Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Expensive uniform chat:

I played for a team that was part of Hockey North America for a couple of seasons. If you don't know what HNA is, it's basically beer league with a more formal governing body and tighter regulations, and it's outside of USA Hockey.

Each team is required to have two uniforms and matching helmets (we needed blue helmets). The uniforms, which we had to order through the local Philly branch, were over $100 apiece, but had fully stitched everything, including double-layered numbers and names. We also had to wear matching socks. This poo poo was required.

It was actually the best run beer league I've ever participated in, outside of that nonsense. They enforced skill levels and were super-strict about ringers. However they had that far blue line icing rule, which was a bit odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

shyduck posted:

Expensive uniform chat:

I played for a team that was part of Hockey North America for a couple of seasons. If you don't know what HNA is, it's basically beer league with a more formal governing body and tighter regulations, and it's outside of USA Hockey.

Each team is required to have two uniforms and matching helmets (we needed blue helmets). The uniforms, which we had to order through the local Philly branch, were over $100 apiece, but had fully stitched everything, including double-layered numbers and names. We also had to wear matching socks. This poo poo was required.

It was actually the best run beer league I've ever participated in, outside of that nonsense. They enforced skill levels and were super-strict about ringers. However they had that far blue line icing rule, which was a bit odd.

Doctor Butts and I play in the Cleveland branch, and while they enforce the Light and Dark matching jerseys and matching socks rule, they don't really care about where the jerseys come from. I bought my own jerseys and got them printed from a guy who used to play on our team which was way cheaper than going through the League vendor, which Doctor Butts' team did. Also, Cleveland HNA doesn't care about matching helmets.

I really enjoy this league better than alternative, which is basically a "Fighting, eh? Ringers, what? Did the check clear? ok, game on" league

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's HNA in the Chicago area too, I came across it when I was looking to get into beer league but avoided it because some of the games are held at a rink on the north shore which is like an hour drive for me.

It does seem really well operated though.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Pleads posted:

The idea of a team full of never-evers rolling around in $80 matching home/away jerseys with socks and all of them having skate guards makes me giggle.

Team I'm going to be playing on is captained by a huge Oilers fan. So we gotta have Oilers home/away jerseys. :/

And I work a physical job that involves walking so yeah I'm getting some shot blockers. Will I get a broken foot if I don't? Probably not unless I take a perfectly placed slap shot. But even so, having sore feet for a couple of days sucks.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 10, 2015

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
We just ordered new jerseys, grey with our stupid logo in the middle with names and numbers on the back with matching socks(except for me, naturally) for like 75 each but apparently it's all embroidered. If there's some other team wearing grey then we all put on whatever spare white jersey that's turned brown in the bottom of our bags and go. I like the idea of matching jerseys but at the end of the day, I feel like there's too much time and money spent on a jersey I'll never wear off the ice. Maybe if we could agree on a punny name or have a decent logo but... that day is not today.

doctor 7 posted:

Team I'm going to be playing on is captained by a huge Oilers fan. So we gotta have Oilers home/away jerseys. :/

And I work a physical job that involves walking so yeah I'm getting some shot blockers. Will I get a broken foot if I don't? Probably not unless I take a perfectly placed slap shot. But even so, have sore feet for a couple of days sucks.

We have a guy that got in the way of a teammates shot and broke his foot. When he came back he had skate helmets. They look ridiculous, but apparently work pretty well.

delpheye fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 10, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

delpheye posted:

We have a guy that got in the way of a teammates shot and broke his foot. When he came back he had skate helmets. They look ridiculous, but apparently work pretty well.

They do. That thud you feel when someone sends a puck off your shinguards? Now I get the same thing in my skates. It's like nothing touched me.

And only a couple guys gave me poo poo in the locker room for wearing them. :v:

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

delpheye posted:

These are a thing, and I feel a deep need to get them even though there's no way 3 velcro straps can 1, ratchet down tight enough and 2, stay put for an entire game of hard skating.

When I came back from a long layoff and first tried goalie, I had a hard time getting everything tied. I got these and they worked fine. In fact they probably lock down better then laces. You have to play around with where you put the straps. You are screwing them into the eyelets so hitting that place that gives you a heel lock is important.

