Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Rascyc posted:

I don't think those romances added much to the characters but they were funny as gently caress when you had a literal baby object floating in your inventory.

Swooning Jaheira off her feet when her lifelong soul mate was killed just made me think the plot was written much more for the player's edification than adding to her charactization. Her romance is remembered because it's also linked a bit to her Harper side quest which was way better than any romance.

BG2 romances are funny and awful, I'm going to stop thinking about it.

The literal baby option is when it's the main character involved. As are the other things you criticized. I was specifically talking about the NPC to NPC stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Man, killing that first temple full of cultists was really fun! Now to find out if I screwed up the storyline by killing the cult leader too early...

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Darkhold posted:

Eh all game genres have people that flip out over everything.
The biggest ones Ive seen arent RPGs, they were all Starcraft related.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

does ie mod still work with the beta?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Am I dumb, or is the respect option not in the beta yet?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
romances work very well formally. internal development of character neatly corresponds w/ external development of plot. genre fantasy is basically derivative of feudal romance so this is not a big leap. there is probably something fancy & literary you could say about how the unification of personality and unification of society was originally a christian analogy about the fulfillment of love as a principle of the universe (which was supposed to flow out from god). but idk. the point is: i was in love with aerie when I was like 14 so I need an embarrassing and fruity romance to have a full infinity engine experience.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Krowley posted:

Pillars of eternity, apparently

Ending up with a lovely stronghold because they were preoccupied with not upsetting people who hate bad strongholds is some real Terminator time travelling poo poo. Makes you think.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Ending up with a lovely stronghold because they were preoccupied with not upsetting people who hate bad strongholds is some real Terminator time travelling poo poo. Makes you think.

In the end... we had to kill them to save them. It was the only choice.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Wait, what.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Roobanguy posted:

does ie mod still work with the beta?

You can see the mod compatibility in the page, but AFAIK the mod is only updated when a non-beta patch comes out.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

People must really have been mad about Crossroads Keep in NWN2. Or maybe the Storm of Zehir one (although the entirety of Zehir was rubbish).
Enough that Obsidian are now scared of doing anything stronghold related!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

As a modern RPG player, if I can't date or gently caress the stronghold, I ain't interested.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hey guys remember those games that weren't crowd-funded? Remember how the players who didn't fund the game didn't complain that the features they didn't specifically fund weren't up to their non-existent expectations?

isn't that relevant? I'm so cool :cool:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's really a shame that PoE was developed at essentially right before Unity game modding became something that wasn't prohibitively expensive to pursue. At the very least we might have things like expanded class dialogue or w/e.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's really a shame that PoE was developed at essentially right before Unity game modding became something that wasn't prohibitively expensive to pursue. At the very least we might have things like expanded class dialogue or w/e.
There's always PoE 2.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Kurtofan posted:

Wait, what.
He's referring to the optional aspect of the Stronghold and how it has no bearing on the story itself. It was designed that way because there is apparently some critical mass of people who absolutely loathe Strongholds.

Whether that speaks to the overall quality of the Stronghold is anyone's guess. The best answer we ever got on that was that it was very hard to design it in the first place so that it was optional.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

There should be more perks for having a maxed out stronghold, like a discount everywhere/reduced crafting cost/artillery support on outside zones

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Taear posted:

Or maybe the Storm of Zehir one (although the entirety of Zehir was rubbish).

The Overland Map was fun and the trading system was a good idea (but easily abused - I think I had 15 million gold pieces at the end of the game). Also the "custom party" thing was a nice feature I'm glad they kept for PoE.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Overland Map was pretty great, though it was let down by the butt-slow engine which couldn't load between battle levels and the over map quickly enough to realize that Final Fantasy-ish feel.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I was thinking of doing a ranged Cipher for my first full runthrough.

Stats were going to be the following:
Might: 18
Con: 3
Dex: 18
Per: 3
Int 18
Res: 15

But is using Perception as a dump stat alright with the changes in 2.0? Should I lower Resolve to compensate?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Scorchy posted:

Overland Map was pretty great, though it was let down by the butt-slow engine which couldn't load between battle levels and the over map quickly enough to realize that Final Fantasy-ish feel.

Yep. Everything took loving forever.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Have they explained why they're splitting the expansion in two? It seems strange and makes me think they need a quick cash injection. I have the expansion through the kickstarter but I'm hoping its a fair price.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The stated reasons were to capitalize on release buzz before everyone shelves the game, as well as finding there was a natural breakpoint when scoping the expansion. Money probably ties in with that first reason.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

FriggenJ posted:

I was thinking of doing a ranged Cipher for my first full runthrough.

Stats were going to be the following:
Might: 18
Con: 3
Dex: 18
Per: 3
Int 18
Res: 15

But is using Perception as a dump stat alright with the changes in 2.0? Should I lower Resolve to compensate?

With the new changes I'd max Dex, then make an even distribution between Might, Int and Per till around 17/18 maybe, pump Con with whatever's left and then dump Res.

Optimal race is probably Wood Elf or Aumana.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 9, 2015

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Does the expansion take place after the main story?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

insider posted:

Does the expansion take place after the main story?

It's a side area you can start accessing one you get Caed Nua about 1/3rd through the game.

If you load a before-endgame save and return to it you have the option to scale the content up to the appropriate level.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Scorchy posted:

It's a side area you can start accessing one you get Caed Nua about 1/3rd through the game.

If you load a before-endgame save and return to it you have the option to scale the content up to the appropriate level.

Thanks... I'm still early in Act 3 so trying to figure out what I want to do.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I have a terminology question. According to my Kindle's dictionary, "Leaden" means either "very heavy" or "made of lead." Which definition is correct for the "Leaden Key" ? I'm not a native english speaker so I might have missed the proper sense.

