Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oxxidation posted:

Just don't get discouraged if you run into a really good player. The Oxenfurt innkeeper in particular is a motherfucker.

That bastard let me have a turn just so he could steamroll me next two times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jack of Hearts posted:

There really should be a means of highlighting merchants you haven't victimized yet for Collect 'Em All. Or, better yet, just disabling quests. I obediently beat every merchant I met in the whole wide world while beating the game and have no idea what I'm missing, so when I replay, I'd like a means of explicitly stating "gently caress that poo poo" via menu.

What I did is always play a merchant until I beat them. Then, if the gwent option is greyed out in their conversation menu, I know I've played and thus beaten them. (You'll know you've gotten all the reward cards when you beat a new merchant and get something that isn't a card.)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My basic strategy in gwent, playing as Northern Realms, is to win the first round as efficiently as possible. I gain a card and then can go all-in next round for the win. I find out early on if I can win the first round efficiently, so if I can't, I'll try to force my opponent to win as expensively as possible. A 15 pointer is good here because they will probably have to play 2 more cards after I pass. This helps mitigate the fact that I am missing out on the extra card from winning the first round.

I always drop my spies as soon as I get them, because more options sooner is always better. Also, spies played on round one go in your opponent's discard pile, which means they might medic them back on round two, which is fine, because then I can decoy them and play them a second time. If you get to play 2 spies in round one, there's a reasonable chance that the AI will see it's up 15-0 and pass, which means you can win in 2 cards. This is an ideal situation because you have a win and 11 cards to their 9.

Um... I don't really know who I was telling this to.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What I did is always play a merchant until I beat them. Then, if the gwent option is greyed out in their conversation menu, I know I've played and thus beaten them. (You'll know you've gotten all the reward cards when you beat a new merchant and get something that isn't a card.)

That's what I did. Either there was a merchant I never found, or the quest bugged for me, as two minor treasure hunts did. But even though I enjoy Gwent, it's super tedious completionist dreck anyway. If I complete all the Gwent quests (aside from the aforementioned) and collect all the hero cards, leave me alone.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
For some reason I have a really hard time distinguishing if dialogue options are grayed out. It is a fact that I need new glasses though, so that might be related. My TV is also kind of lovely. I swear to god I've never buying and kind of electronic appliance at a retail store again with researching that exact model. Both my Brother printer from staples and my LG TV from Sams Club are some obscure demo model that don't have full features or driver support.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's probably a random town merchant, the internet is full of copy-paste stuff from the guide, which is wrong/incomplete about where the gwent merchants are. I wouldn't sweat it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls really spoiled me on accuracy in wikis. all the Wild Hunt wikis I've found so far are hilariously incomplete and incorrect.

At least I assume there aren't Enhanced and Superior Decoctions

edit: The thing where merchant/etc icons don't always appear on the map is basically the worst thing. I don't even know why you can filter icons on the map if it doesn't help you find things. Even if they aren't available at the current time of day, marking the location you should go and look for them would be super handy. It also seems unrelated to that. The one blacksmith in Novigrad never shows up on the map until I am 15 ft away from him. Even if he's there.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 12, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Some things are just flagged to not be on the map, I have no idea why. It even updates the counter on the map screen if you are nearby. The gwent quest to play lambert didn't have a location marked and the internet told me "he's at the Nowhere Inn" as if that helped.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Jack of Hearts posted:

There really should be a means of highlighting merchants you haven't victimized yet for Collect 'Em All. Or, better yet, just disabling quests. I obediently beat every merchant I met in the whole wide world while beating the game and have no idea what I'm missing, so when I replay, I'd like a means of explicitly stating "gently caress that poo poo" via menu.

Use gwentcards.com, you won't get all the cards by just beating slubby merchants; many unique ones are bought from innkeepers.

Edit: poo poo, I didn't refresh. Seems this was answered already.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Anti-Hero posted:

Use gwentcards.com, you won't get all the cards by just beating slubby merchants; many unique ones are bought from innkeepers.