For me, they aren't needed now but for someone with an injury or just lack of flexibility they are good.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

sellouts posted:

Black and white are home and away what league wouldn't let you have black and white as your jersey colors. When one team has dark you have white. When one has white you have black. There's no possible conflict or confusion.

Don't worry you can still put your dumb pun as a team name on the front if you must. you'll just save a bunch if it's one color.

And do u even drop in bro, aint nobody you describe has a plain white jersey
:ssh: I was just giving you a little poo poo / trying to make a "you're our resident hockey hipster" joke. :rimshot: Speaking of which, you just reminded me I need to get on the list for drop in on wednesday!

So yeah, had 4 no-shows last night, plus one who DID show but forgot his skates and another that was at the game but not (never does) playing. Ran 1.75 lines and 2 D pair against an almost full squad so needless to say we lost our playoff game last night :toot: Ahh well, it was still fun. Hockey fun.

Then after the game we found out pretty much ½ of our team is jumping over to the new start up league for winter league, and of the other half that remains, 2 are out for school reasons and 1 of them no one likes / want to cut him so... Yeah that leaves like 5 of us that want to stay together in the old league. ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

:ssh: I was just giving you a little poo poo / trying to make a "you're our resident hockey hipster" joke. :rimshot:

yeah i got that it was just really dumb and makes no sense, sorry for giving you the cheapest option that lets people have the most flexibility /usefulness for the jersey after the team disbands or adds new people though

5 forwards 4 d is almost perfect btw, with 4 missing and one without skates were you really going to run 14 people?

Wooty posted:

When I came back from a long layoff and first tried goalie, I had a hard time getting everything tied. I got these and they worked fine. In fact they probably lock down better then laces. You have to play around with where you put the straps. You are screwing them into the eyelets so hitting that place that gives you a heel lock is important.

For me, they aren't needed now but for someone with an injury or just lack of flexibility they are good.

This is interesting -- i really only tighten 2 eyelets and leave the top eyelet unlaced, I wonder if I could just get away with a single strap and just leave the laces where they are now otherwise. Not that I'd ever do it, lacing skates is easy.

Is it too tight, does it feel like you've wrapped laces around your ankles? I hate that feeling.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 11, 2015

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

sellouts posted:

yeah i got that it was just really dumb and makes no sense, sorry for giving you the cheapest option that lets people have the most flexibility /usefulness for the jersey after the team disbands or adds new people though

5 forwards 4 d is almost perfect btw, with 4 missing and one without skates were you really going to run 14 people?

Eh if you're playing in a league where everyone else has 3 lines forward and D and all are decently skilled trying to run two lines is going to get pretty tiring.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I disagree with that (and i'm pretty sure he's not decently skilled).

10 is perfect imo, keeps legs moving and people in the game, build up a good sweat and keeps everything warm. More people is not always better. 14 people skating in games literally caused our last team to break up (and coincidentally the same thing happened to his team).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

sellouts posted:

I disagree with that (and i'm pretty sure he's not decently skilled).

10 is perfect imo, keeps legs moving and people in the game, build up a good sweat and keeps everything warm. More people is not always better. 14 people skating in games literally caused our last team to break up (and coincidentally the same thing happened to his team).

Preach it. Up to twelve can be acceptable if they want an extra set of wingers, but otherwise ten is ideal. Anything past twelve you're performing subtraction by addition.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Better let those NHL scrubs know what's up

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
10 is perfect, unless I have to play more than one game. With three forward lines, you only get like three shifts a period.

I like ice time.

My fall league team is starting this weekend and we have like sixteen on the roster, which is probably too many for a non-summer league.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

bgreman posted:

10 is perfect, unless I have to play more than one game. With three forward lines, you only get like three shifts a period.

I like ice time.

My fall league team is starting this weekend and we have like sixteen on the roster, which is probably too many for a non-summer league.

If you keep you mind on rapidly shifting rolling three lines is awesome. 1 minute shifts to 2 minutes rest. You stay warm and can basically have 3 lines of people all ready to full on skate.

