Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thirteenth Step posted:

Can I play Sky Go on a Fire TV stick?

I'm torn between that and the Roku and can't decide.

Not sure, try the Fire TV and Ftv stick thread.
Also the Samsung 65js9500 was on BuyDig (authorized retailer) for 3000 yesterday. Usually 5k. Anyone snag it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Thirteenth Step posted:

Can I play Sky Go on a Fire TV stick?

I'm torn between that and the Roku and can't decide.

Sky Go support is sporadic on the Fire TV stick. Officially it doesn't work. Unofficially version 4.13 of the apk works for some people (minus Sky News). Sometimes even then that doesn't work. So if the Roku has official support and this is a deal breaker just get the Roku.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Ok, recommend a TV to me. I want a 50-55" 1080p. It will be used for DVDs/streaming and my PS4. I don't watch sports. I don't want a smart TV, I just want a dumb screen. The best thing I came up with in 1/2 hour of research is the LG 55LF6000; tell me if there's something better.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Did any of your research include this thread? Just get a Vizio. Low input lag, good price, decent picture quality.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I don't want a smart TV, and Vizio only appears to sell smart TVs.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Craptacular posted:

Don't use the apps then. :shrug:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Craptacular posted:

You're going to want to buy a smart tv anyway. It's in everything and adds maybe $5 to the price. Manufacturers that still make dumb tvs put their worst panels in them.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Craptacular posted:

so you haven't read the thread then

a big dumb screen is going to get you a big bad screen

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
In the next few months I'll be buying the largest decent TV I can get for a thousand bucks. It will likely never be used for sound. Do I want the 65 in Vizio E65-C3?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

1997 posted:

Did any of your research include this thread? Just get a Vizio. Low input lag, good price, decent picture quality.

Umm which Vizio?

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

Coredump posted:

Umm which Vizio?

E-Series if you don't want 4k and are ok with a slight hit in picture quality. 2015 M-Series if you want 4k and a slightly better picture.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

end mill facade posted:

In the next few months I'll be buying the largest decent TV I can get for a thousand bucks. It will likely never be used for sound. Do I want the 65 in Vizio E65-C3?

Yeah, that's probably the best bet.

I'd look around when it's time to see if a 70" goes on sale anywhere. A 70" Sharp Aquos might not be a bad call but would need a hefty price drop to hit 1k.

Also see what Samsung flavor of the week is on sale at that point.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
How is Sony warranty service? Debating if I want to bother with an extended warranty.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Our six year old TV just bit it. I don't have a next-generation system at the moment, and 99% of my content comes in by way of a Chromecast; I'm guessing 4K is not worth it for me at this point? [would it even if I had a PS4/XB1?]

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

My parents want me to get them a sound bar because they don't like the sound quality of their TV. They're looking for something not too much above $100. Is that reasonable? Also are there any pitfalls that could crop up that would prevent it from working with their TV? (I know practically nothing about sound bars)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

As long as the TV has optical out and any devices you have connected to it are set to the proper format, you won't have a problem.

Vizio has a 29" and 38" soundbar under $100 on Amazon. Someone in the thread got one and liked it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

sellouts posted:

As long as the TV has optical out and any devices you have connected to it are set to the proper format, you won't have a problem.

Vizio has a 29" and 38" soundbar under $100 on Amazon. Someone in the thread got one and liked it.

I got one of the cheap 29" Vizio sounds bars along with my Vizio TV (yay for cross promotion) and it's pretty drat solid for what it is. Yes I've had full surround sound before, but my current apartment sucks and is too small, so the soundbar is fine AND girlfriend approved.

Edit: also the Vizio sound bars have a TON of connection options, so you don't even need optical (it's preferable, but if it's an older/cheaper model you may not have that option)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yes I've had full surround sound before, but my current apartment sucks and is too small, so the soundbar is fine AND girlfriend approved.

This man gets it

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

havenwaters posted:

You're going to want to buy a smart tv anyway. It's in everything and adds maybe $5 to the price. Manufacturers that still make dumb tvs put their worst panels in them.

