Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Confusion posted:

It is still amazing to me that this movie's opening weekend it seen as a abysmal failure, while it has earned about the same as Titanic, the second highest grossing movie of all time. Sure, there is inflation and all, but still...

From what I can tell online, this movie opened on a hell of a lot more screens than Titanic.

And the reason Titanic did so well? People saw it again and again and again, so it always stayed on the top. I doubt this will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Confusion posted:

It is still amazing to me that this movie's opening weekend it seen as a abysmal failure, while it has earned about the same as Titanic, the second highest grossing movie of all time. Sure, there is inflation and all, but still...

This isn't a good comparison because the movie industry was completely different back then.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Nouvelle Vague posted:

And the reason Titanic did so well? People saw it again and again and again, so it always stayed on the top. I doubt this will happen.

Yea what made Titanic unique was that it just kept going and going. It had a decent opening weekend but then it had that same weekend over and over again for like 8 weeks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

Yea what made Titanic unique was that it just kept going and going. It had a decent opening weekend but then it had that same weekend over and over again for like 8 weeks.

Well, also it stayed in theaters for like 8 months.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Confusion posted:

I don't mean to add to a pile-on since I'm sure you're just making an off-hand comment, but just for conversation's sake there's a LOOOTTT of context you have to take into account. Titanic's opening weekend was 18 years ago, on a lot less screens, during the holiday season where weekends are a little deflated and grosses tend to get spread throughout the week, and was higher than expected, and the movie was also getting great reviews and word-of-mouth, with Christmas and New Year's still ahead. You could tell the movie was off to a very strong start.

Fantastic 4 opened in the summer where bigger weekends are expected, in a genre where bigger weekends are expected, in many more screens, with 18 years' worth of inflation, in a series that previously opened with twice as much, and the movie underperformed even modest expectations and has garnered horrible reviews and word-of-mouth. You can tell the movie is not off to a good start and it's certain to drop like a rock.

So, with context it's actually pretty easy to see why these two movies could debut with the same numbers but be judged completely differently.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Ape Agitator posted:

Most of the examples are studio-forced casting choices which in retrospect turn out to be far better than the director's choice. But that's a crapshoot because plenty of times the person forced in can be terrible. And there's more than a few examples of director's cuts being bloated and including really bad storylines with the caveat that many (most?) DCs are just non-director-driven padding to make home releases more attractive.

But studios often push for new endings which sometimes work out far better in the end. Army of Darkness and Final Destination spring to mind.

It's a crapshoot for when they hurt and when they help but filmmaking is a collaborative process and they sometimes, sometimes bring something to the table other than money and connections.

Fair points, but I'm specifically talking about instances where a studio takes the film away from the director and re-edits/reshoots the film without their cooperation or consent. It seems like that almost always raises more problems with the film itself than it solves, at a higher cost and at a risk of extremely bad buzz.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Did anyone else like this movie besides me?

I mean, personally I wish there were no fight scenes, they cgi was terrible and everyone just looked ridiculous, but basically enjoyed everything but those scenes.

If this movie just focused on Ben/Johnny becoming militarized, Dr. Storm/Reed/Susan working on fixing things, and Doom's relation to the other planet, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

According to Rotten Tomatoes, yes. 14 other people also liked this movie.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I think the problem of this movie is there is a complete lack of crowd pleasing moments.

Only Reed and Doom had their moments, but Reed's was very short and ended with him knocked out in 1 hit anyways. Doom had a much better scene, but that too ended in a lame manner.

This isn't a real blockbuster action movie, and that's why its being rejected. FOX probably saw that, as some of y'all have alluded to.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

computer parts posted:

Well, also it stayed in theaters for like 8 months.

You realize that's BECAUSE it kept performing, week after week, right?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Surlaw posted:

You were upset about the goofy name Planet Zero in a story about Dr. Doom?

Upset? Hardly. I just thought it was hilarious that somebody thought it was a totally better name than "the Negative Zone", and then they still kept stuff like Dr. Doom in (even if Doom was only called such as an off-hand joke).

It's pretty generous too to say the story was "about" Doom, as his only characterization was being 1) creepy about Sue, 2) feeling threatened by Reed, and 3) being a romanticized Snowden-esque anti-authority type. Of those three qualities, only the last is relevant at all when it becomes full-blown genocidal misanthropy. He is a macguffin as much as Reed's dimension-hopping machine was.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jenny Angel posted:

Yeah next time you feel like a sci-fi story is trying too hard to give its planet a cool name, remember that all but one planet in our own solar system is named after a dead god of an ancient empire.