Edit: poo poo, I didn't refresh. Seems this was answered already.

The problem is this doesn't help when you're already a hundred hours in.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I used some spreadsheet and I'm missing a couple duplicates, and I have some extras.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Snak posted:

Dark Souls really spoiled me on accuracy in wikis. all the Wild Hunt wikis I've found so far are hilariously incomplete and incorrect.

At least I assume there aren't Enhanced and Superior Decoctions

edit: The thing where merchant/etc icons don't always appear on the map is basically the worst thing. I don't even know why you can filter icons on the map if it doesn't help you find things. Even if they aren't available at the current time of day, marking the location you should go and look for them would be super handy. It also seems unrelated to that. The one blacksmith in Novigrad never shows up on the map until I am 15 ft away from him. Even if he's there.

Yeah, I really hate that. I think every merchant should have a permanent marker and something that tells you their hours, like they did in some of the Grand Theft Autos when missions were available only at certain times.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I don't know why the village of Downwarren had it coming. Are they responsible for sending parents off the the tree to be killed so they can send the orphans to the crones to be eaten? Is that the kind of dark pact they have going on?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I just finished Bald Mountian, killed Imlerith and resuming quests and contracts. How far from the end am I? And do any other sidequests or contracts open up, or just the ones I had from before?

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

People who pick stuff up at notice boards without reading them are really missing out. Skellige ones are the best.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I don't know why the village of Downwarren had it coming. Are they responsible for sending parents off the the tree to be killed so they can send the orphans to the crones to be eaten? Is that the kind of dark pact they have going on?

Yep, on replay (I lost my save about 30 hours in due to OS install issues), the adorable little girl Ciri saves in her first transition is explicitly sent on the "Trail of Treats" because the family has too many mouths to feed and she spilled some milk. gently caress Downwarren. They made the sacrifices as balanced as possible on both sides because :thatswitcher:, but to hell with that village.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Jack of Hearts posted:

Yep, on replay (I lost my save about 30 hours in due to OS install issues), the adorable little girl Ciri saves in her first transition is explicitly sent on the "Trail of Treats" because the family has too many mouths to feed and she spilled some milk. gently caress Downwarren. They made the sacrifices as balanced as possible on both sides because :thatswitcher:, but to hell with that village.

I realized what the Trail of Treats was intended for immediately when she said it and thought, "gently caress, that is dark." Gretka was from Downwarren? Where do you pick this up from?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Romes128 posted:

So I just finished Bald Mountian, killed Imlerith and resuming quests and contracts. How far from the end am I? And do any other sidequests or contracts open up, or just the ones I had from before?

You're a couple of quest chains away from the end. Something around 6 hours of gameplay if you only do the main ones I think

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Eh... there are children in Downwarren who are presumably blameless and unaware of what some of the grownups do, and it could be argued that the people of Velen really don't have much choice in the matter when the Crones are practically omniscient and omnipotent within the confines of Velen. I originally felt bad that I didn't contribute to Downwarren being wiped out, but the more I thought on it the more I'm not so sure laying waste to an entire village and getting Anna and Philip killed, all while unleashing some mad spirit into the wild, is such a good idea.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Regarding the crones and Downwarren;

The Trail of Treats is for unwanted or children that the parents can't care for. When you crash the feast the villiage have for the crones later on in the game and you talk to that old guy, you get the impression they don't explicitly know the kids get eaten. I also don't think they know the witches are all busted and ugly, since they only communicate through the tapestry that shows them as normal naked ladies. Regarding PRESIDENT GOKU's first post about it, I think those people getting killed in the forest was that tree spirit thing acting out.

I could be misremembering some stuff though.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I realized what the Trail of Treats was intended for immediately when she said it and thought, "gently caress, that is dark." Gretka was from Downwarren? Where do you pick this up from?

