Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Looks like this is on Steam. I liked the first one. How is 4?

100% Worth It in my opinion, especially for 20 bucks, and also especially if you liked the first one, since it's a style of game I've found not a ton of people are into.

It is incredibly goofy, probably the silliest in the series, but it's charming as all hell and the low-budgetness the game exudes only adds to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm a bit late to the Witcher party since I only started 3 yesterday, so I'm sorry if this has been mentioned. In the original Witcher game there are army recruitment posters on the walls of Vizima on which citizens have written a couple of colourful comments.

8 years later in The Witcher 3, one of the collectable Gwent cards you find...

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
That's from the books, actually.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Not a plot spoiler.

In Alien Isolation you find an audio log from Parker from the original Alien movie and he spends the whole time still complaing about how he and Brett are underpaid compared to the others.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've only just recently started playing Don't Starve but, on top of all the convenience and easy to download mods, I really like how you can tailor how prevalent things like saplings and trees or just rabbits are. Really helpful for people, like me, who get frustrated at their own incompetence.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Connoisseur posted:

I like how there's reactive dialogue in Fallout New Vegas with the lady guarding Helios One in the event you are wearing an NCR disguise AND pick a failed speechcheck, which is something I imagine very few players will ever do.

She commences combat afterwards.

If you haven't already, try shooting the war memorial in Boulder City when that NCR soldier is looking at it (make a save first if you'd like to stay in their good graces though).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That New Vegas run has been modded to use a more appealing font. Has there ever been a game where you could change the universal font in the options?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That New Vegas run has been modded to use a more appealing font. Has there ever been a game where you could change the universal font in the options?

Couldn't you do that with some of the old Final Fantasies? Maybe that was just the background graphic....

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MindlessHavok posted:

Couldn't you do that with some of the old Final Fantasies? Maybe that was just the background graphic....
Yeah, just the background colors/graphics in the dialogue boxes. Although I know the Japanese GBA port of FF4 lets you choose between all kana (as it was in the original SFC version) or a more reasonable mix of kana and kanji for the dialogue.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
In GTA 5 I shot a gas station attendant by accident, bailed before the cops got there. Later when the I came back after a mission or two they had removed the body and set up a little crime scene in police tape.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hirayuki posted:

Yeah, just the background colors/graphics in the dialogue boxes. Although I know the Japanese GBA port of FF4 lets you choose between all kana (as it was in the original SFC version) or a more reasonable mix of kana and kanji for the dialogue.

In FF7 you can go loving nuts and turn all of your dialog boxes and menus into whatever eye-searingly bad 90s gradients you want, I think it let you choose a color for each corner or something.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Secret Of Mana lets you do that as well.
Earthbound gives you many garish neon choices.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Newer games let you change the text. I'm pretty sure either Tales of Vesperia or the one after it gave you that choice. Maybe Chrono Cross did as well?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ryoshi posted:

In FF7 you can go loving nuts and turn all of your dialog boxes and menus into whatever eye-searingly bad 90s gradients you want, I think it let you choose a color for each corner or something.

FF6 had a tacky Chocobo pattern background option for menu boxes.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

FF6 had a tacky Chocobo pattern background option for menu boxes.

and if you don't choose this every time you play, you're not really playing.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
I need a game that lets me play in wingdings.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Male Man posted:

I need a game that lets me play in wingdings.

Try Microsoft Word.
It's kind of like a Write Your Own Adventure game.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden has an Al Bhed mode.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
In The Closer: Game of the Year Edition*, you meet up with philosopher Slavoj Žižek, who fights using Critique. Each enemy you can fight as him, large or small, has several streams of argument, kind of like Phoenix Wright; instead of a timing system, you have to draw conclusions. So for 5 battles, the author wrote 9+ different versions of extant dialectic. Marxist, Kantian, or Feminist, your thought attacks are there.

*Download it now, rear end in a top hat!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I haven't finished Pillars of Eternity yet (I just reached Twin Elms), but I really like that so far, it seems like disappointment is such a major theme for your party. All your characters have a personal quest to pursue, but none of them have endings that actually satisfy them at all. I guess I can see that sometimes skill checks would lead to a better ending, but that's not even the case for a lot of them, and it just ends with them feeling unfulfilled and poo poo. Not in a way that makes it feel like Obsidian dropped the ball, either, they're going all-out on making everyone feel worse for pursuing their personal journey.