Speaking of smart tv's, does anyone have a Samsung smartv with network connectivity issues? It seems that every single time they push an update it nearly bricks mine - the network settings straight up crash (or freeze the tv) until I manage to get it updated somehow. Considering it's a pain to update software when you can't connect to the internet, this is really making me want to drop Samsung in the future.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My family has several and has no problems.

Why not update via usb?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

One of mine has a different issue. 2013 Samsung UN60F7100 likes to just disable/remove the "update firmware" option so that's fun. Not sure why it does that sometimes.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

havenwaters posted:

One of mine has a different issue. 2013 Samsung UN60F7100 likes to just disable/remove the "update firmware" option so that's fun. Not sure why it does that sometimes.

Test internet connection then it will ungrey itself

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

What's up 3rd broken TV, as soon as they turned it on it there were black shatter lines all over it.

TV was originally scheduled to be delivered on 31st, now arrived on the 14th because they kept calling the day before and breaking the date.

Showing up as free because it's a replacement for the 2nd TV.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Had a friend just get a Vizio from Amazon that came totally shattered. Granted that's the fault of the lovely rear end third party shippers they use.

When I bought my Samsung plasma back in 2008/9 (which is still prettier than any LCD 1080p TV I've seen on the market today), I think the only reason it survived the shipping process is because it's a 90 pound tank.

Good God those freight guys treat the packages like absolute garbage.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BonoMan posted:

Had a friend just get a Vizio from Amazon that came totally shattered. Granted that's the fault of the lovely rear end third party shippers they use.

When I bought my Samsung plasma back in 2008/9 (which is still prettier than any LCD 1080p TV I've seen on the market today), I think the only reason it survived the shipping process is because it's a 90 pound tank.

Good God those freight guys treat the packages like absolute garbage.

Plasmas were packed much better than modern lcds are. My F8500 plasma is under 2" thick but the box it came in was 16.9" thick

A modern LCD box on a 60" tv you are looking at 5-7" thickness of the box.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A lot of that was due to their weight. Also, I believe an LCD is a little more tolerate of some bending force whereas a plasma isn't at all.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

The shipping guys for the 3rd TV said they're picking up multiple TV's a week that are hosed up and they're almost always Vizios. Anecdotal but my problems are 50% Amazon and 50% shippers. Amazon said they were having problems with their stock being broken before it ever got to shipping but said it's been fixed, obviously it hasn't or I wouldn't be on my 4th TV now.

Just don't buy Vizios from Amazon, this poo poo is ridiculous.

Farlo
Jan 12, 2015
I'm interested in the Sony xbr 850b and would like to hear impressions from goon owners of the 49-65" models (If I'm not mistaken size aside the panels and other features are exactly the same?). I'm in the apparent minority of folks for whom 3d is one of the critical features. I haven't seen active 3d but if a store demo reveals that I am one of those who doesn't notice the flickering then I'd be open to the xbr 850c as well. I'm not picky about picture quality but the 55" is within my budget so I figure I may as well have everything triluminos, sony's supposed top tier upscaling, etcetera, have to offer. I'm also interested in the PSnow service which I never see mentioned in reviews. I neither own a ps3/4 not plan to get one and am a very casual gamer so it sounds like it makes sense for me, has anyone tried it? I think I read somewhere upthread or elsewhere that the 850c series has some issues, what's the story there?

