Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Sorry I have no idea why I thought the graphics card megathread would be a good place to ask about graphics cards. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The R9 290 will be within that price range, though I'd be careful if your PSU is a few years old.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Thanks, that's the one I was looking nice at. The psu is brand new.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Should be perfectly fine then.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Thanks, that's the one I was looking nice at. The psu is brand new.
What model? Some are better than others; like I wouldn't try running a 290anything on a TR2 even a brand new one.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Sorry I have no idea why I thought the graphics card megathread would be a good place to ask about graphics cards. :rolleyes:

lol nice, I like the rolleyes there it really pushed your point through. also the second rolleyes in the parts thread in case anybody missed the wit (I almost did, but thankfully you did it twice like I said)

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Also nice how he apparently did look at the OP, which is a start, but somehow missed the very first line.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Phantom Pain uses the same engine, probably with even more optimizations since then. I mean the port was scheduled for the 15th of September and it was going so well they moved it back to the 1st to launch with the consoles. I don't think I've ever seen a game reverse-delayed in my life.
Brink? :laugh:

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

beejay posted:

Also nice how he apparently did look at the OP, which is a start, but somehow missed the very first line.

Sorry. I don't post/read here often (obviously), I'm not trying to be a jerk.

But I think my point about the info about the "best" good being 3 years old stands. If it was important enough to be included in the first place, I don't see why it couldn't be updated just a little bit.

I won't poo poo up this thread anymore tho cause I'm clearly in the wrong.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
buy a 290

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

craig588 posted:

If you reserved an update with the first version of the updater and haven't run windows update since to get the updated version that'll let you choose when to update to Windows 10 it'll forcibly install Windows 10 a few days after it gets the "go" signal from Microsoft. The newer version alerts you when it receives the "go" but lets you defer upgrading indefinitely.

I think I'm still on the first version, then. Luckily, the forced upgrade to 10 won't go through because I don't have enough space on my C: partition. :downs:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My 5850 ran Ground Zeroes at 1440p high settings. That engine is insanely optimized.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Sorry. I don't post/read here often (obviously), I'm not trying to be a jerk.

But I think my point about the info about the "best" good being 3 years old stands. If it was important enough to be included in the first place, I don't see why it couldn't be updated just a little bit.

I won't poo poo up this thread anymore tho cause I'm clearly in the wrong.

Lol sorry I legit wasn't trying to bust your balls, I really was trying to direct you to the right place!

Edit: the OP should be updated though, you aren't wrong there

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So MSI technical support is incompetent. I've told them three times that you just can't buy a GTX 970 and throw it in SLI with another one. I'm trying to get them to tell me what specific MSI I should buy for SLI with my Golden Edition. I bought a short board Zotac from BrownThunder that just would not work in SLI even with DifferntSLIAuto.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SlayVus posted:

So MSI technical support is incompetent. I've told them three times that you just can't buy a GTX 970 and throw it in SLI with another one.

I can understand why they would think that you can do that, given that NVIDIA says so too.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/faq#c17

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SlayVus posted:

So MSI technical support is incompetent. I've told them three times that you just can't buy a GTX 970 and throw it in SLI with another one. I'm trying to get them to tell me what specific MSI I should buy for SLI with my Golden Edition. I bought a short board Zotac from BrownThunder that just would not work in SLI even with DifferntSLIAuto.

Sell both cards and get a 980 Ti, it will be way better because of the increased VRAM.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SlayVus posted:

I believe it's specifically zotac that doesn't work in SLI with other cards.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

The Iron Rose posted:

I believe it's specifically zotac that doesn't work in SLI with other cards.

I think this is the case

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I think this is the case

I went through this four months ago with Nvidia tech support, basically a lot of non-reference 970's won't SLI with 970's of other brands. Yes, that contradicts every FAQ they've ever written but they basically told me "welp, that's the way the cookie crumbles, eat poo poo".

Edit: for me the reference Zotac wouldn't SLI with the three-fan or the one-fan Gigabyte.

Edit 2: also I found out later that the Gigabyte 3-fan and 1-fan cards make the best possible SLI combo if there's no gap between cards, like many Micro-ATX boards. Install the one-fan version below the 3-fan and it only blocks 1 and a half fans and they both run cool and quiet.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 9, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hey guys this thread is really long and the cards recommended in the OP are from 2012.

What is the recommended card for less than $250?

I don't know much about the current market, I only bought the last card for my aging (now dead) computer after the old card but the dust. It had no integrated graphics and I needed to do some work. In a land where higher numbers don't always mean better, I'm not sure where to start.

I currently have an MSI R7 260x, but it's exhibiting a random black screen error that some people get. I purchased it over a year ago so at this point I will just buy a new one.

