, but you'd run across people who let them run off leash wherever the gently caress and bark at strangers and just be out of control.

Just takes one rear end in a top hat to ruin everything.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bear doing bear kind of stuff in Yellowstone - killing hikers.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I was a ranger at Mount Monadnock until I moved to Canada. It's possibly the most hiked mountain in the hemisphere, so it's been a big issue there. A dog ban went into effect there in '86 for a number of reasons:

First up is poop. The old timers tell me that before the ban, you couldn't find a safe spot to sit on the summit. There would be an occasional cleanup that would result in having to carry down trash bags full of dog poo poo. To be fair, that aspect was compounded by volume, but there's enough wild animal poo poo that we don't need to add to it.

Next up is problem dogs/problem owners. Poorly trained or controlled dogs would harass hikers, steal lunches, chase wildlife, etc. Barking and fighting dogs are a sure way to disrupt someone's quiet hike.

Dogs also present safety risks to their owners and themselves. More than one hiker was injured by a lunging dog on a leash pulling their owner off balance. The rocks on the mountain are rough enough to sometimes tear up foot pads, and broken legs and heat stroke weren't unheard of. Dogs sometimes died up the mountain, and even if they were only injured, dog rescues tied up resources that might have been needed if a human rescue came up.

Environmental impact was another factor. For starters, dogs pooped, peed, and rolled in sensitive alpine bogs, some of which are only finally recovering. Some would chase or even kill small animals. The presence of dogs, or even their lingering scent can lead animals to change their behavior, more so than just human scent, because they're predators. In the years since the ban, it has become much more common to see wildlife on hikes there.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
So how stupid exactly is it to go hiking alone in the mountains? I know this is a very general questions, but I've seen very varying opinions between "Don't ever do it" to "You'll be fine". Now, I am not talking about mountain climbing or doing the most difficult routes ever devised, but just some regular stuff, following marked paths etc. No dangerous wildlife either.

I did a hike in Montenegro in Durmitor national park which was probably one of the hardest things I've done my entire life but also one of the best at the same time. Some places where I had to use my hands and hold onto a rope, but otherwise, I never really felt like I was in particular danger. And that is with me not having that much experience and not being used to the mountain at all (in the area of Germany that I'm living it's all flat countryside pretty much). If I had actually known about how hard that path, I probably would not have attempted it, my guide said it was difficult but still made it sound easier. Oh well.

Anyway, I am not in Bosnia and looking to do some more hiking, and I think the routes should be a lot less frequented so I'm still not 100% sure if I should do it alone. I mean, it should actually be easier than the hiking I did in Montenegro, but still. The landmine problem here is fortunately somewhat easy to avoid as there is good information available as to the areas where there might actually still be some, and I won't be going anywhere near those areas. Of course, normal safety precautions such as letting someone know where I'm going, bringing rain gear and stuff like that I am going to do no matter what. Basically just wanted to hear some opinions about hiking alone

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Wuntvor posted:

Basically just wanted to hear some opinions about hiking alone

Im not sure what the current political situation in Bosnia is but in general hiking alone is safe. But my opinion is based on my experience in the USA.

Bosnia Trekking

Hiking blog

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Wuntvor posted:

So how stupid exactly is it to go hiking alone in the mountains? I know this is a very general questions, but I've seen very varying opinions between "Don't ever do it" to "You'll be fine". Now, I am not talking about mountain climbing or doing the most difficult routes ever devised, but just some regular stuff, following marked paths etc. No dangerous wildlife either.

I did a hike in Montenegro in Durmitor national park which was probably one of the hardest things I've done my entire life but also one of the best at the same time. Some places where I had to use my hands and hold onto a rope, but otherwise, I never really felt like I was in particular danger. And that is with me not having that much experience and not being used to the mountain at all (in the area of Germany that I'm living it's all flat countryside pretty much). If I had actually known about how hard that path, I probably would not have attempted it, my guide said it was difficult but still made it sound easier. Oh well.

Anyway, I am not in Bosnia and looking to do some more hiking, and I think the routes should be a lot less frequented so I'm still not 100% sure if I should do it alone. I mean, it should actually be easier than the hiking I did in Montenegro, but still. The landmine problem here is fortunately somewhat easy to avoid as there is good information available as to the areas where there might actually still be some, and I won't be going anywhere near those areas. Of course, normal safety precautions such as letting someone know where I'm going, bringing rain gear and stuff like that I am going to do no matter what. Basically just wanted to hear some opinions about hiking alone

I think it's pretty much quite safe and I know many people do it and survive. That being said I read too many stories about people hiking alone who get in trouble and die that would have survived if someone was there to help them. They found a hiker last week who was hiking by himself in Alaska who it looks like slipped in a creek and became disable somehow and died of hypothermia (is what they thought at the time, haven't followed up on it.) Also, the majority of deaths by cougar in NA have been people hiking alone. Not sure about bear attacks but I think you'll have a better outcome if you're with someone. These are rare things, but worth considering.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hiking alone is how you die to stupid poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Hiking alone is how you die to stupid poo poo.

Not all goons have friends. Check your privilege please.