Finally does anyone know if "Video & Audio Center" is a reputable seller? If my tv arrives damaged would they take it back and ship a replacement, is that Amazon's responsibility or would I have to deal with Sony? I'm new to online shopping derp

many thanks

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Huh I didn't know they were building PSNow into TVs. I can't tell you how it works there but I tried it on the PS4 and the free trial worked really, really surprisingly well, and I don't even have a killer internet connection. Even really twitchy games played great over streaming and most of the time you wouldn't even know they weren't running natively. I didn't keep the subscription because with the game selection at the time I didn't think I'd use it enough to justify the (kinda pricey) cost but the selection's only improved since then

edit: like you know it's $25 a month or so, right? if you're a really casual gamer you could probably just buy a PS3 and a few games to keep you busy for the cost of 6 months of PSNow. I love playing video games but even then I didn't feel like I would play enough to make the sub cost worth it. Also you'll need to buy at least one controller for it

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 16, 2015

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
My new Sony KBL60W850B was bought from Video and Audio Center, and it came in no problem (despite being shipped by Pilot Freight, who I seem to recall was kind of iffy for safe deliveries).

I can't find the info anymore but I believe they were listed as Fulfilled by Amazon, which meant that it was actually stocked/stored in an Amazon faculty until I bought it and they sent it to me.

I assume if you did have any issues and the vendor gave you a hard time that you could escalate it with Amazon directly since they have a vested interest in those third party transactions through their storefront going well and you being satisfied.

Digging the TV so far. Really nice having a 1080P TV after nine years of using gaming consoles that support that resolution (Witcher 3 is drat pretty). The Sony looks nice though I think the old plasma had a softer look that kind of covered up some deficiencies in the signal from my cable box. Looking forward to testing out the new system and my Visio SB4051-C0 soundbar setup with a nice Blu-Ray or some episodes of Hannibal. Thanks everyone for their advice and suggestions during this TV search.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

All the TV's were from Amazon itself, not a third party seller. I'd never buy a TV from a Bob's Electronics online.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's worked out for you really well so far I would keep doing what you're doing

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Farlo posted:

Finally does anyone know if "Video & Audio Center" is a reputable seller? If my tv arrives damaged would they take it back and ship a replacement, is that Amazon's responsibility or would I have to deal with Sony? I'm new to online shopping derp

many thanks

They have a 4.8 rating with 4200 reviews. Looks pretty good.

I assume you deal with them since that particular model is not fulfilled by Amazon.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

sellouts posted:

That's worked out for you really well so far I would keep doing what you're doing

I'm under no risk of actually losing my money unlike getting 3 lemons from a Bob's Electronics.

But more importantly, are you really this thin skinned little bitch you come across as in your post history of this thread?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Botnit posted:

I'm under no risk of actually losing my money unlike getting 3 lemons from a Bob's Electronics.

But more importantly, are you really this thin skinned little bitch you come across as in your post history of this thread?

Yes?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I read somewhere that all Criterion Collection Blu-Rays have a TV calibration mode accessible, but how do you get to it? I have a copy of The Night Porter for reference but don't see it anywhere

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I ordered a 70w850b last year and I think the heft of the thing saved it too (box weight is over 100lbs.) The box was smashed in one corner so I made the guys wait when I opened it. Everything looked fine until I pulled it out to setup. One of the legs was bent/smashed in. It took nearly a loving month to get a replacement. Fuckers. This was more a problem from buying from "buydig.com", not ordering a TV in general. I'm sure Amazon would have replaced it and credited me $200 with a 3 minute conversation.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ddogflex posted:

I ordered a 70w850b last year and I think the heft of the thing saved it too (box weight is over 100lbs.) The box was smashed in one corner so I made the guys wait when I opened it. Everything looked fine until I pulled it out to setup. One of the legs was bent/smashed in. It took nearly a loving month to get a replacement. Fuckers. This was more a problem from buying from "buydig.com", not ordering a TV in general. I'm sure Amazon would have replaced it and credited me $200 with a 3 minute conversation.

How is it? That's what I think I have decided on when I pull the trigger.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I guess there's no easy way to single out the cause of ARC troubles is there. Works sometimes, then it goes intermittently. Tried a couple different HDMI cables, but the ones I have are not new or great by any means. I'm soon going to flip. In the NHL off season my only use for the TV is streaming from the NAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Whoa I got that Disney WOW calibration disc and I had no idea my settings were so hosed .... this (or another tool like it) is essential , seriously