Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Today I learned that bears have lots of feelings. And that's a beautiful thing.

(I started watching We Bare Bears today. It's good.)

Congratulations, bear.

I also like the error message brought on by too much flame gifs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Well the ending to the most recent episode of We Bare Bear was oddly emotional. I don't know if it was just me but the episode looked sort of washed out and dull compared to previous episodes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Well the ending to the most recent episode of We Bare Bear was oddly emotional. I don't know if it was just me but the episode looked sort of washed out and dull compared to previous episodes.

I think it was colored a tad differently but holy poo poo...that ending.

Not gonna lie, I kinda teared up a bit.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think it was colored a tad differently but holy poo poo...that ending.

Not gonna lie, I kinda teared up a bit.

Partly feel it's good, partly feel it's contrived (Seymour Waiting for Fry anyone?)

Baby animals crying is always sad :P

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
so apparently a producer for tmnt 2012 said “Anytime a girl’s on the show they’re usually too powerful… This happened on Teen Titans… I’ve been fighting it with April to not let her get too powerful… Sometimes guys are a lot cooler and easier to deal with… [With Karai and April as the token bad girl and token good girl] we’re kinda maxed out a little bit.”

Tmnt 2012 got maligned by the usual crowd looking to be offended by something not being what is was when they were kids, just looking at the designs and then crying about how their childhood had been raped, but seasons 1 and 2 were really high quality stuff. It was the best show on Nick since Avatar, really. But the show pretty much turned to garbage season 3. The tviv thread's fallen off the map as season 3 started weak and continued to be noticeably not as amazing throughout. I don't feel like checking at the moment who's in charge of what but it would be really funny if this guy was in charge of season 3 or something because this kind of goes against the premise of how april was reimagined in this series JUST so she'd be able to fight and be useful in the turtles battles and hang out with them more and other stuff.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

He even uses the term token to describe the girls, goddamn it, how neckbeardy can one human being get before his lack of self awareness wraps back around to awareness?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

That's really pathetic, and I'm confused as to how Teen Titans plays into it at all. TTG has a number of female characters (all badass) and I'm pretty sure it's not hurting because of it. Hopefully with shows like the ones mentioned in the post you linked and the rant he links to being popular and successful despite the presence of the dreaded POWERFUL FEEEEEEMALE we'll move past the stupid loving inability of television executives to allow their shows to appeal to a diverse audience.

Whiz Palace posted:

Someone said the show's finally popular now that they have an attractive female character, and they're probably right.

Speaking of powerful women, this post made me kind of curious because you'd expect that type of attitude to come from the brony crowd, and they were the only ones I've really seen who paid any attention to Wander Over Yonder for the longest time.

It's a really wonderful show and I'm glad that it's finally getting the recognition that it deserves. The AV Club is even starting to do episode recaps!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

That's really pathetic, and I'm confused as to how Teen Titans plays into it at all.
Is it at all arguable that Starfire and Raven were the biggest power-house of the team?

Speaking of powerful women, this post made me kind of curious because you'd expect that type of attitude to come from the brony crowd, and they were the only ones I've really seen who paid any attention to Wander Over Yonder for the longest time.
I'm also really liking how they've basically set up what I believe will be the reasons for the eventual fall of Lord Dominator in the very episode which serves as establishing her power and competence : her lack of any sentient companions (her little squeeing at the end is kinda sad from that perspective, I think) and her reliance on that lava technology which enables her armor, her ship and her troops to rebuilt themselves and generate ammo.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

X_Toad posted:

Is it at all arguable that Starfire and Raven were the biggest power-house of the team?

No, but he's putting it out there as "powerful girl characters ruin shows" while both Teen Titans and TTG are popular and successful despite the fact that the most powerful characters are girls.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Ah sorry, I just thought one of the implicit truth of this conversation was that this guy was clearly out of touch with reality.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Acne Rain posted:

so apparently a producer for tmnt 2012 said “Anytime a girl’s on the show they’re usually too powerful… This happened on Teen Titans… I’ve been fighting it with April to not let her get too powerful… Sometimes guys are a lot cooler and easier to deal with… [With Karai and April as the token bad girl and token good girl] we’re kinda maxed out a little bit.”

Tmnt 2012 got maligned by the usual crowd looking to be offended by something not being what is was when they were kids, just looking at the designs and then crying about how their childhood had been raped, but seasons 1 and 2 were really high quality stuff. It was the best show on Nick since Avatar, really. But the show pretty much turned to garbage season 3. The tviv thread's fallen off the map as season 3 started weak and continued to be noticeably not as amazing throughout. I don't feel like checking at the moment who's in charge of what but it would be really funny if this guy was in charge of season 3 or something because this kind of goes against the premise of how april was reimagined in this series JUST so she'd be able to fight and be useful in the turtles battles and hang out with them more and other stuff.

Pretty sure that quote came out way before season 3 started, and the dude's one of four executive producers, so at least he doesn't have that much say, but man that sucks to read every time.