Which makes it extra-goofy that the planet in this one was called Planet Ominous Letter. Reed could have dubbed it Planet Nautilus or whatever, he had that Nemo thing going for characterization, right?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Surlaw posted:

Blade Runner

I'd agree with this, but I'm really unforgiving of the voiceover version. I'm not sure if it's bad per se, but I can see how it would get clobbered (:backtowork:heh:backtowork:) by something like ET. Not sure how ET also buried The Thing (Carpenter) in the same weekend though.

Also, the Donnie Darko director's cut is pretty bad. The first cut worked better, but I suppose that highlights that it's a bad movie.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

second-hand smegma posted:

Also, the Donnie Darko director's cut is pretty bad. The first cut worked better, but I suppose that highlights that it's a bad movie.

I really like Donnie Darko but the directors cut really messes the movie up by trying to explain things.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Four Score posted:

Upset? Hardly. I just thought it was hilarious that somebody thought it was a totally better name than "the Negative Zone", and then they still kept stuff like Dr. Doom in (even if Doom was only called such as an off-hand joke).

How loudly did you yell this out in the theater?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ghostwritingduck posted:

I really like Donnie Darko but the directors cut really messes the movie up by trying to explain things.

I'd argue that what messes up the DD Directors Cut isn't the explanation stuff. Having the contents of the Plot Books float about was a good idea since characters kept bringing up the book throughout the movie. It's everything else that sinks it.

"This movie makes sense if you read this other thing" was and remains an unacceptable thing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is Planet Zero thaaaat weird? I took it as like, a temporary codename placeholder for a newly discovered thing. Like if we found a new dwarf planet or something. There's no situation where the Negative Zine Zone flies.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

ALFbrot posted:

You realize that's BECAUSE it kept performing, week after week, right?

For reference; Titanic made 20-30M a weekend for like two months and still stayed #1 for 2 months after that. It was a set of legs we haven't seen since with the sole exception of Avatar.

F4 has nothing going for it; Titanic still got good reviews, Cameron had production problems but his film was good despite that and word-of-mouth was so much better than the pure venom you will see online.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Can China right this ship? I hope at least the studios reshot some scenes for those markets.

Maybe that explains the wig...

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Hold on, do you mean THE Philip Glass?!

He apparently spent alot of time discovering new arpeggios for this project. Too bad they'll go to waste.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Is Planet Zero thaaaat weird? I took it as like, a temporary codename placeholder for a newly discovered thing. Like if we found a new dwarf planet or something. There's no situation where the Negative Zine Zone flies.

It was funnier when it was Unobtanium.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Can China right this ship? I hope at least the studios reshot some scenes for those markets.

Maybe that explains the wig...

Apparently China only has so many slots for foreign releases and they don't want to waste one on FF. China cannot help this movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

Apparently China only has so many slots for foreign releases and they don't want to waste one on FF. China cannot help this movie.

What are you talking about?
Can you source that change? FF was slated to go to china along with several other movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Drifter posted:

What are you talking about?
Can you source that change? FF was slated to go to china along with several other movies.

I'll have to look in the Comic Book Movie Thread, I got that bit from there. That's why I put the "apparently" in there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I mean, personally I wish there were no fight scenes, they cgi was terrible and everyone just looked ridiculous, but basically enjoyed everything but those scenes.

If this movie just focused on Ben/Johnny becoming militarized, Dr. Storm/Reed/Susan working on fixing things, and Doom's relation to the other planet, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

I just got back from seeing this, and while I won't say I liked it, I thought it was mediocre, which is a long way from 3.9 or whatever it currently has on IMDB. I mean, I went into this expecting it to be as bad as something you'd see on MST3K. Let down by internet hype again...

I do think the ending was absolutely terrible, though. That more than anything made it clear just how much the studio likely hacked this movie to pieces.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I have to assume even if they remain firm on a sequel, there's no way Trank is back right

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If a movie has a very low IMDb/RT/critic score, that doesn't mean it's always a bad movie that's worth watching for fun (MST3k). Sometimes it means a movie is a boring piece of poo poo (Fant4stic).

Sorry for stating the obvious.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Justin Godscock posted:

For reference; Titanic made 20-30M a weekend for like two months and still stayed #1 for 2 months after that. It was a set of legs we haven't seen since with the sole exception of Avatar.

More like 4 months; noted classic Lost In Space was the movie that finally bumped it out of the #1 spot in April. It was a combination of well-liked movie, hype and weak competition that we might never see again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

second-hand smegma posted:

I'd agree with this, but I'm really unforgiving of the voiceover version. I'm not sure if it's bad per se, but I can see how it would get clobbered (:backtowork:heh:backtowork:) by something like ET. Not sure how ET also buried The Thing (Carpenter) in the same weekend though.