If you've got a line of dudes that barely move as is and sit out for 5 minutes like jack asses then, yeah, it won't work.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We have been absolutely ground into dust by less skilled teams that roll three lines and three sets of D and they seemed to be enjoying themselves just fine in the process

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

More players means I can skate harder for longer. 10 is OK but having an extra set of wingers is godly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like 10 skaters because it seems to make me play with my brain a little more, I'm less inclined to burn a bunch of energy on stupid poo poo. I'd like it better if I was a more efficient skater though, my legs get way too flimsy in the third because I don't get nice relaxing breathers on the bench. 13 skaters conceals that a bit because I get nice long breathers.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Uniform chat: my current team's jerseys were somehow $50 without even getting a logo on the front (though we got names on the back...which I didn't want.) Also, looks like I'm joining another team in a league that requires home and away jerseys :homebrew:

Ice time chat: I prefer 10 skaters but my team has a bunch of fat old dudes so we're better off with a 3rd forward line. I'm usually quietly pissed off about someone taking long shifts and loving up my ice time when we have 11+ though.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Thufir posted:

Uniform chat: my current team's jerseys were somehow $50 without even getting a logo on the front (though we got names on the back...which I didn't want.) Also, looks like I'm joining another team in a league that requires home and away jerseys :homebrew:

Ice time chat: I prefer 10 skaters but my team has a bunch of fat old dudes so we're better off with a 3rd forward line. I'm usually quietly pissed off about someone taking long shifts and loving up my ice time when we have 11+ though.

I'd just bring it up. You all paid for ice time so if one line are out there hogging it all they should just be reminded politely of it.

Don't need to be a dick just phrase it how you want quicker shifts to stay sharp and warm.

Edit: chances are it's more than you who's annoyed at the glider who doesn't skate so still isn't tired after over 3 minutes on the ice

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

HNA requires a roster minimum of 17 (usually 16 & a goalie). The nights when everybody shows up is terrible.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
The problem with a lot of skaters is people don't adjust their game for it. They play like they have to conserve their energy when there's 3 lines to rotate.

Also:

doctor 7 posted:

I'd just bring it up. You all paid for ice time so if one line are out there hogging it all they should just be reminded politely of it.

This does nothing.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I like playing with 2 lines, but I'm pretty sure I play better with 3.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Nitramster posted:

The problem with a lot of skaters is people don't adjust their game for it. They play like they have to conserve their energy when there's 3 lines to rotate.

Also:

This does nothing.

Try rudely then. Start with a jersey then just start feedin' 'em the left, right

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

If you keep you mind on rapidly shifting rolling three lines is awesome. 1 minute shifts to 2 minutes rest. You stay warm and can basically have 3 lines of people all ready to full on skate.

Dude have you ever played beer league who the gently caress is changing every 60 seconds not to mention running time. Come on.

doctor 7 posted:

Don't need to be a dick just phrase it how you want quicker shifts to stay sharp and warm.

... That answers that.

Hockles posted:

HNA requires a roster minimum of 17 (usually 16 & a goalie). The nights when everybody shows up is terrible.

That's miserable. I love team fee. People pay more when they want more ice time and we have room on the roster for subs. Subs can pay the team and we all get cheaper jerseys / beer / refunds with the money.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

sellouts posted:

Dude have you ever played beer league who the gently caress is changing every 60 seconds not to mention running time. Come on.

... That answers that.

Yeah, had multiple games with three lines and just kept the shifts short when everyone showed. You got me though, they weren't 60 seconds spot on but they were probably a minute to a minute and a half. Was definitely the most fun I had playing as everyone was ready to skate their whole shift.

People that took long shifts were told to switch with their line and they did. The one guy who didn't wasn't asked back next season.

I don't see the need to be unironically condescending to people explaining why they like three lines and how they got them to work though.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

Out of shape people.

Also that one chick who's terrified to be on D and just wants to sit down before she cries, not that I know anything about that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I find 60-90 second shift averages in beer league to be such an outlier from the norm that it borders on unbelievable. The lower the level, the worse players recognition of time is. I find it to be silly to think that it ever happens, and when someone jokingly says "tell the nhl they have it wrong" they're pretty out of touch with reality.

But if you got it throughout your team and it works for you, congrats. I just don't see it with stoppages and clock running and long shifts in the second period and people loving around but sure. Glad it works for you thanks for your perspective.

