Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Why are these universes colliding?

Incredibly powerful beings outside of the multiverse with nearly unlimited power over the multiverse did it to see what would happen.

If you look closely there might be a metaphor for comic writers hidden in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

MasterBuilder posted:

You're all missing the point. Did you see the building? They flipped the bitch!

I hope Doom organizes a charity film festival in order to pay for all the damages they caused while they were rioting at a college level.

Dr. Hurt fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 11, 2015

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

So, given the undeniable parallels, how does Marvel's latest event stack up against CoIE?

I'm not really hoping that it's better, so much as I'm hoping they do something novel with the "imploding multiverse" idea.

Edit: I apparently can't keep DC's events straight.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ecavalli posted:

So, given the undeniable parallels, how does Marvel's latest event stack up against CoIE?

Secret Wars is way, way, way better.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
How come this isn't "Secret Wars 3", anyway? :mad:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

prefect posted:

Because that ran in the Fantastic Four comic series. (Around issue 320. It involved Molecule Man and the Beyonder.)

So this would be Secret Wars IV: A New Hope.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Question IRL posted:

Because that ran in the Fantastic Four comic series. (Around issue 320. It involved Molecule Man and the Beyonder.)

So this would be Secret Wars IV: A New Hope.

Oh poo poo, you're right. That's when they created a new Cosmic Cube and made the Beyonder way less powerful than he had been.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ecavalli posted:

Only one issue is like Crisis. For the rest it's in a remade world... like Flashpoint :D

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
That's what this is building to, right? Marvel's first Crisis-like company wide reboot, where everything past this point will be the same but different?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CzarChasm posted:

That's what this is building to, right? Marvel's first Crisis-like company wide reboot, where everything past this point will be the same but different?

Its the same except there will be characters added.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Not a reboot.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

prefect posted:

No one knows that there were any before this one.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
They were ... SECRET :colbert:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Wait, so the Secret Wars where Fury had Spidey, Wolverine...and some other dudes invade Latveria doesn't count in the numbering? IT HAS THE NAME IN THE TITLE IT COUNTS

VVV It has 90% of the name in the title IT COUNTS vvv

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 11, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Wait, so the Secret Wars where Fury had Spidey, Wolverine...and some other dudes invade Latveria doesn't count in the numbering? IT HAS THE NAME IN THE TITLE IT COUNTS

Secret War not Wars.:doom:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Secret War not Wars.:doom:

So just to be clear there's a set of Secret Wars called "Secret Wars" and a completely different, non-intersecting set of Secret Wars called "Secret War"?

Thanks, that cleared it up for me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

flosofl posted:

So just to be clear there's a set of Secret Wars called "Secret Wars" and a completely different, non-intersecting set of Secret Wars called "Secret War"?

Thanks, that cleared it up for me.

Secret Wars involve the Beyonder and battle planets. Secret War involves Nick Fury sending in a team of heroes illegally to overthrown Latveria's non- Doom government.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Secret Wars involve the Beyonder and battle planets. Secret War involves Nick Fury sending in a team of heroes illegally to overthrown Latveria's non- Doom government.

Because it turned out they were secretly funding a bunch of low level tech villains, paying for their equipment and sending them off to cause mayhem by robbing banks and other crimes.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The best thing about Secret War was, since this was a Nick Fury op that was insanely illegal and could create a international incident, the best course of action to keep this under wraps and no way distinguishable was to get Spiderman with a covert ops outfit that is still Spiderman as hell and have him jump around and fight all Spiderman-like.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The best thing about Secret War was, since this was a Nick Fury op that was insanely illegal and could create a international incident, the best course of action to keep this under wraps and no way distinguishable was to get Spiderman with a covert ops outfit that is still Spiderman as hell and have him jump around and fight all Spiderman-like.

Considering how many spider-derivatives there are around these days there's plenty of plausible deniability there.