Well, the only evidence I have is that if you happen to open up the world map as Ciri at that point you're in the southernly area near the swamp. And you're proceeding north with the girl's knowledge, I suppose, since she might have been from a village off map. But Downwarren is the only nearby, explicitly Crone-associated village.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
You guys just made me realize Gretka is alone with a bunch of assholes in charge of Crows Perch. At least the baron would have kept an eye on her. :ohdear:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I didn't see anyone else mention it skimming over the last 200 posts, so regarding she-who-knows: I don't have a source to site but I just remember several mentions (probably while asking about the situation) that there used to be a circle of Druids and one went a little crazy or something along those lines. Maybe the crones and she-who-knows masqueraded as Druids and it was simpler to just let the whole "circle" disappear to sell the story of why poo poo changed. Didn't know about the book until you pointed it out to me but I imagine it's correct based on the poo poo that happens in game.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 12, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Plus side of not freeing She-who-Knows is that if you kill it, eventually you get to kill both it and (most to all, depending) of the Crones, so there's that, long-term.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You'd have to be either hopelessly stupid or willfully deceiving yourself not to realize that trail of treats thing was bullshit. And if they really didn't know, then that elder on Bald Mountain wouldn't feel the need to defend his actions.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Restarted my shirtless death-march run, and after a few hours I crash any time I fast travel or meditate :(

Loaded a save about an hour prior, same problem. Anybody have any ideas?

Edit: I know there was a problem with Skellige-Novigrad travel, but I'm still in White Orchard.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

No shirt no service

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Poolparty posted:

No shirt no service

The Emperor's Chamberlain doesn't gently caress around, he's spread word throughout the Empire about that shirtless chump :colbert:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
There's all this debate about all these different choices in Witcher 3, but let's not forget the most important choice:

Did you bow or not to Emhyr?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

CVagts posted:

There's all this debate about all these different choices in Witcher 3, but let's not forget the most important choice:

Did you bow or not to Emhyr?

I prefer to bow because "I did it for the chamberlain, we're friends." is a better joke than "Can't teach an old wolf new tricks.".

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I felt bad for not bowing cause the dude said he'd get punished for it. Oh well gently caress him. Wtf is a chair anyway right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I prefer to bow because "I did it for the chamberlain, we're friends." is a better joke than "Can't teach an old wolf new tricks.".

Haha, that was my reasoning too. Plus the callback later on when you show up and make another ridiculous bow and just piss the Emperor off is great.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Basic and superior oils are completely random drops, right? I'm almost finished the game (just finished Bald Mountain), and I still don't have basic draconid oil :mad:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The way Geralt bows in both instances is more of a clever gently caress you to Emhyr than just not bowing. Not bowing is for rubes. Bowing sarcastically is for the masters.

Edit: You can find oil recipes on alchemists or herbalists as well.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Antti posted:

The way Geralt bows in both instances is more of a clever gently caress you to Emhyr than just not bowing. Not bowing is for rubes. Bowing sarcastically is for the masters.

Edit: You can find oil recipes on alchemists or herbalists as well.

This man gets it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

webmeister posted:

Basic and superior oils are completely random drops, right? I'm almost finished the game (just finished Bald Mountain), and I still don't have basic draconid oil :mad:

When in doubt, check the Pellar, or the herbalist in Rannvaig on ard skellig. The latter is where i got my draconid oil. I still haven't found Elementa oil :(.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You can find a bunch of alchemy recipes just by reading books if you're ignoring those. Bestiary updates too

Edit: Please say the landmass I see on the map + Skellige is the entire world. If it's much bigger than that I'm never gonna finish this game.

Like, I saw the tutorial lands, Oxenfurt, Novigrad, and know about Skellige. The paper map that comes with the game shows more.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Aug 12, 2015

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
loving Reddit Atheists...

Just... Just *sigh* this rear end in a top hat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Plus side of not freeing She-who-Knows is that if you kill it, eventually you get to kill both it and (most to all, depending) of the Crones, so there's that, long-term.

How do you get to kill all of the Crones? I got two of three and the last one flew off with Ciri's medallion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

How do you get to kill all of the Crones? I got two of three and the last one flew off with Ciri's medallion.

You get to kill the last one in one of the potential endings