Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

oldpainless posted:

Not a plot spoiler.

In Alien Isolation you find an audio log from Parker from the original Alien movie and he spends the whole time still complaing about how he and Brett are underpaid compared to the others.

There a couple of logs from the Nostromo hidden in the game. They do a good job of expanding upon the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

I was replaying Ace Combat Zero, and I love how in later missions the enemy forces start making GBS threads their pants upon noticing you showing up on the battlefield. Most games don't even acknowledge how much of a badass you are but not Ace Combat, and it's just one of the reasons why I love the PS2-era games so much.

I forget, does the amount of pants-making GBS threads vary on your rank (Merc, Soldier, Knight) or is it just a thing that happens as you progress through the story? ('Sup, ACZero buddy)

Playing through The Elder Scrolls Online, I completed one of the harder Veteran Rank group instances (Veteran City of Ash; brings back bad memories of Oblivion), and when speaking to the NPC that you rescued, she mentions that her fight isn't over because she has "something that belongs to Mehrunes Dagon."

If you look to her side, you see that she has Mehrune's Razor, aka the personal artifact of Dagon himself.

It's the small bits that make this average TES take on the MMO genre decent at times.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Scyantific posted:

I forget, does the amount of pants-making GBS threads vary on your rank (Merc, Soldier, Knight) or is it just a thing that happens as you progress through the story? ('Sup, ACZero buddy)

For pants making GBS threads, story progress. The dialog does change a little bit depending on your Ace Style (Merc, Soldier, Knight) however. If you're a Merc people basically call you a greedy bastard who only cares about money. If you're a Knight people will say you fight with honor or some crap like that.

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Aug 11, 2015

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

EmmyOk posted:

It truly is but I have great hopes for The Phantom Pain being in the same league

It's already confirmed that Quiet will give you a nod and a thumbs up if you look at her while she's in position.

I hope she'll give a silent thumbs down and disapproving head shake if you act like a complete moron.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Starhawk64 posted:

I was replaying Ace Combat Zero, and I love how in later missions the enemy forces start making GBS threads their pants upon noticing you showing up on the battlefield. Most games don't even acknowledge how much of a badass you are but not Ace Combat, and it's just one of the reasons why I love the PS2-era games so much.

The first FEAR kind of does this. I've just been replaying it. The Replica soldiers get increasingly panicked and confused as each individual firefight goes on and you pick off members of each squad. "poo poo!" "Squad, take cover!" "WHERE SHOULD I GO?"

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

The first FEAR kind of does this. I've just been replaying it. The Replica soldiers get increasingly panicked and confused as each individual firefight goes on and you pick off members of each squad. "poo poo!" "Squad, take cover!" "WHERE SHOULD I GO?"

Chucking a grenade and then activating the bullet-time so I can hear them say "FUUUUUCCKK!" in slow motion never gets old. :allears:

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Aug 11, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

All I ever heard was "FLASHLIGHT!" :v:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Sort of related, your soldiers' lines changing depending on how combat is going is one of my favorite little things in games. Giving a tank a move order might get a confident "Sherman on the move" when not in combat, "takin' it to 'em!" if they're winning, a terse "moving" if they're in combat and neither winning nor losing, or a panicked "Get us out of here! Drive! Drive!" if they're losing. It gives your guys a lot of personality and makes the combat feel a lot more intense.

Edit: In Company of Heroes. Don't know how I forgot the name of the game I was posting about.

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Aug 11, 2015

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

William Bear posted:

Alien Isolation has so much great detail. It even goes a little deeper in the typical video game convention of using power tools as weapons, and shows you the other perspective: that of a pissed-off engineer supervisor:

You'll see this right after leaving the room where you get the Bolt Driver.

I love that with the bolt driver, you can actually see how they compromised the safeties. The thing's clearly designed to drive sections of hull plating onto structural members, and so should be grounded to the hull with a big, chunky battery that has an exposed negative contact. Put the battery on the hull plate, and press the front of the driver to the plate to complete the circuit. Squeeze trigger, KTHUMP, plate secure. Move on.

The rear end in a top hat who decided this was good for taking out androids just duct-taped the poo poo out of the battery and grounded the thing to the driver's casing with a spare length of copper cable.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Starhawk64 posted:

Tomb Raider was still the best at this. As silly at it was to have Lara go from mourning killing a deer for food to remorselessly slaughtering an entire army of soldiers over the course of a few hours, having the mercs go from being smug and rapey to making GBS threads their pants at the sight of her by the end of the game was amazing.

"OH poo poo, SHE HAS A GRENADE LAUNCHER!!! :supaburn:"

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Starhawk64 posted:

Ace Combat is fantastic with that. My favorite moment was in 5 where your squadron is ambushed during a routine flyover. They enemy manages to down one of your wingmen (RIP Chopper :smith:) and start going "Heh, they're not so tough. :smug:" But then you start fighting back and they start freaking out about how they're getting wrecked even though they have superior numbers and you're down a man.