While it came out a month earlier, I recall that The Thing was destroyed by Conan the Barbarian which was mega huge and untouchable IIRC according to some special features on The Thing DVD releases. E.T. also hurt The Thing on VHS for a bit too since of course people were all about more optimistic stuff like Return of the Jedi and E.T. itself.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 12, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Four Score posted:

Oh hell yes "Planet X? More like.....THE NEGATIVE ZONE AMIRITE?!" *gets like five blowjobs while being paraded around the theater by the applauding pations*

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Why would you call it the Negative Zone when it's a planet?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

PoshAlligator posted:

The first half of the movie is the best film FF origin. There's a lot of greys and genuinely interesting characters.

But, that goes to poo poo.

Great origin maybe in a time when it's not wanted, with the film rushing to a Saturday Morning climax.

Maybe the government should have been the antagonists. Maybe at one point they were.

I can actually identify the exact moment when the movie turns to poo poo for me. It's just after the origin when the time jump occurs and you watch everyone feel like poo poo and you're just like "where the gently caress is Reed?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I feel the same way a lot of people felt in that F4 probably would have been a decent movie with lots of detractors if they kept the tone of the first half all the way through. The body horror motif that was there (and what Trank wanted in interviews and his drunken online ramblings on 4chan) but...eh, that's kind of a dark thing to have when F4 is all about a dysfunctional family who bands together when Doom threatens to take over the Statue of Liberty or something. Yes, it's to show how these people would react to being made of rocks or stretching themselves but trying to go Cronenberg with it is just off-putting. But, Trank made it believable and I was actually following the first half wondering where they were going with it.

Then "1 year later" happens and it all goes to poo poo. I was actually amazing, and I mean AMAZED, at how undercooked Doom was when he showed up. He basically arrives, goes "yup, I'm bad...time to die" and pulls a plan out of his rear end to destroy Earth and make Planet Zero his kingdom despite it being a dead ball of rock. The thing that sucks is the film actually has a brief moment of excellence where Doom is wandering down the hallway exploding heads and everyone's reaction is honestly frighteningly realistic like it was from a better film. But he's still a metal man with green veins who is a near God who never decides "hey, let's make the F4's heads explode because I can because I am a deity essentially".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Justin Godscock posted:

who never decides "hey, let's make the F4's heads explode because I can because I am a deity essentially".

They were immune to that because they all had planet X power.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Justin Godscock posted:

F4 has nothing going for it; Titanic still got good reviews, Cameron had production problems but his film was good despite that and word-of-mouth was so much better than the pure venom you will see online.

Cameron also isn't a bitch and likely would not let the studio boss him around. I'd be willing to bet on him telling studio execs, straight up in their face, to gently caress off at one point or another.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In the very first Fantastic Four origin comic, Johnny Storm screams out in horror, "You've turned into monsters... both of you!! It's the rays!! Those terrible cosmic rays!", as his own body starts to spontaneously combust.

Ben and Reed are trying to beat eachother to death, in a battle over Sue's affections.

Reed tries to calm everyone down by saying they should work as a team and use their powers for good, but then he not only calls himself Mr. Fantastic but names the entire team after himself without consulting the others. Reed is drawn separate from the rest of the group, standing over them. Ben only agrees to join because he wants access to Sue.

Fantastic Four has always been horror. The 'family values' stuff is a hastily-imposed illusion designed to disguise and repress their collective monstrosity. We can call ourselves a family and pretend there's nothing wrong.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

teagone posted:

Cameron also isn't a bitch and likely would not let the studio boss him around. I'd be willing to bet on him telling studio execs, straight up in their face, to gently caress off at one point or another.

Think he had a teeny bit more clout than this guy after The Terminator and Aliens and T2...

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

teagone posted:

Gee that would be a greeeat strategy for a director trying to make it in Hollywood on his first major picture.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'd accept a total change in genre to some sort of existential horror. With how old superheroes are, changing them is often the best way to give them some more, very needed spice.

Especially if said horror is worked through to strive toward America's Finest Family in a future movie. Seeing a genuine character shift as they work through their tensions with each other and their new, horrific circumstances over a trilogy could be incredibly poignant, and the development needed to reach said point could avoid the "nothing happens in the second movie" pratfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Despite the criticism of calling it Planet Zero, to me it seems like in some way it was just them wanting to keep the potential Negative Zone designation and design completely untouched for a sequel centered around that. Just like something such as Marvel doing a flick called "Thor: The Dark World", Fox doing a movie called "Fantastic Four: The Negative Zone"* sounds about right...

(*RT doesn't have that as the current ratings on this film yet, right?)

FF: TNZ sounds like it could be the title of a Cronenbergian other-dimensional SF/Horror flick.

• Locked thread