Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Oh that makes sense. Leftovers from whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

MrBigglesworth posted:

Oh that makes sense. Leftovers from whenever.

Some of it would also come from various option spreads, but since you're just focusing on understanding single options for now, don't worry about that yet.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
My portfolio:

TSLA
HABT
GOOG
SCTY
FB
KMX
WFM
FTNT
ILMN
LNKD
TWTR

Overall down about 15% in less than a week. I have been on the fence of going all cash for a few weeks but I convinced myself with Fall coming stocks should go up and avoid the Summer crash.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What are the cliffs on Sun Edison? Seems like a very complicated company skimming through the presentation. What is their visibility post-ITC?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It is. To understand the company you also have to understand the yield cos; it's the only way I've found to possibly explain the VSLR buyout offer.

Eventually I threw up my hands and said that there's easier money to make elsewhere.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Someone in this thread just made a bunch of money on NVDA.

It single handedly kept my total losses relatively light today.

Going out long, betting we rally off the 200 day next week.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Is anyone gambling with NBG's swings?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

DNova posted:

Is anyone gambling with NBG's swings?

A few times. Have to remember good news is bad and bad news good depending on the day of the week.

WTF SPWR. Left it on auto pilot and things looked good with First Solar but let's just forget the good news and tank this poo poo.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 7, 2015

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

So after the, uh, price move, over the last two days how do you feel about this? Was going to do reading over the weekend, tempted at these levels

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Tempted by what?

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Arkane posted:

Tempted by what?

Was tempted to buy it... price targets still in the 35-45 range, interesting long term prospects, huge sell off, etc. A few reports in at the moment and i'm quickly rethinking though. The structure is crazy convoluted and the potential liquidity issue is not something I want to be in on absent something really compelling that i'm missing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have AAPL, FB, GOOGL, MA, and TSLA.

Not a good week. :smith:

Baddog
May 12, 2001
live by the momo die by the momo

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
MCZ full retard trip report-

They are going to put out a lovely earnings report on the 13th. I am going to buy more stock. Hail Satan and the dark lords of nanocap penny stock trading. If they can repeat what they did in 2008 in these simiIar circumstances I will be a wealthy man.

They just signed a deal with Star Citizen to make controllers for them. Maybe they can sell people concept art of controllers and make millions.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

Commoners posted:

MCZ full retard trip report-

They are going to put out a lovely earnings report on the 13th. I am going to buy more stock. Hail Satan and the dark lords of nanocap penny stock trading. If they can repeat what they did in 2008 in these simiIar circumstances I will be a wealthy man.

They just signed a deal with Star Citizen to make controllers for them. Maybe they can sell people concept art of controllers and make millions.

What makes you think there will be a lovely earnings report on the 13th?

I know nothing about MCZ.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Commoners posted:

Well if Star Citizen is any indication they might make money on the promise alone. So I wouldn't consider this that bad of a bet.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
For Q1 2016 they've been in a slump due to the next gen consoles being on the market. They own triton headsets and saitek which are supposedly doing okay, but they very likely didn't make a lot of console peripheral sales due to the next gen consoles.

After this report, though, they should be doing very well due to putting out Rock Band 4, and following that should have some decent fight stick sales for fighting games and then that star citizen deal. I'm thinking May of next year they should be doing very well, and will be slowly increasing from the 13th to then.

When they put out RB4 they got up to almost $3 a share, so if they can repeat that I will be very happy.

If they flop on Rock Band, welp.

E: I'll note that I'm new to stock trading, and don't want to lose any of you coke snorting stockgoons money if you throw in on MCZ. From my limited understanding they look pretty drat solid for 2016 Q2 to Q4.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 9, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Rock Band is going to underperform- people are burnt out on peripherals, the novelty's gone.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I think it's been a long enough gap for a new generation of people to get interested in it. That being said, stuff like Rocksmith is way more valuable than a novelty music game in that you can have fun playing but you can also learn the instrument.

Either way it's a risk, I wouldn't take that gamble personally, but it could pay off or it could just not do much for you at all. Seems like you're new to investing like I am, and I'm in the industry, I wouldn't take that chance. I'd go with a stock that's more likely to continually rise in value. After talking with a few people including coworkers, the games industry is a ridiculously risky industry to invest in. You can try to gauge sales with a large amount of reviews post-launch but you'll probably have to stay on top of all that stuff.

I really hope RB4 does good for the sake of the east coast games industry. There's not many studios left in that area, and that's where I'm from originally (and would eventually like to work), so it's a hot topic for me.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 10, 2015

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
So in the midst of a changeover from trading soft rules to a hard system, I had to take a $560 L on ADBE.

