Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
It amoritzes pretty nicely if you drink a lot of fizzy stuff :shrug:

Especially compared to overpriced crap like sodastream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

2DCAT posted:

he's referring to a soda siphon + CO2 cartridge. Depending on the cocktail though, you'll probably want to go with carbonated mineral water. I use Pierrier.

thank you

Ralith posted:

I made an effortpost a while ago. It does not involve soda siphons or cartridges.

There's literally no reason to use mineral water. You can even get the same additives yourself if you really want those so-subtle-they're-irrelevant trace tastes.

thank you for your efforts

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015
So I refined my "Blood Meridian" cocktail I posted about earlier. It's a basic bitch one note thing, but hey, it's my first creation:

Into an Old Fashioned glass with ice goes:
-1.5 oz vodka (I used Luksusowa)
-1 oz blood orange liquer
-Fill the glass with blood orange San Pellegrino
-1 or 2 dashes of orange bitters

Is it incredibly creative and original? I don't think so. But it's hella tasty and drinks easily.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Is there a good "summery" recipe with grand marnier as the primary ingredient?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's half Marnier and half Gin, but the Red Lion is a nice citrusy drink, and I tend to prefer citrus for summer. Gin, Marnier, Orange juice, Lemon juice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Any good reciepes with disarono? Found an almost full bottle in my liquorvcabinet

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

bunnyofdoom posted:

Any good reciepes with disarono? Found an almost full bottle in my liquorvcabinet
Disaronno is an amaretto. Just a page or two ago we were talking about how tasty amaretto sours are! Good hot weather drink too, IMO.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I'm really fond of that Morganthaler recipe I posted

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay I finally made my first whiskey sour.

2 oz EW black
1 oz simple syrup
3/4 oz lemon juice

I realize that adding a bit of egg white is traditional, but I didn't really want to. I'm thinking of trying the rittenhouse bonded rye next to see how it compares, but this is downright tasty, and my wife who hates whiskey of all types said "it's not terrible!"

(is that ratio reasonable? should it be more lemon and less syrup? more everything because it's summer?)

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 5, 2015

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Jesus, an oz of SS is a lot. Usual ratio is more like 3/4 lemon and either 1/2 or 3/4 SS depending on how sweet you tend to like things and how tart your lemon juice is.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Jesus, an oz of SS is a lot. Usual ratio is more like 3/4 lemon and either 1/2 or 3/4 SS depending on how sweet you tend to like things and how tart your lemon juice is.

Hmm, alright. I'll give it another try, still 2 oz of spirit, though?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah that works. I reaaaally recommend that egg white though. If you find those new ratios not sweet enough try supplementing it with a quarter ounce of Amaretto instead of more simple -- I don't like to make sours without it, honestly

edit: if you're worried about it tasting "eggy" I promise it won't, it's mostly there in recipes as a texture thing -- you get a smooth, creamy feel that makes for basically my favorite drink in the world. Also if (after you mix the cocktail) you dash a little bit of bitters on top of your drink that will overpower and mask any slight egg smell you get, without really altering the flavor of the drink.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 6, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

goferchan posted:

Yeah that works. I reaaaally recommend that egg white though. If you find those new ratios not sweet enough try supplementing it with a quarter ounce of Amaretto instead of more simple -- I don't like to make sours without it, honestly

Pretty bare bones other than straight liquor, actually! So, yeah, no amaretto. I'll see how it is without.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fee brothers is making a gin barrel aged orange bitter and it's pretty ducking good!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

Fee brothers is making a gin barrel aged orange bitter and it's pretty ducking good!

this is extremely relevant to my interests

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015
So I tried making a sangria the other day. Literally first time, spur of the moment decision.

-Half a bottle of cheap cabernet sauvignon
-Half a bottle of even cheaper white zinfandel
-2 cans of sprite
-Amounts of sugar and cinnamon that I can't remember
-A shot of Jim Beam
-A bunch of cut up lemons and limes

For a first time effort, I thought it was loving delicious. Anyone else have some recipes? Or suggestions for next time?

Edit: Meant sangria, not sangrita. gently caress, I'm already drunk and have one of those mtn dews in front of me.

Failed Nihilist fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 9, 2015

Gropes
Mar 21, 2011

It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.

Mr. Wookums posted:

You mean this?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I suppose for a few years, but yeah.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Failed Nihilist posted:

So I tried making a sangria the other day. Literally first time, spur of the moment decision.