I just wish someone would answer if 14 was the intended number of players they wanted to play. That seems like the worst number possible aside from 16 I guess maybe???

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Out of shape people.

Also that one chick who's terrified to be on D and just wants to sit down before she cries, not that I know anything about that.

Nah, out of shape doesn't stop over half of em. They'll keep going out there. All shapes and sizes don't understand how long they've been on the ice.

And that's another benefit of smaller numbers though, it's just beer league, get over that fear and get on the ice more!!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

3 forward lines owns if you have 3 lines who can score instead of 2 decent ones and a third poo poo line. I do like the rare night when we only have 2 forward lines though.

My silver team had their first playoff game tonight against a team with 6 really good skaters. They out-skated us like crazy in the first and we were down 2-1 for a long time. Then we scored 4 and 3 in the second/third once they got tired and took the game.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

sellouts posted:

For the entire season our best games were when we had 3 full forward lines and 2 D lines. We played 3 D lines I believe a whole 2 times and yeah it was a little weird at first getting "cold" when people were staying out too long - and with the exception of The Guy Who No One Likes we got our changes down a lot better so that solved that. Last night's 5 forwards (2C 3W) and 2 D pair against a full squad in a playoff game, however, was not so good.

And upgraded jersey chat was meant for when the team was sticking together - now with the team bifurcated and split between two leagues: hah, no. We'll be sticking with the league jerseys + a cheap rear end white pending what's left of us sticking together and not just going to draft/other teams.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Option B Skate Strap Chat

I used these on my goalie skates for a while because I was getting pretty nasty lace bite through the wafer thin tongue - they work pretty well, you can get them pretty tight but then the problem is if you play with a deep knee bend like I did, the velcro can't withstand the resistance and would come undone pretty frequently. Probably not so much of a problem for players skates, but when they're under goalie pads smh.

E: We took 2.5 lines with us on Sunday for a 60 minute stop clock game. After double shifting for the whole game, give me 3 lines or give me death (or put me back in goal where I belong).

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
3 D lines aren't the best. Give me 2 D and we do pretty well. Playing just 3 D players suck though because invariably there is that one guy who loves playing up and never back checks.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Short bench is best bench. Our best games have been 6 forwards and 4 D. Not sure about you guys but our games are two ten minute periods and a twelve minute period. We don't need a full NHL team to play through that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My league runs three 17 minute periods with a running clock. We're required to keep 12 people on the team, but I've seen teams play with less than that before. I kind of wish they would do clock stoppages, but at least it keeps the game time down to one hour. This is especially relevant with the 10:15PM start times some nights...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

prom candy posted:

Short bench is best bench. Our best games have been 6 forwards and 4 D. Not sure about you guys but our games are two ten minute periods and a twelve minute period. We don't need a full NHL team to play through that.

Is that stop time? Your games must be over in like 45 min?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the rinks around me are 14/14/12. This fits perfectly into the 1:10 ice slot that's standard in the Chicago area.

10 minute periods seems really stingy.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

10 is the correct number of skaters. Anything more than 12 and you might as well bring a book to read. Especially if you're getting anything less than 15/15/15 periods. If you worry that having too much ice time is affecting your team's compete level — in beer league — you are trying way too hard :colbert:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

Is that stop time? Your games must be over in like 45 min?

Yeah, stop time. Most rinks around here you get the ice for an hour, and that includes zamboni time and warmup. Every league that I'm aware of squeezes their games into 50 minutes or less.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

If you worry that having too much ice time is affecting your team's compete level — in beer league — you are trying way too hard :colbert:

My team's chief worry is that we're all fat and slow and too much ice time means we haven't even caught our breath before the next skater wheezes his way back for a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

We're 14/14/14 stop time periods. Seen other places do 20/20/20 running clock but never heard of 10 minute stop time, that's crazy short and I would agree running 3 lines is overkill for that.

With us though you're getting about 15 minutes ice time of good hard skating (if) three lines do up and that's ok by me. It's a 30+ league and I'm the youngest one on the team at 32.

xzzy posted:

My team's chief worry is that we're all fat and slow and too much ice time means we haven't even caught our breath before the next skater wheezes his way back for a change.

As an asthmatic this is me any time I have to sprint for longer than about 30 seconds.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 11, 2015