And yeah, season 3 started off pretty weak, got some good stuff here and there once the Northampton arc ended, but yeah, even nearing its end it just sorta feels kinda directionless. Like they couldn't stretch the season 2 hook for a whole season, but still tried to stretch it as much as possible and now there's not much to do.

The way they do females is also pretty reflective of what Nieli said: Renet just got a really nice episode but she was still the first new female to show up in a long time and she's a freaking time master, meanwhile Karai's storyline progresses as slow as a snail and then jumps ahead without giving her much importance.

Still like the show, warts and all, but for a good actual female representation in TMNT all you gotta do is check out the IDW comics where lots more characters are around and have agency. Still hopeful the show will improve next season since it seems like going to space is letting everyone stretch their creative muscles.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I sometimes think of checking out IDW tmnt given how much I love what IDW has done with transformers even though the two are pretty unrelated. Maybe I will since I really don't feel like finishing season 3 of the show and am not holding out hope for season 4 (I've heard they might not have the Kraang anymore :smith:)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

I sometimes think of checking out IDW tmnt given how much I love what IDW has done with transformers even though the two are pretty unrelated. Maybe I will since I really don't feel like finishing season 3 of the show and am not holding out hope for season 4 (I've heard they might not have the Kraang anymore :smith:)

Duuuuuude check it out, the IDW tmnt is freaking gold.

If it helps, today's episode had a pretty cool exploration of what went down between Shredder and Splinter back in the day, makes everyone more interesting.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It takes an impressive amount of willing blindness to believe that a cartoon needs to strictly cater to a single sex after the undivided success of stuff like Adventure Time and Steven Universe.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

paradoxGentleman posted:

It takes an impressive amount of willing blindness to believe that a cartoon needs to strictly cater to a single sex after the undivided success of stuff like Adventure Time and Steven Universe.

From a soulless executive perspective, Steven Universe is gold because you can merchandise any of the characters as both dolls and action figures and it would be fine either way.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
While I can agree that the 2012 version of April's weird dimensional power has the potential to getting powerful enough to surpass the need for the turtles or any mutants at all, it's almost impossible to gently caress up Kurai. She was perfect as someone who played on Leo and Splinter's feelings, while being nothing but special property for the Shredder. She had agency and talent and wasn't inherently better than Splinter or Shredder who mastered their art in their own ways. The show's creators could easily sidestep the "threat" of making a time lord girlfriend if they actually put in effort to make some mutated women or more martial artists. It shouldn't be that hard if you just try to make characters and not someone to have a relationship with the existing cast, right?

No, but he's putting it out there as "powerful girl characters ruin shows" while both Teen Titans and TTG are popular and successful despite the fact that the most powerful characters are girls.

To be honest, I think their GO! incarnations are more fleshed out than their initial TV incarnations, but maybe that's just because I'm a raging fanboy.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 10, 2015

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Raven was my favorite part of the original Teen Titans and all my favorite episodes were ones that explored her character (the episode where she switched bodies with Starfire, the episode with the dragon book, the one inside her mind...)
In TTG, I still like her a lot but I like the rest of the cast more than their original incarnations so it's a lot more even.

Jason Ray
Mar 26, 2006
Teetotaling Atheist
So I was watching an old episode of Tiny Toon Adventures....and all of a sudden this happened...

yeah....

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So...What the hell is happening there?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's a bit of a blurry mess, but there's boob groping going on.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Pretty sure that quote came out way before season 3 started, and the dude's one of four executive producers, so at least he doesn't have that much say, but man that sucks to read every time.

Ciro Nielli is the showrunner, so he has very much importance. Maybe his attitude has changed since then but I haven't really seen any statements of his to the contrary.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

Ciro Nielli is the showrunner, so he has very much importance. Maybe his attitude has changed since then but I haven't really seen any statements of his to the contrary.

After checking on this deeper than just a glance at wikipedia it turns out you're right and I should've checked deeper in the first place. I highly doubt he's even changed his attitude and that sucks.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I watched a first season episode of the newest TMNT. While the computer animated characters are some of the worst that I've ever seen, I enjoyed it. It was a happy medium between the carefree original and the more brooding version that came out in the early 2000s. It's a shame a shitheel has taken over, although I've seen worse statements thrown around when it comes to kids' shows- the guy who wrote about Nickelodeon in the '90s had some really questionable views about diversity in those shows today, as if the era he loves so much didn't have a lot of attempts at diversity.

Jason Ray posted:

So I was watching an old episode of Tiny Toon Adventures....and all of a sudden this happened...

yeah....
I loved the music video episode where they had "Particle Man," and I recently read that the song was made by They Might Be Giants. If I had made that connection earlier, I could have gotten into them much earlier. And yeah, Tiny Toons had some weird poo poo in it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

And yeah, Tiny Toons had some weird poo poo in it.