Scorchy posted:

Is it strictly when you load the before-endgame save that you can do that? I figured you'd get a pop-up (whatever your progression in the critical path is) upon first launch asking you if you want to scale or not (ie: default or maxed-out level of enemies).

insider posted:

Thanks... I'm still early in Act 3 so trying to figure out what I want to do.

I would recommend to finish the game, but then load the save that the game makes right before the point of no return and do the extension. As far as we know it won't make a difference in the way the main story plays out so there's really no need to wait.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I've been assuming that it's "heavy".

The name of the group then referring for the difficult world they must undertake in order to unlock the future they think is desirable.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Furism posted:

I have a terminology question. According to my Kindle's dictionary, "Leaden" means either "very heavy" or "made of lead." Which definition is correct for the "Leaden Key" ? I'm not a native english speaker so I might have missed the proper sense.

I reckon it can mean both and has no single definition. The schemes that the Leaden Key are up to are definitely "very heavy", as in they hold a lot of gravity. But a key can be made from a substance, such as lead, and Woedica also has a Paladin order called the Steel Garrote, which again has the "substance - item" naming.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

Both, but probably emphasis on "made of lead." "Leaden" just means "very heavy" because lead is heavy. Nobody would ever say like "he dropped leaden beats" or something, it's only use as a denoter of weight would be metaphorical, i.e., "that briefcase felt leaden" meaning "that briefcase was so heavy it felt like it was made of lead."

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Cool, thanks for all that. Does a key made of lead has a specific meaning, or does the name just sounds cool (maybe because of the double entente that Konsek pointed out) ?

Also, on a totally different note, is anybody aware of any "rule" that Obsidian used to create people names in the game? I couldn't find anything in the Guidebook. I'm asking because I have an itch to build a name generator (based on gender/culture) but short of putting syllabs together I have no idea how to build names that make sense.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Both, but probably emphasis on "made of lead." "Leaden" just means "very heavy" because lead is heavy. Nobody would ever say like "he dropped leaden beats" or something, it's only use as a denoter of weight would be metaphorical, i.e., "that briefcase felt leaden" meaning "that briefcase was so heavy it felt like it was made of lead."

The OED actually lists the literal "made of lead" usage as archaic, which matches my experience. It's not a prosaic word at all.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Furism posted:

As far as we know it won't make a difference in the way the main story plays out so there's really no need to wait.
All true, however you can take the companions of the expansion into the main game, so I guess you could miss comments and the like from them.

quote:

Also, on a totally different note, is anybody aware of any "rule" that Obsidian used to create people names in the game? I couldn't find anything in the Guidebook. I'm asking because I have an itch to build a name generator (based on gender/culture) but short of putting syllabs together I have no idea how to build names that make sense.
You probably can't go wrong with Inuit names for boreal dwarves, at least. Speaking of, any LoK fan think that there is a common origin between the names "Yakone" and "Yakona" (that last one is how one of Sagani's children)? And speaking of Sagani's family, is there a Batman reference there, you know, about the even Robins not getting to survive?

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 9, 2015

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Furism posted:

Cool, thanks for all that. Does a key made of lead has a specific meaning, or does the name just sounds cool (maybe because of the double entente that Konsek pointed out) ?

The wiki has this: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Personal_Names

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Autonomous Monster posted:

The OED actually lists the literal "made of lead" usage as archaic, which matches my experience. It's not a prosaic word at all.

I'm surprised it doesn't list both meanings that way. I guess items actually made of lead are pretty rare these days because of, you know, poisoning.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm surprised it doesn't list both meanings that way. I guess items actually made of lead are pretty rare these days because of, you know, poisoning.

I still miss lead minis though.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

More stuff coming out of Gamescom, think the embargo lifted this morning. PC Gamer article here: http://www.pcgamer.com/the-story-of-pillars-of-eternity-the-white-march-part-i/ and RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/11/pillars-of-eternitys-white-march-improves-as-well-as-expanding/

- More info for the new companions, the Devil of Caroc and Zahua
- New dungeon called Cragholdt Bluffs
- More bounties and a new dragon that's tougher than the Adra Dragon
- Part I of the expansion won't end on a cliffhanger

Also from tumblr:

quote:

aristotleomissis asked: Hi, Josh! With The White March raising the level cap from 12 to 14, has anything been done for the critical path in terms of rebalancing and/or scaling? One of the criticisms that Pillars of Eternity got was a sharp decrease in difficulty near the end, especially after reaching levels 11-12; at 14, I can only imagine how quick a job I could do of the final fight.

There are a few things that I think will ameliorate those problems. The first doesn’t do anything for people who have already blasted through the whole game, but a few patches ago, we did tune a lot of the mid-game side content XP tables so the player wasn’t overleveling so quickly. The progression feels a lot more appropriate now IMO.

Second, the work we’ve done on party AI does help a lot of main campaign enemy AI, especially if that AI relies on using a lot of class abilities. We tuned some of the instruction sets, with a focus on the mid- to late-game, so those enemies should provide more of a challenge overall.

Finally, we did do some light tuning on the endgame fight so it should be more challenging. If you’re really high level, the endgame area will also prompt you and ask if you’d like to scale the difficulty. It doesn’t provide any additional reward; it’s just for players who want a more challenging fight.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm at the end of my first run after the XP re-tuning and I could realy tell the difference from before. I've just finished the god favor quests, halfway through the bounties, just after that Vithrak level in Caed Nua, killed Raedric 2.0 and did pretty much all of the side content except a few of the companion quests - and I just reached level 12 on most of my party. I've never felt frustrated by the leveling pace and it definitively feels more reasonable than before. Obsidian really did a good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Will I be able to just load up my save from before going into the last dungeon and just play the expansion from there?

• Locked thread