"No, Senator, that wasn't Spiderman. Are you aware of the number of times that Spiderman has been cloned or otherwise imitated over the years? I think you can find a torrent with his DNA in it on the Pirate Bay by now. It was probably AIM or the Hand or something. Hell, Tony Stark cloned Thor the other day, you should go talk to him."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spider-Man used more or less that defense before (albeit by getting his friends to put on Spider-Man costumes and do Spider-Manny things in court).

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Heresiarch posted:

Considering how many spider-derivatives there are around these days there's plenty of plausible deniability there.

"No, Senator, that wasn't Spiderman. Are you aware of the number of times that Spiderman has been cloned or otherwise imitated over the years? I think you can find a torrent with his DNA in it on the Pirate Bay by now. It was probably AIM or the Hand or something. Hell, Tony Stark cloned Thor the other day, you should go talk to him."

I mean, you can get Klaw off BitTorrent. P2P superpeople is the future today!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Something something 3D printed webshooters.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Travis343 posted:

Something something 3D printed webshooters.

Man, now I'm imagining a Marvel universe version of Defense Distributed, where not only is Cody Wilson pushing the boundaries of the first, second, and fourth amendments but also providing additional tools that do that. Including a downloadable version of the plans for a chemical synthesizer that comes with a file which generates liquid Terrigen or something.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Secret Wars is way, way, way better.

They're different beasts for different times, both very good in their own way. CoIE is great, but it's also dense, stilted and extremely unforgiving if you can't wrap your head around a pre-1986 DC approach to comics. Secret Wars by contrast plays a lot like a digest version of the kind-of stuff CoIE was getting at, but also features one of the very best "take all our action figures and put them into new roles" approaches I have ever seen in comics. The whole Thor-police force and giant pit of Marvel Zombies/Annihilation Wave/Ultrons alone justifies the entire mini.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Heresiarch posted:

The Sperg Force

The Power Autastic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

They're different beasts for different times, both very good in their own way. CoIE is great, but it's also dense, stilted and extremely unforgiving if you can't wrap your head around a pre-1986 DC approach to comics. Secret Wars by contrast plays a lot like a digest version of the kind-of stuff CoIE was getting at, but also features one of the very best "take all our action figures and put them into new roles" approaches I have ever seen in comics. The whole Thor-police force and giant pit of Marvel Zombies/Annihilation Wave/Ultrons alone justifies the entire mini.

That approach being "Hickman does fanfic for his fantasy bookshelf with Marvel characters and he's been reading a LOT of ASoIaF"?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Gaz-L posted:

That approach being "Hickman does fanfic for his fantasy bookshelf with Marvel characters and he's been reading a LOT of ASoIaF"?

The saltiness in this post goddamn. Could start a Lays factory on this post.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

P. much. Being fair if it wasn't Hickman's fanfic it'd be someone else. The inmates have been ruling the asylum at the Big Two since the 1980s at least.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Superstring posted:

The saltiness in this post goddamn. Could start a Lays factory on this post.

Not salty, actually, mostly amused at how blatant Hickman has been with it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman #43

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow okay so if you take batarangs and make them small and shoot them out a gun at people's heads it turns out they're pretty lethal!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Wow okay so if you take batarangs and make them small and shoot them out a gun at people's heads it turns out they're pretty lethal!

Jim doesn't have that silly rule.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not sure anyone there's dying from the batarangs.

e: I mean, this guy's okay...
:)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 13, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If there's half a batarang in your brain I'm pretty sure you're dead or you'll wish you were.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

They're like an inch and a half deep embedded in their foreheads

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Teenage Fansub posted:

They will die from massive bleeding since that shark ripped off a few legs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Y'know Bruce Wayne could make a double killing if he had a controlling interest in Gotham City Medical Care.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SynthOrange posted:

If there's half a batarang in your brain I'm pretty sure you're dead or you'll wish you were.

They're all sleeping, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Fighting Batman is exuasting, and criminals often have to nap afterwards.