I love Ace Combat. :allears:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I appreciate that after killing a guardian and grabbing a sound in earthbound, all the ants/plant/zombies/whatever monsters you've been fighting up until then will run in fear from you. :black101:

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

There's a lot I love about Ace Combat Zero, from the soundtrack, the live-action interviews between missions and the knight motifs (that plane jousting at the end :allears:), but yeah the allied/enemy chatter is also pretty great, starting from the B7R mission:

<< Our support's here? Who did they send us? >>

<< IFF has confirmed it's Galm. The reinforcement team is Galm. >>

* After destroying most of the enemy force *

<< That's the Galm team. Watch and learn. >>

So good.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

Ace Combat is fantastic with that. My favorite moment was in 5 where your squadron is ambushed during a routine flyover. They enemy manages to down one of your wingmen (RIP Chopper :smith:) and start going "Heh, they're not so tough. :smug:" But then you start fighting back and they start freaking out about how they're getting wrecked even though they have superior numbers and you're down a man.

I love Ace Combat. :allears:

AC5 is just brilliant. You and your wingmates go from academy cadets to the most feared squadron in existence, and gets a new codename based on a badass mythological figure, the Demons of Razgriz! :black101:

Ace Combat Zero does a similar thing, you're called The Demon Lord after a few missions.

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 02:01 on Aug 11, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Children of the Nile is an awesome city builder. I liked how the noble's mansions would increase/change based on how wealthy they were and what kind of services you had available to them. Like if you had a statue maker in your city they would decorate their mansion with little statues, or if you had a Tree Seller they would get a palm grove garden.

I also liked when they threw their little parties and your generals and scribes and stuff would get invited.
Yessss, I haven't played that game in years and I feel like such an idiot for selling it. I was a pretty lovely ruler though. I only really cared about making my palace look nicer, building pyramids and giving nobles access to pet monkeys. So of course, there'd constantly be a bunch of people protesting outside of the palace.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Sleeveless posted:

Tomb Raider was still the best at this. As silly at it was to have Lara go from mourning killing a deer for food to remorselessly slaughtering an entire army of soldiers over the course of a few hours, having the mercs go from being smug and rapey to making GBS threads their pants at the sight of her by the end of the game was amazing.

"OH poo poo, SHE HAS A GRENADE LAUNCHER!!! :supaburn:"

That's right! Run, you bastards! I'M COMING FOR YOU ALL!
Such a great moment. :allears:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Smiles posted:

There's a lot I love about Ace Combat Zero, from the soundtrack, the live-action interviews between missions and the knight motifs
All of this,

Smiles posted:

that plane jousting at the end
especially this.

Celery Face posted:

Yessss, I haven't played that game in years and I feel like such an idiot for selling it.

Ten bucks on Steam. I just picked it up because I was itching for a city builder and happened across that post.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Smiles posted:

There's a lot I love about Ace Combat Zero, from the soundtrack, the live-action interviews between missions and the knight motifs (that plane jousting at the end :allears:), but yeah the allied/enemy chatter is also pretty great, starting from the B7R mission:

<< Our support's here? Who did they send us? >>

<< IFF has confirmed it's Galm. The reinforcement team is Galm. >>

* After destroying most of the enemy force *

<< That's the Galm team. Watch and learn. >>

So good.

Ace Combat 04 did this really well too, culminating with the final mission: You're not gonna believe this, Jean-Louis! They ALL have ribbon insignias!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Edmond Dantes posted:

That's right! Run, you bastards! I'M COMING FOR YOU ALL!
Such a great moment. :allears:

It's a drat shame that the grenade launcher itself feels unsatisfying as all hell.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm suddenly sad I never bothered with ace combat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ace Combat was really fun and I regret no longer having access to any of them.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

all I know about Ace Combat is the song "Zero" from Ace Combat Zero and that song owns a lot so Ace Combat is cool in my books

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One of the Ace Combat games has a mob of enemies change sides at the sight of you.

(Which is good because you wouldn't actually be able to win against that many enemies.)

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Ten bucks on Steam. I just picked it up because I was itching for a city builder and happened across that post.
I don't have windows.

In Outlast Whistleblower, there's this one inmate in a straitjacket who slowly follows you around, telling you that he has an itch, you look silky (even though his entire face is covered in bandages) and that he needs to tell you a secret. He never tells you his secret but it made me laugh because it was just so bizarre. The fact that his speech is really muffled, like it should sound, is funny too.