And you can get in on it, too! I've been playing my Watcher as, while ultimately willing to do good and solve other problems on the way, largely motivated by not really liking their Watcher powers and wanting them gone. Well tough poo poo lady, these powers are quite likely to drive you insane until you die, seem to get worse overtime, there's no way to remove them, and the only potential way to save you from madness is just as likely to drive you even faster into it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I love it when a game's Steam Screenshots page shows that almost everyone takes a screencap at certain moments. Something about it brings a :3: feeling.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mycot posted:

I love it when a game's Steam Screenshots page shows that almost everyone takes a screencap at certain moments. Something about it brings a :3: feeling.

some games automatically save screenshots at certain points

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alouicious posted:

PS4 games do it too for trophies.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

mycot posted:

everyone has a picture of Raiden splitting it wide open

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Alouicious posted:

Is that why there's so many Dragonball Xenoverse screencaps of people's do not steal OCs doing that Nappa move?

mycot has a new favorite as of 06:16 on Aug 9, 2015

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Kaubocks posted:

everyone has a picture of Raiden splitting it wide open

I have one of Raiden vomiting while wearing a sombrero.

Oh, which reminds me: In Metal Gear Rising: Revengaence, you can roll around in the drum can disguise. If you roll too much, Raiden pops out and starts vomiting. MGR:R is the greatest game of all time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Screaming Idiot posted:

Oh, which reminds me: In Metal Gear Rising: Revengaence, you can roll around in the drum can disguise. If you roll too much, Raiden pops out and starts vomiting. MGR:R is the greatest game of all time.

Don't forget that if you have the Mariachi outfit on (and you always should :colbert:), the Box or Drum can will have the hat on top while you're disguised.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget that if you have the Mariachi outfit on (and you always should :colbert:), the Box or Drum can will have the hat on top while you're disguised.

Oh, I didn't forget. In fact, there are times when that's the only thing that keeps me going in life. It's the little flicker of love, warmth, and joy that prevents my heart from shriveling away to a cracked and withered husk.

EDIT: And I always wear the mariachi outfit unless I'm fighting Armstrong, in which case I'll wear the suit. He's a senator, you have to dress up nice.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

MGR:R is the greatest game of all time.

MGR:R is legit my favorite MG game. Such a great game.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

mycot posted:

Is that why there's so many Dragonball Xenoverse screencaps of people's do not steal OCs doing that Nappa move?

Nah, that's just everyone digging Nappa's facial expressions.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The Bee posted:

Nah, that's just everyone digging Nappa's facial expressions.

Black American 1 looks different than I exepected.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I play Children of the Nile on a somewhat frighteningly common basis because I've got a touch of the 'tism and citybuilders are my trains - it's a very good citybuilder to start with, but the little jabs at the vastly reduced life expectancy of Pharaoh are pretty amusing. "Now that you're 7, Pharaoh, you're in the prime of your life." "Happy 25th birthday, Pharaoh! Is your tomb ready yet?"

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Alien Isolation has so much great detail. It even goes a little deeper in the typical video game convention of using power tools as weapons, and shows you the other perspective: that of a pissed-off engineer supervisor:

You'll see this right after leaving the room where you get the Bolt Driver.

William Bear has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Aug 10, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

MG4 did that first you brute. MGS3 also made Snake vomit if you spun him quickly enough in the survival viewer.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

MG4 did that first you brute. MGS3 also made Snake vomit if you spun him quickly enough in the survival viewer.

Making him puke in the survival viewer also cured any food poisoning you had!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

It also lowered your stamina. :smith:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It also disgusted Eva if she was about.

MGS3 is the best.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It also disgusted Eva if she was about.

MGS3 is the best.

It truly is but I have great hopes for The Phantom Pain being in the same league

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I was replaying Ace Combat Zero, and I love how in later missions the enemy forces start making GBS threads their pants upon noticing you showing up on the battlefield. Most games don't even acknowledge how much of a badass you are but not Ace Combat, and it's just one of the reasons why I love the PS2-era games so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

TheKennedys posted:

I play Children of the Nile on a somewhat frighteningly common basis because I've got a touch of the 'tism and citybuilders are my trains - it's a very good citybuilder to start with, but the little jabs at the vastly reduced life expectancy of Pharaoh are pretty amusing. "Now that you're 7, Pharaoh, you're in the prime of your life." "Happy 25th birthday, Pharaoh! Is your tomb ready yet?"

Children of the Nile is an awesome city builder. I liked how the noble's mansions would increase/change based on how wealthy they were and what kind of services you had available to them. Like if you had a statue maker in your city they would decorate their mansion with little statues, or if you had a Tree Seller they would get a palm grove garden.

I also liked when they threw their little parties and your generals and scribes and stuff would get invited.