Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

By the way, Shenmue II is going to be shown at games done quick in a few hours if you want to see the game done competently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
by a few hours you mean 3:30 in the morning right?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
It's probably going to be duckless/dartless% run so who gives a poo poo.

Anyway, it's going live in an hour.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Kuvo posted:

by a few hours you mean 3:30 in the morning right?

Well, hey, it's 6:30AM over here and I have to be awake at this time anyway for work.

edit: Definitely not as entertaining as this LP, but it's kind of surreal to see someone run this game like a well greased set of gears.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 27, 2015

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frogsiren:Updates:frogsiren:
Ep 35 - Luck be a Capsule Toy, Right? (youtube)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I keep seeing the machines for their soft drinks, but straight up, Sapporo beer is pretty drat good.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

This game keeps finding new ways to amaze.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm glad the owner put his own photo instead of, you know, the actual winner of the prize

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I just noticed Tomato Convenience Store sells "STRONGSTYLE MERIKAN CRUCKERS" :911:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

That stupid Polaroid will never not be funny.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Robert Denby posted:

That stupid Polaroid will never not be funny.

I will avenge my gambling debts on my own.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Shenmue summed up in four frames.

(source is http://www.marycagle.com)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Whoops thought I was in the webcomics thread for a second.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 31, 2015

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 36 - Retrospection (youtube)

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
That duck is the worst kind of person. He talks tough and hits on everything, and then the one time he's actually asked to demonstrate his talent he's complete poo poo at it.

That duck needs to watch some professional pick up artist videos and up his game.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
How do you make your duck not suck?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. I've had people get legitimately upset that I hated on Sonic Adventure 2 during an LP. To be fair nostalgia is most of the reason I still love Morrowind, so I understand it.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Danaru posted:

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. I've had people get legitimately upset that I hated on Sonic Adventure 2 during an LP. To be fair nostalgia is most of the reason I still love Morrowind, so I understand it.

My introduction to the elder scrolls was daggerfall, in the days before easy patching was a thing, and that's forever colored my opinions on the series.

There's no excuse for rabidly defending sonic adventure 2, especially not with knuckles rapping.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
And I thought the stock ducks where bad.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The way I see it, Shenmue's a piece of history. Even if it hasn't aged that well, you can still appreciate what it was going for and at least have some fun with how awkward the interactions are. There's been a huge surge of 90s nostalgia pieces being rebooted in the past year or two, so it's not like Shenmue 3 is at all unique and hey, it might be fun. There are plenty of games that shouldn't have gotten sequels but did anyway, and it's not stopping anything else from being made, so I'll just enjoy the fact that it gets to exist.

Also, judging from that kickstarter video, Ryo is still his completely stoic self. They even got his old voice actor back somehow.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I wouldn't chock it entirely up to nostalgia although it's a part of it. It's got just the right amount of jankyness and charm so the jank contributes to the experience. Like you said it'd be a shame if Ryo was really expressive. I guess it feels similar to how I feel about Stalker or Binding of Isaac in that I really like them but they're mediocre purely as an fps/shmup. Though Shenmue is more egregious because it's not simply mediocre, it's bad.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Anoia posted:

There's no excuse for rabidly defending sonic adventure 2, especially not with knuckles rapping.

you kidding? that's an reason to rabidly defend sonic adventure 2 if I ever saw one

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

I wouldn't chock it entirely up to nostalgia although it's a part of it. It's got just the right amount of jankyness and charm so the jank contributes to the experience. Like you said it'd be a shame if Ryo was really expressive. I guess it feels similar to how I feel about Stalker or Binding of Isaac in that I really like them but they're mediocre purely as an fps/shmup. Though Shenmue is more egregious because it's not simply mediocre, it's bad.

I'd say Shenmue 2 has enough going for it to be considered actually good, or at least interesting, but Shenmue 1 is pretty drat glacial in its pacing and really is more about the nostalgia than the game.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I like that not everything always dissolves into a fight even though it's ostensibly a martial arts drama. It happens often enough, sure, but there are other means used to progress the plot too. Games have aped Shenmue left and right in the last decade and a half, I kind of wish they stole this too.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I unironically love Shenmue, jank and all, and unironically want this third game to exist.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
As far as I'm concerned, the third Shenmue was Deadly Premonition

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Gimbal lock posted:

As far as I'm concerned, the third Shenmue was Deadly Premonition

It fits. Plus Swery's game after that, D4, has a cat that's also a woman.

It's weird.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 37 - I'm looking for Ren (youtube)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I know that everyone jokes about Ryu being a robot and all that but this episode was something special

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So it's been a while since I watched the Shenmue 1 LP, but am I right in that this is the first time there's been a fight you're forced to lose across both games? The closest I think we've gotten to it are the forced ties against body guard guy from the first game, or Li Shao Tao /Tai Chi guy's "you can't hit me" battles.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So at the end you're going to post all the screenshots you accidentally took right?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
if i can figure out how to view them

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It'll be like a memories slideshow of Ryo getting his rear end kicked by old men and schoolgirls

EDIT: Got drunk and made this

Danaru fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 7, 2015

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
get drunk more

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
The first-person camera for these fights is pretty bad. No idea why they went with that.

Danaru posted:

Kuvo posted:

get drunk more

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Danaru posted:

It'll be like a memories slideshow of Ryo getting his rear end kicked by old men and schoolgirls

:lol:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Give me your weapons, your clothes, and your duck.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I've been drinking too, but not too much since I still need to go to work tomorrow.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

something something seganet processor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Danaru posted:

9/10. Loses a point for lack of the word "drat".

• Locked thread