-Half a bottle of cheap cabernet sauvignon
-Half a bottle of even cheaper white zinfandel
-2 cans of sprite
-Amounts of sugar and cinnamon that I can't remember
-A shot of Jim Beam
-A bunch of cut up lemons and limes

For a first time effort, I thought it was loving delicious. Anyone else have some recipes? Or suggestions for next time?

Edit: Meant sangria, not sangrita. gently caress, I'm already drunk and have one of those mtn dews in front of me.

1 750 ml bottle red wine
¾ cup Grand Marnier
1 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
1 oz 2:1 simple syrup, or 1½ oz 1:1 simple syrup
1 tsp Angostura bitters

^^ this is from Jeffery Morgenthaler's blog and he's a dude who knows his poo poo. That's basically it for the recipe, it's about as simple as it sounds, but there are some other points in the blog post that are pretty important: "If you don’t think you can spare the ten minutes to juice fresh oranges, pick up a six-pack of beer instead" and "Do use decent-quality orange liqueur in your sangria. Remember, garbage in, garbage out". Might sound a little harsh, but like any recipe ever, you are gonna get what you pay for and higher quality ingredients mean you're gonna drink better poo poo.

Sangria is pretty hard to gently caress up but if you enjoyed what you made & are now seeking perfection, and if you want to refine your recipe instead of just switching it and using someone else's I would recommend experimenting with fresh-squeezed citrus, simple syrup, and soda water instead of dumping in a couple cans of Sprite. I can almost guarantee that after poking around you'll find something even better than the stuff you just made. The Jim Beam sounds super weird but if it tastes good I won't hold it against you; I bet Grand Marnier or Cointreau would play really nicely, though.

At the end of the day Sangria is a pretty vague concept and there's not one single "correct" recipe but the one thing I can say for sure is that if you're juicing your own fruit it's gonna be very noticeably better and that basically goes for anything

edit: also you don't need to use really nice wine but depending on what you mean by "cheap" , better wine could mean better sangria. there are awesome wines in the $10 range that you could use but if you're talking $5 gas station stuff, just upgrading the wine could move you towards something really delicious.

Hope none of this comes off as me being an rear end in a top hat or pretentious -- it sounds like you really liked your sangria, which is awesome, but for me the first step in getting into cocktails was finding something I liked, then finding the ways it could be improved, and trying to perfect it to my tastes. I would say keep making sangria , do it slightly differently every time, figure out what you like and don't like about the changes each time you make it, and eventually land on The Most Perfect loving Sangria Recipe and then post it in this thread so I can make it. Godspeed

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 9, 2015

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That's pretty weird because most gins aren't "aged," let alone in a barrel, and Fee uses glycerin in all their bitters instead of booze, so why booze barrel flavored?

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 9, 2015

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I agree with the barrel aged gin thing but I can say that I don't really give a poo poo because that gin barrel orange bitters they do is great, and then the whiskey barrel aged one they do is even better. Easily the two best products Fee Brothers put out, whether they're actually legitimately what they say they are or not.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

nrr posted:

I agree with the barrel aged gin thing but I can say that I don't really give a poo poo because that gin barrel orange bitters they do is great, and then the whiskey barrel aged one they do is even better. Easily the two best products Fee Brothers put out, whether they're actually legitimately what they say they are or not.

FWIW I have seen several barrel aged gins before. Journeyman's makes a pretty good one, and unfortunately I can't remember the others I've seen/consumed. Most gin may not be barrel aged, but there are some that are.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I wasn't saying that there are not barrel-aged gins. I know that there are. It's silly because they are already used barrels, not new and because it's a rare practice. Most people make bitters using booze, so it's amusing to me that Fee Brothers (who only use glycerin in their extractions) are making a "barrel aged gin" orange bitters... How many more silly buzz words can we fit in there? I'm sure they're tasty because citrus bitters and juniper as well as oak are good combos, but commmmmeeeee onnnnnnn

Gropes
Mar 21, 2011

It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.
From what I understand they used the barrels left from making Ransoms barrel aged gin. Now I have nothing to defend that statement as it was a conversation I had with someone at a competition but there you go.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Serving a double batch of Odoherty's punch from the Wondrich book at a party right now, made of Smith & Cross and Batavia arrack. First tasting note: "it smells like the Holocaust, and yet I'm going back for a second cup..."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

nrr posted:

Their peach bitters are excellent. The chocolate mole bitters are also pretty on point. In general though, the glycerin thing limits their ability to be creative because things get way too sweet with glycerin.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Kenning posted:

Their peach bitters are excellent. The chocolate mole bitters are also pretty on point. In general though, the glycerin thing limits their ability to be creative because things get way too sweet with glycerin.

yeah ok, I'll agree the peach bitters do bring an incredible stonefruit aroma to anything I use them in (we pretty much only have fee bros bitters to play with apart from angostura and peychauds) and I haven't tried their chocolate mole bitters, but their Aztec chocolate bitters (or chocolate Aztec, I cant remember the exact wording of the name) are excellent as well. They bring an excellent dark chocolate/cocoa aroma that doesn't have too much sweetness to it, but has that badass rich, dark chocolate flavor to it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What's everyone's favourite cocktails with coffee? I've been experimenting with different combinations and so far my favourite is a 3:3:1 combination of Gold Rum (I was out of White so I used Mount Gay Eclipse), black coffee (Just coffee and water) and Illyquore coffee liqueur (To sweeten it slightly). I like the occasional cocktail with the 10 kilograms of sugar and cream (Who doesn't right?) but I don't really want to have a sundae, I'd much rather a slightly bitter, strong coffee tasting drink. Anything else on those lines? I've subbed the Rum for Vodka (And Spiced Rum [Kraken] too) and they were good as well. I don't have a huge bar right now but I'm down to buy some needed ingredients.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I have no good recipe for you, but I was just thinking about this thread earlier today and wondered if the guy with the CO2 rig (or anyone, really) had carbonated cold-brewed coffee yet. Add a little honey, and that could get awfully tasty.

....oh, yeah, cocktail thread. Uh, add some bourbon? Or maybe an amaro.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

pgroce posted:

I have no good recipe for you, but I was just thinking about this thread earlier today and wondered if the guy with the CO2 rig (or anyone, really) had carbonated cold-brewed coffee yet. Add a little honey, and that could get awfully tasty.

No, but now I'm going to the next time I pick some up. That sounds pretty good. Though carbonating stuff with dairy in it is always a little risky.

Maybe benedictine in place of the honey?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

On an impulse I bought a bottle of bird dog blackberry whiskey. I clearly need to stick with Leopold Brothers for flavored whiskey in the future. It's not as bad as the cheap blackberry brandy I bought as a 21-year-old, but it's still too sweet to drink straight. Any ideas for what to do with it? So far I only thought of maybe 1 part whiskey, 1/2 part lemon juice, and some soda water (3 parts?) for a lemonade sort of highball.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I bet blackberry would go great with quinine. Mix it with tonic? Or maybe add a small amount to mezcal.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'll try that too, thanks. Should I add any citrus with the whiskey and tonic, or just let it stand like that?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Hard to go wrong with a good dash of lime juice if you have it handy. Most tonic water/syrup is reasonably citrusy to begin with, so it won't make or break the drink.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

pgroce posted:

Some places have started serving cold brew coffee on nitro. Coffee shop near me just got a tap and I'm excited to try it. Supposedly some places are canning it with the widget and everything.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'll admit I've never tried it and maybe it's amazing but that sounds a bit like gilding the lily to me.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I've had it, it's alright. Kinda weird, like flat Guinness, but that also might have just been the coffee base itself.

My resto makes an amazing cold brew with salt, sugar and cream and hazelnut whipped cream and I think it would be AMAZING on nitro draft, but the plain coffee that I then have to add sugar and cream to didn't do it for me.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 12, 2015

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
It's drat fine, I prefer cold brew concentrate cut with soda.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Any recommendations for recipes to ease me into Campari?

I bought a bottle of it, it has an amazing herby taste to begin with but then tastes like bile when it hits the back of my throat. I thought it might be better once I used it in a cocktail but it's still too bitter for my liking.

I've read a few people who have started off hating it then something clicks and they love it. I'd like to get to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Tea Bone posted:

Any recommendations for recipes to ease me into Campari?

I bought a bottle of it, it has an amazing herby taste to begin with but then tastes like bile when it hits the back of my throat. I thought it might be better once I used it in a cocktail but it's still too bitter for my liking.

I've read a few people who have started off hating it then something clicks and they love it. I'd like to get to that point.

there are some decent recipes that use campari ice cubes floating around the internet, with the thought process being that the cocktail changes flavor over time. doing something like that might help you work your way into campari.