It's oddly appropriate that the show ended because a proto-furry started stalking the voice actress for Babs Bunny to the point where she dropped out of the show entirely.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Y-Hat posted:

I loved the music video episode where they had "Particle Man," and I recently read that the song was made by They Might Be Giants. If I had made that connection earlier, I could have gotten into them much earlier. And yeah, Tiny Toons had some weird poo poo in it.

They said it was by They Might Be Giants in that very episode, I remember because it was the first time I'd ever heard of them as well. That episode also had a video for "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

It's oddly appropriate that the show ended because a proto-furry started stalking the voice actress for Babs Bunny to the point where she dropped out of the show entirely.
Ah, that old tale. I read an account of that story and it said that the psycho furry stalker is still unrepentant about it and just as disgusting as he was 20 years ago. If anyone could find that article, I'd appreciate it, as would much of the thread. Any article talking about it will do in a pinch.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

Ah, that old tale. I read an account of that story and it said that the psycho furry stalker is still unrepentant about it and just as disgusting as he was 20 years ago. If anyone could find that article, I'd appreciate it, as would much of the thread. Any article talking about it will do in a pinch.

I did a quick Google search and all I could find was this write-up of the event and its aftermath.

:stonk:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't remember if that was the exact article I read, but it describes everything perfectly.

quote:

Either before or shortly after the stalking incident (we can't nail down a date), Tom Ruegger (one of the writers for and co-creators of the Tiny Toons show) was interviewed on TV, and related the stalking incidents as one of the reasons for losing interest and moving on to Animaniacs. He said he was fed up with the "internet fans", adding that the final episode of the show (a Halloween special) contained a satirical poke at "the main guy". Falk was indirectly caricatured in that episode as "The world's most terrifying creature", an overweight, pathetic, obsessive, mumbling loser who talked about various flaws in the visual presentation and wondered aloud when Fifi LeFume would get her own show.
After reading that, I'm willing to bet that he was also the inspiration for the "Please Please Please Get a Life Foundation" bit on Animaniacs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNJ6dFwh8a4

VVV The guy is was brought up by one of the creators as a reason for why Tiny Toon Adventures ended, of course people are gonna bring him up when the topic goes to awful wastes of humanity.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 11, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Man, that guy is getting brought up a lot these days. Or at least that article seems to show up when people talk about turbo nerds.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I suppose that puts that one animaniacs skit into context.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Crabtree posted:

Man, that guy is getting brought up a lot these days. Or at least that article seems to show up when people talk about turbo nerds.

If I had to guess recent events about women being harassed by the internet has made it kinda relevant again.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
So I just watched the latest episodes of Star vs. The Forces of Evil and I was like "who the hell is voicing this Pony Head character because she is always just goddamn amazing" and then I went to look it up and my mind was blown:

Jenny Slate

She deserves an Emmy for that role tbh.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

less laughter posted:

So I just watched the latest episodes of Star vs. The Forces of Evil and I was like "who the hell is voicing this Pony Head character because she is always just goddamn amazing" and then I went to look it up and my mind was blown:

Jenny Slate

She deserves an Emmy for that role tbh.

I heard word that the animation studio switched over. Is the visuals still ok?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ConanThe3rd posted:

I heard word that the animation studio switched over. Is the visuals still ok?

It's nowhere near as obvious as "American Dragon: Jake Long", but you notice something's up.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

That's strange though cause she went from voicing an anthropomorphic rabbit to an anthropomorphic uh....cat(?) thing. Furthermore, why would quitting the show do anything? If the dude was already obsessed with her, you'd think he would still be obsessed regardless if she stopped voicing that character.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Mr Interweb posted:

That's strange though cause she went from voicing an anthropomorphic rabbit to an anthropomorphic uh....cat(?) thing. Furthermore, why would quitting the show do anything? If the dude was already obsessed with her, you'd think he would still be obsessed regardless if she stopped voicing that character.

The guy was obsessed with the character. Since we don't live in the reality of The Purple Rose of Cairo or The Last Action Hero, the character can't come to him so he stalks the next "best" thing, her voice actress. When she quit the show, she was no longer his conduit to the cartoon rabbit he wanted to rape, so he stopped stalking her.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

less laughter posted:

They're ramping up the "serious" antagonists in that show recently, aren't they? Between Tom's power and temper, Toffee's smarts and saviness and Heinous' plans for whoever put her school topsy-turvy, we're getting in a different league than Ludo and his minions.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/cartoon-network-we-bare-bears-1201568431/

Cartoon Network has ordered a second season of We Bare Bears. They seem to hand out renewals like candy. Gumball got renewed for a fifth season months before season 3 finished airing, and likewise Steven Universe had a third season ordered before the first season finished airing.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just got into We Bear Bears myself and I friggin' love it. Largely because I stumbled across some utterly adorable fanart and wanted to find out what the heck this show is all about :3: :

Source: http://moosoppart.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Cartoon animals drawn as animes = totally adorbs

But how is tumblr fanart relevant at all?