There's another character, Eddie Gluskin, who pops up later and has a bunch of scabs covering his face. He does sound like it, the voice actor probably held his cheek or put some cotton balls in it. Instead of saying "I want you to have my baby," it comes out like "I want you to have my vavy." Eddie in general is a fun character because he's this really twisted Nice Guy, serial killer who preys on men (he's so delusional that he sees them as women who just need to have their "vulgar bits" cut off) because there's no women around. Right when he sees poor Waylon, the main character, he says really creepy things to him and acts like Waylon is some perfect fantasy wife who will fix all of his problems. After Eddie gets rejected, he starts calling Waylon a whore and screams about how all the inmates are ungrateful sluts.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 05:40 on Aug 11, 2015

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Unfortunately the post-PS2 Ace Combat games kinda suck. Go dance with the angels! There's a new free-to-play one that's supposedly decent but with a really, really terrible f2p model.

I've been considering getting a used PS2 just so I could play 5 and Zero again.

Kaubocks posted:

all I know about Ace Combat is the song "Zero" from Ace Combat Zero and that song owns a lot so Ace Combat is cool in my books

That soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjwXI0n5-I

Though honestly I think I loved Five's soundtrack even more. They did a really good job making epic fights feel suitably epic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Qkzj5bStU

ArchRanger has a new favorite as of 06:13 on Aug 11, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

6 is only on the 360 from back when Microsoft was bribing Japan to make Xbox games, so it probably didn't sell very well.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

6 had a weird focus on ground support missions, which, while 'realistic' is boring as gently caress. Just making passing unguided bomb sweeps on things that can't possibly hit you. Then some enemy aces or whatever come out once you're done to finish the mission.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This is really, really little thing, but the boss fade-out sound effect in Mother 3 is satisfying as gently caress, especially just after the Barrier Trio's punchline.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

ArchRanger posted:

I've been considering getting a used PS2 just so I could play 5 and Zero again.
A PS2 slim is small, cheap, and well worth it.

LA LA LA, LISTEN TO OUR BEAUTIFUL VOICE! THIS IS AWACS OKA NIEBA.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Alteisen posted:

I'm suddenly sad I never bothered with ace combat.

You aughta give it a shot someday. The PS2-era titles are really, really good, and are probably pretty cheap to pick up on eBay.

If you're concerned with realism in your arcade flight sim you need to stay away from the franchise, though. Planes sometimes carry hundreds of missiles and an endless supply of bullets, bosses include airborne, cloaked superfortresses and enemy aces equipped with laser beams and/or the equivalent of air-to-air small-yield nuclear bombs, and you are guaranteed to fly thorough at least one indoor/enclosed area in each title.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am following the C & I LP ow Peacewalker and one of the soldiers they recruited mentions finding God in the back of a truck. I'm further ahead in my actual playthrough of the game and at an area where you have to pick what truck some nukes were hidden in. I picked the wrong one and when Snake opened it Kojima the creator of the MGS games was inside and is now recruited as one of my soldiers!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EmmyOk posted:

I am following the C & I LP ow Peacewalker and one of the soldiers they recruited mentions finding God in the back of a truck. I'm further ahead in my actual playthrough of the game and at an area where you have to pick what truck some nukes were hidden in. I picked the wrong one and when Snake opened it Kojima the creator of the MGS games was inside and is now recruited as one of my soldiers!

In Ground Zeroes, you have an exfiltration mission where you need to rescue an intel operative while also killing everyone (unless you want to S-rank it) and after a successful mission you'll temporarily see the rescued soldier in the main menu screen. The soldier is God

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

EmmyOk posted:

MG4 did that first you brute. MGS3 also made Snake vomit if you spun him quickly enough in the survival viewer.

Yes, but Raiden is a cyborg, so it's cyborg puke and therefore a better class of puke. It's puke+. It's a modern man's puke, fortified with nanomachines, son.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yes, but Raiden is a cyborg, so it's cyborg puke and therefore a better class of puke. It's puke+. It's a modern man's puke, fortified with nanomachines, son.

When you throw up puke+ the nanomachines should shake the vomit off like dogs after a swim then crawl back in your mouth!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

EmmyOk posted:

When you throw up puke+ the nanomachines should shake the vomit off like dogs after a swim then crawl back in your mouth!

please don't post excerpts from my slash fanfics

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The newer Gauntlet game got an update today and it's a whole new game with different weapons that do different things and 3 new spell sets for the wizard and a completely different game layout

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Calaveron posted:

It's a drat shame that the grenade launcher itself feels unsatisfying as all hell.

The explosive arrows on the other hand...

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

My only exposure to Ace Combat was Assault Horizon or whatever? The one that is apparently really different from all the other and has a bunch of other vehicles other than planes? Maybe i need to see if i can find 5/Zero at my local used games store.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quill posted:

The explosive arrows on the other hand...

All you need are Napalm Arrows :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

My only exposure to Ace Combat was Assault Horizon or whatever? The one that is apparently really different from all the other and has a bunch of other vehicles other than planes? Maybe i need to see if i can find 5/Zero at my local used games store.

Yeah, it was quite a departure from their normal formula. See if you can find 04, 5, or Zero (all for the PS2) on the cheap. If you still have a PSP, both titles for it are fun as hell, too.