Oh and I only have a 650w psu

Probably best bet is something in the 280/290 series for AMD - otherwise if you're not against refurb/used cards, Newegg has 900 series refurbs & EVGA has some 700 series cards in the $150-200 along with 900 series around $220-280.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Shumagorath posted:

There were OSX point releases that were worse than Win10. Remember that one where the scrolling direction was arbitrarily changed to be one that made sense for touch screens when no Macs have them?

Windows 10 just did this on my Asus laptop

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

dissss posted:

Crazy idea: Touch your screen, see what happens.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

Yeah Mac reversed the two-finger touchpad scroll axis to mimic the way it works on smartphones/ipods. Windows 10 now does it as well by default but they let you change it back.

In GPU news, now I'm wondering why AMD didn't launch the dual GPU fury out of the gate if there's already pictures of the prototype. It would have actually been much faster than Nvidia's best, which is what each company seems to try for, leapfrogging eachother on "fastest card" claims.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Could it be some yield issue for such a big die?

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah Mac reversed the two-finger touchpad scroll axis to mimic the way it works on smartphones/ipods. Windows 10 now does it as well by default but they let you change it back.
If you migrate/upgrade to lion or newer it will keep the old scroll behavior while a fresh install will enable the reversed 'natural scroll', but it's just a simple setting change in the trackpad's preferences to make it behave the old way.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

There were OSX point releases that were worse than Win10. Remember that one where the scrolling direction was arbitrarily changed to be one that made sense for touch screens when no Macs have them? Or when Yosemite introduced a new network stack that had to be rolled back after a round of seppuku?

this makes sense for touchpads (i.e. most macs) and actually feels legit good. utterly bizarre if you've got a mouse plugged in though

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DaNzA posted:

Could it be some yield issue for such a big die?
Pretty much this. The interposer+HBM have had yield issues until as recently as a little over a week ago.

Not to mention that the card itself, if it isn't dual Nano, will pull 600+ watts :unsmigghh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Pretty much this. The interposer+HBM have had yield issues until as recently as a little over a week ago.

Not to mention that the card itself, if it isn't dual Nano, will pull 600+ watts :unsmigghh:

Hmmm, now where can I get a PSU for my octa-crossfire Fury x2 setup? I only need 3KW or so!

Someone even did it with 4x 295x2s!:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Last I checked the only way to get that to work is to basically have it run as two quad-crossfire setups on the same board, since each card is internally crossfired.

Looks like you're gonna want to go buy a pair of 1600 kW PSUs. And find a couple 20 amp circuits in your house somewhere.

e: You could run them all as separate GPUs for hilariously powerful double precision compute, though! :science:

e2: At that point you might want to find four 7990s though and start cranking the clocks until they crash. Eight teraflops double precision compute? Hell yeah.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 10, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmm, now where can I get a PSU for my octa-crossfire Fury x2 setup? I only need 3KW or so!

Compare and Contrast: Historical edition! (You know what commercial this is.)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

What don't you understand about "the future is fusion"? You're gonna need Mr Fusion to power that octafire 295x2 rig :laugh:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It reminds me of a V8 engine.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

The Deadly Hume posted:

It reminds me of a V8 engine.

I really like the Corsair Air 380T except for the LED pattern on the front.

:hitler:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 10, 2015

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Looks like a bitcoin mining rig, here are some more of them.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

My stomach turned when I saw the cooling radiators sitting in a pile together.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Is it worth it to upgrade from a 2GB GTX 670 to 4GB R9 290?

The 290 is on sale for $205 after rebates, no tax. It seems like I can get up to $150 by selling the 670.

I run 2560x1600.

The 670 has served me well, but recent games (i.e. GTA V) makes it sluggish at higher settings. But I'm concerned that the R9 290 won't be substantially better.

Heat/power are not problems.

sincx fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 10, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

For a 45-65 dollar differential depending on how much you chuck the 670 for, I don't see why not.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sincx posted:

The 290 is on sale for $205 after rebates, no tax. It seems like I can get up to $150 by selling the 670.

I run 2560x1600.

The 670 has served me well, but recent games (i.e. GTA V) makes it sluggish at higher settings.

If you can do the upgrade for a net cost of ~$60? Hell yeah do it! A sub-$240 290 is always a great value. Just watch out for the noise level of reference coolers.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

sincx posted:

I run 2560x1600.

The 670 has served me well, but recent games (i.e. GTA V) makes it sluggish at higher settings. But I'm concerned that the R9 290 won't be substantially better.

Heat/power are not problems.

The 290 is a much faster card and that is a great price so yes.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
in the 3d mark API overhead test with DX12, about what score should 2x gtx 980 at close to stock speeds get? I've been having driver issues and I can't find the compare for the API test, just the other benchmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Good things coming out of Open GL land. Imagination Tech (PowerVR) has a demo of their running some prototyle Vulkan on some very low-power hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_I8an8jXuM