Just opened up buy positions on HPQ and MYGN (ahead of earnings), and DFS @ 29.51, 31.68, and 55.28, respectively.

That overnight trading really takes the profit out of trading the highs/lows.

I have a feeling GE will be capping out it's downtrend today. Going to have to take profits or a small loss before close.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Gamesguy posted:

Going out long, betting we rally off the 200 day next week.
:)

Dipping a toe into xle here.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Learning in the market is so bittersweet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

From what I can tell, BABA is the only interesting earnings report this week. I assume, given the slowdown in China's economy, that its earnings won't be great, though I'm not sure how much of their business is outside of China.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

From what I can tell, BABA is the only interesting earnings report this week. I assume, given the slowdown in China's economy, that its earnings won't be great, though I'm not sure how much of their business is outside of China.

CSCO, I have a small bet on it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gamesguy posted:

CSCO, I have a small bet on it.
CSCO is the new INTC. So boring it puts me to sleep.

edit: Looks like they've been on a solid upward trend though. Hmm...

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
I have access to a Bloomberg terminal at school. What are some neat things I can do with it that I can't find on every "15 cool Bloomberg terminal tricks" article from a no-name finance website?

I've messed around with the terminal on my own and really appreciate the numbers-based navigation and command-line interface. There's speculation about what programming languages are used to make the interface. Any ideas from those who are familiar with it?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

So, uh, this is a thing that happened. https://abc.xyz/

... in case you were wondering why your GOOG was up 5% in after hours.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I thought my news alert was broken when I saw that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

From the source code of abc.xyz:

<p>Sergey and I are seriously in the business of starting new things. Alphabet will also include our X lab, which incubates new efforts like Wing, our drone delivery effort<a href="http://www.hooli.xyz/" target="_blank" class="hidden-link">.</a> We are also stoked about growing our investment arms, Ventures and Capital, as part of this new structure.</p>

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

So, uh, this is a thing that happened. https://abc.xyz/

... in case you were wondering why your GOOG was up 5% in after hours.

Wow, that's interesting. And kind of weird. So Alphabet is going to be a holding company for a bunch of previously internal GOOG businesses? I guess they'll be spinning some things off within the next few years.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
My paper trading portfolio is doing great whereas my actual portfolio isnt. This is upsetting.

Also PYDSD is doing alright the past couple of days, i remember researching that stock specifically amongst a handful of stocks a couple months ago and I was like, " yea right this stock is going nowhere".

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josh Lyman posted:

From the source code of abc.xyz:

<p>Sergey and I are seriously in the business of starting new things. Alphabet will also include our X lab, which incubates new efforts like Wing, our drone delivery effort<a href="http://www.hooli.xyz/" target="_blank" class="hidden-link">.</a> We are also stoked about growing our investment arms, Ventures and Capital, as part of this new structure.</p>

Click the "more" button on the front page.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Blinky2099 posted:

Click the "more" button on the front page.

I think the joke is hooli.xyz, the Google-esque company from Silicon Valley on HBO.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arzakon posted:

I think the joke is hooli.xyz, the Google-esque company from Silicon Valley on HBO.
Oh, I'm the clueless one it seems.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

China sharply depreciating Yen. gently caress: http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/10/rply-depreciate-to-yuan.html

edit: v loving hell that's a weird slip.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 11, 2015

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Yuan :eng101:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

What about him?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Comcast and 20th Century Fox are being added to the S&P 500 after close on Sep 18, but both companies are such clusterfucks that I'm not sure they're worth getting into even for the index bump.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Josh Lyman posted:

Comcast and 20th Century Fox are being added to the S&P 500 after close on Sep 18, but both companies are such clusterfucks that I'm not sure they're worth getting into even for the index bump.

To be more precise, S&P 500 is selected by company value, while some companies have multiple share classes (e.g. GOOG / GOOGL). The new move incorporates all trade lines for Comcast (CMCSA / CMCSK), Fox (FOXA / FOX) and New Corp (NWSA / NWS) into the S&P 500 index, even though the three companies are already part of the index. End result is S&P 500 is 500 companies with 505 symbols.

(Reference here: https://www.spice-indices.com/idpfi...e_download=true)

(I'm not going to play any of this poo poo at all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Just saying but don't get into KRO. The TiO2 industry is so incredibly oversaturated it's ridiculous and even more supply is coming online from a DuPont plant in Altamira, Mexico.

Kronos is almost a pure TiO2 play and the only thing they have going for them is M&A consolidation of the industry so that they can start to command pricing. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem like it would be enough to turn them around -- high quality stuff is flowing out of Europe and China is getting better at processing the stuff.

Basically, the floor hasn't been hit yet. I would not be surprised if their next three quarterly earnings are incredible stinkers.